Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 teams, 3 spots

CR91

Colts can beat DAL...but after the way the games played out today...they also have something going for them in that game.

DAL can lose that game AND then clinch at home the following week. You think Jerry doesn't want to that clincher at home? DAL clinches before in IND and then they are basically playing a meaningless game at home in Week 16...the last game at home for the season. I just don't see that happening.

Colts win that game by a 10 points...and then DAL crushes TB the following week. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Thanks for posting this, for what it's worth, Houston hasn't locked the south just yet.  I do understand it's very likely but still notable.

I know, but they still would need to lose twice for us to have any chance and they play the jets eagles and jagd. I dont see that happening

Last night shows that we can see out close games, I watched a bit of the Dallas game and I have to say they looked dangerous going forward although Prescott did get sacked a couple if times during the closing stages I saw. They also seemed to give a way a lot of penalties, so I think if we get in their faces they could get rattled.

16 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

We don't have to stop Cooper,..just have to get into Dak's face.  And we've proven we can do that against the past few teams we've played with a couple extra blitzes.  Our D-line has been playing lights out lately.

We stopped Hopkins, who is better than Cooper. The gameplan on D should be the same, blitz, blitz, and blitz some more. Don't let Dak use his legs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

We’ve definitely got some Cowboys fans on the forum masquerading as Colts fans...  I expect to see them wearing Cowboy jerseys next Sunday...  And for all the ones hyping Vander Esch over Leonard, LVE was getting abused today by Philly while The Maniac had 9 more solos, another sack, and an amazing pass defense against Hopkins to prevent a touchdown...  The DROY plays for the Colts.

Leonard was awesome...but how exactly did LVE get abused? PHI didn't score until late in the 3rd quarter.

The only bad plays I can remember were him whiffing on Sproles and trying to chase him down after he was picked...something many great players have struggled with. Hardly abused.

I can very much see the Steelers missing out... 

For what it's worth, which is pretty much zero, I guess we scrape it losing one of the Giants or Dallas games as thus:

https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/CustomLeague/SchedulePicker/d0b6b7be-6b31-49cc-8199-16c473d3ca2e/?L=IwZgTMxh2bfzqSKlXQ9EHdY1es82RBW0puUixlMa9VMJFaeGGuX91B+hLXvx4MmpFMJwdsQA&c=cgm:1|tnptlw:true

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

With the broncos losing to the 49ers, that basically takes them out of the race for the playoffs. Another loss that helps is the raiders beating the steelers dropping them to 7-5-1. Right now, the only teams that are basically locks for the playoffs are the chiefs, patriots, and Texans.

Colts, Ravens, Dolphins, and Titans are 7-6 with the Steelers being 7-5-1

Remaining games for each team

Colts

Vs Cowboys

Vs Giants

At Titans

Ravens

Vs Bucs

At Chargers

Vs Browns

Dolphins

At Vikings

Vs Jags

At Bills

Titans

At Giants

Vs Redskins

Vs Colts

Steelers

Vs pats

At saints

Vs Bengals

I see the colts

winning 2 out of 3 (Cowboys only potential loss) finishing. 9-7

ravens

I see as 1-2 losing to Chargers and the Browns.  Fins

ish 8-8

dolphins:

lose all 3 finish 7-9

steelers:

lose 2 out of 3 finishin 8-7-1

steelers and Colts make the playoffs..

Colts @ Texans

Chargers @ Steelers

19 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

You guys' lack of faith in our team baffles me.  We are not only going to beat the Cowboys,..We're going to beat them by more than 2 TD's. Our front 7 stops the run like no-ones business. That's the Cowboys only way to win. Dak is not good under pressure, and ever since Eberflus got out from under a rock and threw a few more blitzes in each game, we get to QB's now. They won't score 17.  And Luck picks apart zone defenses. 

I like your optimism :yahoo:

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So, just for arguments sake - if we are the last seed, and Houston wins the South with a better record than Pittsburgh ...

Would we play Houston?  

I don't like to look to far ahead, but you can imagine their incentive for that game!

Its pretty much between them and NE for the #2 seed (barring a Chiefs collapse). Even then you figure Chiefs/Chargers will be taking one of the top two seeds and 5 seed between them. AFC North winner is likely to be the #4 seed so I’d say it’s very likely we play them in the WC, if we make it. 

