Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano Press Conference

TKnight24

So we've only got Bostic, George, and Spence at ILB for the Cards game? At least they're capable of putting in decent performances.

I think our offense will actually impress on Sunday but I'm worried that, even with how much he struggled last week, a wily vet like Palmer can do whatever he wants against the secondary. Fitz should have a good game too.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So we've only got Bostic, George, and Spence at ILB for the Cards game? At least they're capable of putting in decent performances.

I think our offense will actually impress on Sunday but I'm worried that, even with how much he struggled last week, a wily vet like Palmer can do whatever he wants against the secondary. Fitz should have a good game too.

I wonder if they'll play Mingo at ILB, or if they'll use a safety at dime. 

1 hour ago, life long said:

As long as whoever starts is preparing as the starter, they should remain as secretive as they are being. Probably no advantage, due to AZ likely assuming they won't trot Tolzien out there again.

The easiest way to prepare for Tolzien is to tell your DB's to just put their hands out and catch the ball.  

In all seriousness I'm not sure they would be too worried if we did start Tolzien.  Thinking "oh man we didn't prep for that guy" would be like thinking as an adult "oh man I didn't study for a first grade math test that I can take while using a calculator."  (And not the crazy common core kind, but like the normal kind.)

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Might be surprised.   Cardinals O line is bad so we might do a little damage out there.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Might be surprised.   Cardinals O line is bad so we might do a little damage out there.

Also they just lost Johnson so they are not going to hand it off all day and use play action like they could have.  They will still try but this allows for more of a benefit for our rush IMO.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

Also they just lost Johnson so they are not going to hand it off all day and use play action like they could have.  They will still try but this allows for more of a benefit for our rush IMO.

I mean we all know Bruce Arians.   He's going to look at that tape and see the struggling secondary and we know what's coming next.   He's going to stand Carson back there and throw 50 deep balls the whole game.   There isn't going to be much running from him between Kerwynn Williams and Chris Johnson.   I have a feeling we'll get a few sacks this game.   Could be wrong but we'll certainly get our chances against this team.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I mean we all know Bruce Arians.   He's going to look at that tape and see the struggling secondary and we know what's coming next.   He's going to stand Carson back there and throw 50 deep balls the whole game.   There isn't going to be much running from him between Kerwynn Williams and Chris Johnson.   I have a feeling we'll get a few sacks this game.   Could be wrong but we'll certainly get our chances against this team.

Kerwynn and Andre Ellington.  They cut CJ and we still have to watch the run but we should hopefully keep that as a non factor and pin the ears back and rush.  Arains is definitely going to want big plays against us and they will get some but we need to limit them.  Get some picks and capitalize.  This is where Hooker hopefully shines on that centerfield stage.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Green is the obvious candidate, but I think they used Farley at dime in camp. I might be thinking of something else... 

If Green is a CB (lol) then we're out of safeties, right?  I like the idea of Mingo in the Dime but Spence looked like he had decent skills there too.  Anyone but Bostic, he's been horrible.

Kerwynn and Andre Ellington.  They cut CJ and we still have to watch the run but we should hopefully keep that as a non factor and pin the ears back and rush.  Arains is definitely going to want big plays against us and they will get some but we need to limit them.  Get some picks and capitalize.  This is where Hooker hopefully shines on that centerfield stage.

I think they signed CJ back.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If Green is a CB (lol) then we're out of safeties, right?  I like the idea of Mingo in the Dime but Spence looked like he had decent skills there too.  Anyone but Bostic, he's been horrible.

I didn't think Bostic was horrible. He got beat once, and he was close. He is limited by his hand, though.

Green at dime would be a modified DB role. Call him what you want, the more they use him, the better, IMO. 

Just now, Superman said:

I didn't think Bostic was horrible. He got beat once, and he was close. He is limited by his hand, though.

Green at dime would be a modified DB role. Call him what you want, the more they use him, the better, IMO. 

I'll give you that Bostic was more effective than Sheard, who's been practically invisible.  But he's not really doing much in there.  Morrison looked decent, but now he's out.  Simon is living up to my expectations though, very good player (and not just because he's a former Buckeye).

If Green is going to play, they should at least teach him how to tackle.  Maybe fine him every time he goes flying in blind with his head down, misses the tackle and takes out one of ours.  Angles are bad too.  I tried watching the All 22 of that game and it was getting me physically sick.  

