Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DL Tyquan Lewis set to miss time [Merge]

MTC

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Blaming Ballard about not forecasting injuries is like screaming at your local tv weather guy "Hey you make it stop raining ". NOTE THIS >>>>I just went on NFL Website transaction page about players (sadly ) waived due to injury for entire NFL month of August 2018 236 players (just waived players ) made the list. http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=7&transactionYear=2018&transactionTeamAbbr=…… NOTE THIS >>>>>Went on Spotrac NFL IR list …. shows 102 players presently on IR in NFL https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/ PLAYERS GET HURT ALL OVER THIS LEAGUE YEAR IN YEAR OUT. But I guess I better tell my weatherman to make it stop raining...…..GO BALLARD...… GO 2018 COLTS !!!!! 

True, players get injured all the time in the NFL. Which is why you would think you wouldn't limit the Drafted rookies as your only source to acquire/add talent to your roster.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

To you not to everyone definitely not to Tigertown 

?   What a strange response. 

The applicability of my opinion only to me is obviously implied when I said the bolded below.  

He posted what I copied in Italics.  I thought it was factual and very reasonable.  I think 1959 Colt basically said the same thing, except he said "doesn't get on the field" and Geek said "whiff".  The substance of the problem is the same to me.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

?   What a strange response. 

The applicability of my opinion only to me is obviously implied when I said the bolded below.  

He posted what I copied in Italics.  I thought it was factual and very reasonable.  I think 1959 Colt basically said the same thing, except he said "doesn't get on the field" and Geek said "whiff".  The substance of the problem is the same to me.  

And as I said Factual to you often means Opinion to everyone else 

3 hours ago, J@son said:

Yeah that statement started it and wasn't all that bad, but his subsequent posts were much more targeted towards Ballard's drafting ability.

But that cuts both ways, doesn't it?

So let me ask you this:  Which is a more extreme position?

Calling the 15th player taken in the first round a "steal" from the moment he was drafted until he played his first preseason game.

Or calling Wilson a "bust" for not seeing the field much in the regular season on a team with average CBs. (for which he got heavily criticized for in another thread)

• Like 1

Calling the 15th player taken in the first round a "steal" from the moment he was drafted until he played his first preseason game.

Or calling Wilson a "bust" for not seeing the field much in the regular season on a team with average CBs. (for which he got heavily criticized for in another thread)

Both are extremes

• Like 2

They are both pointless unless you are part of the brass

Kind of like hitting you head on a brick wall multiple times

They will both give you major headaches

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Here is a fact for you and pacergeek.  Neither of you have any clue whether Lewis is a "whiff" or not, he has not even played a game yet in the NFL.  Why don't the two of you try withholding judgement until these rookies have played a couple of years.

I didn't call him a whiff, nor am I passing judgment. 

I'm saying that the guy we traded up for to play the position we also signed as a FA is going to probably not see the field this year.

Maybe we could've trade up a bit higher for WR Christian Kirk?

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Your comment on Thornton is unnecessary.  Even if factual, which highly suspect you have no clue on its validity, it's something that does not need to be repeated.  

I have no clue as to its validity.  I said it was a rumor. 

But it also explains an inability to perform work as expected although not technically injured.  

A lack of availability that is out of a GMs control, that some might consider a bust.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't call him a whiff, nor am I passing judgment. 

I'm saying that the guy we traded up for to play the position we also signed as a FA is going to probably not see the field this year.

Maybe we could've trade up a bit higher for WR Christian Kirk?

You do realize that to be a successful DL you need multiple guys

But it also explains an inability to perform work as expected although not technically injured.  

A lack of availability that is out of a GMs control, but some might consider a bust.

I don’t know about Dewland but TigerTown does not air dirty laundry

I'll continue to wait it out and see how Ballard's draft picks pan out.  But thus far I haven't been too impressed.  When you rely almost exclusively on the draft to build you better hit more than miss and frankly deserve to be scrutinized more on missed picks.  That said...this is year 2 for Ballard and the regular season has yet to start so I will continue to wait to see how some of these guys develop.   

