Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah they're just going to be very bad next year anyways.  So if they can get the 2018 from the Nuggets and just hope they suck, Pacers will probably suck so maybe next year they will have 2x high first rounders.

If we sit on $30-$40 mil in cap space we wont be a playoff team

.....subtract the contracts of PG, Teague, Stuckey, Brooks, LaVoy and CJ Miles and add nothing but rookies or rookie contracts (like Mudiay) 

...but I doubt we'll sign no one on July 1

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If we sit on $30-$40 mil in cap space we wont be a playoff team

.....subtract the contracts of PG, Teague, Stuckey, Brooks, LaVoy and CJ Miles and add nothing but rookies or rookie contracts (like Mudiay) 

...but I doubt we'll sign no one on July 1

Yeah I agree but with so many gone especially PG and Teague (possibly) it seems like it would be hard for the Pacers to be a playoff team unless they get some studs.  Not sure who's going to want to come here.  CP3, Blake, other top tier guys are probably going to figure out where they can go to win a championship or at least compete.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I agree but with so many gone especially PG and Teague (possibly) it seems like it would be hard for the Pacers to be a playoff team unless they get some studs.  Not sure who's going to want to come here.  CP3, Blake, other top tier guys are probably going to figure out where they can go to win a championship or at least compete.

I'm guessing everybody cant go 'where they can win a championship' and

A lot of guys are going to be changing teams at the end of this week..

Its funny. I was just reading some Denver web sites and there was the thought that they better get something for guys like Barton and Mudiay because when their contracts run out, they're not going to stay in Denver..why would they?..

..and that getting a star vet like Love in trade  might  be good because 'Who wants to come to Denver'?

I'm not sure we know who we want right now...fans sure don't..... I hope our management does

Edited by oldunclemark
spell
  • Like 1

So, realistically, how long till the Pacers can compete for a championship?

Whatever we get from a PG trade will take a couple years to develop.   I'm not sure I see a top 10 NBA player in the mix.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Whatever we get from a PG trade will take a couple years to develop.   I'm not sure I see a top 10 NBA player in the mix.  

I heard about the 3 team trade with Cleveland and Denver where Cleveland gets PG and Denver gets Love but I haven't heard what we get. Maybe it's a Jimmy Johns Turkey Sub and a small Coke :dunno: Why would we do that stupid trade, that just makes Cleveland better and we get hardly nothing (I actually did hear we may get future picks out of it and maybe Barton but come on!!) I think we should deal with Boston and keep bugging them until we get a decent deal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I think the Pacers played hard ball without any leverage and now are at the point of having to take almost nothing in return.   I'd settle for a middle first round pick now.

Yeah we are kind of screwed but I still think we can get a decent player from Boston (maybe Bradley or Tatum) and maybe a pick for next year because they are 1 great player away from perhaps beating the Cavs. PG would be a perfect fit for them because he matches up well with LeBron. I also think the Lakers want him badly right now, yeah they can wait until next summer but that is still a risk. So Magic could budge and give us Randle and Clarkson and maybe a future pick too which could turn out to be someone great in the future.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we are kind of screwed but I still think we can get a decent player from Boston (maybe Bradley or Tatum) and maybe a pick for next year because they are 1 great player away from perhaps beating the Cavs. PG would be a perfect fit for them because he matches up well with LeBron. I also think the Lakers want him badly right now, yeah they can wait until next summer but that is still a risk. So Magic could budge and give us Randle and Clarkson and maybe a future pick too which could turn out to be someone great in the future.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/26/morning-shootaround-june-26-2017

Faried would also be Cleveland-bound in this trade

At the same time, the Pacers rejected that trade

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718009-paul-george-trade-rumors-pacers-deny-cavs-nuggets-pitch-involving-kevin-love

Denver won't part with enough of their young pieces to make the trade worthwhile for Indy, especially if Faried goes to Cleveland.

