Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Rumors: Cardinals, Bruce Arians To Part Ways In ‘Amicable’ Split

HOF19

15 hours ago, LockeDown said:

If he had never been injured, I would say he would never want to run an offense like you are talking about, but this injury may have changed his mindset.  I think Arians system could work and Luck could be more careful, but like it's been said, I don't think Arians comes here anyway.  I think Ballard will want one of his guys. 

I'm not sure what kind of offense you think I'm talking about, but if you think I want to turn Andrew Luck into Alex Smith, think again. 

I'd be happy if we just threw a hot route against off coverage every once in a while.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure what kind of offense you think I'm talking about, but if you think I want to turn Andrew Luck into Alex Smith, think again. 

I'd be happy if we just threw a hot route against off coverage every once in a while.

Oh then we agree.  

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Haven't you seen enough of coaches denying such reports only to see the report be proven true once the season ends?

There is too much smoke here for there not to be a fire. 

Did someone hack your account? Not a response I would expect from you. 

I think if Arians does leave Arizona then he will retire. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Ok.....

So you don't like the Rob Chudzinski or Bruce Arian offense...     Fair enough.

But now you don't like the Andy Reid offense, which is the opposite.

So whose offense do you like?   Belichick?    Ok.    Anyone else?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok.....

I think he likes the Erhardt-Perkins system of offense that the Patriots, Panthers, Giants, Chargers and Steelers run now. Broncos with Peyton ran it too. This is a good article about how the system has evolved and its flexibility:

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/erhardt-perkins-system-part-2/

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

Hey, it does tell me both Brady and Peyton are system QBs. :) 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok.....

I didn't say I don't like the Andy Reid offense. It's a WCO and Andy Reid is one of the best play callers of all time (my main knock on Reid is his game/clock management, but he's a brilliant play caller; that said, Nagy has breathed new life into the Chiefs offense over the last month). But it's basically the polar opposite of the Coryell, and Alex Smith most of his career has been the polar opposite of Andrew Luck -- risk averse, quick to dump off, much shorter depth of target, etc. I don't want Andrew Luck to play QB like Smith has most of his career.

To Smith's credit, he's been excellent throwing downfield this season, which is a significant departure from what he's been known for.

Only problem I have with the WCO is the complicated verbiage, which is a similar issue with the Coryell.

In that regard, I do prefer the EP, like chad72 said. The verbiage is mostly code words that call out route combinations on either side of the play, and then the QB calls out the protection at the line. You can do that with any offense, but EP is known for being lean and mean, and more versatile on a weekly basis. It is my preference, but I don't mind the WCO at all. In order, I'd said EP, then WCO, then Coryell.

But... Norv Turner's Coryell attack incorporates some WCO principles, which I believe makes it somewhat superior to other Coryell attacks, but it could just be that Turner is a better play caller than the Coryell guys the Colts have had. Sean Payton is the opposite of Turner -- he runs a WCO that incorporates some Coryell principles, and again, he's a top tier play caller.

And while EP is my preference, I don't want Clyde Christensen back, mainly because I don't think he's a very good play caller, even though he's a firm EP guy. He's with Gase, a guy who picked up a lot of EP stuff from his time with Manning and McCoy, but Gase is calling the plays. Much like Manning mostly called the plays in Indy.

There are lots of offenses I like, lots of play callers I like. But most importantly, the right combination of OC and play caller are critical, no matter what system they run.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think he likes the Erhardt-Perkins system of offense that the Patriots, Panthers, Giants, Chargers and Steelers run now. Broncos with Peyton ran it too. This is a good article about how the system has evolved and its flexibility:

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/erhardt-perkins-system-part-2/

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

Hey, it does tell me both Brady and Peyton are system QBs. :) 

By the way, if anyone wants some detailed reading about the EP offense, these two links are excellent resources.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

There's conflicting reports on this. Bruce Arians even came out denied it. I don't know what to believe, wouldn't be surprised if he stays/gets fired/retires.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000898807/article/bruce-arians-report-im-leaving-cardinals-fake-news

But to answer the question, I'd probably pass. Luck's taken enough of a beating.

Arians is 65 years old and has had some health issues (thankfully, it seems like he's put cancer behind him).  Aside from what others have mentioned regarding him drawing up long plays which allow Luck to get hammered, I am a bit concerned about his age/health.

I, for one, would like to see the new coach (assuming we get one) be a bit younger and one who will be able to spend the next 10+ years with a healthy Andrew Luck building this team into a dynasty.  In Andrew's 5 years (excluding this because of injury) he's had 3 or 4 different offensive schemes he has played with, next year will likely be another one.  He's a very sharp guy, so it may be easier for him to adjust to that than other QBs but boy would it be nice to have a coach come in here and give some long-term stability to offensive scheme and play-calling.

On 12/26/2017 at 5:33 PM, HOF19 said:

IF.....IF True would we be interested in bringing Bruce back ?.....Story link >>>>>>https://nesn.com/2017/12/nfl-rumors-cardinals-bruce-arians-to-part-ways-in-amicable-split/

No

hell no

* No

His system gets the QB killed. We’re just now possibly getting Andrew Luck back, no way donI want to see him in Bruce’s system ever again.