Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard

TKnight24

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

This guy doesn't appear to be a player to give it all for his team.

A 2nd rounder holding out like a top 10 pick reeks of a 'me' first

mentality. 

He's not holding out. A hold out misses team activities due to a contract dispute. He just hasn't signed yet. 

Second, this is his livelihood. His contract will dictate the terms of his livelihood for the next four years. He and his people should make sure they find the terms of that contract acceptable before they agree to it. It has nothing to do with his commitment to his team, it's about protecting his earning power.

And bigger picture, I have no problem with teams cutting players when they aren't performing well enough to justify their pay. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a player who is not contractually obligated to a team -- and since Leonard hasn't signed yet, he's not obligated to the Colts -- doing whatever he can to secure the most beneficial terms he can.

At this point, it doesn't even matter until Sunday, at the earliest. And there's still no indication that the deal won't be done by then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

This guy doesn't appear to be a player to give it all for his team.

A 2nd rounder holding out like a top 10 pick reeks of a 'me' first

mentality. 

most likely he'll sign on the day the colts rookies report to camp. He's obviously not in indy to sign his contract.  

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's not holding out. A hold out misses team activities due to a contract dispute. He just hasn't signed yet. 

Second, this is his livelihood. His contract will dictate the terms of his livelihood for the next four years. He and his people should make sure they find the terms of that contract acceptable before they agree to it. It has nothing to do with his commitment to his team, it's about protecting his earning power.

And bigger picture, I have no problem with teams cutting players when they aren't performing well enough to justify their pay. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a player who is not contractually obligated to a team -- and since Leonard hasn't signed yet, he's not obligated to the Colts -- doing whatever he can to secure the most beneficial terms he can.

At this point, it doesn't even matter until Sunday, at the earliest. And there's still no indication that the deal won't be done by then. 

It might not even be him waiting to sign. For all we know it could be the Colts holding out until he recovered from his hamstring injury that he suffered in the pre-draft process. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

It might not even be him waiting to sign. For all we know it could be the Colts holding out until he recovered from his hamstring injury that he suffered in the pre-draft process. 

Respectfully,  no. 

I’m sorry, but no.

This is not a situation where the Colts are holding out to see if his hamstring is ok.    I’m not even sure they can examine him until he’s in camp.

The two sides are still negotiating.   Leonard’s health is not the issue.   Remember, rookies can play in the spring without worry that they might blow up a knee because their rookie deal is set.   The signing bonus guaranteed.

The issue is the contract, not Leonard’s health.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

A hamstring is minor compared to other football injuries. This

probably isn't the issue.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully,  no. 

I’m sorry, but no.

This is not a situation where the Colts are holding out to see if his hamstring is ok.    I’m not even sure they can examine him until he’s in camp.

The two sides are still negotiating.   Leonard’s health is not the issue.   Remember, rookies can play in the spring without worry that they might blow up a knee because their rookie deal is set.   The signing bonus guaranteed.

The issue is the contract, not Leonard’s health.

I don't even know what part of the contract they are allowed to negotiate right now. AFAIK it's not a lot and most of it is minutiae...  

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't even know what part of the contract they are allowed to negotiate right now. AFAIK it's not a lot and most of it is minutiae...  

Huh?

They can negotiate whatever is permissable.   But both sides understand that.

By the way, I don’t think I’ve seen it posted here, but over on another website there’s a tweet from Stephen Holder saying sources inside the Colts believe the Leonatd deal WILL get done by Sunday. 

So there’s optimism for all of us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I've posted a couple times, in different threads.  There are still a few (4 or so...) minor issues on the table to squabble over. In this case, I feel it is either the amount and timing of bonus money being paid, and/or offset language.  The sides will come to an agreement. It's not a holdout, it is a finalization.

• Like 3

It’s likely the offset money. Hard to see the Colts giving in on this since the precedent would be set for future draft picks. Hopefully they can figure out a way to get more up front bonus $ to Leonard and his team.