Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can We Really Let Go Of Reggie?

bap1331

Think of all the times he has helped the team in general. He has been a huge factor on the offense and makes incredible catches. He is very dependable too. Can anyone really match his skill? We cant have a rookie play his position unless he is really prepared to. Wide receiver isnt really a position where age matters AS MUCH. Look at Randy Moss at his age. We can always have someone switch with him.

What do you think?

It's his age and the way he's approached things so far... Reggie sounds like he wants to be let go and he should.. if Reggie signs a 3yr contract with the colts by the time it ends he'll most likely be 37.... that money and contract is best spent somewhere else.

I think in general, that good and healthy veterans should be retained, AND backups/successors should be drafted. This would be a way to rebuild the team, when vets are helping (tutoring) rookies. I think this way talents won't be wasted, it would be a kind of "learning by doing".

i completely agree. the biggest part in any team is transitioning in age. If we eliminate all the veterans then you have a bunch of rookies running the team and will only take longer to develop the team. Letting Peyton go so Luck can take over is a big mistake. Luck is a high prospect but doesnt mean he will be an immediate impact.

The Buccaneers are having hard times developing the team because all the veterans left around at the same time. The team got old and they had to transition to a rookie team.

The Ravens are strategizing well as they bring in new players every year that are developing WITH veterans like Ed Reed, Suggs, Ngata, Ray Lewis, and so on!

Completely cleaning the house is a great way to start new but has disadvantages. Especially since the coaching staff has to build chemistry all over again with the team. Things wont be the same so it can atleast start with bringing back veterans.

i completely agree. the biggest part in any team is transitioning in age. If we eliminate all the veterans then you have a bunch of rookies running the team and will only take longer to develop the team. Letting Peyton go so Luck can take over is a big mistake. Luck is a high prospect but doesnt mean he will be an immediate impact.

The Buccaneers are having hard times developing the team because all the veterans left around at the same time. The team got old and they had to transition to a rookie team.

The Ravens are strategizing well as they bring in new players every year that are developing WITH veterans like Ed Reed, Suggs, Ngata, Ray Lewis, and so on!

Completely cleaning the house is a great way to start new but has disadvantages. Especially since the coaching staff has to build chemistry all over again with the team. Things wont be the same so it can atleast start with bringing back veterans.

And then came along the Salary Cap. Those NFL authorities do a good job of spoiling our development plans. We'll keep who we can afford to keep, who is worth keeping and who wants to stay on the money offered etc.

I think we all know what Reggie has meant to this franchise. I was sick when Marvin Harrison was set free.....Edge.....Faulk.

I like braveheart's final phrase "and who wants to stay on the money offered." If Reggie wants a 3 yr deal he should be willing to work within the cap. My thought he will go for the most money. (I know a shocker)

He has stated he is not 'opposed to going to the Pats." That is enough for me tell let this bird fly. I wish players had the loyalty as they once did to teams and vice versa. Bottom line is this is a business on both sides. What makes 'fiscal sense?'

If Peyton comes back I am not as worried if we let go of Reggie. We have seen Peyton turn guys like Collie, White, Clark, and Stokely into more then what they really are. We could probably bring in a solid vet who will be turned into a impactfull WR out there for much cheaper.

Now if we go the Luck route I think it would be insane not to bring back your most productive and most consistent receiving weapon. Clark and Collie pretty much no showed this past season without Peyton. Garcon had a good year, but we can all agree that Garcon is probably our most inconsistent WR on the team. The guy can make an amazing catch down the sideline with one hand, but then three plays later on a third and five he will drop an easy slant pass and cause us to punt the ball.

I think with a rookie you need the reliable play from Reggie to just keep things stable out there. What I would like to see is Reggie kept for a couple seasons and then draft a rookie WR to evenutally replace him. Ideally I would like to keep Garcon because the guy can make some plays out there. I just wish the guy learned how to catch the ball more consistently.

Why would Reggie want to come back to team most likely rebuilding with a new starting QB?

