Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't think we are too far off

CR91

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh most certainly you've brought it up before.    Sure you have

Please quote me then.  I'm sure I haven't because I forgot we even gave up 46 in that game.

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Just a comment about the conservative defense thing.  I don't believe the technique is new to the Colts...the team's coaching staff has been doing this as long as I can remember - and that goes back a longgggg ways.  :^)

I agree with you.  That was my point.  We played like that going back to the Dungy days.  And we don't have the luxury to play that way right now.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

My question was is it really insane to believe we can or will beat the Titans?

Are they really playing good football right now?   The answer is no and that is on both sides of the football.    

If Mariota is going to play, yes.  It's not to say we CAN'T win but its a terrible "bet."  It's like betting or believing that we would win vs the Seahawks.  A team at the time that was playing like garbage and who looked to have one of if not the worst offensive line in the league.  I'm betting many fans THOUGHT we had a good chance but in reality we didn't.  COULD we have won that game or any game, yes but that just goes to the anything can happen mythology.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, tikyle said:

Please quote me then.  I'm sure I haven't because I forgot we even gave up 46 in that game.

I agree with you.  That was my point.  We played like that going back to the Dungy days.  And we don't have the luxury to play that way right now.

If Mariota is going to play, yes.  It's not to say we CAN'T win but its a terrible "bet."  It's like betting or believing that we would win vs the Seahawks.  A team at the time that was playing like garbage and who looked to have one of if not the worst offensive line in the league.  I'm betting many fans THOUGHT we had a good chance but in reality we didn't.  COULD we have won that game or any game, yes but that just goes to the anything can happen mythology.

Did I make any bets?   I did say it was possible and I'm not even talking very low chances.  We have a decent chance to beat that team.   They aren't that good.

Even with Mariota.   He'd make it harder, but it's not out of the question.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Is the season over with?   And does any of that mean we can't beat a good team?  Of course it does not.   Certainly you know that.  And does the 2-3 record of our next opponent mean they are good?   2-3 doesn't mean you are good.   

I honestly believe by the end of this season this team could clear cut be the best team in the division, but miss the playoffs and be the favorites to win the division next year.  This team is missing only 2 key players, an ILB who can cover and another edge rusher.  That's assuming all of our starters are healthy next year of course.  I think the O line is shaky but good enough to win this division next year.  I do think this season is over in terms of making the playoffs.  I don't think it's over in terms of team building and finding out who are keepers and who we should let walk.

2 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I honestly believe by the end of this season this team could clear cut be the best team in the division, but miss the playoffs and be the favorites to win the division next year.  This team is missing only 2 key players, an ILB who can cover and another edge rusher.  That's assuming all of our starters are healthy next year of course.  I think the O line is shaky but good enough to win this division next year.  I do think this season is over in terms of making the playoffs.  I don't think it's over in terms of team building and finding out who are keepers and who we should let walk.

We'll see what happens.  I don't think the season is over.

I do think we could beat at the very least 2 out 3 of our next opponents.

Especially the Bengals and probably the Titans.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

We'll see what happens.  I don't think the season is over.

I do think we could beat at the very least 2 out 3 of our next opponents.

Especially the Bengals and probably the Titans.

I just wish we would get some more creative play calling (especially on defense).  Watching those two teams last night attack when it was a close game with everything on the line was refreshing to see.

Just now, tikyle said:

I just wish we would get some more creative play calling (especially on defense).  Watching those two teams last night attack when it was a close game with everything on the line was refreshing to see.

Yes we have some things we need to improve upon most certainly.

11 minutes ago, tikyle said:

YES!!!  The one thing I like about the second half of this season is we are getting healthy (for now) while others are getting hit with injuries.  Be an interesting finish.

Recap of the thread so far: Some people think we're not too far off from being a contender, especially with a few returning starters.

Some people think we will win against the Titans and possibly the following two games, (a 4-game win streak), or at least 2 out of 3.

Someone pointed out that we have only won games against teams with a combined 0-10 record and we have the 31st ranked defense. They were immediately called out, and told that the offense and their turnovers where the main reasons for the losses.

