Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official 2019 Colts NFL Draft Tracker - Meetings, Interviews, Private Workouts, etc

On 3/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

If the Steelers and Texans don't take him, I'm pretty sure we take Omenihu at 26. Omenihu at 26, and Abram at 34. Book it! 

I would be Ok with Abram, but I would be upset if we wasted a first round pick on Omenihu

Watch some tape on him

He looks the part, except when you turn on the tape

He needs some tremendous NFL coaching to be worth a late 2nd or 3rd

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 12:30 AM, stitches said:

Colts' OLine coaches were at Ole Miss' pro-day to watch Greg Little:

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-mississippi

Keep your eye on Greg Little

He may be a guy we get earlier than expected. 

He could sit and build strength and possibly replace AC

Overview

Little possesses the important combination of size, length and quickness as a prototypical left tackle prospect. While he wasn't asked to do it much in 2018, he has the athletic ability to handle zone-blocking duties, which could suit his skill-set more than a physical rush attack. Little is a natural bender with good feet and pepper in his punch as blind-side protector, but his average anchor and inconsistent body control create some concern. He will be an early starter at left tackle, but needs to improve his strength and eliminate his tendency to lean in order to reach the potential his physical and athletic traits offer.

• Like 2

More OLine connections:

Mudd tutored OT Kaleb McGary from Washington in the pre-draft process before taking the assistant position with the Colts.

Also... Our new OLine coach Chris Strausser was McGary's OLine coach at Washington in 2015 and 2016(freshman and sophomore years). 

Here's Mudd at an OLine clinic talking about a pass-protection technique he teaches and he uses McGary as an example and says: "So you pro guys[this is probably NFL Oline coaches and scouts he's talking to] pay attention to this guy(McGary). He's pretty good.":

This might deserve a thread of its own. I am going to make one. 

Colts have shown a lot of interest in Memphis LB Curtis Akins, according to the player himself:

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/online_features/former-memphis-tigers-shine-at-pro-day/article_45f4bba4-50de-11e9-ac30-afdaf28eb5a6.html

“The Indianapolis Colts have shown me a lot of interest,” Akins said after working with their coaches during much of Wednesday’s drills. “Their linebackers’ coach said I’d be a great fit in their room and that they brought four of their people down to come and watch me.”

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-–-boise-state

Unlike last year when Boise State had a player selected in the middle of round one, this time around the program has a pair of last day picks.  Here’s an update from Tuesday’s workout.

Running back coaches from the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints were on hand to watch Alexander Mattison who ran the forty and did position drills.

Mattison’s 40 clocked between 4.52 seconds and 4.57 seconds with the consensus being 4.55 seconds.  That’s a significant improvement from his combine mark of 4.67 seconds.  Mattison looked good in position drills and caught the ball well. 

Besides meeting with the New Orleans Saints he’s receiving interest from the Indianapolis Colts and has an official visit with the Chicago Bears.

If Kiper's right...

But seriously, I'd be okay with this guy, just please not with our 1st round pick. Ballard did say that he sees 14 upper echelon players in this draft, and then everybody after up until the top of the 3rd is similar in skill...so who knows.

6 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If Kiper's right...

But seriously, I'd be okay with this guy, just please not with our 1st round pick. Ballard did say that he sees 14 upper echelon players in this draft, and then everybody after up until the top of the 3rd is similar in skill...so who knows.

Fisti....   not saying you’re wrong...   but can you tell me when and where Ballard said his comment about 14 upper echelon players?   Your mention here is the first I’ve seen of that.

Is there a link I can read or listen to?

On 4/3/2019 at 6:28 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Keep your eye on Greg Little

He may be a guy we get earlier than expected. 

