Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pm's Projected Retirement Age?

UndecidedFrog

Assuming Peyton Manning returns to play NFL football as a QB, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

How many more years do you think he can play, before his performance decline will dictate that he must retire?

I have heard one fan estimate that claims PM can play "well into his 60s". I don't believe that. What do you think?

Assuming Peyton Manning returns to play NFL football as a QB, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

How many more years do you think he can play, before his performance decline will dictate that he must retire?

I have heard one fan estimate that claims PM can play "well into his 60s". I don't believe that. What do you think?

Actually I believe the post you're referring to; The poster indicated that he (Manning) could "throw" well into his 60's. I may be wrong though.

I'm saying 38-39 tops.

I'd say he could play beyond his current contract. His game has so much more to do with the cerebral part than the physical part. I think as long as he maintains a qualtiy lifting and throwing routine, he should be able to play 6 more years. This year off might have helped add a couple more years.

Brett Favre played pretty well in that one playoff game against the Saints, and I believe he was 40 then, so I'd say for QB's, 39 is when the physical decline begins and 40-41 is when you take a dramatic nose-dive. Most of the time, players retire from mental exhaustion, lack of motivation, family/parenting, etc. What made Brett Favre so unique is he loved football and had a ton of fun doing it more than any player in the league. He basically breathed football. So for Favre, it was one of those rare cases where he physically couldn't do it anymore. I think Manning is the same way, but Manning takes a more serious approach to the game, so we'll see how that plays out.

I'd say he could play beyond his current contract. His game has so much more to do with the cerebral part than the physical part. I think as long as he maintains a qualtiy lifting and throwing routine, he should be able to play 6 more years. This year off might have helped add a couple more years.

I to agree with about six more years, withthe defense is nowa days and Peytons style of play, if he want to I think mid forties but I think he's smart enough to realize when the time is.

And it's obvious he doesn't think it's time now, or any time soon cause why else would he put up with all this media garbage.

I to agree with about six more years, withthe defense is nowa days and Peytons style of play, if he want to I think mid forties but I think he's smart enough to realize when the time is.

And it's obvious he doesn't think it's time now, or any time soon cause why else would he put up with all this media garbage.

Thanks for the good laugh. Mid-forties, hahahahaha! Now that is some funny stuff.

I think people are getting confused with how long he should play, could play, or they want him to play.

IMO

He should play as long as he's still at a very good to elite QB level, which I doubt would be any older than 38-40

He could play until no team wants to pay him any more and they've milked every last penny from his legacy or if he's just a few yards or tds away from some all-time records, which could put him into age 41-42

I want him to play as long as he's still at the very good to elite QB level. There isn't anything much sadder than a past his prime player trying desperately to conjure up some last bit of greatness. I think it tends to diminish a player's legacy.

Of course everything depends on the future health of his neck, if any other surgeries are required (possible bone spurs, etc) and if the extra strain on the vertebrae around the fusion will cause any issues.

There isn't anything much sadder than a past his prime player trying desperately to conjure up some last bit of greatness. I think it tends to diminish a player's legacy.

I've never bought into this school of thought. I have never found it sad when a former great seems to be fizzling out. I think it's admirable to watch the old men fight to their last breath and die with their boots on. Typically when you see this (Montana, Favre, Marino etc) their efforts are mocked as "sad" in compare to their glory days, yet they play better than 90% of the young QB's in the league anyway.

I think it would be neat to watch Manning play until he was 42, even if on another team, even if he isn't killing it with 4k+ yard seasons and MVP awards.

I think that he can play in to his "early 40s" due to the extent to which his game is cerebral. He doesn't need to be able to throw the ball 60 yards on a line to be effective, nor does he need to be all that mobile in the pocket. He could lose mobility and still be more elusive that Kurt Warner in is prime. He just needs his brain, a good oline, accuracy, and a decent release. (And even his famed quick release likely has a lot more to do with his brain and his mechanics than with physical ability). We may not see 2004 again statistically, but the man could be winning football games for a LONG time. I just hope it's with the Colts.

