Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Key to 2018.....Ryan Kelly?

DaveA1102

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yep, about 20 times.  I don't know about anyone else but I get your point. All over a position that is our least concern right now.

He was unable to pass concussion protocol for 3 consecutive weeks before they shut him down..Thats not normal..I'll leave it at that..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

He was unable to pass concussion protocol for 3 consecutive weeks before they shut him down..Thats not normal..I'll leave it at that..

Concussions can vastly vary on a case by case basis, and with that, the recovery also varies. It may have been a pretty mean concussion that took a while to recover from. That doesn't mean much at this point. He may have a dozen more concussions, he may have none. The recovery time for his prior concussion isn't indicative of him being injury or concussion prone and at that point in the season, it was very likely they were being extremely cautious in bringing him back until they decided to just put him on IR.

When you're freshly recovering from a concussion, you are more prone to a 2nd concussion, which can be fatal (second impact syndrome). When you have no shot at the playoffs, your best move is to shut down an injured star player. If he starts having more concussions or injuries, I'd be concerned, but it's way too soon.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Concussions can vastly vary on a case by case basis, and with that, the recovery also varies. It may have been a pretty mean concussion that took a while to recover from. That doesn't mean much at this point. He may have a dozen more concussions, he may have none. The recovery time for his prior concussion isn't indicative of him being injury or concussion prone and at that point in the season, it was very likely they were being extremely cautious in bringing him back until they decided to just put him on IR.

When you're freshly recovering from a concussion, you are more prone to a 2nd concussion, which can be fatal (second impact syndrome). When you have no shot at the playoffs, your best move is to shut down an injured star player. If he starts having more concussions or injuries, I'd be concerned, but it's way too soon.

I agree its too soon, but so far in 2 years he has had shoulder, knee, and foot injuries to go along with a serious concussion..Eddie Jackson gave him a concussion at Alabama too..I hope he stays healthy believe me I just look at it objectively and not as a hopeful fan..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

30 is not old for a LT, and Costanzo arguably had his best season..It would be stupid to cut him..When he is 34 we should have that conversation..

It's not that old...I am just saying AC at LT something that we can pencil in for the next few years. They aren't cutting him this season anyways...but I guarantee that discussion will come up next offseason when they can save most of this cap hit.

In a perfect world, he has another solid season and they extend him a few years and we can forget about it. But considering Ballard has really yet to address the OL, it's hard telling what direction Ballard he will want to go at OT or OG.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

It's not that old...I am just saying AC at LT something that we can pencil in for the next few years. They aren't cutting him this season anyways...but I guarantee that discussion will come up next offseason when they can save most of this cap hit.

In a perfect world, he has another solid season and they extend him a few years and we can forget about it. But considering Ballard has really yet to address the OL, it's hard telling what direction Ballard he will want to go at OT or OG.

We don't really have cap issues now or in next few years..I agree we will need to look for a tackle to develop soon..I haven't given up on LeRaven Clark yet..He was raw coming out and he has all the physical tools..Im hopeful better coaching solves a lot of our issues..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Just snowflakes being snowflakes..Doesn't bother me at all..

Literally my least favorite word these days. It's a cop-out term that isn't even used properly. It was a term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Now it's just used to describe someone that says something that you don't agree with, which is often ironic, because it generally more accurately describes the one using the term than the one being called it.

/rant

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

He threw a nice chunk of change at Donald Thomas who got hurt, and drafted Ben Iljiana in 2nd and he stayed hurt, now is starting for Jets..

Ben Iljiana was a Polian pick.

Donald Thomas I think was given like 3 to 5 mil per year.  He was a budget signing.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Ben Iljiana was a Polian pick.

Donald Thomas I think was given like 3 to 5 mil per year.  He was a budget signing.  

Costanzo rd1, Mewhort rd2, Kelly rd1, Clark rd3, ...Not like we have had a bunch of udfa's on our line..Every lineman doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd rd pick...Maybe the coach and his philosophy sucked? Just saying

LOL...

Some posts have been edited & removed. 

While pointing out site rules & expectations to others try to so so in a positive manner rather than making passive aggressive digs at moderators...

This is also in the rules

"To discuss a warning or violation with the issuing moderator, please message the moderator. Do not discuss warnings or violations in an open forum.