Conclusion: We have the 31st ranked defense, an ineffective offense that turns the ball over too much, and yet, we are close to becoming contenders.

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

some people wont be happy unless the team gives up and tanks

Tanking won't help us this year unless you could guarantee a top 3 pick so we could trade it for a haul.  And teams like the Giants and 49ers and Browns are making that guarantee extremely hard to see.  I mean realistically we could make a trade from the #10 draft position just as easy as from the #18 position.  It just depends on who's on the board and who's willing to reach.  With this roster overhaul and youth movement, it's time for these guys to learn HOW to win vs tanking for more talent/picks.  You can get caught into the Browns vortex if you go tank too much.

Tanking won't help us this year unless you could guarantee a top 3 pick so we could trade it for a haul.  And teams like the Giants and 49ers and Browns are making that guarantee extremely hard to see.  I mean realistically we could make a trade from the #10 draft position just as easy as from the #18 position.  It just depends on who's on the board and who's willing to reach.  With this roster overhaul and youth movement, it's time for these guys to learn HOW to win vs tanking for more talent/picks.  You can get caught into the Browns vortex if you go tank too much.

i agree that we wont get a top three pick because others are worse than us, and they play in tougher divisions.  plus we beat two of the worst, so they would get the draft tie breaker

we may not win the south, but we will get a few games at least

Interesting comments from Hasslebeck on Brissett

Q: What have you seen in Jacoby Brissett?

A: I see a guy that sees an opportunity. There’s a real need. In a way, they needed an answer to a prayer. And they got it. They needed somebody to save the day. They just needed somebody to get them to 2-2 or 2-3, and I think he’s better than that. I think he’s special.

He has a tremendous amount of poise, and he’s given them some oomph. He gives them hope. He’s a starter in this league, I think, and if you lose the number and the name you’ll see that. The danger is he’s done such a good job, they’re starting to (offensively) call games like how they’d normally call games.

Sometimes you forget it’s a young player who just got here at the start of the season. At the start, (for Brissett), the call sheet was super small, and they just allowed him to go out there and play football. There were going to be growing pains. He has to learn his teammates, if that makes sense. Each receiver has strengths and weaknesses ... there was a play with T.Y. (Hilton) on the sidelines Sunday (against the 49ers). He was wide open, and Brissett kept it and scrambled for like four yards. He’ll learn soon that the more you get the ball to T.Y. in space, the better.

I think everybody in the building has been impressed by him. Andrew, who I’ve talked to, definitely is. And you take into account he was playing with a backup center (for his first three starts), he’s been more than they could’ve hoped for. Overall, I think this is a team with a little bit of hope right now. After preseason game No. 2? I was more like, ehhhhhh...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/10/13/matt-hasselbeck-q-a-andrew-luck-jacoby-brissett-and-crazy-2015-season/761154001/

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Focus on LB and OL in draft and off-season.  That alone should get this team real close to where we want it.

Also look at  WR, RB, safety  , BPA (always) to continue to build dept. Gores age, decision to be made on moncrief, and  davis, etc could make a wr attractive (for $ value) in draft.  I'm not comfortable giving moncrief big $ right now.

Andcontinue to build depth OVERALL to improve total roster.  We have to build so we have young guys teady to take over when starter contracts get bigger. Build thru the draft.  Ballard seems  to be getting us back on that track to build depth.

but at minimum, improve LBs (a stud MLB would be ideal) and OL and we're a solid team on paper, imo. 

Hopefully add a no-nonsense, disciplinarian who is well organized and calm under pressure at head coach.

Ok, so we just need to improve everything but QB and DLine with our next draft.

That's a lot to ask, but I think our GM can do it.

I believe Chris Ballards' magic wand is 11 inches long and made of holly, with a phoenix-feather core.  Very powerful.

harry-potter-wand.jpg

2 hours ago, krunk said:

It's not about cookies although I like them.  Especially with Milk!

