Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis & Dwight Freeney

TKnight24

Well....

It IS a top-5 list and not a more traditional top-10 list.

So,  maybe they were 6th or 7th.    Or 10th?   

Would that be so terrible?   

When it's top-5 of all-time a lot of really great talent is going to get left off....

Even on top-10 lists,  the same applies....

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....

It IS a top-5 list and not a more traditional top-10 list.

So,  maybe they were 6th or 7th.    Or 10th?   

Would that be so terrible?   

When it's top-5 of all-time a lot of really great talent is going to get left off....

Even on top-10 lists,  the same applies....

You can't tell me 2 guys that played for like 2 years together are better than Free & Rob 

Say what you will about the benefits of playing with Peyton Manning as your QB, Freeney and Mathis put up HoF numbers rushing the passer.

Sacks, FFs, Fumble recoveries, QB pressures, these guys got to the QB/RB in the backfield all the time.

We don't win a SB in 2006 without Freeney/Mathis.  They accumulated 200+ sacks together.  They're possibly the best duo, for now.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Say what you will about the benefits of playing with Peyton Manning as your QB, Freeney and Mathis put up HoF numbers rushing the passer.

Sacks, FFs, Fumble recoveries, QB pressures, these guys got to the QB/RB in the backfield all the time.

We don't win a SB in 2006 without Freeney/Mathis.  They accumulated 200+ sacks together.  They're possibly the best duo, for now.

199 sacks 99 FF that's pretty dam good I'd say

first off, That Eagles front 7 was raunchy...Gang Green maybe best front 7 ever.  That being said, they deserve #2... Reggie White & Clyde Simmons were a nasty Due ( not to mention Seth Joyner and Jerome Brown....>.<)  And I agree Decon and Merlin deserve #1.   Neil and Derek were Very tough also.  But i do think our own duo should be where those Broncos are.

On 6/28/2017 at 1:39 AM, akcolt said:

Who were the top 5? Miller and Ware weren't better that's for sure. 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Freeney-Mathis-Absolutely-Snubbed-From-NFL-Pass-Rush-Duos-List/2e180634-6e25-46d6-a980-ed5f7ebdbcdf

EXCERPTs

From 2003 (Mathis’ first year in the league) until 2012 (Freeney’s final season with the Colts), this Indy duo combined for 186 regular-season sacks.

Think about that: over a 10-year span, Freeney and Mathis averaged almost 19 sacks together each season.

.......    but nobody did it better for a longer period of time than No. 93 and 98.

Elliot Harrison's Top 5 0- NOTE are basically individual years, not over a long term period ( whomever owns stocks knows results obtained over long term are worth far  more tax wise than short term - crazy analogy but same thing )

5. Von Miller & DeMarcus Ware, Denver Broncos; 2014-15: The duo averaged more than 10.5 sacks together over this two-year span, and won Super Bowl 50, a 24-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers, to wrap up the 2015 season. Obviously these two were huge pieces of one of the best overall defenses in league history, so while they’re great players, the whole team success stands out.

4. Derrick Thomas & Neil Smith, Kansas City Chiefs; 1990: Thomas erupted with a career-best and NFL-leading 20 sacks that year, while Smith contributed 9.5 sacks — an average of almost 15 sacks between the two of them. These guys obviously belong on this list for this particular season, and many others to follow.

3. Harvey Martin & Randy White, Dallas Cowboys; 1977: Martin and White were co-MVPs of Super Bowl XXII. Martin had an unofficial 20 sacks in a 14-game season that year, while White reportedly had 12.5 sacks. A very deserving duo, though obviously quarterbacks weren’t nearly as protected then as they have been the past couple decades.

2. Reggie White & Clyde Simmons, Philadelphia Eagles; 1991: This duo averaged 14 sacks together that year, and both were First-Team All-Pro defensive ends. They belong, no question about it.

1. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen, Los Angeles Rams; 1967: Two standouts of the Rams’ “Fearsome Foursome,” Jones had an unofficial 26 sacks that year, while Olsen had 11. This Hall of Fame duo should stick, too.

13 minutes ago, bayone said:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Freeney-Mathis-Absolutely-Snubbed-From-NFL-Pass-Rush-Duos-List/2e180634-6e25-46d6-a980-ed5f7ebdbcdf

EXCERPTs

From 2003 (Mathis’ first year in the league) until 2012 (Freeney’s final season with the Colts), this Indy duo combined for 186 regular-season sacks.

Think about that: over a 10-year span, Freeney and Mathis averaged almost 19 sacks together each season.

.......    but nobody did it better for a longer period of time than No. 93 and 98.

