Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MACK

NDcolt

40 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

If Gore makes the team this year it is not good news for the Colts Running backs. He was a great player. He is now simply too old to play Running back. 

There's no way Gore gets cut. Behind Gore and Turbin, there's pretty much nobody. Gore may have less carries this coming season than prior, but he's the starting running back on this Colt's team.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I agree that Gore will not be cut BUT if we go into the season with a 34 year old running back as our true starting running back then that is a big problem. 

Someone has to step up for sure. No denying that. I'm sure Gore will get less carries and the ball will be spread around more this year. However, if none of our RB's step up besides Gore and Turbin, then we're in trouble. I'm not getting too hyped about a 4th round running back. He could be great but I will wait until the season starts and he gets some playing time before I get too excited.

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

They generated the highest percentage of yards before contact of any team in the NFL last year, had the lowest percentage of runs stuffed of any team, and were third in adjusted line yards while ranking first in adjusted line yards up the middle. Basically, much of what rushing success they did have last year can be attributed to the strength of the offensive line.

So no he is not right and neither are you friend, because the line was a very good run blocking unit. 

So...Gore is pretty well known for having great vision, do you agree?  And, he is also well known for getting small and getting through holes most RBs do not see, much less exploit.  Agreed?  Both of those qualities will yield plays where Gore will (i) avoid a stuff that other RBs will not, and (ii) get a positive yardage, but perhaps not yield a long run because he is diving through the line to exploit the inadequate hole. How many times did you see Gore getting 3-4 yards, but dragging multiple tackers after squirting through the line?  How many times did you see Ferguson (or Turbin for that matter) not find any hole last year, despite a supposedly great line?  How do your stats account for that?  

7 hours ago, A8bil said:

So...Gore is pretty well known for having great vision, do you agree?  And, he is also well known for getting small and getting through holes most RBs do not see, much less exploit.  Agreed?  Both of those qualities will yield plays where Gore will (i) avoid a stuff that other RBs will not, and (ii) get a positive yardage, but perhaps not yield a long run because he is diving through the line to exploit the inadequate hole. How many times did you see Gore getting 3-4 yards, but dragging multiple tackers after squirting through the line?  How many times did you see Ferguson (or Turbin for that matter) not find any hole last year, despite a supposedly great line?  How do your stats account for that?  

It's not as black and white as either of you are trying to make it seem, for just as many times as Gore might have seen a hole that most RBs wouldn't there were plenty of times where if Gore can make 1 tackler miss it's a big gain. The O-line might not be elite at run blocking but they were more than adequate last year Gore and the other RBs need to not just go down when the first guy gets there. 

44 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

It's not as black and white as either of you are trying to make it seem, for just as many times as Gore might have seen a hole that most RBs wouldn't there were plenty of times where if Gore can make 1 tackler miss it's a big gain. The O-line might not be elite at run blocking but they were more than adequate last year Gore and the other RBs need to not just go down when the first guy gets there. 

I'm only asking questions about the quoted stats...actually, I've watched a lot of game film, and frankly there were some, but not many, yards left on the field last year by the RBs as a whole, IMO.  The line needs work on setting second level blocks.  They were terrible last year.

20 minutes ago, A8bil said:

I'm only asking questions about the quoted stats...actually, I've watched a lot of game film, and frankly there were some, but not many, yards left on the field last year by the RBs as a whole, IMO.  The line needs work on setting second level blocks.  They were terrible last year.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I watched every game last year and lots of game film aswell and I felt like most of the time the line would make good blocks and Gore would take what they gave him but couldn't make ANYONE miss and a more explosive back would have made more big plays that would have make our run game look much better. Gore did a good job of seeing the holes the line gave him, better than most RBs would, but was also much less elusive than other teams RBs who got carries.  

11 hours ago, ty4atd said:

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I watched every game last year and lots of game film aswell and I felt like most of the time the line would make good blocks and Gore would take what they gave him but couldn't make ANYONE miss and a more explosive back would have made more big plays that would have make our run game look much better. Gore did a good job of seeing the holes the line gave him, better than most RBs would, but was also much less elusive than other teams RBs who got carries.  