• Like 1

You could probably even pinpoint the time.  Dallas would get the Saturday night primetime game.  Chicago(big market) would get the late Sunday game.  I'm guessing they would put the Chargers/Ravens in the 4:30 Saturday slot, so it's not a 10:00 AM start, LA/West Coast time on Sunday morning.  

If the Colts make it, they would probably be back in Houston at 1:00 PM on Sunday Jan. 6th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Its pretty much between them and NE for the #2 seed (barring a Chiefs collapse). Even then you figure Chiefs/Chargers will be taking one of the top two seeds and 5 seed between them. AFC North winner is likely to be the #4 seed so I’d say it’s very likely we play them in the WC, if we make it. 

Again, don’t want to be concerned, but can you imagine how they’d key on T.Y. for that game?    Especially after what everyone has said bout him owning them.   

3 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I'm curious about this as well. If the Colts and Dolphins both win out and finish 10 -6 who would have the tie break? Us or them.

According to NFL.com tie breaker rules, I think it says head to head then conference record, which is why I'm confused about the current seedings on NFL.com.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Head to Head is indeed the 1st tiebreaker. When I was watching Golic and Wingo this morning they had the Colts in 7th.

These are the rules, the problem is you cannot do head-to-head amongst three clubs unless one of them has defeated all the others or one of them has lost to all of the others. So, if it is amongst Dolphins, Colts and Titans, we have the head-to-head come into picture. If the Ravens also have the same record, the head-to-head is tossed out.

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1.    If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2.    If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1.    Head-to-head, if applicable.

2.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4.    Strength of victory.

5.    Strength of schedule.

6.    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7.    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8.    Best net points in conference games.

9.    Best net points in all games.

10.  Best net touchdowns in all games.

11.  Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1.    Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2.    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5.    Strength of victory.

6.    Strength of schedule.

7.    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8.    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9.    Best net points in conference games.

10.  Best net points in all games.

11.  Best net touchdowns in all games.

12.  Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

These are the rules, the problem is you cannot do head-to-head amongst three clubs unless one of them has defeated all the others or one of them has lost to all of the others. So, if it is amongst Dolphins, Colts and Titans, we have the head-to-head come into picture. If the Ravens also have the same record, the head-to-head is tossed out.

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

To Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1.    If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2.    If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1.    Head-to-head, if applicable.

2.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4.    Strength of victory.

5.    Strength of schedule.

6.    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7.    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8.    Best net points in conference games.

9.    Best net points in all games.

10.  Best net touchdowns in all games.

11.  Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1.    Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2.    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4.    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5.    Strength of victory.

6.    Strength of schedule.

7.    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8.    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9.    Best net points in conference games.

10.  Best net points in all games.

11.  Best net touchdowns in all games.

12.  Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Thanks, that is interesting. So I guess if the Colts, Ravens, and Dolphins end up with the same record, head to head doesn't mean squat lol. If we end up with the same record as the Ravens we won't make it anyway because they have all the tiebreakers. Sounds like if the Colts, Titans, and Dolphins finish the same and we beat the Titans again than head to head does rule out.

There is a scenario where the Colts could win out, Baltimore and/or Pittsburgh could lose another game and the Colts wouldn't make it - Miami wins out and the Pats lose two.  Miami wins the division and the Pats are the 6th seed.  Unlikely, but it's there.

Of course, under that same scenario, were the Texans to lose two, the Colts would get a bye.  Lol   One win/loss from the Texans would be the difference between a bye and the #7 spot.

If Colts win out and go 10-6, the only way they miss the playoffs is if Dolphins, Ravens and Steelers all win out too. (I think) :)

I look at it this way:

For Colts to win out they would have to beat red hot Texans (done), red hot Cowboys, a Giants team that’s playing well, and at Titans. That would be very impressive. 

For Dolphins to win out they would have to beat Pats (done) and at Vikings back to back, Jags and at Bills. That would be very impressive.

For Ravens to win out they have to win at Chargers and Home vs Bucs and tough Browns team. Not bad.

For Steelers to win out they have to beat Pats, Bengals and at Saints, Very impressive. 

Point I’m getting at: if any of these teams get to 10 wins they have earned their way into the playoffs. 

• Like 3