Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Colts tag Vinitari

Bert Johns

I think now that Vinitari has said he will play in 2018 the colts should tag him and give him the money he deserves after the screwing he got at the end of last season going for 50 plus yards field goals in buffalo in the snow/blizzard that took a $500,000 bonus from him. He has been the constinent pro and he should retire a colt.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've been thinking about this the past couple days, coincidentally. I wouldn't tag him. I'd offer him a very respectful deal and try to convince him to stay, but if he wants to leave for whatever reason, I'd let him. 

I agree. That is how I would play it as well. I would hate to lose him though. He is money.

Ballard made it pretty clear that they’re not going to overpay for free agents.  He was talking about middle of the pack guys, and Adam certainly isn’t that.  But he’s also not the best K in the league.  

But I think it’s safe to say he’s going to pay what a reliable FG kicker is worth.  It’s up to Adam if he’ll be satisfied with that.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Ballard made it pretty clear that they’re not going to overpay for free agents.  He was talking about middle of the pack guys, and Adam certainly isn’t that.  But he’s also not the best K in the league.  

But I think it’s safe to say he’s going to pay what a reliable FG kicker is worth.  It’s up to Adam if he’ll be satisfied with that.  

Adam was only the 10th highest paid kicker in the league last season. That's pretty cheap for a legend.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He very well could. He looks stronger than ever and can still kick a 50 Yard FG with ease. I would offer him a decent 2 yr deal and see if he takes it.

I know Ballard will be doing the contracts but it wouldn't surprise me for Irsay to give him a suggestion.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I tend to agree.

I don't think there's any reason to tag Adam.    He had demonstrated that he's not looking to be the highest paid kicker... he's not squeezed us for every last dollar he could get.

So...   a 2-year deal...   a dining bonus of 2 milk and yearly salaries if 2 mill per.

A total of 6 million.   

I think his last last deal was 2 years and 5 million.    I don't want to overthink this or let the guy walk out the door over chump change...   

He would be thrille

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I tend to agree.

Agreed. He doesn't want to go anywhere. IMO, he should fall somewhere in the 2 year, 3.5 per (fully guaranteed). Gives him the 6th highest average per year. Maybe I am way off base, but I think that could be agreeable to both sides. It's not like the Colts are tight on cap. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He very well could. He looks stronger than ever and can still kick a 50 Yard FG with ease. I would offer him a decent 2 yr deal and see if he takes it.

Here is a bit of trivia on Blanda.

He was the very first player drafted in the first know fantasy football league known to exist.

It was in 1962 and was named The Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Prognosticators League.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is a bit of trivia on Blanda.

He was the very first player drafted in the first know fantasy football league known to exist.

It was in 1962 and was named The Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Prognosticators League.

IMO Blanda and AV do not compare since Blanda was a QB/K

Great info

AV compares to Morten Andersen

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO Blanda and AV do not compare since Blanda was a QB/K

Great info

Yeah it's hard to imagine that Blanda played his first pro game in 1949 and retired in 1975. He was picked in the 12th round. There were only 10 NFL teams in 1949 so he was picked # 119th.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Off Topic: 

I always wonder why elite place kickers don't get theme songs? You know, like close out pitchers in baseball. 

Carry on...

I remember me and my best friend made up one for Juan Marichal back in the day. It had the same tune as Louie Louie did. lol. Probably had some of the so called words in it too. :D

Wasn't there a rule that stated a player could only be tagged so many times and if it was exceeded then their pay would be based off of top salaries not just positional salaries?  I seem to remember something like that involving him years back because the Pats had tagged him.  Is this still in the rules?

https://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2014/02/26/it-would-be-too-costly-to-use-franchise-tag-on-veteran-placekicker/5846639/

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Adam was only the 10th highest paid kicker in the league last season. That's pretty cheap for a legend.

And we have to assume that's what he'll be offered.  He's probably not going to get anything better from other teams.

He’s said he doesn’t like losing, and at his age and place I don’t blame him. So if he thinks we’re in for another rough season or two and he wants to go somewhere he thinks he has a better chance to compete I can’t blame him. He deserves to compete. If that’s the case, thank him for his service and give him that chance. Tagging him just wouldn’t be proper IMO. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Doesn’t look like they will need too.

I had been wondering about this...I will be more than pleased to have him another year. He is a legend, but he still has incredible consistency and seems to be getting stronger with age.