• Like 1

What about the Trailblazers as a darkhorse trade possibility?  A big three of McCollum, Lillard, and George could be really fun to watch and could possibly even go head to head with Golden State's Curry/Klay/Durant combo.  Then you could think about putting Nurkic on Dray, or even having George and Nurkic switch back and forth between Durant and Dray.  It would be interesting...

https://rotoden.com/2017/06/22/5-ways-blazers-could-make-splash/

Blazers receive: Paul George, Monta Ellis

Pacers receive: Allen Crabbe, Maurice Harkless, draft picks

https://ipacers.com/2017/06/20/some-realistic-and-unrealistic-trades-for-paul-george/

Blazers receive: Paul George, Al Jefferson

Pacers receive: Allen Crabbe, Noah Vonleh, draft picks

Blazers receive: Paul George

Pacers receive: Allen Crabbe, draft picks

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

What about the Trailblazers as a darkhorse trade possibility?  A big three of McCollum, Lillard, and George could be really fun to watch and could possibly even go head to head with Golden State's Curry/Klay/Durant combo.  Then you could think about putting Nurkic on Dray, or even having George and Nurkic switch back and forth between Durant and Dray.  It would be interesting...

https://ipacers.com/2017/06/20/some-realistic-and-unrealistic-trades-for-paul-george/

Gotta have Swanigan coming home in one of those trades.  

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Gotta have Swanigan coming home in one of those trades.  

I'm not sure if I would want the Pacers to receive Swanigan tbh. I love Biggie, but I'm skeptical how he'll transition to the pros. His lack of athleticism is likely going to be his Achilles' heel in the NBA. That said, you'd be hard press to find a player with a better work ethic than Biggie--the guy's work ethic is insane. He's definitely going to reach his full potential--I'm just not sure if it'll be enough in the end. I hope I'm wrong, but just my 2 cents on Biggie

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

I'm not sure if I would want the Pacers to receive Swanigan tbh. I love Biggie, but I'm skeptical how he'll transition to the pros. His lack of athleticism is likely going to be his Achilles' heel in the NBA. That said, you'd be hard press to find a player with a better work ethic than Biggie--the guy's work ethic is insane. He's definitely going to reach his full potential--I'm just not sure if it'll be enough in the end. I hope I'm wrong, but just my 2 cents on Biggie

I understand what you are saying, but I'd roll the dice.   He's a great rebounder and plays hard.   I would have taken him before Leaf to be honest.   The best I see is that his improvement from Freshaman to Sophmore were huge and he is only 20. 

Portland seems to be pretty satisfied with the pick.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/6/24/15846958/so-your-team-drafted-caleb-swanigan-portland-trailblazers-nba-draft-purdue-boilermakers

So, the NBA Draft has came and gone and your favorite team, the Portland Trail Blazers, drafted former Purdue forward Caleb Swanigan with the 26th overall pick. Any college basketball fan knows Swanigan’s name and the relatively unique skill set he brings to the table. But how does he fit in the NBA? More importantly, how will he fit with the Blazers? Let’s check it out.

Background

Swanigan was one of the top players in college basketball last season. The 6-foot-9, 246-pound forward lit the Big Ten on fire, averaging 18.5 points, 12.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game on 52.7 percent shooting for the regular-season champion Boilermakers.

A first-team All-American, Swanigan set an NCAA single-season record with 28 double-doubles in 35 games. He also stretched out his offensive game, shooting 44.7 percent from behind the arc after not having much of a perimeter game as a freshman.

Swanigan’s found success everywhere he’s been. After reclassifying to graduate high school in three years, Swanigan was ranked ninth in the ESPN Top 100 for the Class of 2015. Indiana’s Mr. Basketball and a McDonald’s All-American, Swanigan entered Purdue as one of the most high-touted prospects in school history.

He came in and was one of the best freshmen in the country in 2015-16, averaging 10.2 points and 8.3 rebounds in 25.7 minutes per game. Swanigan could have left for the NBA after his freshman season, but he came back and validated his decision by greatly helping his draft stock.

What he brings to the table

While Swanigan showed some outside game, he still gets it done inside. The Big Ten Player of the Year has always been a back to the basket guy, and that’s what he’ll need to lean on in the pros. He doesn’t possess overwhelming size, but guys like Zach Randolph have shown that post moves and a feel for the game are good enough to score inside in the NBA.

Defensive is a little more of a question. He looks like he has the wherewithal and willingness to be where he needs to be, but who can he defend? At his size, it’s hard to run around on the perimeter in today’s NBA. He’ll likely have to try to continue to improve his footwork and play in a similar fashion to Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson, laying back on screens and contesting late.

Swanigan will also need to his the glass hard. As always, a defensive possession doesn’t end until there’s a rebound, and Swanigan can do that at a high level. He’ll hope that all the analysts are correct when they say that rebounding is one of the skills that translates the best from college to the NBA.

