Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I always go for solid football players that have the mental side down like Ballard, but once you have your draft board of 100 or so players that fit that criteria, then you have to rank them another way. The Combine and individual pro days are how you do that IMO. Fans do overrate the Combine, but it does measure statistics like Speed, Strength, Acceleration, Elusiveness etc...

I would add the personal workouts as well.  Those are crucial and very Important, especially for those players targeted at the top of the draft.

• Like 1

I’m comfortable taking Harry in the 2nd round. A 4.53 40 at 6’2” and 228 pounds is amazing. I was never a fan of him in the 1st round. But at pick 34 I’m all for it. I think Reich will get really creative with him.

AJ Brown is another who had a sneaky good day. Prototype slot receiver but with better weight. Can play outside too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we can get him with that later 2nd I'd be even happier but I just dont know where hes gonna go 

It will be interesting to see where Butler goes

The first pick of the second round seems too early (Maybe not)

I think he will be gone by the mid second round, where we miss him

I think he is a great fit though

I would like to see him wearing the shoe......

17 hours ago, stitches said:

He didn't test... at all.... either injured or really worried that he would have an Orlando Brown type of combine. 

Thanks. I was looking for his numbers all over. (Re: JJ Arcega-Whiteside.) This will drop him a bit. How far? Some team will get a good WR. 

So, which of the WRs impressed you the most? Which ones changed your impression of them -- good or bad?

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I was looking for his numbers all over. (Re: JJ Arcega-Whiteside.) This will drop him a bit. How far? Some team will get a good WR. 

So, which of the WRs impressed you the most? Which ones changed your impression of them -- good or bad?

I liked Miles Boykin on regular game watching, but not enough to dive into his tape specifically. I will definitely be watching him after the combine. Parris Campbell was impressive in both his testing and on-field drills. Jazz Ferguson did well enough for me to try and find his tape too. Who else? Hakeem Butler and DK Metcalf won the testing. N'Keal Harry did well too...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

I liked Miles Boykin on regular game watching, but not enough to dive into his tape specifically. I will definitely be watching him after the combine. Parris Campbell was impressive in both his testing and on-field drills. Jazz Ferguson did well enough for me to try and find his tape too. Who else? Hakeem Butler and DK Metcalf won the testing. N'Keal Harry did well too...

Thank you. I am not following much of this; so I appreciate your thoughts and comments here. Did the RBs go yet? I guess Bryce Love is not there? He had an injury at the end of the season. Too bad. He should have come out last year. 

Some very impressive test times(and some disappointing ones) by the DL prospects so far:

Montez Sweat ran 4.41 official 40 time

Brian Burns 4.53

Here's a crazy one... Rashan Gary 4.58 at 277 pounds. WOW! 

Chase Winovich 4.59

John Cominsky 4.69... at 286!!!!!!!! Damn. 

Nick Bosa 4.79 ... wasn't this how fast his brother ran?

Quinnen Williams is insane athlete too 4.83 at 303 pounds

Jachai Polite 4.84... how did he run this slow? This is weird. He was supposed to be fast.

Charles Omenihu 4.92 at 280

LJ Collier - 4.91 at 283

Jalen Jelks 4.92 at 256... slow

Jerry Tillery 4.93 at 295

Zach Allen 5.0 at 281

Khalen Saunders 5.01 at 324... nice

Renell Wren 5.01 at 318... nice

Christian Wilkins 5.04 at 315

Dexter Lawrence 5.05 at 342... wow! This is fast for his size... also... suffered a quad injury reportedly

Daylon Mack 5.10 at 336... fast for size

Dre'Mont Jones 5.12 at 281... not good.

Ed Oliver will run at his pro-day. He jumped 36" vertical. He weighed in at 287. He also did 36 bench press reps. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

It will be interesting to see where Butler goes

The first pick of the second round seems too early (Maybe not)

I think he will be gone by the mid second round, where we miss him

I think he is a great fit though

I would like to see him wearing the shoe...…

That is why I hope one of the QBs like Daniel Jones or Kyler Murray drop to No.26 and a team like the Dolphins or Redskins, who did not feel the value early on, move back into the first round ensuring having a QB for a 5th year option, and give us a future 1st, and current 2nd and 3rd picks. 