If you have a problem with the rules or with moderation, PM (private message) a member of the mod team. Public discussion of site and forum moderation (including in the blogs or profiles) is against the rules."

The most frustrating thing about this  forum is when threads with potential are derailed by people with their own agenda or desire to pick holes in the opinions of others.

I thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss the Philly offense, Reichs philosophy and how that fits with our roster or even just Ryan Kelly........instead we get bickering and arguments over the definition of "snowflake".

Ah well........night folks 

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

The most frustrating thing about this  forum is when threads with potential are derailed by people with their own agenda or desire to pick holes in the opinions of others.

I thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss the Philly offense, Reichs philosophy and how that fits with our roster or even just Ryan Kelly........instead we get bickering and arguments over the definition of "snowflake".

It happens, but they usually get back on track.

7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

With the arrival of Reich and his (and the rest of the NFL's) likely copying of the success the Eagles had on offense, Ryan Kelly may well be the most important part of our offense who doesn't have a #12 on their back.

Firstly, let me say, Ryan Kelly is not Jason Kelce, but he is a great young player and someone we can build around for years to come.  My question is, does he have the ability to get outside the "bull-rush center" skill set we have seen him do so well?  That could be massive for us in 2018, especially with the explosive skill set of Marlon Mack and the potential for it to wreak havoc in an RPO based offense.  Imagine if we can get Mack out wide in a screen with Doyle and Kelly leading the way........:rock:

The one thing I will say (aimed at Mr Ballard) is we need better guards!  There is no way we can expect Kelly to be able to slide out and help in the open field if he is having to cover for the guards due to their lack of ability.  Mark my words, if I see Le-Raven Clark at RG at the start of next year, Ballard's goodwill is gone! haha

This also leads me back to believe we will trade back from the #3 spot in the draft and take Nelson where we can get him, and add more depth elsewhere (probably defense).  Whether we go for Norwell as well, I don't know, but we need to address this area this year, especially with Luck hopefully back under center.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting discussion point so wanted to share......

:coltslogo:

Manning had Saturday if Ryan Kelly who I think is gonna do great can't be the new Jeff Saturday then we need to address that , 

IMO he looked great considering it takes a couple of years to get up to speed for O- lineman..

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not unusual for offensive linemen to be drafted in the 3rd round or later. Heck, Jeff Saturday was a walk on for the Colts who was working in the hardware business. It's not a point of when or where players comes from, it's a matter of them playing to their contracts.

Grigson paid for his lack of not finding those players with his job. Not much more to say I would think?

From pumping gas to the Colts ring of Honor Jeff Saturdays story is awesome ..

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/09/21/jeff-saturday-from-pumping-gas-to-the-colts-ring-of-honor/72528202/

If he can't stay on the field, he isn't helping.  It doesn't matter if it is a foot injury or concussions.  He isn't on the field period.  Some players have random tacky injuries their whole career.  I hope this doesn't happen to him, and he is mobile, but just in case a guy like Spencer Long who can play center or guard might be a good idea.  Maybe even bring somebody in to compete with him like a Russell Bodine.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I thought this could be an interesting topic to discuss the Philly offense, Reichs philosophy and how that fits with our roster or even just Ryan Kelly........instead we get bickering and arguments over the definition of "*".

It seems disingenuous to attack people who bring up a valid point.  You brought up a thread on Kelly, and are upset about those who are concerned with Kelly.  Kelly is mobile, not real powerful, and possibly fragile.  I agree with you that Reich knows how to use mobile centers.  It could be great for Kelly if he can stay on the field.  I hope your vision of a dominant mobile Kelly comes to be.  It could be a strength for the team.  He has to prove it, and someone like Long or Bodine makes sense.

Danely was talking about this on his podcast.  I asdume thats what got you thinking about it.  I think people are getting too hung up on comparing Kelly and Kelcey.  WHEN Ballard improves our guards this offseason, i think we'll be fine.

Kelly doesnt have to be Kelcey (not many Cs can), he just has to do his job and get a lil help from the guys on each side of him.

3 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

If he can't stay on the field, he isn't helping.  It doesn't matter if it is a foot injury or concussions.  He isn't on the field period.  Some players have random tacky injuries their whole career.  I hope this doesn't happen to him, and he is mobile, but just in case a guy like Spencer Long who can play center or guard might be a good idea.  Maybe even bring somebody in to compete with him like a Russell Bodine.