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'll give you that Bostic was more effective than Sheard, who's been practically invisible.  But he's not really doing much in there.  Morrison looked decent, but now he's out.  Simon is living up to my expectations though, very good player (and not just because he's a former Buckeye).

If Green is going to play, they should at least teach him how to tackle.  Maybe fine him every time he goes flying in blind with his head down, misses the tackle and takes out one of ours.  Angles are bad too.  I tried watching the All 22 of that game and it was getting me physically sick.  

Green will take time, why they are giving him all the reps over Wilson is beyond me.  Sheard was not terrible.  He did not get a sack but he did his job on containment.  Simon is going to be good here I believe.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder what people want to see from Sheard. He's not a premium pass rusher. I think Sheard played fine, not great, didn't make any plays, but he played a decent game.

The only reason I wanted to watch the All 22 was to see Green, and in the end, that wasn't compelling enough. 

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Green will take time, why they are giving him all the reps over Wilson is beyond me.  Sheard was not terrible.  He did not get a sack but he did his job on containment.  Simon is going to be good here I believe.

I'd rather have Wilson take Melvin's reps. 

I agree but I feel like Ted is going to stick with him.  The bad thing is when Davis comes back Melvin will be taking snaps from Wilson and Green.

I can't figure out if they just don't trust Wilson (they said he wasn't in shape in the offseason, and yesterday Monachino said the only thing holding him back is himself, calling him "young"), or if they actually like something about Melvin. 

And it's not just a 'rookies take time' thing, because Hairston played twice as much as Wilson, albeit at a different position. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I can't figure out if they just don't trust Wilson (they said he wasn't in shape in the offseason, and yesterday Monachino said the only thing holding him back is himself, calling him "young"), or if they actually like something about Melvin. 

And it's not just a 'rookies take time' thing, because Hairston played twice as much as Wilson, albeit at a different position. 

I feel like Ted has some type of love for Melvin.  He makes mistakes but I guess in practice he looks damn good.  

Every time I hear him talk about Wilson it is something else.  Like you said he has his little punches and they hold him off the field.  In the preseason he did not look bad at all for a rookie.  To me he seems like someone that should be on the field as much as possible to get real time experience.  He knows how to stay in the hip pocket but maybe in practice he is all hands?  I like Hairston, and I am not a believer in the rookie's take time thing.  Hooker should be out playing Butler and Wilson should be above Melvin for sure.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I feel like Ted has some type of love for Melvin.  He makes mistakes but I guess in practice he looks damn good.  

Every time I hear him talk about Wilson it is something else.  Like you said he has his little punches and they hold him off the field.  In the preseason he did not look bad at all for a rookie.  To me he seems like someone that should be on the field as much as possible to get real time experience.  He knows how to stay in the hip pocket but maybe in practice he is all hands?  I like Hairston, and I am not a believer in the rookie's take time thing.  Hooker should be out playing Butler and Wilson should be above Melvin for sure.

I'm okay with rookies having to earn playing time, especially if they haven't been regular or consistent at practice, or if they're struggling with professionalism in other areas -- playbook, punctuality, participation, etc. There could be any number of reasons they're not playing Wilson more. I hope that changes, soon.

But, in the meantime, we have to be able to do better than Melvin...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm okay with rookies having to earn playing time, especially if they haven't been regular or consistent at practice, or if they're struggling with professionalism in other areas -- playbook, punctuality, participation, etc. There could be any number of reasons they're not playing Wilson more. I hope that changes, soon.

But, in the meantime, we have to be able to do better than Melvin...

I agree and Wilson better fix whatever is needed to get on the field.  We need depth and quality starters.  I am hopeful for Desir as well.  Anything to break the mold.

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I wouldn't don't this. Lemme just say that this is my opinion before NCF comes and here going crazy, but I feel the Colts have always played the favorites games. With Grigson, it was playing washed up vets over ascending rookies. Moncrief lost a lot of snaps to Hakeem Nicks and Andre Johnson his first two years. I think with Grigson gone, it's Pagano who has an issue playing his young guns. But Ted may have some type of crush with Melvin. He shouldn't be starting over Wilson, especially when Vontae gets back.