It's about identifying the points in the game where you did not play well

and getting those areas fixed.    Like the costly offensive turnovers that played a big

influence on what happened defensively.   Why arent you speaking about this?  You just want us to believe that we're just trash.  Is that why?

Because he's one of those fans that only point out the negative, constantly in the outhouse. 

4 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Hairston has been exceptional. And only in the first 5 games? I hope he stays here a long time. 

Every CB gets beat sometimes. Like Peyton said "you can't defend the perfect throw" but then there are few who can make it perfect consistently, like Rodgers did throwing to DaVante Adams covered by Jourdan Lewis in the Cowboys game. The first attempt at the end zone, it wasn't perfect and Jourdan was able to defend it but the next one, Rodgers had a perfect line, where only his WR could catch it, vintage ARod.

Having said that, it is good to know that because I am 100% certain our secondary will be tested in our own division by DeShaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins, big time. 

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

This team is missing only 2 key players, an ILB who can cover and another edge rusher.  That's assuming all of our starters are healthy next year of course.  I think the O line is shaky but good enough to win this division next year.  I do think this season is over in terms of making the playoffs.  I don't think it's over in terms of team building and finding out who are keepers and who we should let walk.

Another ILB and another CB. We can't cover worth a crap. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Having said that, it is good to know that because I am 100% certain our secondary will be tested in our own division by DeShaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins, big time. 

Vontae Davis has always been exceptional in coverage vs Hopkins. I think we'll be ok this year, but when Luck comes back and doesn't have to deal with Whitney Mercilus and Watt and Bouye, we should be scoring pretty well on the Texans

36 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, so we just need to improve everything but QB and DLine with our next draft.

That's a lot to ask, but I think our GM can do it.

I believe Chris Ballards' magic wand is 11 inches long and made of holly, with a phoenix-feather core.  Very powerful.

harry-potter-wand.jpg

I said LB and continue building (adding to) OL.

the other areas arent weakness s but , maybe its just me, but i believe you should be looking to upgrade ALL positions all the time:  ballard has been doing this.  Anywhere you are getting long in the tooth, or contracts coming up, you must look at options.  (Hence the wr and rb poseibility statement)

you can play with your little magic stick, i'll take the old fashioned way.

dont go off the deep end and take every word every prrson says to the extreme.

LB and OL.  Its the 1st sentence i typed i think.

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

I said LB and continue building (adding to) OL.

the other areas arent weakness s but , maybe its just me, but i believe you should be looking to upgrade ALL positions all the time:  ballard has been doing this.  Anywhere you are getting long in the tooth, or contracts coming up, you must look at options.  (Hence the wr and rb poseibility statement)

you can play with your little magic stick, i'll take the old fashioned way.

dont go off the deep end and take every word every prrson says to the extreme.

LB and OL.  Its the 1st sentence i typed i think.

haha  I actually agree with everything you said, I'm just having some fun joking around.

I think Ballard will do everything you said.  He may even improve the DLine while he's at it.

It's because of his magic wand.  Irsay may be a muggle, but he hired the right guy.  :thmup:

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

haha  I actually agree with everything you said, I'm just having some fun joking around.

I think Ballard will do everything you said.  He may even improve the DLine while he's at it.

It's because of his magic wand.  Irsay may be a muggle, but he hired the right guy.  :thmup:

I think its funny how quickly Ballard gained our "trust."

BEFORE the offseason, draft, etc.  we were all on board after we heard him speak in his first press confrrence.

i'm not expecting much from this season, but i'm optimistic for the future.  And who knows, we could get healthy and surprise prople.  It wouldnt be the first time.

We are not too far off.  Even this year we are not too far off.  It's remarkable how we have stayed close to first place in our division with a QB acquired during the season and all of the injuries and not forgetting missing Luck of course.  Players are getting healthier.  Rookies and newly acquired players are getting better and making huge contributions.  A true testament to the fine job Ballard did in the off season. I am really looking forward to the upcoming match ups, especially in our division.  These games are wide open.  We could easily take those division games.  I'm in the minority but I like our match ups in both of them.  We now have a defense that can stop the run and create turnovers.  This season is far from being over.  I am expecting Ballard will have another great off season and will fill some of our holes.  If we are able to win the division or make the playoffs without having Luck for half of the season the coaching staff should receive some accolades. That would be a huge accomplishment considering all the player turnover and early season injuries.  It's a marathon and we are still in the hunt and very close actually.    There is a lot to be optimistic about IMO. 