Hey, where did all the "Peyton is DONE" posters go this morning.

I think that he can play in to his "early 40s" due to the extent to which his game is cerebral. He doesn't need to be able to throw the ball 60 yards on a line to be effective, nor does he need to be all that mobile in the pocket. He could lose mobility and still be more elusive that Kurt Warner in is prime. He just needs his brain, a good oline, accuracy, and a decent release. (And even his famed quick release likely has a lot more to do with his brain and his mechanics than with physical ability). We may not see 2004 again statistically, but the man could be winning football games for a LONG time. I just hope it's with the Colts.

Hey, where did all the "Peyton is DONE" posters go this morning.

They'll be back by Thursday if the worst case scenario comes to pass.

Well it depends.. if he injures his neck next season he probably retires. But if he is healthy, I'd give or take 4-5 more years.

honestly, i think he could still be one of the top QBs in the game until 40yrs old...so 4-5 more years of elite play. (5 seasons to retire at 40)

I believe that this year off will actually HELP him, in the sense that it gave his body time to heal up all of the little nagging injuries etc and it means that he will have gone almost 21 months without taking any hits from a defense. For the duration of his career, he has taken FAR less abuse than Favre did...and the main reason for the decline in Brett's play was the fact that he had no WRs and no O-Line...Rice missed that last year with the Vikings and Harvin missed multiple games due to his headaches.

I think Peyton could be "above average" until probably 42 if he wanted to play that long...but he has said before that he always kinda figured that he would play until he was 40...and his "current" contract would have him play until he is 40, which would be 5 more seasons. With that said, i dont think he will play under his current contract...but unlike many, i do still think that its a better than 50% chance he returns to play for the Colts.

He has a unique love for football.

I think this year away from it will show him what retirement would be like to an extent.

If he's healthy, I could see him playing out the length of his contract, and then signing another short term 2-3 year deal, and possibly retiring before that is complete or once it's finished.

I don't see him walking away after a year or two, which is one reason I think he would find Irsay's victory lap comments of playing one final year insulting.

I'd say in the very least 3 years, and at most 6. Putting him in the 39-42 range.

I think around 40 will be it but who knows, maybe another George Blanda (not sure on the spelling) There has been some players that hung in for a long time some changed to kickers. I think somewhere around 40 will be it for him though.

I've heard the cerebral vs. physical part a lot, and I do agree with it to a certain point. However, even if Peyton is more football smart next season than he ever has been its not much good if he can't throw the ball or take a hit. Yes, I know some will say that quarterbacks are protected more than ever and Peyton has such a quick release that he can avoid hits. This is very true, but he can't avoid all hits.

I think around 40 will be it but who knows, maybe another George Blanda (not sure on the spelling) There has been some players that hung in for a long time some changed to kickers. I think somewhere around 40 will be it for him though.

I'd agree with around that 38 to 40 range. I think he could potentially play longer, but I believe once he determines that his ability to play competitively and lead an offense with his brain and his arm that we will see him retire. I doubt that he would continue playing just for the sake of playing.

You laugh at someone's opinion?. This is a forum. Opinions are shared and discussed.

Your laugh reminds me of another laugh and we all know how that ended.

Here watch.

I am not preventing him from posting his opinion, just laughing at it. Suggesting any QB will play into their mid-forties is funny, particularly one that has had 4 neck surgeries and may be looking at a 5th. That is suggesting that Manning has at least 8 years left to play and in an honest moment, I bet you find that funny too.

I am not preventing him from posting his opinion, just laughing at it. Suggesting any QB will play into their mid-forties is funny, particularly one that has had 4 neck surgeries and may be looking at a 5th. That is suggesting that Manning has at least 8 years left to play and in an honest moment, I bet you find that funny too.

U obviously need to watch more football...it's changing...get with the program.....partna...

U obviously need to watch more football...it's changing...get with the program.....partna...

1) It would be hard for me to watch more football than I already do.

2) It would be hard for me to comprehend the game anymore than I already do.

3) What I very clearly understand is that Manning will be in the broadcast both by the time he is in his mid-forties.