Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official 2019 Colts NFL Draft Tracker - Meetings, Interviews, Private Workouts, etc

As an edge Rusher I think you'll get from Gary about as much as Pittsburgh has gotten out of Bud Dupree. His approach to the pass rush reminds me of how Bud Dupree did things at Kentucky. He's fast off the ball but doesn't have much of an approach to the pass rush.  There are some things you can teach him to become better there, but there's still not a whole lot of flexibility turning the corner once he gets into his rush.  There's not a lot in terms of change of direction, ability to spin move etc, etc.  I like his size, speed and strength.  There's an article I read where it was said he may have a better future as an athletic 3 Tech in a one gap scheme because of how fast he gets off the ball for gap shooting, how strong he is and some of the moves he's already good at.  I'm not totally certain, but he is kind of built like Denico Autry and is a really good athlete I will say that.  https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect-edge-rashan-gary.

Here's something to consider regarding the apparent lack of interest by the Colts in WRs.... and in case we don't take one this year:

Jeremiah is right. Next year's WR class is STACKED. There will be multiple players better than the best WR in this class. It's possible Ballard has just decided to let Cain prove himself and postpone the drafting of a WR for next year... although... again... I really love the WRs specifically in the range we are drafting this year... late-first - early second to third... 

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Swap the significant health concern comment for character red flag and you got the same draft profile as another former Michigan pass rusher in Frank Clark. I think it's worked out okay for Clark. For whatever reason (scheme most likely), Michigan guys don't put up big sack numbers in college. The school record in a season is 12. Now Gary does need to get healthy but I think he's going to be a better pro player than he was in college.

And Clark went in the late second, not the top 20 like Gary has been projected, although his projections have been falling lately.

There have been a lot of guys with a similar profile. Most of them don't turn into Frank Clark. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

And Clark went in the late second, not the top 20 like Gary has been projected, although his projections have been falling lately.

There have been a lot of guys with a similar profile. Most of them don't turn into Frank Clark. 

Clark was also projected as a 3rd/4th round pick but still managed to find his way into the second round. You of all people know the value and premium on pass rushers. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's something to consider regarding the apparent lack of interest by the Colts in WRs.... and in case we don't take one this year:

Jeremiah is right. Next year's WR class is STACKED. There will be multiple players better than the best WR in this class. It's possible Ballard has just decided to let Cain prove himself and postpone the drafting of a WR for next year... although... again... I really love the WRs specifically in the range we are drafting this year... late-first - early second to third... 

The RB class in no joke. AJ Dillon, Travis Entienne, Jonathan Taylor, Najee Harris, J.K. Dobbins. All top tier talents.

From WalterFootball but still interesting:

A year ago, the Colts were one of the teams that was in dire need of a great draft class, and they hit a home run in 2018 with a loaded class which took them from last place to easily beating the division champion Texans in the first round of the playoffs. After two strong draft classes under general manager Chris Ballard and director of college scouting Morocco Brown, Indianapolis is able to target the best player available regardless of position. 

The strength of the 2019 draft class is the defensive line, but it sounds like two potential defensive lineman who could go in the range of the Colts' pick aren't in play for them. In speaking with sources, it sounded unlikely Indianapolis would take Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons given that he may not play at all during his rookie season due to his ACL tear while training for the combine. Clemson nose tackle Dexter Lawrence also does not sound to be a candidate either. Lawrence has some limitations for a 4-3 defense and doesn't project well to contributing in the nickel. Adding to the defensive line is in play for Indianapolis, but it sounds like the organization is likely to pass on Simmons and Lawrence

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2019-NFL-Draft-Week---Wednesday-Rumors#ixzz5m2mAokGL

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2019-NFL-Draft-Week---Wednesday-Rumors#IZJmvCG8WXTXePvJ.99

• 3 weeks later...