Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We’re not doing the Star Wars stuff again

Andrew Luck fan club

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Blows my mind....lol...Let's turn Luck into game manager and squeak out wins 21-17...How about we surround Luck with weapons, and win 42-24? Go 13-3, get home field ,and make teams beat us at our game...We are an indoor team, lets play fast...We can still draft and sign guys on oline and defense and still take Barkley! You can have both! People think taking Barkley at 3 means we aren't going to improve the line or defense..We have 85 million in cap people, might as well use it , just be smart with the contracts and target younger players that are proven...Pay for difference makers instead of a bunch of mid-level guys...

I CONCUR.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Wth do you know??? With a legit cerebral coach I feel the talent we have in house will be developed and used much better...We have a good dline, good young secondary, we need another pass rusher and a coverage ilb and the defense will be pretty good .. .We have 6 other picks in draft and free agency..We have some young olineman now that need developed...No reason we can't draft edge in second or guard. ..We can get one of the top guards , ilbs, wr, and pass rushers in free agency and sign our guys like Melvin, Moncrief, desir  Mewhort, and vinatieri and still have plenty of cap left....Why does it have to be Guard or Edge first round?? Barkley will make the most impact period, and with a good coach and healthy Luck , and much better scheme we will be dangerous...Free agents will want to come here now with Ballard running the show...You are the dense one,  its build the trenches is the only way to win in your mind, and you have to use 1st rd picks on trenches  mentality...Great players and coaching wins in the NFL and there are lots of ways to do it...

One of first things Ballard said when he was hired was that you have to win the line scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I guess he’s dense too. 

33 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

One of first things Ballard said when he was hired was that you have to win the line scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I guess he’s dense too. 

Who said we weren't gonna get guys for the lines????Just said picking Barkley at 3 will make biggest impact...We can still add talent to the line and defense in draft and free agency? I like our dline tbh...

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Who said we weren't gonna get guys for the lines????Just said picking Barkley at 3 will make biggest impact...We can still add talent to the line and defense in draft and free agency? I like our dline tbh...

We’ll just agree to disagree. If we take Barkley, by all means come back and call me an * lol. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Or maybe you get insulted a little too easily on the internet. 

No offense, but every time I see your avatar I crack up and have a hard time taking you seriously.   

Sorry, I’ll try not to be so fragile from now on.

And now, back to discussing the Colts...

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No offense, but every time I see your avatar I crack up and have a hard time taking you seriously.   

Sorry, I’ll try not to be so fragile from now on.

And now, back to discussing the Colts...

I guess you crack up every time you see Superman post too.

Great post! Good look lmao 

3 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

I guess you crack up every time you see Superman post too.

Great post! Good look lmao 

No, he writes insightful, mature posts and I respect his opinions.   

But it’s cute that you consider yourself witty.  Carry on son!

On 1/18/2018 at 8:44 PM, Andrew Luck fan club said:

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

Just so you know during those Manning Star Wars number years we actually had some very good defenses...including the #1 defense in 2007 and #2 defense in 2005. We also had top 10 defenses 5 times and only defenses worse than 20 4 times during Peyton’s time (minus 2011 debacle). Most of the time we had a decent defense scoring wise. You wanna know why that is...even when people look at our teams and say how is that possible...those defenses weren’t that great??? Well there is more than one way to have a great scoring defense...sure you can go all out signing guys and drafting or you can target a few key positions and rely on your offense to control the ball limit the oppositions time of possession...force opponents to play from behind and play into the strength of your defense. A great offense can be your best defense. When your defense is well rested...playing ahead and can pin their ears back it helps them. You can have Star Wars offense and it make your defense better. We have had great defenses and lost...great offenses and lost. Sometimes it just takes playing good timely defense and offense to win it all. We won the SB with a 23rd ranked defense. We also had great defenses and let a horrible young Ben Rothlisburger and a backup Billy Volek beat us in the playoffs. I’m not here to say we should draft all offense or defense...I’m sure we will try to be well balanced in our approach but one thing is for sure...when you have a weapon like Andrew Luck...a great qb...you want to try to maximize that advantage over your opponent..not play down to their level. He needs weapons too...he can’t carry this team all on his own. While I may agree or disagree with people I respect their opinions. I might think they are wrong and Ballard might go one way or another it does no good to call people names and put down their thoughts and opinions. It just makes you look like a jerk....and I don’t think you want to come off like that. There is a lot of good people on here and most important we are all on the same side. Save the vitriol for the Pats lol.

