Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official 2019 Colts NFL Draft Tracker - Meetings, Interviews, Private Workouts, etc

Is there anyway we could get a comprehensive list of all the meetings/visits? I think in years past the 1st page of the thread would have a list like that broken up into categories. Like people we brought in for top-30 visits, people we met with at the combine, personal workouts, etc... Maybe the MODs could help with that.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

They are sniffing around Jay Ajayi who when healthy is a starter. Spencer Ware has been a starter too. 

We have had official visits with both of the top RBs in this draft - Josh Jacobs and Miles Sanders. You would have to draft them day 1 or day 2 if you want them. The point is they are very obviously looking at HIGH END improvements to the rotation.

I have no idea if Jacobs/Sanders would start for us or not. Seattle drafted a RB in the 1st last year and he was a backup who barely saw the field. Depth charts are not decided on draft day, they are decided during training camp and games. Maybe they just want better rotation and don't care who wins the starting job... Maybe they see one of those as a transcendental type of talent and think he will be an improvement over Mack? Who knows...

The point is they have repeatedly emphasized the biggest area of improvement on offense is the run game and they have been hosting some of the top free agent RBs and top draft prospect RBs for visits. 

This is how I arrived at this conclusion. Is it really that much of a stretch? 

Much of a stretch?

Well...   here is how much you stretched...   Ajayi can’t stay healthy enough to be a consistent starter.   That’s why Philly let him go and traded for Jordan Howard.    And Ware was the backup in KC until the starter got kicked off the team and suspended. 

Jacobs and Sanders could be drafted with BPA ...    too good to pass up.   But a GM that has spent a 4, 4, and a 5 on the RB position is telling everyone that’s not a position he thinks needs to be filled with premium picks.   So while I think it’s possible we could draft one of those kids, I don’t thonk it’s likely.

Premium picks going to premium positions.   I don’t think RB is one.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Is there anyway we could get a comprehensive list of all the meetings/visits? I think in years past the 1st page of the thread would have a list like that broken up into categories. Like people we brought in for top-30 visits, people we met with at the combine, personal workouts, etc... Maybe the MODs could help with that.

Here's the document for this season(not mine, this one is done by twitter user @FanOfNuance, who is one of the best Colts follows):

He had similar for last year, but I cannot find it now. 

BTW... from what I gather most teams meet with most prospects at the various events pre-draft, etc. It seems like the real important ones are the top 30 visits and the 60(?) allowed meetings at the combine simply because they are limited and and they show some level of more serious interest. 

edit: found last year's file:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/30/17179348/official-colts-2018-draft-prospect-interest-tracker

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Much of a stretch?

Well...   here is how much you stretched...   Ajayi can’t stay healthy enough to be a consistent starter.   That’s why Philly let him go and traded for Jordan Howard.    And Ware was the backup in KC until the starter got kicked off the team and suspended. 

Jacobs and Sanders could be drafted with BPA ...    too good to pass up.   But a GM that has spent a 4, 4, and a 5 on the RB position is telling everyone that’s not a position he thinks needs to be filled with premium picks.   So while I think it’s possible we could draft one of those kids, I don’t thonk it’s likely.

I don't think 2 drafts are enough of a sample to establish a significant trend. Just not enough of a sample to have any confidence in it. 

I really hope you are right, though. I definitely would prefer that we don't spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB... Here's to us not drafting a RB high :cheers:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Much of a stretch?

Patriots drafted a rb in the 1st and it worked out well for them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think 2 drafts are enough of a sample to establish a significant trend. Just not enough of a sample to have any confidence in it. 

I really hope you are right, though. I definitely would prefer that we don't spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB... Here's to us not drafting a RB high :cheers:

I dont care who we draft as long as they are a beast. Rather have a rb that gets 1500 yards and 15 tds than a edge rusher who gets three sacks. Wouldn't  mind drafting riley ridley

4 hours ago, stitches said:

God, I'm gonna hate this pick so much... And all Reich has been harping on is about how he would love to improve the run game. This is giving me the creeps. 

What would you hate more, Jacobs or another guard in Lindstrom? I like both guys but both would make me cringe at 26.

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I cant understand how Jacobs could go in the top 30, there are very few fits and he is not that good. Remember Dalvin Cook went in the middle of the second round and he was a vastly superior running back prospect.

Not that good? How do you come to that stance? And Dalvin Cook dropped because of red flags if I remember right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He also said Brian Burns could fall to the late first round. If that happened we would take Burns and not trade for Clark.

He only said that because we have the jets second round pick. 

That's probably why we are in the drivers seat.  Ford was traded for a future second though.  They only have four picks and could use more.  If we were to trade for him I would think it's before the draft. JMO. 

I would love to see us take Burns and Simmons at 26 and 34, and a WR or S at 59. That's best case scenario, but if Burns falls, it could happen. I think if Burns is likely to fall, then Ballard will trade up for him, or take him at 26. Otherwise, he'll trade our late 2nd for Clark. Remember that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Not that good? How do you come to that stance? And Dalvin Cook dropped because of red flags if I remember right.

Hasn't got a good enough tape to be a top 30 pick (or at #34). I think he is high on people's boards because it's not a good draft for RB's at the top. The value isn't there that early imo.

5 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Hasn't got a good enough tape to be a top 30 pick (or at #34). I think he is high on people's boards because it's not a good draft for RB's at the top. The value isn't there that early imo.