He likely only has a few productive seasons left so why would he waste them with a rookie QB on a team likley not going to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons??

If he were 30 then that would change things, but as he's turning 34 next season that's probably not a guy you want to sign to a mega contract when you're rebuilding....or who would even want to be here.

Hopefully the Colts can find a guy in this draft or the next to be Andrew Luck's Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne.

Before the season the players voted Reggie as one of the current Top 100 NFL Players...now he needs to be gone? Where did you get the production? Has he missed a snap? You think you can just draft a receiver in at least the 2nd round or go to FA (and pay) and just plug them in like some interchangeable parts and get the same production?

Why would Reggie want to come back to team most likely rebuilding with a new starting QB?

He likely only has a few productive seasons left so why would he waste them with a rookie QB on a team likley not going to the playoffs in the next couple of seasons??

If he were 30 then that would change things, but as he's turning 34 next season that's probably not a guy you want to sign to a mega contract when you're rebuilding....or who would even want to be here.

Hopefully the Colts can find a guy in this draft or the next to be Andrew Luck's Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne.

Reggie held out of mini camp a while back. It's all about the money. Nothing else, IMHO.

If Reggie does leave (which he probably will), it'll be because he will price himself out of Indy. All that aside, his attitude towards this whole situation has been terrible. You keep hearing him come out and complain like a baby about how no one has talked to him about anything yet. I've lost a lot of respect for him. Have you heard Mathis talk about his contract situation? What about Garcon? What about any other Colts free agent? His attitude has really rubbed me off the wrong way and I wouldn't be upset if he left. Sure, he did a lot for the team, but that was when things were good for him (had a contract, had a good QB throwing him the ball, was on a contending team, etc.). Now, when he faces some adversity (doesn't have a contract, doesn't want to be back in Indy because they aren't a contender, near the end of his career, etc.), he craves attention and makes a big deal out of it. A wise man once said "a person's true character is shown in times of adversity".

If Reggie does leave (which he probably will), it'll be because he will price himself out of Indy. All that aside, his attitude towards this whole situation has been terrible. You keep hearing him come out and complain like a baby about how no one has talked to him about anything yet. I've lost a lot of respect for him. Have you heard Mathis talk about his contract situation? What about Garcon? What about any other Colts free agent? His attitude has really rubbed me off the wrong way and I wouldn't be upset if he left. Sure, he did a lot for the team, but that was when things were good for him (had a contract, had a good QB throwing him the ball, was on a contending team, etc.). Now, when he faces some adversity (doesn't have a contract, doesn't want to be back in Indy because they aren't a contender, near the end of his career, etc.), he craves attention and makes a big deal out of it. A wise man once said "a person's true character is shown in times of adversity".

adversity doesn't build character it reveals it

I am rather indifferent to this situation. There is no rule that says a rookie qb needs an old vet wr. Look at what Andy Dalton and A.J. Green did this year. Reggie is a great player, but if he wanted to come back he wouldn't have said, "I'm not going to make it easy for them." With the way he has been talking to the media, I feel like if next season were rocky, he would become a cancer. If we go the route of Luck, is Reggie going to go to the media when he isn't getting balls? Reggie just concerns me with the amount of money he wants and his whole attitude. And Irsay calls Peyton a politician?

Age and production has nothing to do with why they prob wont retain him. its the contract size that will be the factor. if he wants big money the colts will let him walk. especially since they can get Garcon back and put collie on the other side of him at the #2 WR and draft a WR and start him in the slot. im not worried about the WR situation the colts have been pretty good at getting WR's where as since 97 they have drafted 2 HOF potential WR's in Harrison and Wayne. Garcon has the ability to be alot better and to even be a star WR in the NFL, Collie if he can get away from concussions could be a very good WR. Clark i dont see as a TE anymore as i do see him as a slot WR. they just need to work on one more offensive lineman an draft a WR (hopefully to try to get another Dalton/Green duo in the NFL with luck and a rookie WR) but the main issue will be the defense. i give the colts 2 or 3 years before their superbowl contenders again, but more of a defensive team then an offensive team, but with luck i believe the colts then will have a power house if he can become the QB he has the potential to be.