Swanigan has also shown that he is willing to work, having dealt with major weight issues in high school. He continues to work on his body, increasing his minutes played from 25.7 per game as a freshman to 32.5 per game as a sophomore.

His development also shows in his outside shooting, as he shot 29.2 percent from behind the arc as a freshman and 44.7 percent as a sophomore. His free-throw shooting (71.3 to 78.1) and floor game (1.8 assists per game to 3.1 assists per game) also jumped between 2015-16 and 2016-17. These are all promising signs for a player who just turned 20 in April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not bad 

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd be alright with Crabbe, Vonleh and draft picks. Any of those three trades with Portland would suffice

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/26/morning-shootaround-june-26-2017

Faried would also be Cleveland-bound in this trade

At the same time, the Pacers rejected that trade

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718009-paul-george-trade-rumors-pacers-deny-cavs-nuggets-pitch-involving-kevin-love

Denver won't part with enough of their young pieces to make the trade worthwhile for Indy, especially if Faried goes to Cleveland.

Thanks for the info.

59 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Sources: #Nuggets want to deal. They like #Cavs' Kevin Love and a deal helps them move 3 contracts they want to move. #Pacers still hesitant

I'm glad.  Denver wants to move Faried to Cleveland and probably won't be willing to move Murray or Hernangomez.  Pacers would be getting the short end of the stick, so I'm glad we aren't pulling the trigger

• Like 4

Chris Paul has been traded to Houston for Dekker, Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly.  He intended on signing there so they worked out a sign and trade.  I am not sure why CP3 picked Houston unless Blake goes there too?  They have no one inside and Harden's a ball dominant SG.  The Clippers get younger and replace Jamal Crawford with Lou Williams.  Dekker should start there, they don't have a SF right now.  Very interesting choice by CP3 imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Chris Paul has been traded to Houston for Dekker, Lou Williams and Patrick Beverly.  He intended on signing there so they worked out a sign and trade.  I am not sure why CP3 picked Houston unless Blake goes there too?  They have no one inside and Harden's a ball dominant SG.  The Clippers get younger and replace Jamal Crawford with Lou Williams.  Dekker should start there, they don't have a SF right now.  Very interesting choice by CP3 imo. 

Add George to that team (I'm not sure what they have left to trade) and that's a very interesting big 3 with Paul, Harden, and George.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Yeah I just got a BR update also that Rockets may be interested in either PG or Mellow, or both. . . . . .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718548-paul-george-carmelo-anthony-linked-to-rockets-after-reported-chris-paul-trade

This is just getting insane now.  If the Rockets can land CP3, and Blake, Mellow, or PG they would probably be up to par with the Warriors.  PG would probably be their best bet but again the whole "one year contract," due to PG devaluing himself for the Pacers may deter them from offering something worthwhile.  They would probably be better to go for either Mellow or Blake.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Add George to that team (I'm not sure what they have left to trade) and that's a very interesting big 3 with Paul, Harden, and George.

I don't disagree with you but they have literally nobody inside.  Melo might be able to play power forward.  They still don't beat the Warriors or Cavs with Geroge, Harden and Paul, I think the Spurs could still beat them to be honest.  I don't think they'll get George because he won't re-sign there nor do they have the young pieces to trade that Ind would want.

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I just got a BR update also that Rockets may be interested in either PG or Mellow, or both. . . . . .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718548-paul-george-carmelo-anthony-linked-to-rockets-after-reported-chris-paul-trade

This is just getting insane now.  If the Rockets can land CP3, and Blake, Mellow, or PG they would probably be up to par with the Warriors.  PG would probably be their best bet but again the whole "one year contract," due to PG devaluing himself for the Pacers may deter them from offering something worthwhile.  They would probably be better to go for either Mellow or Blake.  

If they got Griffin they have a shot to beat anyone.  CP3, Harden and George or Melo on the other hand, would be tough but out of GS and CLE league in my opinion.  The Spurs could possibly still beat them.  I think Melo would fit better because he could play power forward.  I don't think Houston has the young pieces that Ind wants to cut loose of George.  Plus I don't think George would re-sign there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't disagree with you but they have literally nobody inside.  Melo might be able to play power forward.  They still don't beat the Warriors or Cavs with Geroge, Harden and Paul, I think the Spurs could still beat them to be honest.  I don't think they'll get George because he won't re-sign there nor do they have the young pieces to trade that Ind would want.

