Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com End of Year Draft Grades

Caleb3502

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017289/article/afc-south-rookie-grades-colts-revival-fueled-by-fine-draft-class

Grade: A 

Round 1: (No. 6 overall) Quenton Nelson, OG, 16 games/16 starts. 
Round 2: (36) Darius Leonard, LB, 15 games/15 starts; (37) Braden Smith, OT, 15 games/13 starts; (52) Kemoko Turay, DE, 14 games/3 starts; (64) Tyquan Lewis, DE, 8 games/6 starts. 
Round 4: (104) Nyheim Hines, RB, 16 games/4 starts. 
Round 5: (159) Daurice Fountain, WR, 1 game/0 starts; (169) Jordan Wilkins, RB, 16 games/3 starts. 
Round 6: (185) Deon Cain, WR, 0 games/0 starts. 
Round 7: (221) Matthew Adams, LB, 16 games/5 starts; (235) Zaire Franklin, LB, 16 games/2 starts.

What a class. GM Chris Ballard eschewed sexier picks in the early rounds, instead selecting the best lineman in the draft in Nelson, who immediately paid dividends while earning All-Pro honors. Smith is a competent tackle who could improve into a very good player with proper coaching. Leonard was a revelation at linebacker, taking home Defensive Rookie of the Year while also earning All-Pro honors. Turay's future is bright on the edge after he recorded four sacks in 14 games. Hines was a nice change-of-pace back who found success in the passing game. Cain could develop into a good receiver if he can return to full strength after tearing his ACL in August. Lewis needs more reps to develop, but recorded two sacks in eight games. Wilkins was a nice find in the fifth round. Adams played in all 16 games, recording 33 tackles as a depth defender. Franklin was another depth defender with a less productive rookie campaign. In all, an excellent draft for Ballard, who landed two All-Pros, solidified what was a porous line and helped turn around the Colts. 

Combine/free agency focus: Depending on Cain's health, the Colts could again look to receiver in this draft for a contributor opposite T.Y. Hilton. Otherwise, they'd be well served to at least explore the position, even after signing Dontrelle Inman for their run to the playoffs in 2018. Middle linebacker and another edge rusher would also be welcome. Cornerback might be perceived as a need. Pierre Desir had a good year in Matt Eberflus' system, but he's headed toward free agency. A decision looms there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ztboiler said:

U draft 2 all-pros and starter caliber RT...all of which play key roles on a playoff team that wins a playoff game and it’s an historic class....not just an “A”.

It's historic and it should be added...... the impact of signing Cox, Ebron, and Autry. 

18 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That will be more difficult this draft than last because of draft position. 

FA will be Big for us in 2019.

Personally I don't think Ballard is going to sign "Big" free agents. He is not going to break the bank for any free agent IMO.  I look for him to be very frugal with the cap money. It all don't have to be spent this season and he will save it to resign the players who have earned it at the end of next season.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, TheMiz said:

If Ballard can continue to get two rookie all-pros per draft we will be sitting pretty, for sure...

It’s a successful draft if you get guys that are spoken about in their first year as pro bowl type players but beaten out by proven name players. Getting any draft pick that’s a first year all-pro is generally unrealistic, it more a rarity than expected. It would be more expected that your first round pick hits pro bowl status than all-pro imho. After the first round, you are just expecting guys to provide quality depth and potential as a starter later in season or an improved production starter as the year progresses. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I don't think Ballard is going to sign "Big" free agents. He is not going to break the bank for any free agent IMO.  I look for him to be very frugal with the cap money. It all don't have to be spent this season and he will save it to resign the players who have earned it at the end of next season.

What is Licks contract going to cost when it’s due? TY will need renewed as well, will he be a 15-17/yr guy? AC needs addressed and at LT, even at age 30, he is going to command 15/yr I’d bet. Now both TY and AC are probably a 3 year deal type with Luck being 5-6.  You also have Kelly and maybe, big maybe, look to resign Mack. What’s the marker going to command out of Hooker? 