18 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Agree with the OP. We need a new hope....

You don't often leave a ton of posts, but when you do drop some wisdom, it is always priceless BHC. A true Jedi master at impeccably placed sarcasm. :hat:

Hades, I'll bet you could even pull off the Princess Leia cinnabon look with style & flair too. You know make it your own.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just so you know during those Manning Star Wars number years we actually had some very good defenses...including the #1 defense in 2007 and #2 defense in 2005. We also had top 10 defenses 5 times and only defenses worse than 20 4 times during Peyton’s time (minus 2011 debacle). Most of the time we had a decent defense scoring wise. You wanna know why that is...even when people look at our teams and say how is that possible...those defenses weren’t that great??? Well there is more than one way to have a great scoring defense...sure you can go all out signing guys and drafting or you can target a few key positions and rely on your offense to control the ball limit the oppositions time of possession...force opponents to play from behind and play into the strength of your defense. A great offense can be your best defense. When your defense is well rested...playing ahead and can pin their ears back it helps them. You can have Star Wars offense and it make your defense better. We have had great defenses and lost...great offenses and lost. Sometimes it just takes playing good timely defense and offense to win it all. We won the SB with a 23rd ranked defense. We also had great defenses and let a horrible young Ben Rothlisburger and a backup Billy Volek beat us in the playoffs. I’m not here to say we should draft all offense or defense...I’m sure we will try to be well balanced in our approach but one thing is for sure...when you have a weapon like Andrew Luck...a great qb...you want to try to maximize that advantage over your opponent..not play down to their level. He needs weapons too...he can’t carry this team all on his own. While I may agree or disagree with people I respect their opinions. I might think they are wrong and Ballard might go one way or another it does no good to call people names and put down their thoughts and opinions. It just makes you look like a jerk....and I don’t think you want to come off like that. There is a lot of good people on here and most important we are all on the same side. Save the vitriol for the Pats lol.

I mean I don’t want to come off as a jerk. Just think of it as tough love. We need to build a defens around Luck, not offensive weapons. 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

you know i would disagree with you but then i remembered how the browns 2012 with the 3rd pick went for quote on quote the best back in the draft at the time and we all saw how that turned out so Bring on Chubb or Smith!!!

Can’t compare Trent to Barkley. Too completely different skill sets 

20 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Rings > Star Wars numbers 

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Character and honor > rings

5 hours ago, buccolts said:

O.K., we're not talking football anymore here, are we?

Nope, we just stepped into the land of Mordor. I love the messed up minds of my friends on here. Deviations rock! 

Where the hades is Gandalf with the Eagles anyway? Gandalf is the best, but for a wizard he's notoriously tardy man. Just sayin'. Okay, I'll shut up now. Carry on...

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Nope, we just stepped into the land of Mordor. I love the messed up minds of my friends on here. Deviations rock! 

Where the hades is Gandalf with the Eagles anyway? Gandalf is the best, but for a wizard he's notoriously tardy man. Just sayin'. Okay, I'll shut up now. Carry on...

That star wars and lord of rings crap is for nerds living in their parent's  basement hanging out with "the boys" and playing D&D Cuz they are too scared to talk to girls.

On January 18, 2018 at 10:44 PM, Andrew Luck fan club said:

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

I couldn't agree more. People can look back at the Peyton era with nostalgic goggles all they want , but we made massive mistakes. 

There is no way Tom Brady should be considered a better QB than Peyton - but he is , because we built our teams wrong and Dungy's defence was WAY too predictable for a certain rival all-time great QB and coach combination.

