Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden

dudley dawson

No he doesn’t.  The man has been out of coaching for a long time after taking a Super Bowl team and regressing in a big way with it.  If the Colts want to interview him fine but he doesn’t deserve a blank check just to get him here.  There is only one coach in the NFL like that right now and he’s not leaving the evil empire.  

Nope.  We have a young and talented GM, a team that is trending to being young and talented (with another strong draft to help), why would we not look to bring in a young and talented Coach to try and look to build something lasting?  Maybe bring in some old heads as coordinators, but we should not be looking to the past.

8 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Sigh... looks like we need to reset the “Days since last Hire Gruden topic” sign. 

Why do we all assume he’d be a magic bullet?

Because we are desperate and can't think of any other magic bullets.  There aren't really any other coaches who compare to the hoodie.  He has a monopoly right now.

Just now, LockeDown said:

Because we are desperate and can't think of any other magic bullets.  There aren't really any other coaches who compare to the hoodie.  He has a monopoly right now.

Part of why BB is BB is having total control of footballing matters, so are you saying you want Ballard gone and one guy in to run it all? 

I’m just not so sure Gruden is as good as people make out.

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Part of why BB is BB is having total control of footballing matters, so are you saying you want Ballard gone and one guy in to run it all? 

I’m just not so sure Gruden is as good as people make out.

Not at all.  I'm a big Ballard fan.  I was just giving you an answer for why others bring a Gruden up.  I personally don't think he would ever do it.  

37 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Not at all.  I'm a big Ballard fan.  I was just giving you an answer for why others bring a Gruden up.  I personally don't think he would ever do it.  

I get you. I mean I can understand why.. but the myth of Gruden doesn’t seem to marry up to coaching record. 

Irsay tried to get him and Manning last offseason.  Was listening to JMV's show a week or so ago and he had Kravitz on there and both agreed that Irsay would likely pursue both of them again after this season.  Irsay does not want another first time head coach so that will eliminate a lot of names.

2 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Irsay does not want another first time head coach so that will eliminate a lot of names.

should disqualify manning then

hes probably my favorite player ever,  but im sold on him as a head coach.  

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

should disqualify manning then

hes probably my favorite player ever,  but im sold on him as a head coach.  

Did not want Manning as a coach. He wants Manning in a front office type role. The belief is that Manning declined last year because he felt he was not ready yet for  the job.

46 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Irsay tried to get him and Manning last offseason.  Was listening to JMV's show a week or so ago and he had Kravitz on there and both agreed that Irsay would likely pursue both of them again after this season.  Irsay does not want another first time head coach so that will eliminate a lot of names.

That was before firing Grigson and hiring Ballard. With Ballard in place, I don't see him going after either of them next year. It'll be Ballard's guy with Irsay's backing.

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I've been a very vocal advocate of hiring Gruden, but I don't think that will happen.  I think Dave Toub is our future head coach

Agreed. 2 HC interviews this past off season and he's had a couple more in the past. I think it's been his job for awhile. Pagano just keeping the headset warm for him. 

18 hours ago, Shive said:

No chance he could work with Ballard. He'd want way too much control. Add in the fact that he hasn't coached in a LONG time and it's a hard pass for me..

How do you know he'd want "way too much control"?  You're just making an assumption.  He might be perfectly happy with Ballard.

10 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

How do you know he'd want "way too much control"?  You're just making an assumption.  He might be perfectly happy with Ballard.

Because that's what he's had in the past and practically everything that's come out in the last decade about John Gruden coaching again says he'd want Belichick level control.

I was anti Gruden but after seeing this season so far can it get worse?

Besides, at the end tonight Gruden sounded like he missed working with young guys in football when they showed a clip of the Redskins chanting or something and he was gushing over it.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Understandable but even Belichick couldn't win a game with this roster.

Now you just went ahead and opened up a whole new can of worms for people to debate. Somehow on this forum Mr. Belichicken can do NO WRONG.

47 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

& people think Chucks 'chopping wood' & 'rolling ball of butcher knives' comments are comical, itd be a new catch phrase every week with Gruden...

I am not too sure how Gruden could survive not having a camera to light up for all the time. :D