The Warriors won with nobody inside. I'm sure they could sign someone for cheap.  Alternatively, they might be able to convince a decent player to sign with them for cheaper to have a chance of winning a championship.  If they go all out and trade for George and somehow sign Millsap too, they could be dangerous.  I believe they also have Clint Capela and Nene to provide some bodies in the paint

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, Myles said:

If we tank, maybe 5-10 years.

...we'll be the Kansas City Pacers by that time

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, 21isSuperman said:

This is really good stuff, Supe...

Portland has to let Crabbe go because they overpaid him..he's at $19 mil

Harkless gets $10 mil but he's signed for 3 years

Crabbe is a pure 2-guard shooter....44% on 3s  85% from the line...

Harkless averages 10 and 6..a 6-fot-9 forward

I think they're both 25..

If they'd take Monta, the dollars would even out

The first trade would be my choice...and it would send PG west where we'd hardly ever see him

27 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This is really good stuff, Supe...

Portland has to let Crabbe go because they overpaid him..he's at $19 mil

Harkless gets $10 mil but he's signed for 3 years

Crabbe is a pure 2-guard shooter....44% on 3s  85% from the line...

Harkless averages 10 and 6..a 6-fot-9 forward

I think they're both 25..

If they'd take Monta, the dollars would even out

The first trade would be my choice...and it would send PG west where we'd hardly ever see him

And it would create another contender in the NBA, making things more interesting than what it is now with just the Warriors and Cavs

The big rumor going around heavy is that the Celtics are targeting both PG and Gordon Hayward together. And that the Celtics would try to convince PG to stay longer then a year. Still just rumors but worth keeping an eye on!

I could see Hayward to Boston happening, he was under Brad Stevens in college. He is also going to visit Miami though and still speak with Utah. 

Would not mind this happening. Boston would get a lot better and the "Cavs win the east by default" logic will get more dicey. And the Pacers in return would get a good loot that is of value for PG since Boston has more assets. All the trades I read about with Cleveland and L.A. seem kinda lame......

I know PG wants to go to L.A. but IMO it would be hilarious if somehow Boston could sway PG away from them as being such historic rivals. lmao 

Come on Brad work your magic! I can't help it, I will always love me some Brad Stevens. lmao Best nerd in all of sports.:heart:

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Sources: #Nuggets want to deal. They like #Cavs' Kevin Love and a deal helps them move 3 contracts they want to move. #Pacers still hesitant

I have to wonder if nothing happens with the Cavs how all this trade stuff effects team chemistry with especially Kevin Love who has been dangled out on the market it sounds like to everyone.......

If it was up to me and it's not, I would take the current Cavs and keep the big 3 they got and try to build a better bench. And sadly I sometimes think they are stuck with JR Smith and TT too. 

Kevin love has sounded like the only viable moving piece in a trade but I would bet teams have inquired over Kyrie Irving and Gilbert slams down the phone since he don't want to lose Kyrie in case Lebron does leave.

The main issue with the Cavs is when Lebron don't play........they suck. Period. I love Lebron but ugh this team gives me a headache at times.

16 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The Warriors won with nobody inside. I'm sure they could sign someone for cheap.  Alternatively, they might be able to convince a decent player to sign with them for cheaper to have a chance of winning a championship.  If they go all out and trade for George and somehow sign Millsap too, they could be dangerous.  I believe they also have Clint Capela and Nene to provide some bodies in the paint

The Warriors are a completley different monster, they also have the defensive player of the year playing inside(Draymond Green). Also, Klay, Durant and Steph are much better shooters than CP3, Harden and PG13.  The Warriors also have a solid bench, the Rockets didn't have that great of a bench last year and traded like 6 players away for CP3.  If they don't get someone else, I see them being 2nd or 3rd in the West, I think the Spurs are better.  If they get Melo or Paul George(I don't know what trade assets they have to get one of those two) then they can probably make the West Finals but they aren't beating GS.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think teague is gone whether the team wants him back or not.

I agree.  The Pacers should go into a rebuild/retool anyway.  As much as I liked what Teague did - playing with one of the league's best assists/game - I think the Pacers need to look to get younger and better.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If we tank, maybe 5-10 years.

...we'll be the Kansas City Pacers by that time

I don't think they should or will tank.   However getting draft picks and young players can have that affect in the 2017/2018 season.