Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

1 minute ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

If the Colts take Isabella early in the 2nd round, is anyone going to be upset?

I would. I wouldn't want him any earlier than the 3rd. This class is looking real good, especially the WRs. Isabella isn't one of my top choices as far as an early 2nd.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'd rather hope to get him at 59, but I don't think he'll make it. I think he's going to be a really good NFL WR. I can see him easily being a Kupp/Thielen-type player and producing big early. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd rather hope to get him at 59, but I don't think he'll make it. I think he's going to be a really good NFL WR. I can see him easily being a Kupp/Thielen-type player.

I think you're spot on here. And I think there's probably a 1% chance he's there at #59 as well.  I wouldn't have a problem with the Colts taking him with their first 2nd round pick. He might even be gone by then anyhow. This draft is plenty deep at WR, so taking one later is probably the smart move.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I can see him easily being a Kupp/Thielen-type player and producing big early. 

Why a Krupp/Thielen type player? 

How does Isabella compare to those specific players??? :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would. I wouldn't want him any earlier than the 3rd. This class is looking real good, especially the WRs. Isabella isn't one of my top choices as far as an early 2nd.

What's not to like about him? I'm with you as far as the depth of the WR group but I have a feeling that Isabella might be special and I'd be totally fine if the Colts took him there. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I always go for solid football players that have the mental side down like Ballard, but once you have your draft board of 100 or so players that fit that criteria, then you have to rank them another way. The Combine and individual pro days are how you do that IMO. Fans do overrate the Combine, but it does measure statistics like Speed, Strength, Acceleration, Elusiveness etc...

Ballard just said him and his scouts just come off 8 straight days of 16 hours a day studying film of college players. He said he has eliminated all those players down to I think he said 300. 

Now it's up to the players to explain to him why they made a certain play at one point. What were they thinking. Did they pass the blame to others during a mistake or take responsibility?

I think Ballard has already made his list of players he is interested in. He found those in the tapes he has been watching. He said he has 15 minutes with these players to talk with them. He already knows all the measurables. the combine can tell him now it's the maturity and leadership he is looking for. He more than likely has a player or two not even invited to the combine in mind.

Does Ballard value the Wonderlic scores? IDK?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I wouldn't be happy 

26 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd rather hope to get him at 59, but I don't think he'll make it. I think he's going to be a really good NFL WR. I can see him easily being a Kupp/Thielen-type player and producing big early. 

As for the kupp and theilen comparison they're  about 3 inches taller and 20 more pounds heavier also having wingspans about 2 inches longer and larger hands. I think a better comparison would be Percy Harvin or Phillip Dorsett. 

Also Kupp's 40 time was 4.62 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I wouldn't be happy 

As for the kupp and theilen comparison they're  about 3 inches taller and 20 more pounds heavier also having wingspans about 2 inches longer and larger hands. I think a better comparison would be Percy Harvin or Phillip Dorsett. 

You clearly missed the comical point of the Kupp/Theilen comp. And to compare Isabella to Dorsett is laughable. I don't think the Harvin comparison is close either. Harvin was a gadget player and Isabella just isn't.

21 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Why a Krupp/Thielen type player? 

How does Isabella compare to those specific players??? :lol:

Maybe because they are guys who came in and were expected to be that #2 or #3 option and could end up outproducing the top dog. Sure, I'll tell you what YOU want to hear, he's white and so are the others, but I'm looking at how all 3 play the game and how Isabella could come in emulate those 2 as being a top dog for their team when they weren't expected or considered to be. 

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I wouldn't be happy 

Harvin is also a good example, but I wasn't really talking about physical attributes. 

Kupp ran 4.45 at the combine I believe

8 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Maybe because they are guys who came in and were expected to be that #2 or #3 option and could end up outproducing the top dog. Sure, I'll tell you what YOU want to hear, he's white and so are the others, but I'm looking at how all 3 play the game and how Isabella could come in emulate those 2 as being a top dog for their team when they weren't expected or considered to be. 

Harvin is also a good example, but I wasn't really talking about physical attributes. 