Fair enough.  This  year will be a good opportunity to see where Gore is and where the o-line is, I suspect. I think the O-line will be better, which should give all RBs more opportunities to spring runs.  will be interesting to see who takes advantage of the opportunities created.

6 minutes ago, Smitto said:

The Colts don't have a good run blocking unit... It's barely average.. If anything gore found holes which made the Line look decent. Mack isn't fast either, Turbin is actually as "fast" as him so if you wanna talk about speed don't try and say Mack is a speedster. 

Yeah they did. They generated the highest percentage of yards before contact of any team in the NFL last year, had the lowest percentage of runs stuffed of any team, and were third in adjusted line yards while ranking first in adjusted line yards up the middle.  BUT I guess that's all just hogwash right? Because you say so huh?

Much of what rushing success they did have last year can be attributed to the strength of the offensive line. I watched every game on NFL.com and the holes were there lmao.

And Mack is fast wth lmao had one of the best 10 yard splits at the combine 

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah they did. They generated the highest percentage of yards before contact of any team in the NFL last year, had the lowest percentage of runs stuffed of any team, and were third in adjusted line yards while ranking first in adjusted line yards up the middle.  BUT I guess that's all just hogwash right? Because you say so huh?

Much of what rushing success they did have last year can be attributed to the strength of the offensive line. I watched every game on NFL.com and the holes were there lmao.

And Mack is fast wth lmao had one of the best 10 yard splits at the combine 

A whole lot of good yards before contact does when you're still ranked 23rd rushing with a 4.0avg... 10yd splits? Both Mack and Turbin ran a 4.50... A whole Lotta good that 10yd split did... Surely he would have gotten a faster 40 time if that actually made any difference 

8 minutes ago, Smitto said:

A whole lot of good yards before contact does when you're still ranked 23rd rushing with a 4.0avg... 10yd splits? Both Mack and Turbin ran a 4.50... A whole Lotta good that 10yd split did... Surely he would have gotten a faster 40 time if that actually made any difference 

Bruh the AYC is the running backs stats. 

And 10 yard splits judge explosiveness.. obviously lol. I never called Turbin slow though so idk where this is coming from? I like Turbin but I think Mack has more potential. 

43 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Bruh the AYC is the running backs stats. 

And 10 yard splits judge explosiveness.. obviously lol. I never called Turbin slow though so idk where this is coming from? I like Turbin but I think Mack has more potential. 

Nooo it's the avg rushing yds per Carey for the team as a whole.. Being explosive is something totally different than fast.. Darren Sproles is explosive, Chris Johnson is fast... There's a difference. The 40 time was to show you both backs have the same 40 time and Gore ran a 4.48 at his combine (although that wasn't his slowest) 

24 minutes ago, Smitto said:

Nooo it's the avg rushing yds per Carey for the team as a whole.. Being explosive is something totally different than fast.. Darren Sproles is explosive, Chris Johnson is fast... There's a difference. The 40 time was to show you both backs have the same 40 time and Gore ran a 4.48 at his combine (although that wasn't his slowest) 

You don't generate the highest percentage of yards before contact of any team in the NFL and have the lowest percentage of runs stuffed of any team, and rank 3rd in adjusted line yards && 1st in adjusted line yards up the middle with a bad o-line. They were GOOD at run blocking and BAD at pass blocking. 

And you're bringing up Gores 40 time like he didn't run it a decade ago. You're lost here. I said Mack can thrive behind this line, and then stated facts. But the three stooges wanna argue, you all took an L. I'm done with this lol. 

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You don't generate the highest percentage of yards before contact of any team in the NFL and have the lowest percentage of runs stuffed of any team, and rank 3rd in adjusted line yards && 1st in adjusted line yards up the middle with a bad o-line. They were GOOD at run blocking and BAD at pass blocking. 

And you're bringing up Gores 40 time like he didn't run it a decade ago. You're lost here. I said Mack can thrive behind this line, and then stated facts. But the three stooges wanna argue, you all took an L. I'm done with this lol. 

