Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rumors: Cardinals, Bruce Arians To Part Ways In ‘Amicable’ Split

HOF19

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

PFW/arkush is reputable source.   But would his ties to Pagano hinder him from considering coming here?  Maybe that's naive on my part to think that.

You may be right. It is common knowledge that Pagano and Arian are best of friends.

IMO I just can't see Arian's having anything to do with Pagano losing his job and replacing him.

3 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Does anyone else remember the long developing downfield plays that got Luck hammered every other play? His offense would probably finish Luck off. I would rather not see him back in Indy for Andrews safety.

I was thinking the same thing.   

There's conflicting reports on this. Bruce Arians even came out denied it. I don't know what to believe, wouldn't be surprised if he stays/gets fired/retires.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000898807/article/bruce-arians-report-im-leaving-cardinals-fake-news

But to answer the question, I'd probably pass. Luck's taken enough of a beating.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may be right. It is common knowledge that Pagano and Arian are best of friends.

IMO I just can't see Arian's having anything to do with Pagano losing his job and replacing him.

That's what i was thinking but then again business is business and there are only 32 of those jobs available.  

2 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Does anyone else remember the long developing downfield plays that got Luck hammered every other play? His offense would probably finish Luck off. I would rather not see him back in Indy for Andrews safety.

I see your point but if Ballard can fix the OL through FA and the draft it could work.  That said I think he's retiring due to his health issues.  I think he's turning 65 and does he really want the stress?  My guess is his family is saying time to retire.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

That's what i was thinking but then again business is business and there are only 32 of those jobs available.  

This is true but Arian's hasn't done all that well in Arizona the last couple of years. Matter of fact worse than Pagano considering what he has had to work with.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I see your point but if Ballard can fix the OL through FA and the draft it could work.  That said I think he's retiring due to his health issues.  I think he's turning 65 and does he really want the stress?  My guess is his family is saying time to retire.

He was retired when Pagano called him so you could be right.

45 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Fuzzy memory. That wasnt what got Luck hit.....

....It might have been something to do with the line....like it did after Bruce left

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

....It might have been something to do with the line....like it did after Bruce left

IMO Bruce will not have any part of taking Chuck's job. I just think they are too good of friends. Bruce would have never had the head coaching job had Chuck not have brought him to Indy.

Also I just can't see Irsay wanting the drama with doing that. Ballard is in the picture so I  think he will have more to do with hiring a new head coach.

24 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fuzzy memory indeed. Tim Couch was battered in Cleveland under Bruce.  Steelers fired him because Ben was taking a beating.  And yes, Bruce played a big role in luck getting hit.

13 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Fuzzy memory indeed. Tim Couch was battered in Cleveland under Bruce.  Steelers fired him because Ben was taking a beating.  And yes, Bruce played a big role in luck getting hit.

Yep. Dont forget two season ending injuries to Carson Palmer. Bruce's offense get QB's killed. Funny how people rip Chud for the long routes but turn around and want Arians.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I had forgotten about Couch. He got pounded and injured right out of football.

10 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yep. Dont forget two season ending injuries to Carson Palmer. Bruce's offense get QB's killed. Funny how people rip Chud for the long routes but turn around and want Arians.

It's the same offense, built on the same principles. Arians is probably a better play caller than Chud, but he's working with the same ideas.

29 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Didn't Palmer's backup get knocked out for the season a couple yrs ago?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

No thanks. I'm not sure why everyone is so in love with Bruce Arians to begin with. 

He didn't do very well in the playoffs with some very good teams.  

He's also partly responsible for Luck getting destroyed in the pocket as much as he did his rookie season.

Bruce has said before this was his last job. I believe him. Seems like a great motivator but motivation isn’t a problem around here...it’s execution and design. Fresh start would probably be best for the organization. I imagine we will go a lot younger anyways...it’s envogue

Luck, Watson, Rodgers, Wentz, etc....wow, Arians somehow ended a lot of seasons.  Look, I vaguely remember Arians saying Luck wouldn't check to his RB in the flats.  Instead he waitied for something downfield and got clobbered   Luck does that no matter who coaches him.  

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Luck, Watson, Rodgers, Wentz, etc....wow, Arians somehow ended a lot of seasons.  Look, I vaguely remember Arians saying Luck wouldn't check to his RB in the flats.  Instead he waitied for something downfield and got clobbered   Luck does that no matter who coaches him.  

No matter who coaches Luck, they run an offense that relies on downfield passing. This is a chicken/egg situation, but what's obvious is that all of Luck's pro OCs have used a playbook that's based on Coryell principles -- throw the ball downfield first and foremost. I want to see Luck run an offense that doesn't call on the QB to hold the ball.

By the way, Bruce Arians is the same guy who said that backs were meant for running the ball and blocking for the QB, not catching passes. He also uses empty backfield sets more than any other coach in the NFL. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/24059/bruce-arians-asks-his-tackles-to-block-in-empty-sets-more-than-any-team

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

No matter who coaches Luck, they run an offense that relies on downfield passing. This is a chicken/egg situation, but what's obvious is that all of Luck's pro OCs have used a playbook that's based on Coryell principles -- throw the ball downfield first and foremost. I want to see Luck run an offense that doesn't call on the QB to hold the ball.

By the way, Bruce Arians is the same guy who said that backs were meant for running the ball and blocking for the QB, not catching passes. He also uses empty backfield sets more than any other coach in the NFL. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/24059/bruce-arians-asks-his-tackles-to-block-in-empty-sets-more-than-any-team

I want to throw more screens as much as anyone, and do not want Arians back, but he did do pretty well with throwing to Johnson. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Strange, every qb that plays for Bruce holds the ball, waits for something to develop downfield and gets clobbered.  Just coincidence I suppose.

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

If he had never been injured, I would say he would never want to run an offense like you are talking about, but this injury may have changed his mindset.  I think Arians system could work and Luck could be more careful, but like it's been said, I don't think Arians comes here anyway.  I think Ballard will want one of his guys. 

12 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

If he had never been injured, I would say he would never want to run an offense like you are talking about, but this injury may have changed his mindset.  I think Arians system could work and Luck could be more careful, but like it's been said, I don't think Arians comes here anyway.  I think Ballard will want one of his guys. 

He ran a shorter passing game at Stanford and was very successful at it. Very high completion percentages and not nearly as many turnovers as hes had in the pros. The Arians system was a complete 180 to what he ran in College. Im of the mindset that Arians was the one that taught him to always look for the big play and instilled some of his bad habits.

11 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He ran a shorter passing game at Stanford and was very successful at it. Very high completion percentages and not nearly as many turnovers as hes had in the pros. The Arians system was a complete 180 to what he ran in College. Im of the mindset that Arians was the one that taught him to always look for the big play and instilled some of his bad habits.

At Stanford, he rolled out of the pocket, he threw across the field, he ran for long yards and lowered his head, he tackled interceptors, ....he was a wild guy like he is now.  

12 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think there is any truth to the story. 

Arians called it "fake news".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000898807/article/bruce-arians-report-im-leaving-cardinals-fake-news

Haven't you seen enough of coaches denying such reports only to see the report be proven true once the season ends?

There is too much smoke here for there not to be a fire. 

16 hours ago, wig said:

I want to throw more screens as much as anyone, and do not want Arians back, but he did do pretty well with throwing to Johnson. 

Admittedly, yes. His comment about not throwing to backs is four years old now. But he did say it, and it was cringe-worthy.