This team will will have some decisions to make about spending lots of money on just the guys we have coming up in 1-2 seasons. Taking on some 100 million dollar free agent deals aren’t looking like they will happen unless CB figures the TY’s and AC’s get replaced in the draft. That’s my take. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

What is Licks contract going to cost when it’s due? TY will need renewed as well, will he be a 15-17/yr guy? AC needs addressed and at LT, even at age 30, he is going to command 15/yr I’d bet. Now both TY and AC are probably a 3 year deal type with Luck being 5-6.  You also have Kelly and maybe, big maybe, look to resign Mack. What’s the marker going to command out of Hooker? 

This team will will have some decisions to make about spending lots of money on just the guys we have coming up in 1-2 seasons. Taking on some 100 million dollar free agent deals aren’t looking like they will happen unless CB figures the TY’s and AC’s get replaced in the draft. That’s my take. 

Luck is on contract til the end of 2021.

TY is on contract til the end of 2020.  He will be 32 at that point.  That is kind of old for a speed receiver.

Castonzo comes due after this next season, he will be 32 at that point.  Maybe a contract for a few years is in order but you need to start thinking about a replacement there.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

TY is on contract til the end of 2020.  He will be 32 at that point.  That is kind of old for a speed receiver.

Castonzo comes due after this next season, he will be 32 at that point.  Maybe a contract for a few years is in order but you need to start thinking about a replacement there.  

I tend to agree with you on TY.  I love the guy and think he's an absolute warrior and heckuva player and teammate.  However, with his size and the fact that his main weapon is speed I think we should be getting concerned about him in the long term.  He has been very durable over his career and this last year was one of the first times where he visibly looked beat up at various times throughout the season (he had a monster stretch weeks 11-16, but otherwise he definitely was battling).  Granted, sprained ankles should be able to heal over the off-season and with TY's work ethic, I think he'll be back to form next year if he stays healthy.  Still, if old age leads to him being hurt/injured more, he's going to have a hard time staying productive based on his skill set. 

28 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

When was the last time we nailed the draft? Can't remember. We definitely had a pretty good haul. Turay and Lewis are still somewhat of a question mark in my opinion though. 

I am still confused as to what happened with Turay later in the season.  I thought he was developing nicely, but when Lewis came back from injury it seemed like Turay barely saw the field.  I've heard things from he wasn't practicing hard enough, to that was the plan with him all along (i.e., develop him slowly and limit his wear and tear in year 1), to Lewis was just a better fit in our scheme.  Anyway, I still think the kid has a lot of potential and hope another off-season working with NFL strength coaches and getting more familiar with the NFL game will help him.

Lewis I thought played well when he got back.  The main issue I had with him was he always seemed to be just 1 or 2 steps too slow.  He drove blockers back often and pressured the QB, but he rarely actually got sacks.  I am hoping this was just due to him coming off a bad toe injury and not being up to par with the NFL speed/pace/conditioning.  He seemed to improve as time went on.  I think he's definitely going to be a solid rotational guy for us, and am optimistic he'll improve with an off-season to get healthy and more acclimated to the NFL, but if he can't figure out how to get a step or 2 quicker and turn pressures into sacks I worry about him having a pretty low ceiling.

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I tend to agree with you on TY.  I love the guy and think he's an absolute warrior and heckuva player and teammate.  However, with his size and the fact that his main weapon is speed I think we should be getting concerned about him in the long term.  He has been very durable over his career and this last year was one of the first times where he visibly looked beat up at various times throughout the season (he had a monster stretch weeks 11-16, but otherwise he definitely was battling).  Granted, sprained ankles should be able to heal over the off-season and with TY's work ethic, I think he'll be back to form next year if he stays healthy.  Still, if old age leads to him being hurt/injured more, he's going to have a hard time staying productive based on his skill set. 