Bodine is a starting caliber center.   He's not coming to a franchise that spent a first round pick on a center, unless he's coming to be a guard.

Where did you come up with the notion that Kelly isn't powerful?

8 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

It seems disingenuous to attack people who bring up a valid point.  You brought up a thread on Kelly, and are upset about those who are concerned with Kelly.  Kelly is mobile, not real powerful, and possibly fragile.  I agree with you that Reich knows how to use mobile centers.  It could be great for Kelly if he can stay on the field.  I hope your vision of a dominant mobile Kelly comes to be.  It could be a strength for the team.  He has to prove it, and someone like Long or Bodine makes sense.

You have completely missed my point.  I brought up the thread on Kelly and am happy to engage in debate about his health issues (which I believe are not an issue until there is a recurring theme) or any other area, while admitting I do not know all the answers and so am willing to be corrected.......but when 50% of the comments on this thread are sniping back and forth it puts people off posting and stifles the discussion. 

I concede this may come off as "would all the big bullies stop ruining my thread" (haha) but it has happened in a number of threads and has put me off in the past, and there are regular offenders. 

Ps I appreciate the rest of the post, well thought out and articulated.  Fully agree he needs to be on the field so we can see where he goes from here and he definitely has to prove it. He had a very solid first year and worked well with Luck, I think last year will be one they will both want to put behind them and so hopefully we see 2018 be a continuation of the good foundation they built.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Danely was talking about this on his podcast.  I asdume thats what got you thinking about it.  I think people are getting too hung up on comparing Kelly and Kelcey.  WHEN Ballard improves our guards this offseason, i think we'll be fine.

Kelly doesnt have to be Kelcey (not many Cs can), he just has to do his job and get a lil help from the guys on each side of him.

Yes it was indeed the Stampede Blue podcast that got me thinking about it, although I think it may have been the other guy who brought this up (Andrew I think his name is).

I am interested to see what Ballard does at the guard position and what that could mean in terms of Kelly's role.  As a minimum, he is a very solid center, which is not to be underrated.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Yes it was indeed the Stampede Blue podcast that got me thinking about it, although I think it may have been the other guy who brought this up (Andrew I think his name is).

I am interested to see what Ballard does at the guard position and what that could mean in terms of Kelly's role.  As a minimum, he is a very solid center, which is not to be underrated.

I found the podcast very interesting too. 

I'm an eternal optimist so I expect Ballard to address the OL.

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Knowing how Ballard manages the cap, I don't think any discussion will be necessary in near future (let's say in next 2-3 years) due to cap hit. The Colts have 80 million in cap space now, but i'd be VERY surprised if he didn't roll 30 something mill for next year. He rolled 18.3 mill from 2017, despite 2017 was much tighter than 2018 will be.

So no, no one will be cut due to caphit in the foreseable future. If a player plays up to his contract, he'll stay. Castonzo does.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhh.....

Kelly not only missed zero games in college, he missed zero snaps.   In THREE YEARS at Alabama.

And his rookie year, Kelly missed zero games.   And I'm not sure he missed any snaps.

This past year Kelly missed games due to a broken foot and a concussion.  Not exactly minor injuries.

And now you post that Kelky is injury prone and will likely miss half a season.

Only you JS....    only you....

Kelly has played at or near all pro level when he plays! He learns from mistakes and tends to not repeat them! All good. But Kelly did miss snaps and time in his first pre season and the season I believe with a shoulder that coupled with last years injuries I am concerned, but not alarmed. This is a big year for Kelly hopefully he can stay  healthy! He does need much better guard play mostly right guard! It will be an intusrsting battle as to who the backup center is this coming year!

3 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Kelly has played at or near all pro level when he plays! He learns from mistakes and tends to not repeat them! All good. But Kelly did miss snaps and time in his first pre season and the season I believe with a shoulder that coupled with last years injuries I am concerned, but not alarmed. This is a big year for Kelly hopefully he can stay  healthy! He does need much better guard play mostly right guard! It will be an intusrsting battle as to who the backup center is this coming year!

Am I reading this correctly?

You're complaining/commenting about games or snaps missed in the pre-season?

The pre-season?     Seriously?

