Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierre Desir is back

TKnight24

Desir should fit nicely into the new defense...tall, long CB who can jump. Seems like the prototype for Ballard and Eberflus.

At the very least, Desir will be solid depth. I wouldn't rule out another CB to compete with him and Wilson for the two starting spots. 

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Desir should fit nicely into the new defense...tall, long CB who can jump. Seems like the prototype for Ballard and Eberflus.

At the very least, Desir will be solid depth. I wouldn't rule out another CB to compete with him and Wilson for the two starting spots. 

Holton Hill

DJ Reed

Q. Meeks from Stanford 

Any of the VTech CB

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

I wonder if Ballard has some kind of fear of commitment.  Desir seems like the kind of guy who could give us 2-3 years of good ball...

Coming off an injury, make the guys earn it

That breeds competition. The guy in front of you has 4 years on his deal, you got 1 year. It’s gonna be some fights at TC this season, bank on it 

:catfight:

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I wonder if Ballard has some kind of fear of commitment.  Desir seems like the kind of guy who could give us 2-3 years of good ball...

He’s played like half a season of decent ball. 

“Fear of commitment” aka being smart.

18 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Plus it breeds a mentality of proove yourself and you’ll get paid because if you don’t there will be someone behind you.

Well yeah , he’s bringing in young free agents that for one reason or another were let go by their previous teams.

Young , hungry , with something to prove, and financial incentive to perform. And smartly , Ballard hasn’t committed to any of them long term.

If they want to prove to the league just how good they are , great, we’ll give you the platform to do it. But, you’re going to have to prove it here before we commit to you.

Some of these guys might stick , some I’m sure won’t. Meanwhile, he’s building the long term core with the draft.

It’s smart, man. It’s just a shame we didn’t hire this guy in 2012.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The draft picture is getting clearer

Not sure what you mean.  I doubt this signing has any effect on the draft board. 

I think it's likely that unless we drop back again we're getting Barkley, Chubb or Nelson.

Day two is where it's going to be really fun. 

This may of been brought up, but something to consider with these 1 year contracts as well is the fact that if someone like Ryan Grant has a solid year, but we let him go and he re-signs for another team for a decent amount of money, we can start building up compensatory picks each with 1 year, prove it deal guys while building the team through the draft with our regular picks. Once we have a much better team in a couple years through a couple drafts, then we can sign a bunch of FA's and take a shot at the SB while we accumulated all those compensatory picks. If it works out, it's genius. We'll have to see.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure what you mean.  I doubt this signing has any effect on the draft board. 

I think it's likely that unless we drop back again we're getting Barkley, Chubb or Nelson.

Day two is where it's going to be really fun. 

None of Ballard’s signings will really effect our draft. He knows our team has holes everywhere (and new schemes on both sides of the ball) , we aren’t in a position to pick positional need over talent (except for a few positions).

Plus, none of our signings are of the caliber to make us deviate from BPA. And on top of that , we haven’t committed to them long term. Stop-gap solutions (which is what they are until they prove otherwise) don’t change drafts. Not for a team in our position and not for an intelligent GM.

So no, free agency isn’t going to dictate our draft. Outside of QB, K ,P (and possibly TE and S) , it’s game on. We need talent everywhere.

43 minutes ago, Archer said:

Keeping the players hungry for the next contract, instead of being complacent and lazy. I like what's going on so far.

29 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Well yeah , he’s bringing in young free agents that for one reason or another were let go by their previous teams.

Young , hungry , with something to prove, and financial incentive to perform. And smartly , Ballard hasn’t committed to any of them long term.

If they want to prove to the league just how good they are , great, we’ll give you the platform to do it. But, you’re going to have to prove it here before we commit to you.

Some of these guys might stick , some I’m sure won’t. Meanwhile, he’s building the long term core with the draft.

It’s smart, man. It’s just a shame we didn’t hire this guy in 2012.

Yeah if only ..... colts could be a dynasty now if CB was brought in with Luck .... hell anybody would have been better then grigs/pags

14 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Yeah if only ..... colts could be a dynasty now if CB was brought in with Luck .... hell anybody would have been better then grigs/pags

It was a bad hire the day Irsay brought Grigson and Pagano in , and it was even worse to keep them as long as he did. The incompetence was evident early on.

I place a ton of blame for wasting Luck for this long on Irsay, but it’s over now and he brought it the right guy this time. #12 covered a lot cracks and made a lot coaches/players look better than they actually were. Irsay fell for it , as did some of the fan base.

Luck still has plenty of years left , and we can rectify the past to a degree,  but we can’t do it as fast as some would like. We need a massive influx of talent , good coaching and time to put this franchise back on the rails. There is a lot to fix here and unfortunately our division isn’t total trash anymore.

Ballard nailing this draft , and the 2017 drafted players improving would go a long way. But, we’ll see.