I am still confused as to what happened with Turay later in the season.  I thought he was developing nicely, but when Lewis came back from injury it seemed like Turay barely saw the field.  I've heard things from he wasn't practicing hard enough, to that was the plan with him all along (i.e., develop him slowly and limit his wear and tear in year 1), to Lewis was just a better fit in our scheme.  Anyway, I still think the kid has a lot of potential and hope another off-season working with NFL strength coaches and getting more familiar with the NFL game will help him.

Lewis I thought played well when he got back.  The main issue I had with him was he always seemed to be just 1 or 2 steps too slow.  He drove blockers back often and pressured the QB, but he rarely actually got sacks.  I am hoping this was just due to him coming off a bad toe injury and not being up to par with the NFL speed/pace/conditioning.  He seemed to improve as time went on.  I think he's definitely going to be a solid rotational guy for us, and am optimistic he'll improve with an off-season to get healthy and more acclimated to the NFL, but if he can't figure out how to get a step or 2 quicker and turn pressures into sacks I worry about him having a pretty low ceiling.

My thing is not so much injuries but as players age they start to lose a step, they can't run as fast as they used to.  

TY's main weapon is as you say speed.   He ran like a 4.3 forty.  What happens when he doesn't have that anymore and his 40 is more like 4.5.  

A lot of guys that are bigger can still use their size as a weapon. But TY doesn't have size.  

So I think we certainly have to consider that TY may only have a few good years left in him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

All valid points. What do you do with AC then this next offseason, do you re-sign him and at what $$ If he plays this season as he did last, it is going to be hard to say we aren’t paying another contract and he likely won’t take a 1 year contract it will take a 3 year at mark price for a LT who is producing. TY, we still have time to see where his play goes. 

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

All valid points. What do you do with AC then this next offseason, do you re-sign him and at what $$ If he plays this season as he did last, it is going to be hard to say we aren’t paying another contract and he likely won’t take a 1 year contract it will take a 3 year at mark price for a LT who is producing. TY, we still have time to see where his play goes. 

I think you can give AC a 2 or 3 year contract.  But you have to look for a replacement in the draft soon.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

My thing is not so much injuries but as players age they start to lose a step, they can't run as fast as they used to.  

TY's main weapon is as you say speed.   He ran like a 4.3 forty.  What happens when he doesn't have that anymore and his 40 is more like 4.5.  

A lot of guys that are bigger can still use their size as a weapon. But TY doesn't have size.  

So I think we certainly have to consider that TY may only have a few good years left in him.  

Easy, he uses his veteran savvy and route running... he'll still be WAY better physically than a guy like Edleman so I think he's got 3 more good years in him.  4-5 he'd have to be at a discount, but for a Colts All Timer (only he and Luck, if they win at least a SB have any shot at HOF left in their career from the guys prior to this newest batch).  I think TY could pump his numbers up enough to get a sniff at it and Luck needs an MVP and a Super Bowl win minimum to get a whiff.  I hope he does even  more than that.  But for some reason, the league and media never credit him with a fraction of the credit he deserved those first 3 seasons.  He's was ROTY his first year by a mile over the overhyped RGIII, what a rip off that was.   Let's hope he wins a couple MVPs and a couple Super Bowls as Irsay predicted and it's all a moot point.  Are there any other non-rookie (i.e. Nelson and Leonard) potential HOFers on this team? (And I didn't think I needed to say Vinny who is already a lock first ballot HOFer).  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yes, that is what I was trying to get at.. TY is a very good player and one of my favorites, but he isn't a big guy (and part of that is why I worry a bit about injuries as he gets older ... see around 0:58 of this video -- 

).  

As I said in previous post, I expect him  to come back fully from his sprained ankles, but as he gets older it will be harder and harder to get up from hits like the one in that video (which, IMO, are at least in part a product of his size).  

