Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official 2019 Colts NFL Draft Tracker - Meetings, Interviews, Private Workouts, etc

On 4/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, chad72 said:

It is pretty much a walk-on type try outs, the above kind that were not invited to the combine. I hope one of those guys crack the Top 90 to get some kind of experience. I know I would be excited and rooting for them if one of those were my friends. 

I haven’t seen any stories on the super regional tryouts this year.  

Anyone heard anything? Normally there’s someone interesting 

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/getting-into-the-game/regional-combine-invitational/

Edit: I guess they did away with the regionals?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2018/1/19/16911258/the-nfl-regional-combines-are-no-more

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

I like him as a player, it’s just that he’s TY. Now I can understand the headache that would cause opposing defenses but do we really need another TY? Funchess is on a 1 year deal. I’d rather get another receiver like him to replace him. Or get a slot receiver to upgrade Rodgers.

https://orangeandblue760.iheart.com/content/2019-04-16-nfl-draft-analyst-for-the-athletic-dane-brugler-on-orange-blue-760/

Dane Brugler said in this podcast that the Colts really like AJ Brown and might take him with 26 or 34 if he's there. This is of note, because Brugler seems to be one of the analysts know Ballard personally and has credited Ballard for his view on football players. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://orangeandblue760.iheart.com/content/2019-04-16-nfl-draft-analyst-for-the-athletic-dane-brugler-on-orange-blue-760/

Dane Brugler said in this podcast that the Colts really like AJ Brown and might take him with 26 or 34 if he's there. This is of note, because Brugler seems to be one of the analysts know Ballard personally and has credited Ballard for his view on football players. 

AJ Brown does remind me a lot of Reggie Wayne.

• Like 1

An interview with Marshall University's safety Malik Gant.

Colts Prospect Interviews: Marshall Safety Malik Gant

By Zach Hicks Apr 16, 2019, 3:30pm EDT

Share Tweet Share

ShareColts Prospect Interviews: Marshall Safety Malik Gant

tweet share Reddit Pocket Flipboard Email

Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images

The Colts prospect interviews are rolling along as we approach the NFL Draft. Today’s player interview is Marshall Safety Malik Gant. The Colts could use a tone setter on the back end, and the hard-hitting Gant would be an excellent fit.

The interview will be towards the bottom of the page, as he interviewed exclusively with Stampede Blue to talk about rising up from being a walk on to a star player, why he declared early for this draft, and how he would pair with Malik Hooker on the back end.

Background

Size:

5’11” 209 pounds

Measurables:

40 Time: 4.63 / 10-yard split: 1.61 / Bench Reps: 17 Reps / Vertical Jump: 34.5 inches / Broad Jump: 114 inches / 3-Cone: 7.45 seconds

Career Stats:

190 total tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, 1 sack, 2 interceptions, and 13 pass deflections in his career.

Round Projection:

Rounds 4-5

Fit with the Colts:

The Colts still have a major need for a safety in this draft despite re-signing Matthias Farley and Clayton Geathers. Geathers has had his injury problems in the past and Farley is coming off of a season-ending injury. Adding a tone setter like Gant would be an excellent addition to the team. He may not be a great athlete, but he makes up for that deficiency with a tireless motor, excellent angles, and top-notch physicality. He is a tone setter on the back end that offenses are always aware of. The addition of Gant, to go along with the safety group the team already has, could make for a fun and physical group.

Film Room

Motor and closing speed stand out the most on film. Gant knows how to close ground in a hurry, and plays with a ton of effort on every play.

Gant is solid in coverage as well, as he knows how to separate ball from man and be physical with bigger players.

Gant is also a big hitter on almost every play (which got me a bit excited in this tweet).

Interview

ZH: You decided to walk on at Marshall out of high school. Why did you decide to go that route?

MG: I didn’t really have any other choices, I didn’t have any offers from any other schools. The process was getting really difficult and my mother told me as a last resort she wants me to go to school just for my education, and I got accepted to most schools. Marshall was right down the road and was the cheapest process for me to be able to go to school. Once we got down there for a tour, the opportunity for me to be a walk on showed itself and my mother said it was a great opportunity for me to be able to play football and continue my education.

ZH: How did it feel when you finally earned that scholarship last year?

MG: It felt great because I was able to relieve my mother of having to pay for school after those first two years. It was just a great feeling because of that aspect.

ZH: How did it feel to go from walk on to Team MVP after this past season?

MG: It felt great. Not just for myself, but for being able to be a leader for everybody on the team from the walk ons to the people who get every single rep. Just being able to lead by example and show people that you can come from anything was really important for me.

ZH: You decided to declare for this draft early, declaring after your redshirt Junior season. What went into deciding to leave college early?