Dungy's scheme needed great players in specific positions , otherwise we'd get abused by any good team. There was no chess-match , there was no inventive schemes , no exotic blitzes , nor mixing man with zone ; there was literally nothing that masked our deficiencies or confused opposing coaches or quarterbacks. Everyone knew what we were going to run , and THE ONLY reason we won as much as we did was because of Peyton. I don't give a damn what our total defences were ranked in specific years. We all know the symbiotic relationship between offence and defence. You think that defence would have been "ranked" as high as it was (sporatically) if we had anyone other than #18 at QB? The answer is no.

We never had a great defence with Peyton , that's the truth. We had a 4 game hot streak with Booger and Bob Sanders (finally) being healthy. That's not enough to qualify as "great".

How many times did we hear announcers talk about the opposing teams running the ball on us "to keep Peyton off the field"? You think Brady had that issue?! Do you think experts are talking out of their * when they say the run game is vital in the playoffs? Or do I have to hear another asinine retort about how "we build our defence to play with a lead!".... Ugh , it makes me want to puke , another limiting philosophy by Polian....

Or " we play in a dome"! Sweet , so that means you need the best record in the AFC every year for your team to operate properly. Again - LIMITING...

Lets take a look down memory lane:

Sidenote: Keep in mind how different (worse) these stats would be if we had a QB of lesser quality. Hint : Look at the YPA

Polian/Peyton (1998)

Run defences (yards allowed/yards per attempt aka "keeping Peyton off the field) :                 

1998-  Yards allowed (YA): 2nd worst , Yards Per Attempt (YPA): Worst
1999- YA: 14th worst , YPA :  6th worst
2000- YA: 7th worst , YPA:  11th worst
2001- YA: 7th worst, YPA:  3rd worst    

Dungy arrives:

2002- YA: 13th worst, YPA: 12th worst.  Playoffs : 41-0 loss  (New York Jets, Road)  42 carries 180 yards allowed.

2003- YA :13th worst, YPA: 10th worst.  Playoffs: 41- 10 Win (Denver @ the Dome) 26 carries 146 yards 
                                                                              38-31 Win ( Kansas City , Road) 30 carries 196 yards
                                                                              24-14 Loss (New England, Road) 32 carries 112 yards                        

2004- YA: 9th worst, YPA: 2nd worst.   Playoffs: 49-24 Win (Denver @ the Dome) 21 carries 78 yards
                                                                             20-3 Loss (New England, Road) 39 carries 210 yards (we had 46)

2005-  YA : 16th , YPA: 5th worst.        Playoffs:  21- 18 Loss (Steelers @ the Dome) 42 carries 112 yards
(Pittsburgh had 10 more minutes of possession , and Ben made 14 pass completions, LOL)

2006- YA: Worst, YPA: Worst (#18 is incredible) Playoffs: 23-8 Win (KC @ the Dome) 17 carries 44 yards
                                                                                          15-6 Win (Baltimore, Road)  20 carries 83 yards
                                                                                          38-34 Win (New England @ the Dome) 24 carries 93 yards
                                                                                          29-17 Win (Chicago , Superbowl) 19 carries 111 yards

2007: YA: 15th , YPA : 7th Best            Playoffs:  28-24 Loss (San Diego @ the Dome) 33 carries 99 yards (we had 44)

2008: YA: 9th Worst, YPA: 13th Worst   Playoffs: 23-17 Loss (San Diego, Road) 33 carries 167 yards (we had 64) 

2009: YA: 9th Worst, YPA: 14th Worst  Playoffs: 20-3 Win (Baltimore @ the Dome) 19 carries 87 yards (we had 42)
                                                                             30-17 Win ( Jets @ the Dome) 29 carries 86 yards
                                                                             31-17 Loss (Saints , Superbowl) 18 carries 51 yards (Brees 32 of 39)

2010: YA: 8th Worst , YPA: 7th Worst Playoffs:  17-16 Loss ( Jets, @ the Dome) 38 carries 169 yards

Peyton is injured for the year /Polian's final:

2011: YA: 4th Worst , YPA 17th

Now, this doesn't include the simplistic nature of our pass-defence either , but I thought it was a pretty good indication on what #18 had to overcome.

Conversely, lets look at Brady:

2001:  YA: 13th worst , YPA: 11 worst.  Playoffs : Win (77 yards Oakland), Win (58 yards Pittsburgh) Win (90 yards St.Louis). Superbowl Ring

2002: YA 2nd worst , YPA 4th worst    Miss the Playoffs. .... Oh, wonder why?

