Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking Ahead To 2013

BProland85

I know its early, but since we are expected to go through some growing pains, although I dont think we will be as bad as the talking heads on ESPN, what do you see our record being in 2012 and is there any top studs we could be in position for getting next draft to help out Luck and the team?

Btw I predict about a 6-10 or 7-9 year. Not the 3-13 year most ESPN guys think. I dont think we'll be quite as bad as last year. We should actually have good coaching this year, plus an actual QB, and better defense.

It's a new start with a new coaching staff, FO, QB and defensive scheme. I see a bright future and maybe even a good start. I see a 6-10 or 7-9 season under the most pro-ready QB in years.

Honestly, I see 3-13. We'll be much more competitive than last year, but with a rookie QB, probably no real threats at WR, new coaching staff and defensive scheme it's going to be tough to succeed right off the bat. I think we'll get the #1 or #2 pick and trade down because Barkley and Bray will have huge trade value and we can use all those picks to build a core around Luck. But I don't see a very fun season coming up.

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas(This guy is the real deal. I know, I'm a Horns fan)http://www.texasspor..._jackson00.html

Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina

Anthony Johnson, NT, LSU

Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama

Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia

Johnathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia

Brandon Jenkins, LB, FSU

Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia(Another good player to get especially now for the 3-4)

Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

T.J. McDonald, S, USC

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Miami

Robert Lester, S, Alabama

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

Johnathan Banks, CB, Miss. St.

Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas

Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

I focused on defense because I see us going offense heavy in the draft this year

4-12 5-11 Rookie HC Rookie QB and no weapons for him to throw to or an oline to protect him.. Not to mention a major change to the defensive scheme.. Gonna be a long season. But the following year could be much better i feel..

At the moment, we don't have weapons or a line. Let's see what happens in the draft and free agency.

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas(This guy is the real deal. I know, I'm a Horns fan)http://www.texasspor..._jackson00.html

Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina

Anthony Johnson, NT, LSU

Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama

Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia

Johnathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia

Brandon Jenkins, LB, FSU

Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia(Another good player to get especially now for the 3-4)

Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame

T.J. McDonald, S, USC

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Miami

Robert Lester, S, Alabama

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

Johnathan Banks, CB, Miss. St.

Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas

Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

I focused on defense because I see us going offense heavy in the draft this year

That's a solid list I would just add Sam Montgomery DE/OLB LSU and Xavier Rhodes CB FSU as possible 1st rounders

Very true.. It will be an interesting off season..

I'm excited for rounds 2-7 of the draft since it's already determined what we will do in the first round. I don't think we will be huge players in free agency; we might go after some smaller name guys, but I don't expect us to make any huge splashes

4-12 5-11 Rookie HC Rookie QB and no weapons for him to throw to or an oline to protect him.. Not to mention a major change to the defensive scheme.. Gonna be a long season. But the following year could be much better i feel..

With all of those holes you mentioned, 4-12 or 5-11 might be a stretch.

i would guess we will be "bad" as far as our record, but be competative in the games we lose...much like Peyton's rookie year, i expect us to struggle to find wins...finish around 3-13.

The team during Peyton's rookie season had more talent on it than this team. He had Tarik Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk etc

But i expect us to end up with the #1 or #2 pick in the draft again, and be able to trade it for several other picks...and Polian says that we will have "oodles" of cash to spend, under the salary cap, next year...so with all of the good draft picks along with "oodles" of money and Luck getting some experience, things could turn around within 2-3 years pretty easily.

In contrast, i expect Peyton's new team to compete for a super bowl for the next couple years...so that should give us all plenty to watch for the next few seasons, between the Colts rebuilding and Peyton finishing his Hall of Fame career.

I just hope that everyone gives the team a chance. It wont be easy for Luck, following the best to ever play the game...people need to remember that Peyton was 3-13 his rookie year, and had over 20 INTs also. I dont expect Luck to ever be as great as Peyton, but i expect him to be very good...people need to give it time, though, and not compare the two.

In my opinion it's a little bit early, that there are no weapons for Luck, as it is too early to predict even 2012 season, not to mention 2013...

A lot depends on Grigson and Pagano... Grigson shall use his famous nose to sniff new talents for the team, whilst Pagano and fellow coaches shall work out new D- and O-scheme, and we will see how these will work.

2012 season will be a struggle for the team, but 2013 can be far better, after 2 drafts and developed tactics.

I think we can get 6-10/7-9. Of course a lot can change between now and the first game of the season. Here's what I think on a early prediction:

Home:

Titans W (Titans will have either Hassellbeck or possibly Locker at QB for them. If it's Locker it's basically just like a rookie.)

Jags W (Playing at home and the Jags have been a weak team for what seems like forever.)

Texans W (We've never lost to the Texans at home. That's even counting last year when we didn't have Manning.)

Dolphins L (Especially if they land Manning. Could see this as a potential W if they don't get Manning.)

Bills W (This one could be based on when we play them. Bills always start fast then die off late in the season.)

Packers L (No way we beat the Packers. They're just too good.)

Vikings W (Vikings aren't a very good team outside of Peterson. I think we could get this one.)

Browns W (I could see this one going either way. This could be the Luck vs. RG3 game. Since the game is home, I go with the Colts.)

Away:

Titans L (We'll split with the Titans, losing the game on the road.)

Jags W (I think we'll sweep the Jags. I'm just not impressed with Jags.)

Texans L (Same as Titans, we'll split. Plus, we haven't won in Houston in a couple years now.)