MG: I would say just the opportunity to be able to chase my dream and to be able to contribute and give back to my mother. She put the money into my dream those first two years when I was a walk on and helped me reach the point where I am at right now. Seeing the toll it took on her paying for those first two years, I really want to be able to give back to mother for everything she did for me.

ZH: Going to your film, you don’t just tackle players. You tackle through them. How important is it to be a consistent tackler who leaves a mark on players when you are tackling?

MG: The main thing that I think people shy away from is that hitting someone sticks in a person’s mind for an entire game. We are all human, you know. If you have to think about or second guess playing the same same way that you have always played, especially for offensive players, that slows down the way they usually play and that is an advantage for the defense and the entire team even. That is just the advantage of putting it into their head that if they go my direction, I’m going to make the tackle.

ZH: Would you label yourself as a tone setter of a defense?

MG: Yeah, most definitely. I set the tone for the entire defense on every play.

ZH: A major aspect of playing safety, especially for strong safeties, is the ability to cover tight ends. Do you think you match up well with these athletic tight ends in the NFL?

MG: Yeah definitely. I would say being able to be so versatile, with playing in the box and checking running backs and tight ends and slot receivers, is a strength for me. Being able to come down and play man or play zone is something I’m very prepared for. I’m fluid in my hips and I think I’d be great doing that.

ZH: Who in the NFL do you model your game after/compare yourself to?

MG: If I could compare myself to anyone, I would say Earl Thomas, who recently signed with the Ravens. He is just versatile. He can play anywhere on the field and there is no drop off in any position you put him at.

ZH: How well do you think that you would pair with a ballhawking free safety in Malik Hooker?

MG: I would say that I would be great because with my skill and his play as a ballhawk, we would be perfect with each other. You got a person who can play in the box and stop the run, when it is necessary, and check the tight ends and running backs and stop the short game, which helps out on the back end and allows him to roam back there. We could also switch roles even and make the defense even more fluid.

ZH: Last question for you. On and off of the field, what is my team getting if they draft Malik Gant? What makes you stand out in this class?

MG: If you look at my stats and you look at my style of play, there isn’t any safety that matches up with my versatility. Everybody is a safety who can play on the back end or play in the post but no one in this entire class this year has played as many snaps in the box as I have or has made as many stops for negative yardage at the line of scrimmage as I have. I don’t think anybody else compares to my ability as a safety around the line of scrimmage.

Sponsored Content

New Migraine Treatment That Will Take Care of You. Search For Severe MigraineMigraine Treatments | Sponsored Listings

[Photos] A Man Was Just Trying to Help, How Lioness Responded Will Amaze YouBob's Hideout

Walmart Cameras Captured These Hilarious PhotosBon Voyaged

[Photos] The Wealthiest Actor of All Times is in the ‘Game of Thrones' CastBob's Hideout

One Thing All Liars Have in Common, Brace YourselfTruthFinder

16 Drawings That Perfectly Capture Married LifeEditor Choice

Recommended by

Ranking the AFC South ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft

How did the Colts’ AFC rivals do in free-agency? Considering the Colts improved themselves in free-agency, how did Indy’s rivals do?

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Fluke_33 said:

He dressed like a girl in that pic but as long as he catches tds I’m cool with it 

And he brought Ballard a gift bag and a bottle of hand sanitizer... so that could move him up a round on the draft room board! :thmup:

3 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

The interest in Lindstrom could be very real. Good player and not a bad 2nd round choice but I'd probably prefer a tackle (to eventually replace AC.) 

If we're interested at corner (like Allbright says) I would love Byron Murphy

Allbright has been on the "Colts are in search for a corner" all off-season long. Lets see if his sources are good. If we draft a CB in the first 2 days I will count that as a hit for him. 

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I say draft them both.

Sweat drops to 26, draft him... Simmons 34... Abram 59... Mississippi state Colts. 

I like Lindstrom but don't know if I could get behind it at 26 which is most likely were you would have to take him. I'd be more comfortable with Simmons or Abram.

Then again, there's so many different people saying different things it's hard to believe anything. Miller says it's Simmons or Abram, Albright says Lindstrom or CB, Brugler said AJ Brown. Only Ballard knows.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

God, I'm gonna hate this pick so much... And all Reich has been harping on is about how he would love to improve the run game. This is giving me the creeps. 