46 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Another ILB and another CB. We can't cover worth a crap. 

The coverage stats are bad but the players are there, I think/hope.  I think it's more scheme and them growing (and getting healthy).  Your coverage is only as good as your pass rush is.  Plus I think TEs having been killing us more than WRs really.  The middle of the field is where we give up most of our yards.  A pass rush will fix most of that.

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

C'mon man!  We literally have the WORST defense in the NFL and we are playing with a backup QB.  The two teams we've beat are a combined 0-10.  We lost to a 2-3 Cardinals team (who's 2nd win was those 0-5 49ers) and our other 2 loses have been by a combined 60+ points.  Please live in reality.  This team has a long way to go.  Saying we'll go 11-5 or win the next three is lunacy.  Let's just hope we get better every week.

It is not about record but matchups. We match up better against the titans jags and bengals

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

It is not about record but matchups. We match up better against the titans jags and bengals

Please tell me how we match up better vs the Titans than the Seahawks matched up against them?  Or better yet, tell me how we match up better vs the Titans than we did vs the Cardinals or the Browns or the 49ers (all games we won or lost by 3)?  This is going to be interesting.

Please tell me how we match up better vs the Titans than the Seahawks matched up against them?  Or better yet, tell me how we match up better vs the Titans than we did vs the Cardinals or the Browns or the 49ers (all games we won or lost by 3)?  This is going to be interesting.

Titans secondary sucks. Titans like to run the football and we are much better at stopping the run this year. Titans did well versus seahawks because the seahawks are weak versus teams that run well. Being that we werent good at running and handed them the game with turnovers and penalties that is why they beat us.

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Titans secondary sucks. Titans like to run the football and we are much better at stopping the run this year. Titans did well versus seahawks because the seahawks are weak versus teams that run well. Being that we werent good at running and handed them the game with turnovers and penalties that is why they beat us.

You basically just described the 49ers but with a better QB, running game, TE, secondary, hell overall offense and overall defense.  Would you not agree?

4 hours ago, tikyle said:

C'mon man!  We literally have the WORST defense in the NFL and we are playing with a backup QB.  The two teams we've beat are a combined 0-10.  We lost to a 2-3 Cardinals team (who's 2nd win was those 0-5 49ers) and our other 2 loses have been by a combined 60+ points.  Please live in reality.  This team has a long way to go.  Saying we'll go 11-5 or win the next three is lunacy.  Let's just hope we get better every week.

Lunacy?! The last I heard ( as of a few days ago ) was that despite our travails we were only One game out of first place in our division. Whether that means that we are doing a fair job or that the other teams are Not doing a fair job , I would say that hoping for the next three games to go into the Win , slot especially when we seem to be getting some of our good players back from Injured Reserve, should be at least possible. "Lunacy "seems to be the sort of comments that we would expect from the fans of our opponents instead of from true Colts fans. It makes me wonder why anyone would bother being a supporter of the Colts if he really thought that 3 Colts victories was truly "Lunacy ."

4 hours ago, krunk said:

You're probably talking about an article off their website.  But if you look at what the fans are actually saying in the message boards they don't talk real confident about the game. Get what you're saying though.

You're correct, most of their fans think they’re up and down and hate their coach (sounds familiar).  

It it was kind of funny, the guy who wrote the article said Mariota is the best QB in the division.  He dared “Luck Truthers” to respond.  I said Luck had better stats last year in every category than MM except INTs but he threw 100 more passes.

You should read all the excuses.  Luck had better receivers, Colts have to throw, and my favorite, Luck is ugly.   

