Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A defining year for Luck?

CR91

For years now, the argument for Luck has been he has no o-line to protect him, no running game to take pressure off of him, and no defense to carry the team when the offense is having a off game. Now Luck has arguably the best o-line in football, a potent running game, and a defense that led the league in scoring defense after week 7 along with a bonafided star in Darius Leonard. Also Andrew is 100% percent healthy for the first off-season since 2015. Everything is there for Luck and the colts to really do something special in 2019 barring injuries. imo, this is the year that will define Andrew Luck's history and his place among the elite QBs in the NFL. 

• Like 2

New England has lost a ton of talent on offense and defense. Same for Pittsburgh. Barring some sort of crazy setback or injuries, there’s absolutely no reason for this team to not at least make it to the AFC Championship game imo. 

I think having a full season under Leonard and Nelson’s belt, Houston being here, as well as Doyle coming back and Cain/Funchess, our offense and defense will be stellar. 

• Like 1

Andrew Luck has done more with less his whole career. We always wondered what it would be like if he had the defense and run game Russ had, or the weapons Big Ben had, or the coaching Brady and Brees have etc etc. 

This roster is far from elite, but the Colts have a solid run game, an elite Oline, great (and getting better) coaching, and a defense that plays better than you would think. 

The pressure will be on. But I have utmost confidence that he'll handle it. 

I am looking at the beginning of a stretch of years that will define Luck’s career and I believe earn his place in the HOF. I think with Ballard and Reich he has the opportunity for rings. We need to add a little more fire power on both sides of the ball. It was our O that could not get going vs KC. I’m confident that will get taken care of.

If multiple rings is going to happen Andrew has to control his inner Brett Farvre. I love Luck wouldn’t want anyone else under C but for a guy as smart as he is man does he have a tendency to make some bad decisions. Those may come from always feeling like he has to make the play. That feeling should slowly turn into trust of his teammates especially the D as the team develops. I look for big things from Luck the next 5-8 years 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

For years now, the argument for Luck has been he has no o-line to protect him, no running game to take pressure off of him, and no defense to carry the team when the offense is having a off game. Now Luck has arguably the best o-line in football, a potent running game, and a defense that led the league in scoring defense after week 7 along with a bonafided star in Darius Leonard. Also Andrew is 100% percent healthy for the first off-season since 2015. Everything is there for Luck and the colts to really do something special in 2019 barring injuries. imo, this is the year that will define Andrew Luck's history and his place among the elite QBs in the NFL. 

I agree with a lot of the above, but I think to say history will define him by just this year is maybe a bit too far.

I understand the notion, but I think to put it all on 2019 when a lot of the team is still so young sets expectations a bit too high.  It is a big year but there is still plenty time for the legacy to be set.

• Thanks 1

With where the division is now(Patriots depleted, Chargers lines a mess, Steelers in freefall, Chiefs with no defense, most other teams building up) there really isn't any excuse as to why this team can't make the AFCCG at minimum. Things have lined up quite nicely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I agree with a lot of the above, but I think to say history will define him by just this year is maybe a bit too far.

I understand the notion, but I think to put it all on 2019 when a lot of the team is still so young sets expectations a bit too high.  It is a big year but there is still plenty time for the legacy to be set.

I point to 2019 because of the reasons listed above, but also as others have mentioned the AFC is wide open for the taking. The pats, chiefs, and steelers all got worse, the chargers haven't made many moves this off-season and just lost one of their top wrs, and the raiders and browns only look good on paper. Honestly, only the ravens scare me at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I point to 2019 because of the reasons listed above, but also as others have mentioned the AFC is wide open for the taking. The pats, chiefs, and steelers all got worse, the chargers haven't made many moves this off-season and just lost one of their top wrs, and the raiders and browns only look good on paper. Honestly, only the ravens scare me at this point. 

Another fair point.

I still think the Chiefs are the ones to beat but that poor defence, which relied on its pass rush so much last year, really does have a lot of holes to fill.

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Another fair point.

I still think the Chiefs are the ones to beat but that poor defence, which relied on its pass rush so much last year, really does have a lot of holes to fill.

The chiefs imo will take a step back, they didn't do anything to address their RB situation other then sign Hyde which isn't really an upgrade and they might lose Hill for some time this year if he gets suspended by the league. Not to mention, their pass rush is now done to Chris Jones.

I don’t think the Steelers will take a step back. They still have JuJu and without the distractions they might be better.

It does look like the chiefs will take a step back but with Mahomes I don’t think they can be counted out. We will see if teams learn to play him better and he takes a step back this year. 