He's got a very good chemistry with Luck, he's a smart player and knows how to find free space, and he is a crafty route runner, so when he does lose a step he'll still be able to produce some, but I don't think he'll still be considered up near an elite WR (see week 17 and playoffs, he had a good first couple drives in week 1 in playoffs but once that ankle acted up and slowed him down, he became pretty much a non-factor).

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Easy, he uses his veteran savvy and route running... he'll still be WAY better physically than a guy like Edleman so I think he's got 3 more good years in him.  4-5 he'd have to be at a discount, but for a Colts All Timer (only he and Luck, if they win at least a SB have any shot at HOF left in their career from the guys prior to this newest batch).  I think TY could pump his numbers up enough to get a sniff at it and Luck needs an MVP and a Super Bowl win minimum to get a whiff.  I hope he does even  more than that.  But for some reason, the league and media never credit him with a fraction of the credit he deserved those first 3 seasons.  He's was ROTY his first year by a mile over the overhyped RGIII, what a rip off that was.   Let's hope he wins a couple MVPs and a couple Super Bowls as Irsay predicted and it's all a moot point.  Are there any other non-rookie (i.e. Nelson and Leonard) potential HOFers on this team? (And I didn't think I needed to say Vinny who is already a lock first ballot HOFer).  

I agree with you on Luck being underrated his first 3 years.  His numbers (the years he has been healthy) have also been very good.  He needs to stay healthy another 8-10 years and I think his numbers alone will put him over the top ... good for him is hopefully Brady and Brees are done soon and Rodgers seems to be declining.  I think in 2-3 years, Luck and Mahommes will be hands down considered the best 2 QBs in the league (at least for a little bit, depending on how some young guys develop)... this should help his chances at getting more individual awards (and without Brady, hopefully we can get over that NE hump and get Andrew a couple rings).

As far as TY, I think he's very much a long-shot to get into the HOF.  I like him a lot and he'll probably be around top 60 in receiving yards after next year.  However, he (IMO) just doesn't have the reception numbers or the TDs.  He'll have to play 5-6 more years and have each year basically be equal to or better of his best year so far which was 2016 to rack up numbers to allow him to 'whiff' the NFL HOF.   Also, Edelman and TY are way different players.  Edelman is more of a slot WR and a possession guy, TY has played most of his snaps lined up outside and his deep threat is his main weapon.  Don't think it's a fair comparison.

After 7 years into his career Marvin had 635 receptions/8,800 yards/73 TDs (Marv had 4 years with over 100 receptions in his first 7 years, and 8 total years with over 10 TDs with a total of 128 TDs in regular season).  Marv wasn't even a first-ballot (though I thought he was deserving).

After 7 years into his career Reggie Wayne had 494 receptions/6,984 yards/47 TDs (along with 2 years of 10 or more TDs and 1 year of >100 receptions).  Reggie got off to a slow start, but the best stretch of his career were years 7-12, which is pretty rare for a skill player to start improving that late (he had 3 more years of >100 receptions and 1 more year >10 TDs during that span).  Reggie also has some of the best post-season stats of any WR in NFL history (behind only Rice and Edelan for receptions, and 5th in receiving yards, and 9th in receiving TDs.

After 7 years into his career,  TY has 507 receptions/8,097 yards/40 TDs with 0 seasons having >10 TDs or >100 receptions (only 1 season over 90 receptions).  He's slightly better than Wayne in regular season receptions, better in yards and worse in TDs.  I have a hard time believing TY is going to put together the best 5 year stretch of his career starting now, like Reggie did and TY's post-season numbers don't touch Reggie's (and TY is playing in a more passer/WR friendly league).  Reggie, I think, will get into the HOF in his 4th or 5th try and part of that is due to lack of other stars around that time (Isaac Bruce should get in next year, then Reggie really has at least 2 years on the ballot before he's got major competition from other WR's who include Andre Johnson and Steve Smith).  TY, if he doesn't go on a tear for 5+ more years, simply won't have the numbers to be HOF worthy -- plus he's going to have guys like Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, etc. to compete with in terms of being voted in.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jdubu said:

Precisely. And guys like Nelson and Leonard are already on their way towards earning big contracts. They’ll likely be extended early before their contracts run out. Smith and Kelly are also key pieces. And now that we’re on the subject, Kelly’s rookie deal expires either this year or next, so there’s more money that will need to be spent. The Colts don’t have nearly as much money as it seems if you factor in who they will have to re-sign. Ballard alluded to this in his last press conference. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Precisely. And guys like Nelson and Leonard are already on their way towards earning big contracts. They’ll likely be extended early before their contracts run out. Smith and Kelly are also key pieces. And now that we’re on the subject, Kelly’s rookie deal expires either this year or next, so there’s more money that will need to be spent. The Colts don’t have nearly as much money as it seems if you factor in who they will have to re-sign. Ballard alluded to this in his last press conference. 

Kelly either needs extended after this season or he could get the 5th year tender and play that out to see how he trends play wise and health wise. The team is going to have to decide where they are going to focus capspace on, the trench players or the skill players. Lucks the one known spot that cap will be spent on, will we spend on the wr, rb, TE spot or the S and CB spot with cap or make sure it goes into the oline and front 7 guys. Can’t pay stars at all spots. 

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The way I look at it is Nelson , Hooker and Kelly all have 5th. yr. options that could be used all in different years.   I could see them using them on Kelly and Hooker because of their injury issues to date.  Then you always have the franchise tag if need be.  There should be no rush to sign those players unless they have big years coming up and stay healthy.  Q is years away from needing an extension.  Again 5th. yr option and tag at the teams disposal.  Leonard and Smith are the only ones who could be early and that is still years away.  The Colts don't have to save all this money.   They could easily add some serious talent in FA or in a trade for that matter.   If we get lucky this off season and a top tier player or two get free I fully expect Ballard to go hard for those players and sign them if they fill a need.  No reason not to.  We are contenders we are close and we have the money.  

On 2/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, that is what I was trying to get at.. TY is a very good player and one of my favorites, but he isn't a big guy (and part of that is why I worry a bit about injuries as he gets older ... see around 0:58 of this video -- 

).  

As I said in previous post, I expect him  to come back fully from his sprained ankles, but as he gets older it will be harder and harder to get up from hits like the one in that video (which, IMO, are at least in part a product of his size).  

He's got a very good chemistry with Luck, he's a smart player and knows how to find free space, and he is a crafty route runner, so when he does lose a step he'll still be able to produce some, but I don't think he'll still be considered up near an elite WR (see week 17 and playoffs, he had a good first couple drives in week 1 in playoffs but once that ankle acted up and slowed him down, he became pretty much a non-factor).

I agree with you on Luck being underrated his first 3 years.  His numbers (the years he has been healthy) have also been very good.  He needs to stay healthy another 8-10 years and I think his numbers alone will put him over the top ... good for him is hopefully Brady and Brees are done soon and Rodgers seems to be declining.  I think in 2-3 years, Luck and Mahommes will be hands down considered the best 2 QBs in the league (at least for a little bit, depending on how some young guys develop)... this should help his chances at getting more individual awards (and without Brady, hopefully we can get over that NE hump and get Andrew a couple rings).

As far as TY, I think he's very much a long-shot to get into the HOF.  I like him a lot and he'll probably be around top 60 in receiving yards after next year.  However, he (IMO) just doesn't have the reception numbers or the TDs.  He'll have to play 5-6 more years and have each year basically be equal to or better of his best year so far which was 2016 to rack up numbers to allow him to 'whiff' the NFL HOF.   Also, Edelman and TY are way different players.  Edelman is more of a slot WR and a possession guy, TY has played most of his snaps lined up outside and his deep threat is his main weapon.  Don't think it's a fair comparison.

After 7 years into his career Marvin had 635 receptions/8,800 yards/73 TDs (Marv had 4 years with over 100 receptions in his first 7 years, and 8 total years with over 10 TDs with a total of 128 TDs in regular season).  Marv wasn't even a first-ballot (though I thought he was deserving).

