Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Pre-Draft Presser 4/20/18

TKnight24

I was impressed by Ballard. He seems to be very analytical when making decisions.

Specifically, I liked how he is going over every scenario with his subordinates, so no matter what decision has to be made, it’s something they have discussed.

I’m excited about this draft !

GO COLTS !!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Reuter has us trading back to #11 to pick Roquan Smith along with Courtland Sutton at #31

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927617/article/chad-reuter-2018-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

I stopped once I seen Safety

I'm not sure people at NFL Network really understand or even try to do their jobs semi-correctly 

Bucky Brooks did a mock draft and he had the wrong picks on the board. Think he had us drafting at 47 & 49. Like what?

Now this with us drafting a safety which is probably one of our better spots on the roster 

I’ll be glad when Thursday comes cause a lot of these mock drafts lately just ain’t it

Offical network of the NFL and it’s the worst group of people doing the job. Unheard of

:scorebad: 

:rantoff:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

I'm not sure people at NFL Network really understand or even try to do their jobs semi-correctly 

Bucky Brooks did a mock draft and he had the wrong picks on the board. Think he had us drafting at 47 & 49. Like what?

Now this with us drafting a safety which is probably one of our better spots on the roster 

I’ll be glad when Thursday comes cause a lot of these mock drafts lately just ain’t it

Offical network of the NFL and it’s the worst group of people doing the job. Unheard of

Hooker has a reconstructed knee and Geathers has a fused neck.  I never got the love for Geathers anyway, so in my mind he's upgradeable. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Right.  Many here have it all wrong.  Through various actions and statements over the past few months, its pretty clear Ballard does NOT think Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson are far superior players over other top 10 or so choices. It may be smoke, but he does not appear to be so lustfully fond over those three as this board is.

How can the posters here be wrong on something(draft) that hasn't happened yet?:thinking:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

I don’t know why, but I’m not crazy about Bucky Brooks. He just seems a little arrogant to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Wow, TK....    I don't know if you're having a bad day or what?

First, safety is one of our better spots, and now the NFL Network has the worst group of people?   WTH?

Seriously?   

Did you fall and hurt yourself?

Hooker has a knee.   Geathers is coming off major neck surgery and might never play another down for the Colts.  He's a question mark.

Butler has had yet to be re-signed.   Maybe he will and maybe he won't?

People here think TJ Green is the worst football player to walk the face of the earth.    He's not, but many think he's a Crime Against Humanity.

And...   Matthias Farley is a former undrafted free agent who did a decent job last year but is not exactly great yet...

Oh, we have some guy named Ronald Martin and I have no idea who he is.

So where is this great group of safeties you speak of?

As for the Network...   you focus on one team --- the Colts.   They have to focus on all 32 teams.   There are going to be mistakes made.   The idea that the network is terrible because you don't like a few people...   is ridiculous...

Hope you feel better soon..  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hooker has a reconstructed knee and Geathers has a fused neck.  I never got the love for Geathers anyway, so in my mind he's upgradeable. 

Geathers is another Bob Sanders. That tone setter for the defense. 

I think thats why a lot of these mock drafts have Derwin James going to Indianapolis as well. They feel we need a tone setter 

I won’t be surprised if we take a safety, but watching these “analysts” make it seem like safety is our biggest need behind offensive line is really getting annoying

Getting a Van Smith, Damon Webb, Armani Watts or Tre Flowers late in the draft is fine for depth or injury insurance for Geathers/Hooker. But hopefully more attention is put on the trenches and LB group 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow, TK....    I don't know if you're having a bad day or what?

First, safety is one of our better spots, and now the NFL Network has the worst group of people?   WTH?

Seriously?   

Did you fall and hurt yourself?

Hooker has a knee.   Geathers is coming off major neck surgery and might never play another down for the Colts.  He's a question mark.

Butler has had yet to be re-signed.   Maybe he will and maybe he won't?

People here think TJ Green is the worst football player to walk the face of the earth.    He's not, but many think he's a Crime Against Humanity.

And...   Matthias Farley is a former undrafted free agent who did a decent job last year but is not exactly great yet...

Oh, we have some guy named Ronald Martin and I have no idea who he is.

So where is this great group of safeties you speak of?

As for the Network...   you focus on one team --- the Colts.   They have to focus on all 32 teams.   There are going to be mistakes made.   The idea that the network is terrible because you don't like a few people...   is ridiculous...

Hope you feel better soon..  

Why do I have to harm myself for an opinion to be formed? I personally believe they’re the worst group out of FS1, ESPN, & NFL Network. That’s my opinion. Not formed just cause of their hate or the fact they’re not knowledgeable about the Colts, but the simple fact a lot of them seem to just have no clue what they’re doing 

And Geathers played last season, looked good. And I never said the Colts safety group was great, I said it’s one of the better groups on the roster which is true although it’s not saying much but it’s still true 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

I feel like Harold Landry could be our next Dwight freeney.

