Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Insight on the Colts 6th overall pick

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/03/27/insider-what-learned-who-colts-select-nfl-draft/462245002/

Many of us have thought this for awhile, but with the trade down to 6, it seems that they are targeting one of Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at 6. They are betting that one of them will be there, which is most likely the case, but if all three were to get drafted top 5, then they have someone else in mind. Who that other prospect is, is anyone's guess. My bet is it would be Fitzpatrick, with the thought of moving him permanently to CB opposite Wilson. 

Here's how I could see the top 5 picks going though...

1 - Darnold

2 - Rosen (At the end of the day, unless they get a great trade down offer, I have a hard time believing they will pass up their future franchise QB picking this high)

3 - Allen

4 - Barkley

5 - Nelson, Ward, or Fitzpatrick

Which leaves Bradley Chubb for the Colts at 6. 

• Like 1

That’s close to how i see it playing out.  However, my current mock has Cleveland trading down one spot to Denver, who selects Mayfield.  If Denver doesn’t like Mayfield, they stay where they are and select Nelson.  I don’t think the Browns’ new GM can resist trading down one spot and still getting Barkley.  For Denver’s part, Elway will be too nervous that Buffalo, Miami, or Arizona might be targetting #4...

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd take Edmunds at 6 if the others are off the board.   Personally that's who I think they have in mind if the first 3 are not there.

Eberflus would be giddy as hell with the potential he could have the Edmunds. He appears to be a linebacker whisperer.

• Like 2

If Barkley, Nelson and Chubb are all gone when we're on the clock then I think we're looking to trade down.

Either a little (remain in the top 10) or a little further back like Buffalo at 12.   I don't see us trading further back with a team like Arizona at 15..

But if we stay at 6,  I think the player we'd most likely be interested in is Edmunds.   All that size...   All that speed...   all that upside...    ALL of that at age 19.   

Two things about Fitz.   I don't think corner is his best spot so I don't see that happening and he's a free safety,  not a strong, so I do t see him as a pair with Hooker.    Also I've read that our new system doesn't require a corner that's a super high pick.   That you can find a corner to do what we want a little later..  remember...  Wilson went 42 and even Peters I think went 18 overall.   We don't have to use a 6 overall on a corner...

Just some food for thought...   

Good thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Barkley, Nelson and Chubb are all gone when we're on the clock then I think we're looking to trade down.

Either a little (remain in the top 10) or a little further back like Buffalo at 12.   I don't see us trading further back with a team like Arizona at 15..

But if we stay at 6,  I think the player we'd most likely be interested in is Edmunds.   All that size...   All that speed...   all that upside...    ALL of that at age 19.   

Two things about Fitz.   I don't think corner is his best spot so I don't see that happening and he's a free safety,  not a strong, so I do t see him as a pair with Hooker.    Also I've read that our new system doesn't require a corner that's a super high pick.   That you can find a corner to do what we want a little later..  remember...  Wilson went 42 and even Peters I think went 18 overall.   We don't have to use a 6 overall on a corner...

Just some food for thought...   

Good thread...

IMO if we are drafting a safety, Derwin James should be higher on the list than Minkah. His athleticism, explosiveness and aggression are insane. He covered pretty much everybody from the slot(WRs, TEs, RBs) and did it very well. He also has better size than Minkah. IMO he can be an elite safety who you can put on the new breed of mismatch weapons (both TEs and WRs) in the league and he will do a great job covering them. He needs to clean up his pursuit angles a bit... 

I think I agree on Edmunds. He's very close to my favorite at 6 if we get wiped out by the teams before us. (And I still don't want Barkley) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I just don't like Minkah Fitz's 40 (4.46) to be a true outside CB. All other DB positions, yea. And hopefully Chubb and Nelson are there at 6.

Runs about the same 40 as Quincy Wilson or a little bit faster.   His time is about right especially for the scheme we run.   I see no issues, but I wouldn't take him at #6 though.

48 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't even move back with the HOPE Edmunds will be there.  I would just take him at 6 period if those top 3 players don't materialize.   Take him!

I'm just starting to watch some games of Edmunds and Smith and I'm really torn between the two.  Edmunds' athletic ability and tackling ability are really top notch.  But Smith has the same athletic ability and I have yet to see him take a false step or misread a play.  I can't say the same for Edmunds.

So far to me it's a matter of size or football IQ.  I personally prefer football IQ.  But I can see the Colts drafting either.

What are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm just starting to watch some games of Edmunds and Smith and I'm really torn between the two.  Edmunds' athletic ability and tackling ability are really top notch.  But Smith has the same athletic ability and I have yet to see him take a false step or misread a play.  I can't say the same for Edmunds.

So far to me it's a matter of size or football IQ.  I personally prefer football IQ.  But I can see the Colts drafting either.

A lot to love about Roquan Smith also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I wouldn't even move back with the HOPE Edmunds will be there.  I would just take him at 6 period if those top 3 players don't materialize.   Take him!