Elliot Harrison's Top 5 0- NOTE are basically individual years, not over a long term period ( whomever owns stocks knows results obtained over long term are worth far  more tax wise than short term - crazy analogy but same thing )

5. Von Miller & DeMarcus Ware, Denver Broncos; 2014-15: The duo averaged more than 10.5 sacks together over this two-year span, and won Super Bowl 50, a 24-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers, to wrap up the 2015 season. Obviously these two were huge pieces of one of the best overall defenses in league history, so while they’re great players, the whole team success stands out.

4. Derrick Thomas & Neil Smith, Kansas City Chiefs; 1990: Thomas erupted with a career-best and NFL-leading 20 sacks that year, while Smith contributed 9.5 sacks — an average of almost 15 sacks between the two of them. These guys obviously belong on this list for this particular season, and many others to follow.

3. Harvey Martin & Randy White, Dallas Cowboys; 1977: Martin and White were co-MVPs of Super Bowl XXII. Martin had an unofficial 20 sacks in a 14-game season that year, while White reportedly had 12.5 sacks. A very deserving duo, though obviously quarterbacks weren’t nearly as protected then as they have been the past couple decades.

2. Reggie White & Clyde Simmons, Philadelphia Eagles; 1991: This duo averaged 14 sacks together that year, and both were First-Team All-Pro defensive ends. They belong, no question about it.

1. Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen, Los Angeles Rams; 1967: Two standouts of the Rams’ “Fearsome Foursome,” Jones had an unofficial 26 sacks that year, while Olsen had 11. This Hall of Fame duo should stick, too.

Great assessment of the scenario here with 93 & 98 being left out...

Thanks Bayone, hope all is well!!!

17 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Saw the article  as was e-mailed to me an  e- newsletter, get TWO TIMES,a week a cousin signed me up

When read headline i was furious, came to post it for 1st post in ages and saw already was but had to comment

Had great trip To Richmond Va ( too short ) & stayed with brother & sister in law, saw both nephews & nice in law and got run ragged by 2, 5 & 7 year old great nieces and nephews

Every day is a fight but as i wake that means every day I won

Hope u and yours are fine too

here is link to subsvribe for free

Read instructions, are many things can subscribe to above info from Colt E Newsletter

http://click.email.colts.com/help_center.aspx?s=fdf315767c6d017d77147572&j=fe5e17777067017e7117&l=fe601671746103787011&jb=ff63157472&mid=ff001671756202

20 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I revised mine u liked starting with    

Saw the article  as was e-mailed to me an  e- newsletter, get TWO TIMES,a week a cousin signed me up

just above this with link to get many free colt articles, letters etc

Have a good day, have to go

14 hours ago, nburgmei said:

This stat really messes with my OCD.

We also lost Superbowl XLIV in large part because Freeney was injured.

There's that... and to add to it the lackluster (or absence of) coaching in that game.

But yeah, I don't see how they don't make the list.... blasphemy I say!

10 hours ago, bayone said:

EXCERPTs

Well said Brother!  Deacon invented the term "sack".  Those old Rams Defenses were incredible!

I know sacks didn't become an official stat until 1982(or there about) but I can't imagine another duo in history having more sacks and ff than Freeney and Mathis. Just another example of complete disrespect towards the Colt organization, its players and fans. But, I'm used to it, I got used to it in the seventies, thats right people this has been going on for decades.

18 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

k well that explains it.

I am so glad Mathis called this guy out, he disses the Colts all the time. When confronted he comes up with a clever excuse lmao. Remember, Peyton and Marvin wasn't in his Top 5 Duo's either and he always picks us to go 6-10. Hell in Luck's worst year we have been 8-8.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am so glad Mathis called this guy out, he disses the Colts all the time. When confronted he comes up with a clever excuse lmao. Remember, Peyton and Marvin wasn't in his Top 5 Duo's either and he always picks us to go 6-10. Hell in Luck's worst year we have been 8-8.

This was a colossal miscommunication from Elliot and the NFL. Watching the video below, it says, "Elliot Harrison's Top 5 Pass-Rush Duos". Elliot then says this list is about, "top talented... not necessarily the best... prime of their career, playing together..." Elliot never says over just one year, and instead keeps saying, "of all time," so the totality of evidence implies the listing is based on careers, but if you look at the headlines of each ranking in the video, Elliot actually does label each duo under a single year!

What's worse, when the NFL tweeted Elliot's listing (see above), they omitted the years and Elliot's explanation for how he formed the rankings. I understand Tweets have a character limit, but at the very least the Tweet should have included the years.

You could, however, spin it by saying Elliot hates the Colts so much that he got around them with scrutinized wording. By going by year, he could snub the Colts.