Man what are you talking about... The Colts were ranked 23rd rushing for a reason... Accept it and hope for the best this season. 

16 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Until you answer my question about how your stats factor RB performance, seems like you never came to the dance.  Run along child.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:51 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Mack Truck OR Mack Attack?  It don't make any difference, they are both deadly. haha

Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be a Mack Nugget.  Chill folks let this guy get off the practice field before we start worrying about nicknames.  lol

On 8/5/2017 at 10:22 AM, UKColt13 said:

Good grief. I'm not saying you did crown him! There were a few posts above my original posts that I though were a little over-zealous. And I just put up a post temper things. Remind people that people often look great in camp and don't workout in game action. Griff Whalen was our camp MVP like 3 years runnin and now is roster bubble material for whoever he's with. It's the nature of camp.

He looks pretty good, I'll openly admit that. Runs well and the stuff I'm hearing out of camp is encouraging, but that's what camp is. It's drills not a game.

I will get excited about players if they perform well. In my book the first 3 practices of camp doesn't count as performing. If he flashes in preseason then I'll join you on that side of the fence. But for now I'm happy sitting on my nice comfortable fence admiring the view below thank you very much.

Nothing I write matters. It's just my opinion. Was a passing comment that didn't really require a 6 paragraph response in my mind, but whatever you're into.

You seen enough of Mack yet?

Future note of reference. I don't pound the table on players unless I really believe in them. And players I pound the table on typically become really good players. 

What you're seeing tonight is what I have seen in his college tape and in camp. 

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Future note of reference. I don't pound the table on players unless I really believe in them. And players I pound the table on typically become really good players. 

Mack is the truth

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

And that's fine. I wasn't attacking you for being excited about a player. I'm excited about him too. Just didn't want people to get ahead of themselves about him after 1 week of camp. 

Im glad to see him do well in game time and hope it continues. But no I haven't seen enough yet. He had 5 carries today. If he can do the same over several weeks in regular season action, then I'll have seen enough and hop off the fence I'm currently sitting on.

Can we have an end to this pointless argument now? He had 5 good carries, you made your point.

19 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

And that's fine. I wasn't attacking you for being excited about a player. I'm excited about him too. Just didn't want people to get ahead of themselves about him after 1 week of camp. 

Im glad to see him do well in game time and hope it continues. But no I haven't seen enough yet. He had 5 carries today. If he can do the same over several weeks in regular season action, then I'll have seen enough and hop off the fence I'm currently sitting on.

Can we have an end to this pointless argument now? He had 5 good carries, you made your point.

I never said there was any attacking by anyone. I am only pointing out there are lessons to be learned. Nothing wrong with learning something, right? I learn new things and skills all the time. 

Would you say that some people have talents that others do not? I think we can agree that most everyone tends to gravitate their time towards things they enjoy. Wouldn't that be fair to say?

Some people believe that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. That may or may not be 100% true. However, I believe after 10,000 hours a person will at least be very fluent in the skill. 

Some people on this board are drawn to explore more about specific portions of football. It can even be a specific position, a set of positions, the art of play calling, salary cap analysis, coaching techniques, and so on.  

Some people pick several portions of football to become an expert in. We even have a couple of completionist on this board. Some people just want to be a fan and watch the game. Whatever the reason, we all come to a board like this and we see all of these personalities with different skillsets. Depending on the persons mentality, it can be a melting pot or a learning paradise. 

I believe it's important to pay attention to people's skillset. Just as a lot of people are still learning on this board, there is also a lot of talent on this board. Some of us have been avidly at our skillset for over 30 years.

We have a wide range of talented people on this board to learn from. We have retired professional sports writers, draft experts, salary cap experts, positional experts, and so on.

A person can also play the odds which is lazy. Sure; a person can say that it's only preseason and we should not get too excited about a player. That pessimistic person would actually be correct a very high percentage of the time.

However, what happens when that person finds himself in a debate against someone who only pounds the table for the really good players? Is that a time to get defensive or is it a time to put on the learning cap? People react differently to those situations. Some are extremely proud and can never be wrong, while others are thankful.