Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

Why is everyone suddenly on the Butler train after today? The dude can't, and still can't, catch the dang football. He had a ton of drops in school, and a TON of drops today. The Colts don't need another WR who can't catch. I'd still rather take Harry, or even Campbell after today. Harry may not be the fastest, but he's super smooth and catches everything thrown his way. Campbell's gauntlet run today was smooth as all get out. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Exodus said:

Why is everyone suddenly on the Butler train after today? The dude can't, and still can't, catch the dang football. He had a ton of drops in school, and a TON of drops today. The Colts don't need another WR who can't catch. I'd still rather take Harry, or even Campbell after today. Harry may not be the fastest, but he's super smooth and catches everything thrown his way. Campbell's gauntlet run today was smooth as all get out. 

I have not noticed him having any more drops than most prospects in the class. He attacks the ball away from his body with regularity. I am not worried about his hands. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have not noticed him having any more drops than most prospects in the class. He attacks the ball away from his body with regularity. I am not worried about his hands. 

Anybody watch extensive tape on the guy?  How many routes on the tree can he run? How well does he run each of them? does he get in and out of breaks quick enough to create separation? Or is he a throw it up and let him go get it, outfight the defender, guy?

I haven't followed any college ball or players this year, but do know Megatron has worked with him.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is not meant to come off a rude, or me being a smart***, so please don't take it as such. You don't have the frame, hands, and speed that he does, and not be considered for the #1 overall pick without reasons. Everything I've read about him says he's raw, inconsistent, and has a ton of really bad drops. It is this man's opinion, that we don't need anymore of that. We're looking to upgrade the WR position, and I do not believe in his current state that Butler is an upgrade. Especially at 26 and 34. If he's there with our late 2nd, I'd absolutely consider it, but not at all with our first two picks

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Anybody watch extensive tape on the guy?  How many routes on the tree can he run? How well does he run each of them? does he get in and out of breaks quick enough to create separation? Or is he a throw it up and let him go get it, outfight the defender, guy?

I haven't followed any college ball or players this year, but do know Megatron has worked with him.

He runs variety of routes, but he's not the most agile player. He doesn't come off his breaks in a sharp fashion and IMO that will be his biggest limiting factor. He's very physical off the LOS  and he does beat press man, though, through physicality. He's not refined as a route runner. He can create separation mainly through his physicality in the short to intermediate range and through his speed downfield. He makes a ton of plays after the catch. He's hard to bring down. 

16 minutes ago, Exodus said:

This is not meant to come off a rude, or me being a smart***, so please don't take it as such. You don't have the frame, hands, and speed that he does, and not be considered for the #1 overall pick without reasons. Everything I've read about him says he's raw, inconsistent, and has a ton of really bad drops. It is this man's opinion, that we don't need anymore of that. We're looking to upgrade the WR position, and I do not believe in his current state that Butler is an upgrade. Especially at 26 and 34. If he's there with our late 2nd, I'd absolutely consider it, but not at all with our first two picks

Just wait. He's going in the 1st round(or early second). For some weird reason people were doubting his speed until now. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't considered a 1st round pick. I've been saying for months that he's fast and looks fast to me on tape and that he will run around 4.5 if not faster... and he did run about that fast(4.48 final official). Now people will go back to the tape and see the speed.

His route running does need refinement and he's indeed not one of the most polished receivers, but he does have outrageous physical traits. He will never be an amazing separator simply because I'm not sure you can expect that from a 6'6" player with the inherent for that height lack of agility. But he does separate in other ways, he uses his physicality and hands to beat press man on the LOS and he does use his body and speed to separate downfield. He also has great after the catch ability and contested catch ability. He catches all sorts of underthrown or overthrown balls that you don't expect him to get to. And one of the best things about him is he has great contact balance and he's a threat to take it all the way to the end zone even after contact in the air. He has multiple TDs where he battles for the balls in the air, pries it away from the defender and then keeps on his feet and trucks several players on his way to the end zone. 

• Like 1

Dillon Mitchell 4.47 - I like him. 

Isabella ran in the 4.5s... weird. 4.46 in the second run. 

Hunter Renfrow 4.59... that's good enough. 

Riley Ridley 4.61... 4.59 second run

Deebo Samuel 4.50... 4.49 second run

David Sills V 4.57 with a stumble. 

Darius SLayton 4.40

Jaylen Smith 4.48

Gary Jennings 4.43

KeeSean Johnson 4.61

DaMarkus Lodge 4.56

Terry McLaurin 4.36

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Dillon Mitchell 4.47 - I like him. 

Isabella ran in the 4.5s... weird. 

Hunter Renfrow 4.59... that's good enough. 