I can agree with you about the value of picking a RB that early and I'm not banging the drum for the Colts to take him in the first round.  But I think his tape shows he's atleast a top 30 level player. He's more than capable of being a very good three down back in the league. The only knock I see in his game is that he doesn't have that breakaway homerun speed. I don't care if he wasn't the bell cow at Bama. He shared the carries/touches with two other future NFL RBs. If anything it's a good thing that he doesn't have a ton of miles on him already at a position of short shelf life. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would love to see us take Burns and Simmons at 26 and 34, and a WR or S at 59.

That scenario would be a huge win for the Colts. I honestly don't see either player being available at 26 let alone 34. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I wouldn't bet on it. 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:13 PM, stitches said:

Here's the document for this season(not mine, this one is done by twitter user @FanOfNuance, who is one of the best Colts follows):

Excited to see that the Colts checked out two of my UAB boys (last year's Conference USA Champions)! They should both be available as UDFAs.

Tre Crawford would have had the best vertical for a LB if he were invited to the combine. He will fall because he is only 6'1 228, but would make an excellent ST player.

Jamell Garcia-Williams is a DE that is enormous (6-7, 255) with 9 sacks last year. Perhaps an eventual replacement for Hunt someday?

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Not much interest in WRs it seems... 

Wouldn't be surprised if we're just targeting McLaurin hard. I could see Ballard thinking/knowing he has him rated higher than most and will take him at 34/59 or something. As much as I would cringe at that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That could mean they are really interested in a WR. lol.

Saw Rashad Gary will need shoulder surgery at some point which could cause him to drop.

Possible. 

About Gary... I don't know how to feel about this. He's one of the players whose athletic profile way outweighs his current skill and technique. I guess I would be OK with us taking him if he falls to us, but it will be a bit of a "push the button and close my eyes" type of pick. He can go either way IMO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Possible. 

About Gary... I don't know how to feel about this. He's one of the players whose athletic profile way outweighs his current skill and technique. I guess I would be OK with us taking him if he falls to us, but it will be a bit of a "push the button and close my eyes" type of pick. He can go either way IMO. 

I don't think I'd take Gary in the first. I've gone back and watched him to form an opinion, and I'm not convinced he's a good NFL prospect. I get the athletic ability and power, but he has a distinct lack of skill and technique, limited production, and a significant health concern. I don't have a big board, but I feel like he'd wind up in the 40-50 range, at best.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think I'd take Gary in the first. I've gone back and watched him to form an opinion, and I'm not convinced he's a good NFL prospect. I get the athletic ability and power, but he has a distinct lack of skill and technique, limited production, and a significant health concern. I don't have a big board, but I feel like he'd wind up in the 40-50 range, at best.

I don't know if it matters, especially for a DLineman, but he supposedly had the lowest Wonderlic Score, not only of all DLinemen, but tied for the worst of all prospects.  :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That's reasonable. I can see the case for it. I just think the athleticism and pedigree will entice some team in the 20s to take a shot on him. He's not just athletic, his athleticism is special... outlier type for his size. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's reasonable. I can see the case for it. I just think the athleticism and pedigree will entice some team in the 20s to take a shot on him. He's not just athletic, his athleticism is special... outlier type for his size. 

He might be the DK Metcalf of DL players in the draft. Superb athlete, but can he actually play?

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

He might be the DK Metcalf of DL players in the draft. Superb athlete, but can he actually play?

I actually like Metcalf's skill better than Gary's ... :scratch: I think Metcalf can play... he needs work to be the finished product you hope he develops into, but he can play from day 1. I'm not sure Gary can play from day 1. Any play IMO will be with the goal of developing him in in-game situations more than with any illusions that he will help you win games. 

For example, I think Metcalf will be the second best WR on our roster(maybe 3d if you believe in Funchess' transition to our team) the moment he steps foot in the locker-room... I think Gary will have trouble getting any snaps in the beginning of his career if the team drafting him is actually trying to win right away. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

I actually like Metcalf's skill better than Gary's ... :scratch: I think Metcalf can play... he needs work to be the finished product you hope he develops into, but he can play from day 1. I'm not sure Gary can play from day 1. Any play IMO will be with the goal of developing him in in-game situations more than with any illusions that he will help you win games. 

For example, I think Metcalf will be the second best WR on our roster(maybe 3d if you believe in Funchess' transition to our team) the moment he steps foot in the locker-room... I think Gary will have trouble getting any snaps in the beginning of his career if the team drafting him is actually trying to win right away. 

That's a fair distinction. At the least, Metcalf will demand coverage attention, or else he'll take the top off your defense. 

• Like 2

Gary is an enigma to me

Very small (tiny) production from a 4 year player

If you cant get production against College players..... how do you beat the Pros?

I think he screams BUST in the NFL

I hope we pass on him, if he makes it to us

18 hours ago, stitches said:

The thing with Metcalf, is he does help improve your running game, as you HAVE to keep your DBs on that side back a bit further, due his speed.

The underneath routes to TEs or slants should also improve

Im not for Metcalf, I hope that the late 2nd is used for Isabella, who can accomplish much of the same thing

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Superman said:

Swap the significant health concern comment for character red flag and you got the same draft profile as another former Michigan pass rusher in Frank Clark. I think it's worked out okay for Clark. For whatever reason (scheme most likely), Michigan guys don't put up big sack numbers in college. The school record in a season is 12. Now Gary does need to get healthy but I think he's going to be a better pro player than he was in college.