2003: YA 4th best, YPA 6th best.    Playoffs : Win (84 yards Titans) , Win (98 yards Colts) , Win ( 92 yards Carolina)
Superbowl Ring

2004: YA 6th Best, YPA 11th best.     Playoffs: Win (46 yards Colts) , Win (163 yards Pittsburgh), Win (45 yards Philly)

You guessed it , Superbowl.

2005: YA: 8th best , YPA:  4th Best . Playoffs: Lose to Denver

2006: YA: 5th best , YPA: 10th Best.  Playoffs: Lose to Colts

2007: YA:10th best, YPA: 5th Worst  Lose to Giants in SB

2008: YA: 15th, YPA: 15th  go 11-5 with Matt Cassel LOL

2009: YA: 13th Best, YPA: 10th Worst.   Playoffs: Lose to Baltimore

2010: YA: 11th Best , YPA: 15th.   Playoffs: Lose to Jets

2011: YA: 17th, YPA: 8th Worst.   Playoffs: Lose to Giants in SB

2012: YA: 9th Best, YPA: 6th Best.  Playoffs: Lose to Baltimore

2013: YA: 3rd Worst, YPA: 7th Worst.  Playoffs: Lose to Denver

2014: YA: 9th Best, 10th best.     Playoffs: Win SB vs Seattle

2015: YA: 9th Best, YPA: 15th  Playoffs: Lose to Denver

2016: YA: 4th Best,  YPA: 10th Best.  Playoffs: Win Superbowl                                              

2017: YA: 17th , YPA: 2nd Worst. Playoffs: TBD

You know why we won the Super Bowl? Because Polian FINALLY got a good DT (Booger), after years and years and years. He finally used another avenue besides the draft to get a good player. What a novel idea! Imagine if the Patriots only relied on the draft for a decade ? Jesus, there's no chance Belichick would limit himself like that.--It's asanine. 

Polian's refusal to be creative in the free agent or trade market , Dungy's beyond basic and player-reliant Tampa 2 , our over-investment in skill positions, Polian's reliance on the draft for improvement EVERY YEAR - (which means when he had a poor draft WE DIDN'T IMPROVE ---outside of existing players improving).

I could go on and on, but it boils down to Belichick being far more intelligent than Dungy and Polian. Every year the Patriots would make bold moves and reinvent themselves , while we continued to the same thing over and over , putting everything on Peyton's shoulders.

You guys can look back at Peyton's time and want to replicate it all you want. And to some extent I understand that , because it beats the hell out of the Grigson/Pagano/Luck era , but we should look back at that time fondly AND critically. There's a lot of mistakes, we as fans, and the Colts organization itself,  can learn from that era if we choose to.

I'm * off that Peyton won't be unanimously thought of as the best of all-time , because personally, I think it could've been prevented.

And another thing , I think Andrew still has the potential to be the best QB in the game. How about we don't make the same mistakes?

You surround a great QB with a defence and an O-line, and you can win anytime , anywhere. We shouldn't have to bank on getting homefield throughout every year. It's limited thinking.

Build your damn team to win on any field , in any city.

21 hours ago, Smonroe said:

In 2012 JJ Watt had a career year, the Texans made the playoffs (but the Colts shut him done in their last game that they really needed).

In 2013 JJ Watt had another great year, the Texans were 2-14.

So, for those people citing the Browns taking a RB at 3 and how it backfired, I’ll say that you can get the best D player in the draft and it may not mark a difference either.  

I sure won’t complain if we take Barkley!

It's a different situation because they didn't have the quarterback. We (hopefully!) do.

Look at the way the league is trending. It's all about building a defense that can limit the opposition or having a quarterback who can elevate the play of those around him. If you have both them you're basically the Pats. 

Between 2011 and 2016 we spent only 5 of a possible 18 high draft picks on defense (with 4 of those being 3rd rounders!!!) and we've basically been swimming against the tide of the NFL.

I've never seen a fan base so occupied with offense. It's time to look at what the Championship teams are doing and replicate it.

