Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Waiver Wire

1959Colts

I looked up the rules for waiver wire.

it seems the waiver claims have to be completed by Sunday at noon.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/1/17805562/nfl-cuts-2018-explaining-how-waiver-wire-works-claiming-order

...On roster cut weekend that 24-hour timeframe is abbreviated as teams must submit a 53-man roster to the NFL by 4:00 p.m. ET on Saturday and then have until 12:00 p.m. ET on Sunday to claim players who were waived the day prior...

• Like 2

I'm a little embarrassed to say i recognize less than 6 names i've seen so far on the cut lists.

and i thought i was a fairly knowledgeable football fan.  I have directv and sunday ticket.  I mean, i watch ALOT of football.  Too much football, really.  But most of these names........ crickets.

after some thought, i think the fact they wear helmets and we associate more with their numbers than names maybe.  

Watching more college football would help too i guess.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Bronocs cut DeAngelo Henderson...good RB..never got a chance

..and Jeff Holland....the Auburn DE who went undrafted...

..We could use both...

I agree. I’m definitely interested in both of them.  Idinegbo de from Mn as well. 

Steven Means DE was released from eagles as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Bronocs cut DeAngelo Henderson...good RB..never got a chance

..and Jeff Holland....the Auburn DE who went undrafted...

..We could use both...

Would love to see us pick up Henderson. I got a chance to see him play a couple years here in Myrtle Beach. Kid has very, very good quickness in the hole and good hands in the flat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Wow!  Looks like an all nighter coming up for Ballard.

Yes, and they (Ballard, Reich, and Kevin Rogers and staff) debating who to get, and who to release with this 53 man roster.  I hope they anticipated the other teams releases well and have already studied tape so CB can make an informed decision rather than just 'go with who we taught in camp' mentality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm a little embarrassed to say i recognize less than 6 names i've seen so far on the cut lists.

and i thought i was a fairly knowledgeable football fan.  I have directv and sunday ticket.  I mean, i watch ALOT of football.  Too much football, really.  But most of these names........ crickets.

after some thought, i think the fact they wear helmets and we associate more with their numbers than names maybe.  

Watching more college football would help too i guess.

Same here.... I’m like “okay, Dan Bailey and uh....uhhhhhhhh...”:dunno:

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Glowinski or Webb

You may be right

Glowinski must be a practice warrior

I didnt expect him to make it

I didnt think Webb played all that bad, for his situation

(I think he is valuable depth)

I wonder whatever happened to Bashaud Breeland???

That poor guy has had a tough year - 3 years, 27 mil contract..... LOST

IF HEALTHY, I think he would start for our team

Give the dude 4 mil one year prove it, AND STOP PLAYING GOLF (Supposedly a golf cart hit him)

its hard for me to believe that he didnt seek antibiotics after the injury......... 

It cost him..... BIG Time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You may be right

Glowinski must be a practice warrior

I didnt expect him to make it

I didnt think Webb played all that bad, for his situation

(I think he is valuable depth)

I wonder whatever happened to Bashaud Breeland???

That poor guy has had a tough year - 3 years, 27 mil contract..... LOST

IF HEALTHY, I think he would start for our team

Give the dude 4 mil one year prove it, AND STOP PLAYING GOLF (Supposedly a golf cart hit him)

its hard for me to believe that he didnt seek antibiotics after the injury......... 

It cost him..... BIG Time

We certainly had interest in Breeland.  Maybe it's still the injury or most likely the money.  Either way we cut Simon and now we have more cap space.  No doubt he would be a major upgrade at the position for us. 

• Like 1

This is an interesting point from PFT, I hadn't thought about.

Many of the players cut may find work in the new league, not the NFL

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/plenty-of-quarterbacks-are-available/

...For those who don’t get a chance to land with an NFL team, the phone may be ringing very soon, given the presence of the Alliance of American Football. Which will give them both a chance to get paid and a chance to play, giving them the kind of reps they need to fully develop...

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

This is an interesting point from PFT, I hadn't thought about.

Many of the players cut may find work in the new league, not the NFL

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/plenty-of-quarterbacks-are-available/

I have mentioned this more than a few times.  I even wonder if some players will have trouble deciding between a practice squad spot or applying for the AAF

One point to make: I think anyone we want to put on the IR and possibly bring back later has to make the initial roster.  I’m thinking Lewis, Good, and possibly Walker.  Once they go on IR, some of these guys like Fountain or Simon could be right back on the roster.  

Second: I have a question about waiver wire mechanics.  Do you have to take anyone you’re awarded?  I ask, ‘cause if we really want a RB off of waivers and have three we like, are we risking being awarded three of them if we put all three names in?  Or does the team get a call saying you’re awarded these seven players based on who you put claims on, and they have a chance to say, “We’ll take these two?”

29 minutes ago, Archer said:

Second: I have a question about waiver wire mechanics.  Do you have to take anyone you’re awarded?  I ask, ‘cause if we really want a RB off of waivers and have three we like, are we risking being awarded three of them if we put all three names in?  

Yes, but depends.  If you put in claims, the NFL rolls through the tams claims in same order as the draft earlier this year.  Say at our pick 3 spot your first RB is there.  We get him, even if any team below us also claimed him. Now they roll through to claim round 2.  Say RB #2 was taken by Browns (who has first shot at all players through week 3) but RB #3 is there.  You also get him.  Now you have to waive/release two players on the roster to make room.  So you have to be careful and sure when putting in a claim(s).  If they aren't taken, they're yours. Care is needed placing claims, the idea is to improve the team by adding more talented players and releasing less talented players.

IOW, if Browns and Giants did not submit a claim on players we claim, we get them.  These two team have priority, but nobody else.

Or does the team get a call saying you’re awarded these seven players based on who you put claims on, and they have a chance to say, “We’ll take these two?”

No.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This will be interesting

The question is...... if you want a player from the cut list, who gets CUT, from our current roster?

Is it Pascal?, Is it Delair?

One comes in...... ones gotta go

Tough choices

Lewis likely goes in IR with the designation to return as the first move.