He could sit and build strength and possibly replace AC

Overview

Little possesses the important combination of size, length and quickness as a prototypical left tackle prospect. While he wasn't asked to do it much in 2018, he has the athletic ability to handle zone-blocking duties, which could suit his skill-set more than a physical rush attack. Little is a natural bender with good feet and pepper in his punch as blind-side protector, but his average anchor and inconsistent body control create some concern. He will be an early starter at left tackle, but needs to improve his strength and eliminate his tendency to lean in order to reach the potential his physical and athletic traits offer.

Someone on nfl network thought he will be an all pro in time and probe to be the best of this crop.  Baldy I think.  Maybe Bucky brooks.  I don’t remember who it was 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If Kiper's right...

14 upper echelon players?  I have not seen or read him stating that.  Are you sure?  Do you remember where you read that?  Thanks.  

12 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If Kiper's right...

I am not excited about this kid (Terry M)  As a HUGE  Ohio State fan, I watched almost every game this year.  He was 3rd or 4th choice for the QB to pass to.   

He had a decent number of TD, for the number of passes thrown his way though

I wouldnt touch him until round 4

Also, keep your eye on a WR named Olave , at Ohio State....... (He isnt coming out just yet) 

As a freshman, he started to get some playing time, at the end of the year and was almost uncoverable

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:26 AM, throwing BBZ said:

It would be really good to draft a Doyle developmental clone.

That would be Drew Sample of Washington in the later rounds on Day 3 - Rounds 4 or 5, IMO.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

14 upper echelon players?  I have not seen or read him stating that.  Are you sure?  Do you remember where you read that?  Thanks.  

Stephen Holder mentioned on the stampede blue podcast that Ballard told him there were maybe 15 elite players. After that through the second round he felt everyone else was pretty close.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That would be Drew Sample of Washington in the later rounds on Day 3 - Rounds 4 or 5, IMO.

First off........  Thanks for the research of the kids that we may be looking at

I have spent a bit of time watching a few top 2 round guys that The Colts may look at, but the later round guys I havent had time to research. I am personally responsible for 1/2 of the US land mass for my company. I am on a plane almost every week.  (Only a few more years till retirement! YEAH!)

In regards to the TE position, we sent extra tackles out on plays last year to make sure that Luck had extra time to pass

We need a good TE that can block AND catch. Doyle is the only one that truly fits this role on the team.

When you put a TE that can block as well as be a receiving threat, it makes for difficult times for the defense.

An extra tackle, on the field is really not a threat to catch a pass

I imagine that we will continue to develop Cox, but also bring in the bread and butter TE that firs this role

Thats why if Hockenson is still somehow on the board at 26....... he MAY just get the call. 

U

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't get this one. We'd have to trade up to the top 10 to get Gary and I highly doubt Ballard does that

If there is a elite player that Ballard thinks will make a difference I can see him trading up. When your a team like the colts and safe just a player or two away from a SB it’s a great time to trade up. Plus you never know when someone will fall in the draft. Just have to be prepared.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fisti....   not saying you’re wrong...   but can you tell me when and where Ballard said his comment about 14 upper echelon players?   Your mention here is the first I’ve seen of that.

Is there a link I can read or listen to?

I guess I should've said "Stephen Holder said Ballard said." He relayed it in his podcast:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/stampede-blue/e/59839707

It's more of just a "Ballard told me that people are wrong about all the elite talent in this draft...only about 14 upper echelon players in the draft...the talent from 15ish up until the top of the 3rd round is pretty similar."

Not that this points to Terry at #26, was more just joking about Kiper, but it is an interesting statement. We could see some surprising picks at #26 or #34, or trades, etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

U

If there is a elite player that Ballard thinks will make a difference I can see him trading up. When your a team like the colts and safe just a player or two away from a SB it’s a great time to trade up. Plus you never know when someone will fall in the draft. Just have to be prepared.

You realize to trade up 16 spots, we'd have to give up atleast two first round picks and the 34th pick right?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You realize to trade up 16 spots, we'd have to give up atleast two first round picks and the 34th pick right?