Edited by ClaytonColt

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Between 2011 and 2016 we spent only 5 of a possible 18 high draft picks on defense (with 4 of those being 3rd rounders!!!) and we've basically been swimming again at the tide of the NFL.

I've never seen a fan base so occupied with offense. It's time to look at what the Championship teams are doing and replicate it.

I think the beauty of hiring McDaniels is that he complements Ballard perfectly in one important area;

McDaniels has the potential to move this offense forward in a big way while I have come to see Ballard as having his strengths in finding and building a solid defense.

Look, I’m not just looking at what Ballard has done for our defense last off season, it just occurred to me that he has always been more involved with the defensive side of football. 

I know that Ballard has helped draft quality offensive players too, so maybe I’m just have this feeling since he worked as a defensive coordinator way, way back.

7 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Both were great running backs both were hard to bring down and both had break away speed. Not sure were they don't compare at.

How about the fact Trent had the luxury of one of the best O-lines in college football that season, whereas it's the complete opposite in Barkley's situation.

Comparing the two of them is dumb.

33 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

How about the fact Trent had the luxury of one of the best O-lines in college football that season, whereas it's the complete opposite in Barkley's situation.

Comparing the two of them is dumb.

quit swimming in the weeds my friend your missing the main point. it would be dumb to pass up on Defense with the 3rd pick if we are converting to a 4-3 defense. All i said earlier was when the browns picked 3rd it didn't turn out in there favor down there road.

8 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Both were great running backs both were hard to bring down and both had break away speed. Not sure were they don't compare at.

Trent had the better offensive line. Plus he did not have vision. We saw that first hand here when he would just run straight every time he got the ball.

4 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's a different situation because they didn't have the quarterback. We (hopefully!) do.

Look at the way the league is trending. It's all about building a defense that can limit the opposition or having a quarterback who can elevate the play of those around him. If you have both them you're basically the Pats. 

Between 2011 and 2016 we spent only 5 of a possible 18 high draft picks on defense (with 4 of those being 3rd rounders!!!) and we've basically been swimming against the tide of the NFL.

No one would argue against having a good D and O.  My point, apparently not made well, was in response to someone saying we shouldn’t pick Barkley at 3 because Trent was a bust.  Even a great D player doesn’t carry a team. 

But to your point, it’s an O league. Very rare occasions a team wins solely on D.  Denver did it, but they had the best game manager ever.  Jax great defense gave up about 500 yards passing and 5 TDs but won.   A great O can win games with an average D.  

10 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Trent had the best oline in football, nowhere near the lateral quickness, speed, hands, or vision...Not to mention, Barkley has  great character traits, intangibles, and a much higher IQ...Nothing to compare..

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

But to your point, it’s an O league.

I'm not sure it purely is. It's a quarterback league no-doubt about it but that's double edged.

If you've got an elite quarterback then you're a play off team. If you've got a defense that can control the opposition when it matters then you're a play off team. If you have both then your a serious contender. It's no coincidence that all 4 teams still competing have top 5 defenses.

We have 1 (hopefully) but we don't have the other and we've neglected it for too long by focusing on putting tools around Luck rather than building a defense that limits what Luck needs to do to win.

It's reflective of what we did during Peyton's era and while we were massively fun to watch it did count against us when it was crucial.  

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not sure it purely is. It's a quarterback league no-doubt about it but that's double edged.

If you've got an elite quarterback then you're a play off team. If you've got a defense that can control the opposition when it matters then you're a play off team. If you have both them your a serious contender. It's no coincidence that all 4 teams still competing have top 5 defenses.

We have 1 (hooefully) but we don't have the other and we've neglected it for two long by focusing on putting tools around Luck rather than building a defense that limits what Luck needs to do to win.

It's reflective of what we did during Peyton's era and while we were massively fun to watch it did count against us when it was crucial.  

Yeah, I can’t argue against having a balanced team.  

I don’t want to make this a history lesson, but didnt we lose just about every playoff game during the Peyton/Dungy era because the O was stopped?   Both SD games, Pittsburgh (although there were extenuating circumstances), one of the NE games?