Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any idea when Jalen Collins will see some game action?

RockThatBlue

Ask and you shall receive, OP!

According to Matt Eberflus, when he starts actually practicing hard:

"Yeah, I do see the talent there,” Eberflus explained. “Now, what he has to learn to do is practice the way we practice. The way we practice is full-out. There is walk-through, and then full speed. Then, once you learn to play full speed all the time, that’s practicing our way. I think he’s learning to do that. He’s not there yet, relative to that. But we have a style in which we play, and each player is held to that standard. When he does that, we will see where he is.

Eberflus doesn't throw him under the bus, but it's pretty easy to read the writing on the wall there.  Doesn't sound super encouraging but I wasn't expecting much from such a low-risk signing.

Full article.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/07/jalen-collins-indianapolis-colts-debut-not-imminent/2225450002/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They interviewed Eberflus a couple weeks ago and asked him about Collins.  He basically said he’s not ready and he has to practice at game speed.  

I dont know if he was implying he's not in shape, not giving his all, or just needs to learn the D.  In any case, he’s not wowing them in practice.  

Edit:   Just saw the previous post.   Good job @zibby43

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would imagine he will dress for the last 2-3 games to get some idea how he fits in for next season...

My take on the article was he's not in game shape and he is not 100% ready yet physically......but the talent is evident.

Sounds kinda like Wilson when he first got here 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would imagine he will dress for the last 2-3 games to get some idea how he fits in for next season...

My take on the article was he's not in game shape and he is not 100% ready yet physically......but the talent is evident.

I would agree

I bet they give him some game time just to see what they have.... especially if we fall off track for a playoff spot

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

My take on that same article is that he isn’t a practice hard guy and still believes his college talent and abilities is better than everyone else’s skills. I took, once this kid understands that it takes full out practices and watching the film and putting in a steady dedication into the intricacies of his craft, then we can trust him and get him into the game. 

I unfortunately think this this kid is like so many other talented players who came from college and half *ed it to start an NFL career and not understanding that at this level, 90% of these guys are equally as talented now, they believe because they are not given play time is because of coaches have a grudge or something not because suddenly they are on equal footing in the league and the other guy across from him actually practices better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

My take on that same article is that he isn’t a practice hard guy and still believes his college talent and abilities is better than everyone else’s skills. I took, once this kid understands that it takes full out practices and watching the film and putting in a steady dedication into the intricacies of his craft, then we can trust him and get him into the game. 

I unfortunately think this this kid is like so many other talented players who came from college and half *ed it to start an NFL career and not understanding that at this level, 90% of these guys are equally as talented now, they believe because they are not given play time is because of coaches have a grudge or something not because suddenly they are on equal footing in the league and the other guy across from him actually practices better. 

Sounds like Collins needs to shadow Mike Mitchell like Quincy Wilson has been doing. 

• Like 2

I expect this guy to be on off-season watch. A “next year” guy. If he works out hard; if he stays clean, obviously; if he sticks around the  facilities. If he shows he’s committed to his trade, he’ll be in camp next year. That’s all you should expect. This year, unless there are catastrophic injuries between now and the final game, Collins is a PS player. 

On 12/9/2018 at 4:39 PM, VaAllDay757 said:

He won't be ready until next season

I'm wondering what his contract status is.  Is he under contract for next season or a free agent at the end of this season.  Yes, I know it seems silly to sign a guy for the end of the season when you don't even know if he will even play.  Don't think CB would do that but sometimes you never know.

25 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

I'm wondering what his contract status is.  Is he under contract for next season or a free agent at the end of this season.  Yes, I know it seems silly to sign a guy for the end of the season when you don't even know if he will even play.  Don't think CB would do that but sometimes you never know.

Well he's has to get back into football season shape anyway plus he has to earn his chance like everyone else does I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for training camp next year