I think it’s more to just be prepared in case he does fall into a range they would be comfy trading up. I have noticed they have talked to a lot of players that probably won’t be there.  Didn’t they only talk to Nelson like once and it was very quick. Be on the lookout for players they are not showing interest in. That could be where the big story is. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't get this one. We'd have to trade up to the top 10 to get Gary and I highly doubt Ballard does that

They are covering their bases in case he falls. There are questions about his production... I don't know if they trade up for him if he falls to say... 15-16? 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s more to just be prepared in case he does fall into a range they would be comfy trading up. I have noticed they have talked to a lot of players that probably won’t be there.  Didn’t they only talk to Nelson like once and it was very quick. Be on the lookout for players they are not showing interest in. That could be where the big story is. 

Nelson imo, the colts already did their homework, I mean the guy was 3 hours down the road so there probably wasn't much the colts needed to know

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, I should've clarified/linked to Stephen Holder's podcast. He says Ballard told him this...that there are 14 upper echelon players...that after that the draft could be a free for all...that players most don't view as 1st's could go in the 1st and so on.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/stampede-blue/e/59839707

He starts talking about it around 26:30 in for anybody interested.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Saints traded a first just to move up 12 spots

The saints chose to do so because they didn't want to trade more picks from last year's draft.

So they traded a future 1st round pick which would have a current value of a 2nd round pick.

We have the picks to move if we want to this year.      Could we trade a future 1st?    Sure.   But do you see Ballard doing that?      No.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The saints chose to do so because they didn't want to trade more picks from last year's draft.

So they traded a future 1st round pick which would have a current value of a 2nd round pick.

We have the picks to move if we want to this year.      Could we trade a future 1st?    Sure.   But do you see Ballard doing that?      No.

Which is my point. The cost to move up to the top ten is not something I can see ballard doing. Now if they wanna get in the 15-20 range to get burns, that makes more sense.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Which is my point. The cost to move up to the top ten is not something I can see ballard doing. Now if they wanna get in the 15-20 range to get burns, that makes more sense.

No, it's not your point.     You're claiming the Colts have to trade a 1 this year, a high 2 this year (34) AND a 1 next year.

The Saints didn't trade that much.     They traded a 1 last year and this year,  and their 5th round pick, (147)

Do you see how those two deals are no where near each other? 

You have the Colts trading a 1, 1 and a high 2.

The Saints trade a 1, 1 and a high 5.

See the difference?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, it's not your point.     You're claiming the Colts have to trade a 1 this year, a high 2 this year (34) AND a 1 next year.

The Saints didn't trade that much.     They traded a 1 last year and this year,  and their 5th round pick, (147)

Do you see how those two deals are no where near each other? 

You have the Colts trading a 1, 1 and a high 2.

The Saints trade a 1, 1 and a high 5.

See the difference?

Yes, but the saints didn't trade to the top ten. They traded to 14. 

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes, but the saints didn't trade to the top ten. They traded to 14. 

If you look at my thread about trading up.

You'll see that strictly by the points chart,  the 34 pick ALONE gets us to pick 11.     It would not take a next year's number one to move up one more pick.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you look at my thread about trading up.

You'll see that strictly by the points chart,  the 34 pick ALONE gets us to pick 11.     It would not take a next year's number one to move up one more pick.

If thats the case, I have no problem with that, but I'm not sure a team wants to drop 15 picks just to get the 34th pick.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does Lawrence really fit the colts system. 

That does not surprise me about Isabella. 

A younger, more athletic and explosive Al Woods.....He'd require double teams and would free up the other lineman and Leonard etc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If thats the case, I have no problem with that, but I'm not sure a team wants to drop 15 picks just to get the 34th pick.

Yes.....   I agree.    And honestly,  I suspect the Saints over-paid in order to move up as far as they did.    They had to entice a team to make it worthwhile for them to move that far down.

Call it.....     the cost of doing business.

It's next to impossibe to see Ballard being willing to trade so much high draft capital in order to trade up.    I think he'd pass on that....