I like Harold more than Chubb if Harold is healthy

Both played the same competition and Harold put up 16.5 sacks before his injury. If you can guarantee me that version of Harold, I’m taking him over Chubb. Trade back to 11 or 12 and take that man 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I like Harold more than Chubb if Harold is healthy

Both played the same competition and Harold put up 16.5 sacks before his injury. If you can guarantee me that version of Harold, I’m taking him over Chubb. Trade back to 11 or 12 and take that man 

Landry would fit great in this defense with Mathis coaching him. He has the best burst off the line and bend in this draft. He could be Yannick Ngakoue 2.0 IMO.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Landry would fit great in this defense with Mathis coaching him. He has the best burst off the line and bend in this draft. He could be Yannick Ngakoue 2.0 IMO.

Yeah, I’m all for Harold if we get him. Long as he is healthy 

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Why do I have to harm myself for an opinion to be formed? I personally believe they’re the worst group out of FS1, ESPN, & NFL Network. That’s my opinion. Not formed just cause of their hate or the fact they’re not knowledgeable about the Colts, but the simple fact a lot of them seem to just have no clue what they’re doing 

And Geathers played last season, looked good. And I never said the Colts safety group was great, I said it’s one of the better groups on the roster which is true although it’s not saying much but it’s still true 

You got my joke about hurting yourself BACKWARDS.

My joke was I thought you must be in great pain for you to come up with such ridiculous nonsense.

And that's what your post was.   Hey, go run and hide behind the "it's my opinion" card...   But that was such a silly post I was embarrassed to read it.   

I didn't know it was was your post  when I started reading it and then scrolled back up to find out who wrote it.   I was hoping it came from someone else.   Was hugely disappointed to find out it was yours.

Now I explain to you why it was wrong and you still defend it....    ok, whatever you say....    (sigh...)

7 hours ago, Str8himalaya said:

Interesting, I have been under the impression that Simon would fit at the Sam LB spot. This means we need EVEN MORE help at LB than before, which was already our biggest spot of weakness for this scheme. Makes me think we will certainly look to drop down again and draft either Smith or Edmunds.

It's good this years draft is deep in the LB p o s I tion and the offensive line too.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You got my joke about hurting yourself BACKWARDS.

My joke was I thought you must be in great pain for you to come up with such ridiculous nonsense.

And that's what your post was.   Hey, go run and hide behind the "it's my opinion" card...   But that was such a silly post I was embarrassed to read it.   

I didn't know it was was your post  when I started reading it and then scrolled back up to find out who wrote it.   I was hoping it came from someone else.   Was hugely disappointed to find out it was yours.

Now I explain to you why it was wrong and you still defend it....    ok, whatever you say....    (sigh...)

Again, it is my opinion as is it being ridiculous is your opinion. I don’t see how that’s hiding when my opinion was typed out for the forum to see and I explained why I felt that way

And according to my notifications, the post got a like sooo maybe just maybe someone agreed with me

But hey, to each their own :dunno: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think Ballard has already worked out pre draft deals with Miami and Buffalo and maybe even another team.  He is just waiting to see if they want the pick.  

:agree: 

I think a lot of GM’s do this. And then on draft night if the scenario does play out, increase the ransom due to the heat of the moment 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

:agree: 

I think a lot of GM’s do this. And then on draft night if the scenario does play out, increase the ransom due to the heat of the moment 

Sounds like something right out of Draft Day.  What did Kevin Costner say when he wanted  to close the deal, “we live in a different world than we did thirty seconds ago”.

Then he drafted the Black Panther, so everything worked out.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

What do you think about the Davenport kid if he was to be drafted to Indianapolis 

I actually would pick Landry as my first choice.  I think he could play right away.  Davenport seems a little more developmental to me.  He hasn't faced the same top level competition as Landry.  JMO. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're defending the indefensible to disagree with someones' opinion...  :scratch:

The NFL can afford to get it right.  The NFL can afford to triple-check, no quadruple-check to make sure it gets it right.  They can afford no mistakes.

They can afford legitimate bonafide broadcasters to be the face of the NFL Network.  But they hire cheap hacks that just want to goof around on set and former players that harass their stylist to be the face of their network.  :facepalm:

NFL Network has become ridiculous.  The only thing worth watching anymore is the Top 10 shows.  But that's just my opinion.  :thmup:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I don’t know why, but I’m not crazy about Bucky Brooks. He just seems a little arrogant to me.

33 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You're defending the indefensible to disagree with someones' opinion...  :scratch:

The NFL can afford to get it right.  The NFL can afford to triple-check, no quadruple-check to make sure it gets it right.  They can afford no mistakes.