Reggie's a great player, but he's not what we need if we're going to have a rookie quarterback. I wouldn't have him on the chopping block if he were still under contract, but having to offer him a nice contract with a sizable signing bonus and build a team that can compete just doesn't seem like a valid option based on where we are cap-wise.

And I don't think it's fair to ask Reggie to take less than the market will bear just to stay here. If he can make $10-15 million more by leaving (he'd be a great fit in Arizona, where he wouldn't be a #1 threat), then he should go get paid what he's worth.

Any WR that backs wanting Curtis Painter to start at QB has an elevator that doesn't go to the top... Probably because Painter was the only one throwing Wayne the ball... I think Wayne is a great WR but has past his prime and needs to move on... unless he agrees to a cap friendly contract... I agree with everyone else who says his attitude needs some adjusting...

there is no way on earth we match what another team will offer.

thanks for the mems, reggie. I will still wear your jersey.

Word! Sucks but we gotta watch him walk. Dude has gas in the tank and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Patriots swoop in on Wayne. They took a similar chance on a much more convoluted and questionable veteran in #85.

I agree with everyone else who says his attitude needs some adjusting...

I don't get it. His attitude is just fine. We were 2-14 last season, and not only did Reggie not complain about the horrid quarterback play, none of the other receivers did either, which is a testament to his leadership as the veteran member of the corps. He sticks up for his teammates (like how he defended Painter over Collins at the beginning of the season), he plays hard no matter what, and he never complains. Has a good sense of humor. He's not the typical diva receiver (which is surprising since he went to Miami, but neither is Andre Johnson).

It seems people only want players who toe the company line. Then people complain when players say the same old nonsense on interviews. Reggie is a complete person with a personality.

Think of all the times he has helped the team in general. He has been a huge factor on the offense and makes incredible catches. He is very dependable too. Can anyone really match his skill? We cant have a rookie play his position unless he is really prepared to. Wide receiver isnt really a position where age matters AS MUCH. Look at Randy Moss at his age. We can always have someone switch with him.

What do you think?

What I dislike most about possibly watching Reggie go elsewhere is the lost leadership on offense. Sure he's got gas in the tank to the tune of at least two more productive years, but he's got as much value in leadership as production. If Manning doesn't return, Saturday retires and Reggie goes..........who's left. We're talking ground floor up on that side of the ball when it comes to leadership. Guys with some tenure like Addai, Garcon, Collie and even the oft injured Dallas Clark aren't in those leadership roles.

And then came along the Salary Cap. Those NFL authorities do a good job of spoiling our development plans. We'll keep who we can afford to keep, who is worth keeping and who wants to stay on the money offered etc.

so Reggie isn't worth keeping? You want it all to fall on rookies and te the week to week catching abilities of Garcon? He still has more ability at his age than most of the young big name recievers out there. MO he maybe the best route runner in the NFL. I think we keep him. If the QB spot goes to a rookie to start he will need a reciever that can get open and make the catch. If PM starts, it would be nice fore hium to have familiar faces to look for down field.

so Reggie isn't worth keeping? You want it all to fall on rookies and te the week to week catching abilities of Garcon? He still has more ability at his age than most of the young big name recievers out there. MO he maybe the best route runner in the NFL. I think we keep him. If the QB spot goes to a rookie to start he will need a reciever that can get open and make the catch. If PM starts, it would be nice fore hium to have familiar faces to look for down field.

he's 34..Am....

thats harsh.

Yeah I probably could have phrased that better. It just irks me when some act as if Reggie was as good as Marv. He wasn't in Marv's class but he was a very good receiver for us in his own right. Nevertheless, his departure (at this stage of his career) isn't something that I think the Colts couldn't recover from if it were to happen.