Riley Ridley 

Isabella 4.5?? That aint right. Was projected to push 4.2! Must be an minor injury there.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just wait. He's going in the 1st round(or early second). For some weird reason people were doubting his speed until now. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't considered a 1st round pick. I've been saying for months that he's fast and looks fast to me on tape and that he will run around 4.5 if not faster... and he did run about that fast(4.48 final official). Now people will go back to the tape and see the speed.

His route running does need refinement and he's indeed not one of the most polished receivers, but he does have outrageous physical traits. He will never be an amazing separator simply because I'm not sure you can expect that from a 6'6" player with the inherent for that height lack of agility. But he does separate in other ways, he uses his physicality and hands to beat press man on the LOS and he does use his body and speed to separate downfield. He also has great after the catch ability and contested catch ability. He catches all sorts of underthrown or overthrown balls that you don't expect him to get to. And one of the best things about him is he has great contact balance and he's a threat to take it all the way to the end zone even after contact in the air. He has multiple TDs where he battles for the balls in the air, pries it away from the defender and then keeps on his feet and trucks several players on his way to the end zone. 

He has Jon Gruden written all over him at #27. I've been thinking that for a while

Just now, Exodus said:

David Sills V just ran a 4.57 after biffing the start. He's someone I'd look at in the late second, third round

For a QB convert he does have great ability to track the ball and he has great late hands to the ball... 

• Like 1

"Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley was asked at the NFL's scouting combine to also work out with the defensive backs, but has declined to do that, telling all involved he is concentrating on being a quarterback as he heads into next month's draft, sources told ESPN."

https://6abc.com/sports/sources-mcsorley-declines-to-work-out-with-dbs/5164417/

Wow, that has to sting a little bit. I don't blame him for declining right now either.

10 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Isabella 4.5?? That aint right. Was projected to push 4.2! Must be an minor injury there.

hes quick not fast ... more wes welker than tyreek. watch him play he doesn’t look anywhere close to 4.3. not weird just realistic but this is america

5 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

hes quick not fast ... more wes welker than tyreek. watch him play he doesn’t look anywhere close to 4.3. not weird just realistic but this is america

Not weird just realistic but this is America? What the hades does that even mean?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not weird just realistic but this is America? What the hades does that even mean?

it means i knew you would respond. frequencies let me know yu know what we know. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    And I wouldn’t take him at 34 either.

59 is the earliest and I’d prefer he gets picked at 89 if at all. 

Yeah, I was unaware of his catching woes when I posted that. Much rather have Metcalf now at 26.

Just now, stitches said:

Metcalf won't be there at 26 IMO. 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

There's no way Metcalf makes it to 20, let alone 26.

Right now no. The defense hasn't even done their combine yet. Plenty of people could bump him down. Things don't always go logically. He is only a WR after all, not a premium position.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Right now no. The defense hasn't even done their combine yet. Plenty of people could bump him down. Things don't always go logically. He is only a WR after all, not a premium position.

WR is a premium position. It's arguably the second most important offensive position after QB. 

Every year a top ten possible pick falls. Hooker was suppose to be a possible top 5-10 pick and he fell to us. I have no doubt a good quality player will fall to use, especially if NFL teams are dumb enough to take 4 QB's in the first round.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

WR is a premium position. 

QB, LT, and pass rushers are premium positions. WRs are one of the least premium positions in the NFL and are easy to find. This is also a loaded WR class from the looks of the combine. Someone may take him early, but there's an equal chance he falls to us when the defense is done with their combine as well.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

QB, LT, and pass rushers are premium positions. WRs are one of the least premium positions in the NFL and are easy to find. This is also a loaded WR class from the looks of the combine. Someone may take him early, but there's an equal chance he falls to us when the defense is done with their combine as well.

WR is on par with CBs and pass-rushers when it comes to importance. Both advanced analytics and the way NFL teams pay receivers point to that. 

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To Ballard it seems the trenches are the premium positions after QB.   I can't argue with him :number1:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

WR is on par with CBs and pass-rushers when it comes to importance. Both advanced analytics and the way NFL teams pay receivers point to that. 

A great QB can make bad WR's good. WR's are a luxury in today's NFL. Look at the Patriots, Julian Edelman is a 7th round slot receiver, and he is by far their best receiver. Even TE's are more important than WR's because of their importance in the end zone. Yes, WR's get paid, but so do every position. A shutdown corner is irreplaceable, same with an elite pass-rusher, you see what Luck did with Hilton and a bunch of nobodies. All a receiver really needs is good hands and route running and a top QB can do wonders with them. The bar is very low for WR's these days. Of course the elite ones give a huge advantage, but they are hard to find.

Even Ballard has been lazy with WR's for the most part because he knows production is easy to find. We've just had bad luck. Of course, Metcalf and Butler have the skills to be elite.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, stitches said:

If he runs under 4.5 I'm drafting him at 26 without bating an eye... If he runs under 4.5 he might not be there at 26 for us to pick him. 

...and he did, Hakeem Butler that is.