Never count our the pats. Until a team step step up in that division they are going  to keep winning that division.

To your point, this team is set up for success better than it ever has been. 

Every single aspect of our team, from the GM, to the coaching, to the trainers, to each individual squad on our roster is better than it ever has been in the Luck Era (outside of special teams being somewhat equal. A younger Vinny and Pat punting you could argue is better than current Vinny and Rigo.)

The run game, the O-Line, the receivers, the TE's, the defense... it's all the best it's been during the Luck Era.

Seeing our 2nd year guys develop, bringing in some impact starters from this year's draft... we're gonna be built to hang with anybody.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think the Steelers will take a step back. They still have JuJu and without the distractions they might be better.

It does look like the chiefs will take a step back but with Mahomes I don’t think they can be counted out. We will see if teams learn to play him better and he takes a step back this year. 

Never count our the pats. Until a team step step up in that division they are going  to keep winning that division.

Juju doesn't have AB anymore to roll away coverage, he needs to prove now he can a one without AB. 

Teams now have a whole year of Mahomes to breakdown his weaknesses and him not having a run game and maybe Hill, will put a lot more pressure on Mahomes to deliver on his own. 

Brady wasn't brady in all honestly last year. Another year and Brady might just become a game manager. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

To your point, this team is set up for success better than it ever has been. 

Every single aspect of our team, from the GM, to the coaching, to the trainers, to each individual squad on our roster is better than it ever has been in the Luck Era (outside of special teams being somewhat equal. A younger Vinny and Pat punting you could argue is better than current Vinny and Rigo.)

The run game, the O-Line, the receivers, the TE's, the defense... it's all the best it's been during the Luck Era.

Seeing our 2nd year guys develop, bringing in some impact starters from this year's draft... we're gonna be built to hang with anybody.

I'd take the 2012 Reggie Wayne, TY, Brazil combo over what we have now at WR. I think defense needs more for us to truly compete but we are getting there. Can't wait for draft day.

2 minutes ago, rayski said:

I'd take the 2012 Reggie Wayne, TY, Brazil combo over what we have now at WR. I think defense needs more for us to truly compete but we are getting there. Can't wait for draft day.

You want two rookie wrs and an aging vet?

39 minutes ago, rayski said:

I think our defense is not there yet. We need one more year to truly aim at the super bowl. We'll see after the draft.

They're an edge rusher opposite Houston to be Top 5 in the league un my opinion. Year two should see a big jump.

Luck will have a good year. Not going to say it's a defining year. 

Last year, coming back from injury, he was 5th in yards, and 2nd in TDs. And he did all that with arguably the worst WR by committee group (stat wise) in the top 10-15 Os in the league. 

IMO, it's more of a defining year for Reich's O scheme. There's more Qs about his short/fast attack than Luck. Year two should tell us a lot more. 

Plus Luck has an entire off season and training camp and not worrying if his shoulder will be ok.

2nd year in the same Offense 

A whole year's chemistry with Ebron

Mack in his 3rd year, 2 rookie RB's in their 2nd year

Doyle (Mr. Security Blanket) is coming back
Colts might actually have a pass rush now

Lots of things to be excited about. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm fairly sold on the Browns tbh. They looked good by the end of last season, not just on paper. Now add that, on paper, they got better, then I think they could be a real contender for their division, and wildcard at the least. But as a disclaimer I do think we are the clear favorites to breakout big this next season. We didn't get worse at all through FA, arguably got a bit deeper and still have a full draft ahead. I'm pretty stoked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Plus Luck has an entire off season and training camp and not worrying if his shoulder will be ok.

2nd year in the same Offense 

A whole year's chemistry with Ebron

Mack in his 3rd year, 2 rookie RB's in their 2nd year

Doyle (Mr. Security Blanket) is coming back
Colts might actually have a pass rush now

Lots of things to be excited about. 

I agree but, now depth at position , with all of the injuries that can occur makes for consistently,

as the season rolls on. That's why if For some reason Luck goes down late in the season, heaven forbid, It's great that we have a good back up, for a change.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Juju doesn't have AB anymore to roll away coverage, he needs to prove now he can a one without AB. 

Teams now have a whole year of Mahomes to breakdown his weaknesses and him not having a run game and maybe Hill, will put a lot more pressure on Mahomes to deliver on his own. 

Brady wasn't brady in all honestly last year. Another year and Brady might just become a game manager. 

You really going to count on that?  I mean really count on that happening?

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

You really going to count on that?  I mean really count on that happening?

As long as no teams push the Patriots , Yes the statist quo. The Patriots have thrived on a weak division to be fresh when play off time goes for 2 decades. would that have made a difference?