After 7 years into his career Reggie Wayne had 494 receptions/6,984 yards/47 TDs (along with 2 years of 10 or more TDs and 1 year of >100 receptions).  Reggie got off to a slow start, but the best stretch of his career were years 7-12, which is pretty rare for a skill player to start improving that late (he had 3 more years of >100 receptions and 1 more year >10 TDs during that span).  Reggie also has some of the best post-season stats of any WR in NFL history (behind only Rice and Edelan for receptions, and 5th in receiving yards, and 9th in receiving TDs.

After 7 years into his career,  TY has 507 receptions/8,097 yards/40 TDs with 0 seasons having >10 TDs or >100 receptions (only 1 season over 90 receptions).  He's slightly better than Wayne in regular season receptions, better in yards and worse in TDs.  I have a hard time believing TY is going to put together the best 5 year stretch of his career starting now, like Reggie did and TY's post-season numbers don't touch Reggie's (and TY is playing in a more passer/WR friendly league).  Reggie, I think, will get into the HOF in his 4th or 5th try and part of that is due to lack of other stars around that time (Isaac Bruce should get in next year, then Reggie really has at least 2 years on the ballot before he's got major competition from other WR's who include Andre Johnson and Steve Smith).  TY, if he doesn't go on a tear for 5+ more years, simply won't have the numbers to be HOF worthy -- plus he's going to have guys like Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, etc. to compete with in terms of being voted in.

Great info.  I guess my point was they were the only two non rookies that appear to have any chance at the HOF going forward.  Unless we import a superstar like Brown, it is either Luck or TY.  Neither is a lock, I hope TY can product enough to put him in range.  His problem is that he's always double covered because we haven't had a good #2 since Reggie and he was waning by then.  If we could have found a solid #2 who could separate, I think Hilton's numbers would go up.  If we had Brown (unlikely and not sure if I want him) I bet TY's numbers would skyrocket.   Anyway, thanks for the response and excellent info.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Great info.  I guess my point was they were the only two non rookies that appear to have any chance at the HOF going forward.  Unless we import a superstar like Brown, it is either Luck or TY.  Neither is a lock, I hope TY can product enough to put him in range.  His problem is that he's always double covered because we haven't had a good #2 since Reggie and he was waning by then.  If we could have found a solid #2 who could separate, I think Hilton's numbers would go up.  If we had Brown (unlikely and not sure if I want him) I bet TY's numbers would skyrocket.   Anyway, thanks for the response and excellent info.  

TY needs another playmaker on offense to help him out.  Otherwise they will double team him to death.  Rumors are heating up again regarding OBJ being available.  He's the kind of playmaker we really need to take the next step.  The best part is we can afford him. 

On 2/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, JPFolks said:

I don't think Brown fits in this locker room. He's a prima donna and he would rather have highlight reel catches and a nice individual stat line than a win.  I get your point, and think TY could see improved numbers with someone taking pressure off him... I just don't see Brown being happy with that (i.e., I think Brown would throw a fit if TY was putting up better numbers than him and taking away his catches).

On 2/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, richard pallo said:

TY needs another playmaker on offense to help him out.  Otherwise they will double team him to death.  Rumors are heating up again regarding OBJ being available.  He's the kind of playmaker we really need to take the next step.  The best part is we can afford him. 

OBJ is also a locker room problem and a prima donna, much like AB.  I truly believe OBJ would rather have the SportsCenter highlight of the week than win a game.  He has also missed 16 games in the past 2 seasons (played 4 games 2 years ago and 12 last year).  I say 'no, thanks' to OBJ.

There's a few quality FA's who would be cheap (relatively speaking) and which in at least one case I think maybe they have inside scoop.   Was Frank around SD still when Tyrell Williams was there? I'd be all for him coming here to team up with his old buddy Inman.