I agree take him at 6 if others are gone, having him for 3 yrs longer than an avg player could be the best long term selection for the colts in a long time. I dont beleive many 19 yr olds go to the draft with his skills ( i may be wrong tho)

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What are your thoughts?

can't really go wrong with either.....also Edmunds is a pup still (only 19) and he really doesn't even know what he's doing yet and was still dominant alot. Smith is, by far, the more polished player and has the better mental set up than Edmunds does at the moment. But he doesn't have near the size and physical traits Edmunds does, nor as high a ceiling. Edmunds has the potential to be very special(just needs time to learn more). Smith is the safer player at this point in time for sure. It's really what  you value more right now...potential sky high ceiling but needs to learn a lot more or a not as high ceiling but a very high floor and a very good player still.

Like I said, can't really go wrong and both will still be an upgrade over what's on the roster right now and will make the D better either way.

• Like 1

The best part of this article is that they have done all of their analysis and have their board finalized and are ready to handle any situation that will be presented to them.  And it sounds like they have a good handle on the probability of how it should go.  There is always a chance of a surprise from left field but I think they could adjust to that quickly.  No matter how it goes down I feel confident CB has a plan that he will follow.  It's in place and I trust it will be a good one. 

I would prefer to take someone else at 6.  If Chubb is truly a disruptive force at DE, then Cleveland will take him at 4 over the RB, IMO.

And, unless he is a complete nonscheme fit, if Chubb is the force we are assuming, Denver would take him to pair with Von Miller and maybe even replace Miller's expensive contract when the time comes.

Cleveland and Denver also draft at the top of the second where there will be RBs, DBs, and Gs available.

Neither Cleveland or Denver should pass on Chubb if he is truly BPA.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

JMV stated that Ward is the other guy they like. I would prefer Edmunds to Ward.

Last week, Colin Cowherd said the Colts really want Ward at 6.  Must have heard the same thing as JMV. 

He said Ward is shooting up draft boards and could go as high as Cleveland at 4.

13 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

can't really go wrong with either.....also Edmunds is a pup still (only 19) and he really doesn't even know what he's doing yet and was still dominant alot. Smith is, by far, the more polished player and has the better mental set up than Edmunds does at the moment. But he doesn't have near the size and physical traits Edmunds does, nor as high a ceiling. Edmunds has the potential to be very special(just needs time to learn more). Smith is the safer player at this point in time for sure. It's really what  you value more right now...potential sky high ceiling but needs to learn a lot more or a not as high ceiling but a very high floor and a very good player still.

Like I said, can't really go wrong and both will still be an upgrade over what's on the roster right now and will make the D better either way.

I agree, I don't think I would be upset over either.  I am always leary of the "potential" vs NFL ready.  And from what I've read and seen Edmunds has the potential to be another Ray Lewis, meaning someone who changes the way the LB position is played.

Manning was considered more NFL ready, Leaf had more potential and a higher ceiling.

Luck was the more NFL ready, RGIII had more potential and a higher ceiling.

The list goes on of guys drafted because of their high ceiling.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, #12. said:

Last week, Colin Cowherd said the Colts really want Ward at 6.  Must have heard the same thing as JMV. 

He said Ward is shooting up draft boards and could go as high as Cleveland at 4.

Last year Ballard said he really looks for guys that create turnovers.  Ward only has two picks in his career.   I prefer fitz but he may have the same concerns.  

16 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What are your thoughts?

Edmunds has a tendency to take a false step, but Eberflus can teach him otherwise.

Smith is great, but only when he stays clean. The opposing offense can scheme to send a guard to the second level and bowl him over. I've seen this on tape. Smith's glaring weakness is his size and coaching can't do much about that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, #12. said:

This is a smokescreen. Ward does not fit the new scheme IMHO.

26 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Edmunds has a tendency to take a false step, but Eberflus can teach him otherwise.

Smith is great, but only when he stays clean. The opposing offense can scheme to send a guard to the second level and bowl him over. I've seen this on tape. Smith's glaring weakness is his size and coaching can't do much about that.

I agree, Edmunds has way more upside. When you compare to Urlacher there's not much better. Also for how good he is he can be so much better. 

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

I agree, you can't teach size.  But I also don't think you can teach "instincts" (since humans don't have instincts per say I prefer the term field awareness), he can improve it somewhat with film study, reps, etc.  But someone who is slow at diagnosing the action or the field will always be slow at diagnosing the action on the field.  With Edmunds, his athletic ability allows him to recover from a slow diagnoses and it seems he has the athletic ability to be able to recover in the NFL as well.

I also should point out that Edmunds being "slow" diagnosing plays is relative.  I don't think he is poor at diagnosing plays, it's just not a strength and is noticeable when comparing him to a player like Smith.

Also regarding Smith and the comment about only when he stays clean.  I only agree somewhat, one, he does a good job of keeping himself clean, meaning he is understand where the blocks will be coming from and can avoid them while maintaining his assignment, also I have not seen him get totally blown out by a guard but he has been negated by a guard getting to him.  Of course, I've seen Edmunds negated from a guard as well.