If that were the case, the Dolphins or Redskins pick in Round 2 would be a distinct possibility for Hakeem Butler. To me, given his quality of competition faced and unpolished route running skills but high upside, Round 2 seems most appropriate, even with a stellar 40.

My guy Jachai Polite has had a terrible weekend. He came in at a good weight, but he isn't lean.

Anyway yesterday he was complaining to the media that all the other teams were 'just bashing his tape', except for McVay and the Rams. This is something Ballqrd has said in his interviews, hs loves to hears guys being honest with themselves and where they need to improve.

Then today he runs a slow 4.87 40, 1.71 10 yard split and says he is injured. Maybe he just is. Anyways he is not competing in anymore drills including the 3-cone.

Not a Ballard kind of guy I think, which is dissapointing. I love his tape.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some very impressive test times(and some disappointing ones) by the DL prospects so far:

Brian Burns 4.53

Chase Winovich 4.59

Jachai Polite 4.84... how did he run this slow? This is weird. He was supposed to be fast.

LJ Collier - 4.91 at 283

Zach Allen 5.0 at 281

Dexter Lawrence 5.05 at 342... wow! This is fast for his size... also... suffered a quad injury reportedly

Not touching Dre'Mont Jones till pick No.59 if we haven't drafted a 3-technique by then, which I doubt it. Wilkins and Tillery are my 1st round favorites. Wren and Saunders my 2nd round favorites.

Cominsky, Mack and Collier are my Day 3 favorites, if they last till our round 4 pick. I had both LJ Collier and Daylon Mack mocked to the Colts in one of the mocks a while ago, I would be very happy if those happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

My guy Jachai Polite has had a terrible weekend. He came in at a good weight, but he isn't lean.

Anyway yesterday he was complaining to the media that all the other teams were 'just bashing his tape', except for McVay and the Rams. This is something Ballqrd has said in his interviews, hs loves to hears guys being honest with themselves and where they need to improve.

Then today he runs a slow 4.87 40, 1.71 10 yard split and says he is injured. Maybe he just is. Anyways he is not competing in anymore drills including the 3-cone.

Not a Ballard kind of guy I think, which is dissapointing. I love his tape.

I am trying to remember where I heard that... but I heard that there are questions about his attitude even before the combine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I am trying to remember where I heard that... but I heard that there are questions about his attitude even before the combine. 

You could be right. Funnily enough he could slide back the board and be there for us at #26. Burns should be ahead of him now. Sweat and Farrell probably top 15.

Just now, chad72 said:

Did Gerald Willis III work out yet?

I just got home so I don't know. I'm checking twitter and watching the on-field drills as they go. Sorry, don't know whether he worked out, yet or if he's in a later group. 

Wow....... just saw lil Jordon Humphries time.   He is SLOWER than he looks on the field

He moved himself to the 4th round (or worse).... he is off of my 3rd round wish list

And.......  

Parris Cambell has been one of my WR wish list guys. 4.32 is CRAZY

(I still like Butler a tiny bit more)

The guy can turn a 7 yard slant into an 80 yard TD, like no other

He is built like a RB as well

He also has excellent hands

I would be VERY happy with him at the end of round 2.

Can you imagine Cambell on one side, and Hilton on the other?  The Def coordinator we face will be doing the "oh crap" prep

With the deep threat, the underneath stuff and the run would  should be more open, as the DBs will have to play it safe

I still think Butler will go 15ish in round 2.........  too late for 2nd 2nd pick, too early for 34th

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Wow....... just saw lil Jordon Humphries time.   He is SLOWER than he looks on the field

He moved himself to the 4th round (or worse).... he is off of my 3rd round wish list

And.......  

LJ Humphrey is quicker than fast. He had good 3cone and short shuttle times. He's a prototype big slot receiver. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th-5th round....

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

Brian Burns 4.53

Chase Winovich 4.59

LJ Collier - 4.91 at 283

Zach Allen 5.0 at 281

Ed Oliver will run at his pro-day. He jumped 36" vertical. He weighed in at 287. He also did 36 bench press reps. 

Is it just me or did Brian burns look thin?  Not sure what his height weight was.  