Maybe some years. 

12 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

New England has lost a ton of talent on offense and defense. Same for Pittsburgh. Barring some sort of crazy setback or injuries, there’s absolutely no reason for this team to not at least make it to the AFC Championship game imo. 

I think having a full season under Leonard and Nelson’s belt, Houston being here, as well as Doyle coming back and Cain/Funchess, our offense and defense will be stellar. 

New England can lose talent players and replace them and get the same production. Why does this happen? The scheme from Belicheck. They won’t take a step back this year just watch

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

New England can lose talent players and replace them and get the same production. Why does this happen? The scheme from Belicheck. They won’t take a step back this year just watch

Not to mention they are almost guaranteed a home playoff game with that horrible division. Jets might compete but we will see.

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

People have been Copying the Scheme from  Belicheck for more than a deck ad . With not much results. They have been grabbing DE  coaches  as well as OF coaches for years. So I think it goes a little beyond Belicheck' s Schemes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

The chiefs imo will take a step back, they didn't do anything to address their RB situation other then sign Hyde which isn't really an upgrade and they might lose Hill for some time this year if he gets suspended by the league. Not to mention, their pass rush is now done to Chris Jones.

What did KC need to do to address the RB situation? Williams had

250 all purpose yards and 4 TDs in two playoff games and came up huge down the stretch. He killed the Colts in their game.

Hyde is fine as depth. And they still have the draft to bring in another guy.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

What did KC need to do to address the RB situation? Williams has 250 all purpose yards and 4 TDs in the playoffs...he killed the Colts.

and williams had 30 yards vs the pats. you really think williams is the answer for the chiefs?

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

What did KC need to do to address the RB situation? Williams has 250 all purpose yards and 4 TDs in the playoffs...he killed the Colts.

I hope they don't address it. LOL  We don't the them to get better

Just now, CR91 said:

and williams had 30 yards vs the pats. you really think williams is the answer for the chiefs?

He also had 60+ yards receiving and 2 TDs in that game against NE as well.  He’s a versatile RB who was great down the stretch.

If the Colts had scooped up Williams and gotten that type of production...people would be very high on the Colts run game. 

He’s part of the answer for KC...sure. But RB wasn’t really an issue for them last season (and definitely not against the Colts)...so I don’t see how bringing Williams back makes them easier to beat. And they can always draft one as well.

Pass rush is a definitely a different story. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

He also had 60+ yards receiving and 2 TDs in that game against NE as well.  He’s a versatile RB who was great down the stretch.

If the Colts had scooped up Williams and gotten that type of production...people would be very high on the Colts run game. 

He’s part of the answer for KC...sure. But RB wasn’t really an issue for them last season (and definitely not against the Colts)...so I don’t see how bringing Williams back makes them easier to beat. And they can always draft one as well.

Pass rush is a definitely a different story. 

I still think the chiefs will look for a better RB. If that was hunt, that would have been a lot more damage

7 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I hope they don't address it. LOL  We don't the them to get better

I am sure they will add a RB in the draft...but it’s not like Williams makes it easier for the Colts. He’s not Kareem Hunt...but he is might actually a good RB in that scheme. That’s all I am saying.

Andrew Luck had his “defining” year in 2012. He was replacing Peyton Manning. So far so good. It takes a team to win a championship, not just one guy. I would love to see us win it this coming season. Andrew has proved himself already. The team as a whole needs to have a defining moment now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rayski said:

Reggie, Ty, and Austin Collie, yes all day, but the depth behind them was rough, especially with losing collie. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

Let's not forget.... NE picked up Josh Gordon last year, who is a stud. The Gronk loss will hurt, but not kill them. NE will be able to pick up a good TE in the draft if not sooner. I doubt BB takes a TE with the 1st pick (maybe), but there are several very good TEs that will fall outside of the first round. BB has a good scheme, but he's got a lot of nice players too. And he's the best coach in the league. 

5 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I'm fairly sold on the Browns tbh. They looked good by the end of last season, not just on paper. Now add that, on paper, they got better, then I think they could be a real contender for their division, and wildcard at the least. But as a disclaimer I do think we are the clear favorites to breakout big this next season. We didn't get worse at all through FA, arguably got a bit deeper and still have a full draft ahead. I'm pretty stoked.

Agree man, really could see a changing of the guard in a lot of divisions, Bears, Colts, Browns. Really enjoy watching what is happening to the Steelers and Pats. Hate is a strong word, so maybe loathe those teams. Na, I hate em lol. As far as Luck, I would say this year is very important but career defining, I dont know. He has years to do that.