They can afford legitimate bonafide broadcasters to be the face of the NFL Network.  But they hire cheap hacks that just want to goof around on set and former players that harass their stylist to be the face of their network.  :facepalm:

NFL Network has become ridiculous.  The only thing worth watching anymore is the Top 10 shows.  But that's just my opinion.  :thmup:

Here’s the Bucky Mock Draft. Has the Colts picking at 6, 36, 47, & 49. Now he didn’t mention a trade back or anything so this is just a blatant blunder 

This is something that could’ve easily been avoided. 

Again, I don’t understand how the official network of the league is so clueless about things. And it’s not even so much about things, it’s when they’re talking about teams other than New England or another popular team 

32 teams in the NFL, they talk about the same 5 then show their lack of knowledge when they do try to talk about other teams & it’s just so frustrating watching cause it’s a trickle down effect. Casual fans get their knowledge from these people, and this is why so many misinformed people are on Twitter and other places not having a clue what they’re talking about cause they get their info from these clowns 

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love Vea....

But he's enormous and the Colts are trying to build a defense built in speed.

i don't think he fits what we want to do....

He is said to have great quickness. Ran a 5.1 forty . I think he probably fits with any defense but I agree that he is not likely to be our pick. Just saying that it's very possible that Ballard has him ranked as one of the 8 (non QB) impact players.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, stitches said:

Yep, defined it as players that are difference makers, players that the opponent is game-planning for on Mondays and Tuesdays... 

I love Ballard. He seems like a guy who knows what he's doing... 

I know that statement from him wasn't meant to be taken as a knock against any prospect, but the wording of that quote makes me feel that Quenton Nelson isn't in the cards at 6. A guard isn't necessarily a game changer and no one game plans for opposing guards. You do game plan against DBs, D-lineman, LB's, RB's, and WRs though. Personally, I think everything he said makes it a very high possibility that the 6th pick is a LB if it's not Chubb or Barkley.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

He is said to have great quickness. Ran a 5.1 forty . I think he probably fits with any defense but I agree that he is not likely to be our pick. Just saying that it's very possible that Ballard has him ranked as one of the 8 (non QB) impact players.

You may be right.....

For what it's worth I have Vea as the 9th best non-top 4 QB.

Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Smith, Edmunds, Ward, James, and Fitzsimmons...  and the next player after that is Vea.   And, for what it's worth,  the player after that is Davenport.

I think this also confirms my belief that we don't want to trade below Miami at 11 or Buffalo at 12.   Which would likely rule out Arizona at 15.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right.....

For what it's worth I have Vea as the 9th best non-top 4 QB.

Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Smith, Edmunds, Ward, James, and Fitzsimmons...  and the next player after that is Vea.   And, for what it's worth,  the player after that is Davenport.

I think this also confirms my belief that we don't want to trade below Miami at 11 or Buffalo at 12.   Which would likely rule out Arizona at 15.

I tend to think the draft will unfolding a manner that Ballard makes the pick at 6. I think Rosen has fell a bit and unless Mayfield is a top 5-6 pick , it's likely that pick 6 will be too high for the remaining QB's. If I'm wrong about Rosen and or Denver stays at 5 and selects a non QB , then maybe pick 6 could be "overpaid for." Does that make sense or not ? 

As to the players you have , I like Davenport better than Ward. The others are studs.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:59 PM, TheMose said:

Kinda hard to tell sarcasm through text so that's my bad. Lol. Wasn't trying to be negative just didn't pick up on the joke. 

No worries! Let’s just stay positive and the Colts will flourish under Ballard!

On 4/20/2018 at 1:53 PM, krunk said:

I think he's going to find a way to get some extra picks out of this.  Just feels that way.  That trade back is probably going to happen. Just hoping we don't miss out on Edmunds, Smith, Chubb, or Nelson if still on the board.

I agree assuming Cleveland keeps 4 and Denver stays at 5 but doesn't draft a QB. The Colts could be in a great position to trade back again.

I'd put Minkah Fitzpatrick in that group as someone I wouldn't want to miss out on. At the end of the day i'd be thrilled with any of the 4 you listed or Fitzpatrick.

10 hours ago, ar7 said:

I agree assuming Cleveland keeps 4 and Denver stays at 5 but doesn't draft a QB. The Colts could be in a great position to trade back again.

I'd put Minkah Fitzpatrick in that group as someone I wouldn't want to miss out on. At the end of the day i'd be thrilled with any of the 4 you listed or Fitzpatrick.

Loved Minkah at Alabama...... now scared of Minkah heading into the NFL due to the history of Alabama secondary players being busts when they enter the league 

Only 2 I can say worked out in recent years are Landon & HaHa 

I’d pass on Minkah if I was CB. I'd take Denzel & Josh Jackson before Minkah assuming he’d play corner for us. If he’d play safety I’d take Derwin