Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

21 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Broad jump = most useless metric.

Not according to Pat Kirwan, especially for the players in the trenches.  Broad + Vertical + Reps = Explosion number.  >70 is elite level, > 65 very good.

It's not football, and is (according to Mike Mayock, now GM of the Raiders) the underwear Olympics.  But the numbers do have uses and often firms up what has been seen on tape.

Having a high explosion number does not mean a player will be elite, but that they possess traits that greatly point that direction.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not according to Pat Kirwan, especially for the players in the trenches.  Broad + Vertical + Reps = Explosion number.  >70 is elite level, > 65 very good.

It's not football, and is (according to Mike Mayock, now GM of the Raiders) the underwear Olympics.  But the numbers do have uses and often firms up what has been seen on tape.

Having a high explosion number does not mean a player will be elite, but that they possess traits that greatly point that direction.

It's always good to have the traits that can't be taught, and then build the player from there.

Yep... Butler with 4.49 official. WOW! 

Jazz Ferguson with similarly impressive time - 4.46

N'Keal Harry - 4.54

Kelvin Harmon 4.62

AJ Brown 4.50

Miles Boykin 4.42 ?!? HOW? This combine is insane for Boykin. I never saw that type of athleticism on tape??? 

Emanuel Hall 4.39

Parris Campbell 4.32 - nice... he's testing like an elite athlete

LJ Humphrey 4.75... SLOW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So I guess the question is, would anyone here take Hakeem Butler at 26?

I would. But I'm higher on him than anyone else around methinks. He just ran under 4.5 at 6'6" 230 pounds. This is in addition to having after the catch ability that I love and contested catch ability that is one of the best in the country. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So I guess the question is, would anyone here take Hakeem Butler at 26?

Depends who is available if the only Dline players available are the ones with questionable traits than yeah I'd take butler if hes there but dont think he falls to us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I would. But I'm higher on him than anyone else around methinks. He just ran under 4.5 at 6'6" 230 pounds. This is in addition to having after the catch ability that I love and contested catch ability that is one of the best in the country. 

Idk I've been on the butler train since the draft process started lol I still want that freaking beast on this team 

• Like 2

Butler is a monster. His measurables and combine have been off the charts for a 6'6 guy. If he can play as well as his athletic traits show, then he's a top 5 WR easy in the NFL. His ceiling is through the roof. Great hands, arms, wingspan. I'll take him at 26 all day.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Noah Fant just had 6.81 3-cone! WOW! Special athlete. 

He's very agile and elusive! Like Nash Stablein on my Madden 18 series lol. He had the top combine in every category when I drafted him in the 2nd round for a TE. I'm really curious where Fant will end up getting drafted. He could go as high as 10 to the Broncos IMO!

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep... Butler with 4.49 official. WOW! 

Jazz Ferguson with similarly impressive time - 4.46

N'Keal Harry - 4.54

Kelvin Harmon 4.62

AJ Brown 4.50

Miles Boykin 4.42 ?!? HOW? This combine is insane for Boykin. I never saw that type of athleticism on tape??? 

Emanuel Hall 4.39

Parris Campbell 4.32 - nice... he's testing like an elite athlete

LJ Humphrey 4.75... SLOW

I’d love to be able to get Boykin on this team. Great size, huge mitt hands and made plays at ND. I’ve been really watching him this past season. With all the other big name receivers, maybe he lasts until our late second round pick. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’d love to be able to get Boykin on this team. Great size, huge mitt hands and made plays at ND. I’ve been really watching him this past season. With all the other big name receivers, maybe he lasts until our late second round pick. 

Did you see this type of athleticism on tape? I am kind of shocked by what he did. I didn't suspect he's capable of running and jumping this well... 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Anything on Arcega-Whiteside? I know you liked him. 

Great stuff. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Haven't seen anything about him? He might be in the next group? Or he might have decided to not run? I'm not sure. If he doesn't run, we know why... 

47 minutes ago, stitches said:

Vikings fans want Butler too. There are some folks from Iowa on our site and they have seen a lot of him. They love Butler. 

Just now, stitches said:

Haven't seen anything about him? He might be in the next group? Or he might have decided to not run? I'm not sure. If he doesn't run, we know why... 

Why? I have not followed the draft at all this winter. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Why? I have not followed the draft at all this winter. 

He's probably not very fast so he'd rather not run and have people doubt how slow he is than run and remove all doubt. (that is if he doesn't run... I'm still harboring hope that he will run in the high 4.5s or low 4.6s. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Did you see this type of athleticism on tape? I am kind of shocked by what he did. I didn't suspect he's capable of running and jumping this well... 

He just jumped off the screen to me in the games I watched, and I had no idea who he was at the time as I don’t follow college ball much but when I do watch, it’s ND. Actually, I liked most of their receivers, they all just seemed to catch the ball with their hands and they just stuck. As for routes and stuff like that, I’m not capable of saying he is good or bad at that but when it went towards him, he caught it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It's always good to have the traits that can't be taught, and then build the player from there.

Indeed. OTOH some have traits, yet don't succeed or cannot grasp the material (coaching/learning).  Interviews and general interaction all throughout is becoming so important as it gives teams some additional clues concerning a players intangibles that are also part of success.

• Like 1