55 minutes ago, tikyle said:

The coverage stats are bad but the players are there, I think/hope.  I think it's more scheme and them growing (and getting healthy).  Your coverage is only as good as your pass rush is.  Plus I think TEs having been killing us more than WRs really.  The middle of the field is where we give up most of our yards.  A pass rush will fix most of that.

A rush specialist would be nice on 3rd and long. I just feel our front 7 is improved and applying more pressure but we are still giving up 300+ ypg through the air. Davis hasn't been 100%, but I think press man with Wilson and Davis would be our best defensive scheme with Melvin available for nickel. 

Another thing on the future: I don't know many draft players going into next year and what positions have depth. Depending on that, it would change my opinion on what we should go for first round. 

I think we'll play a much better defensive game against Tenn.  Think we'll get a little bit more into our man coverage schemes also.  We usually come after Mariota a little bit more with the blitz if my memory serves me right.   Whoever is back there I think we are going to bring more heat than what weve done in the past couple games.  We've sacked Mariota 11 times in 3 games along with 3 fumbles so far.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We are not too far off.  Even this year we are not too far off.  It's remarkable how we have stayed close to first place in our division with a QB acquired during the season and all of the injuries and not forgetting missing Luck of course.  Players are getting healthier.  Rookies and newly acquired players are getting better and making huge contributions.  A true testament to the fine job Ballard did in the off season. I am really looking forward to the upcoming match ups, especially in our division.  These games are wide open.  We could easily take those division games.  I'm in the minority but I like our match ups in both of them.  We now have a defense that can stop the run and create turnovers.  This season is far from being over.  I am expecting Ballard will have another great off season and will fill some of our holes.  If we are able to win the division or make the playoffs without having Luck for half of the season the coaching staff should receive some accolades. That would be a huge accomplishment considering all the player turnover and early season injuries.  It's a marathon and we are still in the hunt and very close actually.    There is a lot to be optimistic about IMO. 

We've stayed close to first place because the division sucks and we barely beat 2 winless teams. All of the teams in the division are close to first place. 

On paper we’re slightly improved but still a ways to go. 

Not too far off? Rarely do blowouts happen in the NFL and we’ve already had two. How much further off do you think we can get? I suppose we could be the worst team instead of only in the 28-30 range. We are a million miles from even being competitive with the average teams.

13 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Not too far off? Rarely do blowouts happen in the NFL and we’ve already had two. How much further off do you think we can get? I suppose we could be the worst team instead of only in the 28-30 range. We are a million miles from even being competitive with the average teams.

Rarely do blowouts happen?  Depends on what you consider a blowout...what is a blowout to you 42 points?  I would say if you get beat by at least 28 points (4 TD's) that is a blowout.  There were multiples of those last year alone.

2 hours ago, Thorolf said:

Lunacy?! The last I heard ( as of a few days ago ) was that despite our travails we were only One game out of first place in our division. Whether that means that we are doing a fair job or that the other teams are Not doing a fair job , I would say that hoping for the next three games to go into the Win , slot especially when we seem to be getting some of our good players back from Injured Reserve, should be at least possible. "Lunacy "seems to be the sort of comments that we would expect from the fans of our opponents instead of from true Colts fans. It makes me wonder why anyone would bother being a supporter of the Colts if he really thought that 3 Colts victories was truly "Lunacy ."

I don't feel like debating you on that, but just remember this, who you beat tells a lot more about you than your record.  Remember our back-to-back-to-back 11-5 seasons?  But also remember who we were able to and not able to beat consistently in those seasons.  So it's nice to say 2-3 or 3-2 in first place but make sure you take it into full context and examine the entire picture.  Because the two wins we do have, every other team in this division has yet to play both of those teams and you can assume they will all go 2-0 vs the 49ers and Browns.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

The 06 colts got blownout by the jags and then won the superbowl. This team has some fight in them. I wouldn't be surprised if wee make the super bowl. The keep is staying 500 or better til Luck returns. Plus winning division games. If we were 2-3 with all our players healthy I wouldn't be so optimistic but some of our best players haven't played yet.With Luck Rogers Geathers and swoope returning how can you not think we will be much better?