Also no 40 from Ferrell.  I assume he’ll wait until his pro day

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

And.......  

Parris Cambell has been one of my WR wish list guys. 3.32 is CRAZY

(I still like Butler a tiny bit more)

The guy can turn a 7 yard slant into an 80 yard TD, like no other

He also has excellent hands

I would be VERY happy with him at the end of round 2.

Can you imagine Cambell on one side, and Hilton on the other?  The Def coordinator we face will be doing the "oh crap" prep

With the deep threat, the underneath stuff and the run would  should be more open, as the DBs will have to play it safe

I still think Butler will go 15ish in round 2.........  too late for 2nd 2nd pick, too early for 34th

I don't know about you, I had mocked JJAW to the Colts at pick No.59 and if he has a good Pro Day, I feel good about it. The thing that has been said about JJAW is CBs and most folks underestimate him all the time and he ends up surprising him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

Is it just me or did Brian burns look thin?  Not sure what his height weight was.  

Also no 40 from Ferrell.  I assume he’ll wait until his pro day

He's kind of lanky, but he weighed in at 249.... which is a win for him since there were rumors that he played in the 220s during the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Not Wilkins? That kid seems impressive. 

It's just one analyst's reporting... I bet this list is not exhaustive of players who are impressing. I would take more from it about the players that are on it than about players that are not on it.  

• Like 1

LBs running 40(unofficial):

Dakota Allen 4.77

Josh Allen 4.70 -> 4.64... that's better. 

Devin Bush 4.44 nice

Joe Giles-Harris 4.76

Porter Gustin 4.71

Terrill Hanks 4.99... ???

Justin Hollins 4.51

Gary Johnson 4.43 - he's one of my favorites in the mid-rounds. 

Bobby Okereke 4.61

Germaine Pratt 4.58

Cameron Smith 4.70

Ty Summer 4.52

Sione Takitaki 4.63

Drue Tranquill 4.60

Devin White 4.42... nice... 

Ben Burr-Kirven 4.57

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's too short IMO. We have someone that is Isabella's ceiling in Hilton already, and I'd much more prefer a larger receiver that can dominate larger Cornerbacks. JMO, but Isabella wouldn't be worth that high of a pick for the Colts specifically.

But you wanted the Colts to take Hollywood Brown before in the first round before because he's so much taller?

15 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

But you wanted the Colts to take Hollywood Brown before in the first round before because he's so much taller?

I changed my mind on him, and with this WR class really standing out, I'm a lot more picky on taller WR's now. I've learned more about them and knowledge is power. Worst thing we can do is get another Hilton clone at no value that will probably turn out to be worse than Hilton.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I changed my mind on him, and with this WR class really standing out, I'm a lot more picky on taller WR's now. I've learned more about them and knowledge is power. Worst thing we can do is get another Hilton clone at no value that will probably turn out to be worse than Hilton.

Pretty early to say he's going to be better or worse than anybody. With all of the rule changes through the years, I don't really care as much about a WRs size any more. Guys like Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Jarvis Landry, TY Hilton, etc....are all under 6"0 and very productive. If you can get open, you can be productive. Especially with an Elite QB.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Pretty early to say he's going to be better or worse than anybody. With all of the rule changes through the years, I don't really care as much about a WRs size any more. Guys like Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill, Jarvis Landry, TY Hilton, etc....are all under 6"0 and very productive. If you can get open, you can be productive. Especially with an Elite QB.

There's still a transformation from smaller cornerbacks to bigger cornerbacks, and I'd like to be ahead of the curve on it. Luck can make up for some of it, but size and physicality can't be replaced, and Luck needs another type of target besides Hilton. JMO of course, but I see physical receivers and what this draft class offers and want one of my own. Nothing against Isabella, but we have Hilton already.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

That SUCKS about Murphy. I've been really high on him as of late, and with his play style think he could really feast in the Colts system of defense. I'd love for him to be there at 26, but I figured he was going to test and interview really well. He just strikes me as that type of player

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

still a transformation from smaller cornerbacks to bigger cornerbacks, and I'd like to be ahead of the curve on it

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

I'm not sure what your definition of "bigger cornerbacks" is but it looks like the position is still the same size to me for the top 25 highest rated CBs. 

• Like 1