The PRE-season?

The PRE-SEASON?!?

I don't know what to say.........

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I reading this correctly?

You're complaining/commenting about games or snaps missed in the pre-season?

The pre-season?     Seriously?

The PRE-season?

The PRE-SEASON?!?

I don't know what to say.........

Not complaining  stating facts missing time pre season as a rookie is  not favorable and missed many snaps during the season with the same shoulder  injury!  Coupled with this year's injuries causes concern ! You now don't have to say anything:applause:

On 2/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, DaveA1102 said:

With the arrival of Reich and his (and the rest of the NFL's) likely copying of the success the Eagles had on offense, Ryan Kelly may well be the most important part of our offense who doesn't have a #12 on their back.

Firstly, let me say, Ryan Kelly is not Jason Kelce, but he is a great young player and someone we can build around for years to come.  My question is, does he have the ability to get outside the "bull-rush center" skill set we have seen him do so well?  That could be massive for us in 2018, especially with the explosive skill set of Marlon Mack and the potential for it to wreak havoc in an RPO based offense.  Imagine if we can get Mack out wide in a screen with Doyle and Kelly leading the way........:rock:

The one thing I will say (aimed at Mr Ballard) is we need better guards!  There is no way we can expect Kelly to be able to slide out and help in the open field if he is having to cover for the guards due to their lack of ability.  Mark my words, if I see Le-Raven Clark at RG at the start of next year, Ballard's goodwill is gone! haha

This also leads me back to believe we will trade back from the #3 spot in the draft and take Nelson where we can get him, and add more depth elsewhere (probably defense).  Whether we go for Norwell as well, I don't know, but we need to address this area this year, especially with Luck hopefully back under center.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting discussion point so wanted to share......

:coltslogo:

Your dead on about Kelly. I think we should consider bringing in a very good veteran or two in free agency. Definitely need more depth and better competition up front.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Kelly is a good young player. There is nothing Great so far.
 Not sure how anyone could miss that Kelly moves, runs very well and can get outside on sweeps and get to the 2nd level. He is ideal to be a guard.
 L Clark has shown good ability as a run blocker, and should not be counted out as still a good prospect.
 His ht, weight, athleticism is right on the money. Practice and game experience and he could become very solid.
 JMO but we would be OK at center with the guy that finished the season with 2 good guards beside him. So no Kelly isn't that important.
 We need 2-3 quick receivers, a in-line blocking TE, and a power back with some size, speed to make it all work. Nothing less.

Have to agree last year Kelly was underwhelming be it he was injured but there was a noticeable improvement with the UDFA and FA centers we replaced him with . 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755359-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-right-tackles-of-2017-season

Top players that we may wish to target in FA for our RT are Justin McCray ERFA ranked #19 from Green Bay (filled in for Bryan Bulaga) and Chris Hubbard ranked UFA #17 best (filled in for Marcus Gilbert).

Top NFL Offensive Guards  we could target imo are current starter at RG Brandon Fusco ranked #23 (49ers 2018 UFA), LG Senio Kelemete ranked #34 (Saints) 2018 UFA currently the backup but should end up taking over for Andrus Peat (ranked #40) and OG/C Zach Fulton ranked #25 (Chiefs) 2018 UFA .

On 2/12/2018 at 12:04 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Well that goes for every starter on the roster.  We are deeper at the center position than most the others so if he does miss time it wouldn't have as bad a negative effect than a couple of other positions.

Agree with this. Cant come up with the guys name atm, but dude seemed solid. Kelly is important, but having guards around him is more important. Get Nelson and Norwell, with Kelly in the middle, T Rich be gettin 1000 yds easy. We are a year or 2 away from replacing AC on the left with Haeg or Good on right, Luck should stay fairly clean.(although he will still run some, kinda part of rpo) Dont think Kelly is most important besides Luck, that one goes to his back up.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, DaveA1102 said:

Exactly what I was going to reply. 

Too many on here quick to state someone is "injury prone".  It's different if someone has a recurring issue (Mewhort's knees) but when its completely different injuries then it is just coincidence. 

He was also practicing through the concussion so was obviously healthy, just didn't pass the protocol.

Injury prone is an oft injured player. It matters not what injury. Not that I agree Kelly is injury prone. I just don't think it has to be the same injury.