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

I'll continue to wait it out and see how Ballard's draft picks pan out.  But thus far I haven't been too impressed.  When you rely almost exclusively on the draft to build you better hit more than miss and frankly deserve to be scrutinized more on missed picks.  That said...this is year 2 for Ballard and the regular season has yet to start so I will continue to wait to see how some of these guys develop.   

Often the problem with FA is the price some want and/or the players available    

GMs can often get good value for the picks and/or Draft day Trades

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has successfully sold his vision to the fans, that the best way to build a future winner is through the draft. When you are going in this direction, not even trying to fill holes with FA, you cannot draft busts or injury prone players in the early rounds. 

:funny::headspin::banana::spit:               _____ clown.

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Often the problem with FA is the price some want and/or the players available    

GMs can often get good value for the picks and/or Draft day Trades

Understood but I don't think anyone is asking for a return to the Grigson days of free agent free spending on over the hill retreads.  There is a balance that can be struck.  I think Ballard eventually will strike that balance but in his view the Colts are not yet at that point. He is still building the foundation and he wants to do that primarily through the draft.   All I'm saying is that it is imperative that Ballard hits more than misses on his picks when adopting that approach.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Understood but I don't think anyone is asking for a return to the Grigson days of free agent free spending on over the hill retreads.  There is a balance that can be struck.  I think Ballard eventually will strike that balance but in his view the Colts are not yet at that point. He is still building the foundation and he wants to do that primarily through the draft.   All I'm saying is that it is imperative that Ballard hits more than misses on his picks when adopting that approach.

Agreed

Theo and the Cubs didn’t add Marquis FA pieces until the young guns were ready

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I don’t know about Dewland but TigerTown does not air dirty laundry

Yeah, I live for it. You got any? 

The rumor came from a nationally accredited media source, like Gannett.  Its what they do, BTW.

Just let me say, I think its extremely shallow and short sited to call any player a whiff after his first preseason, or any GMs draft a whiff after 2 years.  Its extreme, inappropriate, totally misses the mark.  Whiff is a word that fails to acknowledge the reality of the NFL, what it takes to bring any particular football player to the team, whether it be via draft or free agency, especially when viewed over an extremely short period of time.

But it's a word that could be used to appropriately describe a GMs first HC selection. 

But who's counting.

This is pretty good reading material.

As far as Lewis goes, I'm looking at this injury as a good thing.

1. Lewis can now set back, heal, study, watch live action and mentally be prepared when it's time to return. 

2. The injury isn't a week to week thing, so we don't have to use a roster spot for him now. Hoping he will be back by, say, week 3 or something. We can throw him on the IR and if he can come back later, great. Now we can use his roster spot on someone else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thought the same thing.

He was blocked into the QB on his RtP penalty as well.

These calls by the REFS are very concerning and is taking the fun out of watching the Defense play. I now almost expect a penalty on every 3rd and long play with these new rules. It's just not us, the Vikings/Jags game was very tough to watch a couple weeks ago because of the cheap calls on the D. 

10 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard has successfully sold his vision to the fans, that the best way to build a future winner is through the draft. When you are going in this direction, not even trying to fill holes with FA, you cannot draft busts or injury prone players in the early rounds. 

12 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Was Lewis injury prone in college? This is disappointing. If you are going to put all of your eggs into the draft basket, you cannot continue whiffing on high draft picks

So far,  Ballard has only “whiffed” on one player....   Banner.    That’s it.

And Lewis was not injury prone in college.   He played four years at Ohio State and most of that was as a starter.

I appreciate that a number of players have not performed to expectations .  But while it’s frustrating, it’s also way too soon to know what these kids are going to be.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

A lack of availability that is out of a GMs control, that some might consider a bust.

Dear God...

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Tom Matte-Colt Legend OSU alum

Cris Carter- HOF OSU alum

:thmup:

that game could be played with multiple schools

Aww, I was just kidding around. I mean it's true, of course, that Jeffrey Dahmer and former Colts felon Art Schlichter went there, too, but I don't necessarily consider them entirely representative of all Buckeyes.  

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

Aww, I was just kidding around. I mean it's true, of course, that Jeffrey Dahmer and former Colts felon Art Schlichter went there, too, but I don't necessarily consider them entirely representative of all Buckeyes.  