Kupp was slow and you compared them because they're white. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Here's his profile I found

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/cooper-kupp?id=2557898

39 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now it's up to the players to explain to him why they made a certain play at one point. What were they thinking. Did they pass the blame to others during a mistake or take responsibility?

My favorite part of Pat Mac's interview with him. 

What happened on these plays you screwed up? When they start by blaming others, goodbyyeeee. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

You clearly missed the comical point of the Kupp/Theilen comp. And to compare Isabella to Dorsett is laughable. I don't think the Harvin comparison is close either. Harvin was a gadget player and Isabella just isn't.

I mean if we're talking tangibles they are pretty similar, about the same weight, closer in height than most other wrs and there combine numbers are super similar. I also think he will have a hard time dealing with Pro Cbs and catching the football because one of his weaknesses is body catches.

But yes I did miss the comical point

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I mean if we're talking tangibles they are pretty similar, about the same weight, closer in height than most other wrs and there combine numbers are super similar. I also think he will have a hard time dealing with Pro Cbs and catching the football because one of his weaknesses is body catches

As far as measurable go, yea they might be similar. The whole body catch thing can be corrected in less than a week if that's an actual issue. 

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

eh, your measurables affect how you play, that's why WRs with small hands usually don't make it into the NFL

Not sure what this has anything to do with what I posted. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree on fans looking at numbers perhaps a bit too much. But so do some of the teams drafting. John Ross is a recent example that comes to immediate mind.

I'm enamored with combine numbers and measurements as much as anybody, but IMO game film is king. There's a laundry list of combine all stars that didn't amount to anything in the league.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It may not be the hardest to learn,  but it's probably pretty close to it.    Top-10?    Top-5?

So, maybe,  among the hardest?

After googling the question, it looks like you might be correct. I was always under the impression English was somewhat easy to learn....the basics anyway....but difficult to master.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

After googling the question, it looks like you might be correct. I was always under the impression English was somewhat easy to learn....the basics anyway....but difficult to master.

I always heard that too. I think it's what American teachers tell students to make them feel better about being *(insert inappropriate word for stupid) and inferior to China and other more educated/intelligent societies. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

What's not to like about him? I'm with you as far as the depth of the WR group but I have a feeling that Isabella might be special and I'd be totally fine if the Colts took him there. 

He's too short IMO. We have someone that is Isabella's ceiling in Hilton already, and I'd much more prefer a larger receiver that can dominate larger Cornerbacks. JMO, but Isabella wouldn't be worth that high of a pick for the Colts specifically.

22 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Try explaining to a foreigner why we pronounce "Kansas", "Arkansas", "Kernel", and "Colonel" the way that we do.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the heads up.   Didn’t connect those dots.   My bad.

I like Butler.   Have for a while.   But not at 26 or anywhere else in the first round for that matter.

Round two or later please....

If we can get him with that later 2nd I'd be even happier but I just dont know where hes gonna go 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we can get him with that later 2nd I'd be even happier but I just dont know where hes gonna go 

I'd the colts want Butler it's gonna be at 26 or 34.  And I'm never ever wrong lol.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

How does that change your evaluation ? Do you think he's a potential X receiver? How high would you take him? 

Honestly, the combine has very little to do with my personal evaluation. Prospects train every day months on end for each individual test. It is a good way to decide between closely rated prospects. For instance he for sure is put ahead of K'Neal Harry and Hakeem Butler. However I still rely heavily on production and not just potential. I can definitely see the hype behind him, but hes still not my top WR. Baring some bizarre incident he will be going in the first round and likely a top 10 pick. In my own world I am still not taking him until the second round. 

• Like 2

but to add to the discussion i’m fond of what a Hakeem Butler, n’keal Harry or D.K. can do for this offense.

- i personally feel our o line is set

- another LB like Darius would be ideal lol

- WR is a concern but creative play calling could go along way. say what yu want but Mcdaniels and Reid show why they’re above the rest. 

- a nasty CB like Deandre Baker would go along way 

- athletic pass rush is nice so building the DL w this scheme is probably the most important for sustainable success. 

- i’m cool w the RBs we have but i wouldn’t mind Bell