So they played basketball. Doesn't mean anything. If anything, their trolling the eagles and raiders who also seem interested in Jacobs

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

So they played basketball. Doesn't mean anything. If anything, their trolling the eagles and raiders who also seem interested in Jacobs

I hope so... but I've learned to listen to Ballard and now by extension to Reich. They don't seem to lie... as long as you just listen to them. They've been telling us improving the run game is a top priority. They have been having FA RB after FA RB visit us for workouts/talks... they've had pretty much all top RBs for visits/private workouts. Just listen to what they are telling us. This is either the most elaborate troll job to make the Raiders or Eagles pick him before us(thus get another prospect fall to us), or they truly are open to drafting a RB high, IMO. 

• Like 2

Just now, stitches said:

I hope so... but I've learned to listen to Ballard and now by extension to Reich. They don't seem to lie... as long as you just listen to them. They've been telling us improving the run game is a top priority. They have been having FA RB after FA RB visit us for workouts/talks... they've had pretty much all top RBs for visits/private workouts. Just listen to what they are telling us. This is either the most elaborate troll job to make the Raiders or Eagles pick him before us(thus get another prospect fall to us), or they truly are open to drafting a RB high, IMO. 

They also have talked about trenches and getting another safety. this pick can go anywhere

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They also have talked about trenches and getting another safety. this pick can go anywhere

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean 26 only... it might be sometime in day 2. Oh well... I guess we will see soon enough. 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think drafting Jacobs could easily happen.  Don't forget he is a top 15 player by many experts that would fall to 26.  That might be a value Ballard might find hard to pass up.  But I think the Raiders or Eagles could grab him like you said.  If Ballard passes on him at 26 and the Raiders don't take him at 27 there is probably a good chance he could fall to 34 and Ballard could get his 2nd. chance.  Also there are no safeties rated higher than Jacobs I believe.  They have been open about wanting to improve the run game so anything can happen I guess. 

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think drafting Jacobs could easily happen.  Don't forget he is a top 15 player by many experts that would fall to 26.  That might be a value Ballard might find hard to pass up.  But I think the Raiders or Eagles could grab him like you said.  If Ballard passes on him at 26 and the Raiders don't take him at 27 there is probably a good chance he could fall to 34 and Ballard could get his 2nd. chance.  Also there are no safeties rated higher than Jacobs I believe.  They have been open about wanting to improve the run game so anything can happen I guess. 

To the bolded, the only place it matters is on Ballard's board and we have no idea who or what position is there.  That is a statement made based on the ratings of the Mel Kiper's of the world and there could not be a more meaningless ranking.  

I was listening to Brady Quinn yesterday on NFL radio and he said a former colleague of his (and an "NFL guru" got no picks right in round 1 of his mock last year.  No clue who he was speaking about but it illustrates how far off they can be.  

• Thanks 2

I dont think Chris Ballard, of all we know of him, is going to take Jacobs with the #26 or #34 pick. I cant understand how Jacobs could go in the top 30, there are very few fits and he is not that good. Remember Dalvin Cook went in the middle of the second round and he was a vastly superior running back prospect. If Jacobs is there at #59 he could be on Ballard's mind but still I don't see Ballard drafting a RB that early. D-line, OT, WR, and DB's are the position groups we will be picking from early in the draft. And there is a good amount of talent that should be available at DT, WR and S between #34 and #59.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

How did you arrive that looking at several backs, ALL of whom are backup level backs, is a tell-sign that we're going to draft a running back high?     

Who drafts a running back high to be a backup?   Ballard’s stRting running back, who he says is a 3-down starter was himself a low 4th round pick.  Now you think we’re drafting a RB high to be a back up?   Or a starter?

I don’t know how you arrived at the conclusions you did?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How did you arrive that looking at several backs, ALL of whom are backup level backs, is a tell-sign that we're going to draft a running back high?     

Who drafts a running back high to be a backup?   Ballard’s stRting running back, who he says is a 3-down starter was himself a low 4th round pick.  Now you think we’re drafting a RB high to be a back up?   Or a starter?

I don’t know how you arrived at the conclusions you did?

They are sniffing around Jay Ajayi who when healthy is a starter. Spencer Ware has been a starter too. 

We have had official visits with both of the top RBs in this draft - Josh Jacobs and Miles Sanders. You would have to draft them day 1 or day 2 if you want them. The point is they are very obviously looking at HIGH END improvements to the rotation.

I have no idea if Jacobs/Sanders would start for us or not. Seattle drafted a RB in the 1st last year and he was a backup who barely saw the field. Depth charts are not decided on draft day, they are decided during training camp and games. Maybe they just want better rotation and don't care who wins the starting job... Maybe they see one of those as a transcendental type of talent and think he will be an improvement over Mack? Who knows...

The point is they have repeatedly emphasized the biggest area of improvement on offense is the run game and they have been hosting some of the top free agent RBs and top draft prospect RBs for visits. 

This is how I arrived at this conclusion. Is it really that much of a stretch? 

• Like 3