Patriots L (Won't beat the Patriots. I think it'll be an interesting game though. Heck, it kind of was last year.)

Jets L (On the road. Against a good defense. I think this game will be a tough one.)

Lions L (On the road. Lions keep improving year, after year.)

Bears L (With Cutler back, Bears definitely have playoff potential.)

Chiefs L (If the Chiefs get Manning, we'll definitely lose. Even if they don't though, I don't see us beating the Chiefs on the road.)

So as you can see I think we'll struggle on the road. The Colts have always played better at home vs on the road. Our homes games are much easier than our road games, if you ask me. I see the Colts finishing 6-10 or 7-9. I don't think that's a ridiculous prediction, either. Of course this is very, very early prediction. I can always change my mind. :)

anything is possible in the NFL these days

Flacco made the playoffs his rookie year

Cam Newton broke Manning's rookie passing record

Andy Dalton and T.J. Yates were rookies last year

why not Luck??

the word you are looking for is team sport.. its not individual performance that count in the end.. else we would have won nearly every SB since 98

As mentioned by many others, there are many factors yet to be seen affecting our win loss predictions. I have mine listed below with some comments:

Texans - 2 losses (they have been on the rise and still have Foster and Johnson AND many others)

Titans - 1-1 (They win at home but our defense begins to shut down the run which shows up in front of the Colts crowd)

Jaguars - 1 - 1 (Same as with the Titans)

Bills - Win at home (This team just doesn't have it.)

Miami - Home loss (We may get to see Peyton again but this will be a home loss either way.)

Minnesota - Home loss (They still have defensive pieces that can be scary.)

Packers - BIG home loss ('nuff said)

Browns - Win at home (See Bills - although RG3 may be for real.)

Patriots - BIG loss away (I just wish ... nah ... won't happen. Too much Tom Brady.)

Jets - Loss away

Bears - Loss away

Lions - BIG loss away (Lions are on their way to being scary with Suh and Megatron.)

Chiefs - Loss away

If I calculate correctly, that's 4 and 12 which will be one game better than Peyton's first season record. I am hopeful for more ... GO COLTS!

anything is possible in the NFL these days Flacco made the playoffs his rookie year Cam Newton broke Manning's rookie passing record Andy Dalton and T.J. Yates were rookies last year why not Luck??

those guys had one thing in common: stellar Running game and a D.

we have none.

i think this is a 4 year project. we cant sign fa this year cause there is no cap space.

We are talking about a completely new D, that will need a completely new set of players. and the offense needs help everywhere.

i Think in 4 years we will be contenders again.

i would guess we will be "bad" as far as our record, but be competative in the games we lose...much like Peyton's rookie year, i expect us to struggle to find wins...finish around 3-13.

The team during Peyton's rookie season had more talent on it than this team. He had Tarik Glenn, Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk etc

But i expect us to end up with the #1 or #2 pick in the draft again, and be able to trade it for several other picks...and Polian says that we will have "oodles" of cash to spend, under the salary cap, next year...so with all of the good draft picks along with "oodles" of money and Luck getting some experience, things could turn around within 2-3 years pretty easily.

In contrast, i expect Peyton's new team to compete for a super bowl for the next couple years...so that should give us all plenty to watch for the next few seasons, between the Colts rebuilding and Peyton finishing his Hall of Fame career.

I just hope that everyone gives the team a chance. It wont be easy for Luck, following the best to ever play the game...people need to remember that Peyton was 3-13 his rookie year, and had over 20 INTs also. I dont expect Luck to ever be as great as Peyton, but i expect him to be very good...people need to give it time, though, and not compare the two.

If we do end up with the #1 pick again, some QB starved team will likely want to trade a lot for Matt Barkely. In that case we may well set our selves up very nice for the future.

anything is possible in the NFL these days

Flacco made the playoffs his rookie year

Cam Newton broke Manning's rookie passing record

Andy Dalton and T.J. Yates were rookies last year

why not Luck??

Flacco and Dalton had better teams surrounding them.

TJ went 3-3 as our starter including the playoffs. Not great considering the teams we played in that stretch.

Cam broke Peyton's mark, but his team went 6-10. Peyton did the same and the team went 3-13.

It's not the same.

I know its early, but since we are expected to go through some growing pains, although I dont think we will be as bad as the talking heads on ESPN, what do you see our record being in 2012 and is there any top studs we could be in position for getting next draft to help out Luck and the team? Btw I predict about a 6-10 or 7-9 year. Not the 3-13 year most ESPN guys think. I dont think we'll be quite as bad as last year. We should actually have good coaching this year, plus an actual QB, and better defense.

I don't understand this kind of thinking. Enjoy the 2012 season! Life's too short to throw away a year. There will surely be entertaining games next season. Entertaining plays.

Im excited for the year after this year. Rookies would be more develop including Luck. We'll be adding new free agents, and next year's class will be deep with potential top 10 players going out the top 10 due to all the QBs probably declaring. You've got Barkley, Bray, Jones all going in the top 10 with the chance that Murray gets in there too. A QB heavy draft next year.

At the moment, we don't have weapons or a line. Let's see what happens in the draft and free agency.

Yeah it is a bit hard to decide what this team is going to do since we are not even past the draft yet.

Offensively I think we are not going to be very good. We will have rookie QB and probably a rookie WR being out there most of the time. Our running game was better, but it is still substandard and our offensive line needs improvement.

Defensively we are converting to a 3-4 and have some massive holes at NT, OLB, ILB, SS, and CB.

I think we have to many holes overall and that 3-13 is a real possibility.