I know you were

I was also thinking Alabama

Joe Namath

Trent Richardson

17 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

Yes?  I'm listening...

Edit:  at the risk of being called a shallow rumor monger, the rumor was actually part of a story that was published in a Gannett affiliated paper, IIRC.  No. I didn't dream it.

I call it a rumor because it was a story published in a media publication.  These days, those words are synonymous.

It basically said that Thornton came from a troubled background, and life's realities would cause "personal demons" to surface enough to interfere with his approach to the game.  It was the reason given for why he couldn't quite ever get over the hump to be a consistent player despite the physical tools.

I'm not the type to wait until things are spoon fed to me before I form an opinion, so it seems to be a very HIPAA compliant way of saying that his personal life got in the way of being what he could, and the constant reference to injury, an elbow here, a rib there, directed attention to his personal life impacting his ability to get his body to where it needs to be.  Something that just plain laziness wouldn't explain. 

18 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I see you’re a member of the “what have you done for me lately” league. You should seriously consider holding your tongue until the end of season 2. Not start flapping your gums before season 2 has even started. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes?  I'm listening...

Edit:  at the risk of being called a shallow rumor monger, the rumor was actually part of a story that was published in a Gannett affiliated paper, IIRC.  No. I didn't dream it.

I call it a rumor because it was a story published in a media publication.  These days, those words are synonymous.

It basically said that Thornton came from a troubled background, and life's realities would cause "personal demons" to surface enough to interfere with his approach to the game.  It was the reason given for why he couldn't quite ever get over the hump to be a consistent player despite the physical tools.

I'm not the type to wait until things are spoon fed to me before I form an opinion, so it seems to be a very HIPAA compliant way of saying that his personal life got in the way of being what he could, and the constant reference to injury, an elbow here, a rib there, directed attention to his personal life impacting his ability to get his body to where it needs to be.  Something that just plain laziness wouldn't explain. 

“Troubled” is an understatement and unfairly infers it was his behaviour. Finding your relatives murdered at 12 would affect most people:

https://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2008/10/living_through_the_pain_oberli.html

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So far,  Ballard has only “whiffed” on one player....   Banner.    That’s it.

And Lewis was not injury prone in college.   He played four years at Ohio State and most of that was as a starter.

I appreciate that a number of players have not performed to expectations .  But while it’s frustrating, it’s also way too soon to know what these kids are going to be.

I find Banner an odd one,4th rounder who was cut but has since bounced around the league. There is obviously upside there but no one can seem to translate it into something tangible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

“Troubled” is an understatement and unfairly infers it was his behaviour. Finding your relatives murdered at 12 would affect most people:

https://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2008/10/living_through_the_pain_oberli.html

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of reasons.  I'll just say its something a GM wouldn't necessarily know.  But it was given as a reason why he couldn't get his mind to where he could make the devotion to the game.  Maybe it was just PC talk giving people like that an excuse when they fail.  I took it at its word.

In the context of this thread, the idea of "what a GM can control" was used as a reason to not put Lewis into the "draft failure" bucket at this time.  There have been many players who have not made the team because of reasons the GM can't control.  Like video game addiction, Djoun Smith's "immaturity" (whatever that is), Anthony Gonzalez being a "slow healer", Tony Ugoh apparently having no heart, whatever is behind Thornton, and Holmes constantly being in the rehab room, etc. 

Whatever the reason, all were put into that bucket of being a poor GM decision simply because they couldn't play.  No excuses were made. 

Just off the top, I'll put current players into the failure bucket, knowing full well they may pull themselves out of it later:

Geathers, Hooker, Wilson, Clark, Lewis, Hines, Good.  None have displayed reliability thus far. Some were drafted high, some low, some by RG, some by CB.  It doesn't matter.  Or does it?

And FA signings too, who fail for whatever reason, like Herreman and Howard, just to name two.  Remember the language?  Herreman was an oft injured putz who RG put way too much reliance in fixing the Oline (eventhough he signed him to a paltry $1,000,000 nonguaranteed contract).  As opposed to Howard, who was a great signing who may fix the RT situation this year and has a larger contract with a portion guaranteed.  They both look like the same player to me at this point.