Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

2 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

The Warriors are a completley different monster, they also have the defensive player of the year playing inside(Draymond Green). Also, Klay, Durant and Steph are much better shooters than CP3, Harden and PG13.  The Warriors also have a solid bench, the Rockets didn't have that great of a bench last year and traded like 6 players away for CP3.  If they don't get someone else, I see them being 2nd or 3rd in the West, I think the Spurs are better.  If they get Melo or Paul George(I don't know what trade assets they have to get one of those two) then they can probably make the West Finals but they aren't beating GS.

Completely agree. The Warriors are literally unbeatable if all of their guys stay healthy. I don't care what the other team can present

• Like 2

interesting article from indystar regarding the pacers history with free agents

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/06/28/pacers-free-agency-ranking-every-player-they-have-signed/421879001/

not a good look when david west is our best signing ever and no one else even remotely sniffed an all star game

no mention of teague, and rightfully so if he leaves after one season imo

34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

interesting article from indystar regarding the pacers history with free agents

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/06/28/pacers-free-agency-ranking-every-player-they-have-signed/421879001/

not a good look when david west is our best signing ever and no one else even remotely sniffed an all star game

no mention of teague, and rightfully so if he leaves after one season imo

I agree with you we don't attract any great FA it's just how it goes 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure. I am still clueless what we will do with PG and not sure this move will have any impact who we trade him too.

I think he'll be more of an advisor, so to speak.  I'm sure Pritchard will have the final say on everything.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Rumors say the pacers are asking for a lot from Boston for pg and they are  calling it unrealistic guess we want the Nets and Lakers picks next year plus starting player(s)

That's not too much at all. Ainge and KP are just playing hard ball with one another

2 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

That's not too much at all. Ainge and KP are just playing hard ball with one another

That is quite a bit to ask for if PG is a 1 year rental imo. If Boston can somehow acquire PG knowing he'll extend his contract with them then it's a fair trade. Otherwise, they'll giving up a lot of assets just to see him go to LA the following season. Wouldn't that be funny if the Celtics was able to acquire and retain PG--considering the history between that franchise and the Lakers?

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Rumors say the pacers are asking for a lot from Boston for pg and they are  calling it unrealistic guess we want the Nets and Lakers picks next year plus starting player(s)

WE should be.....we should be asking for the price of Paul if the resigns there..

If they say no, they can stay with Marcus Smart

1 hour ago, Boilermaker said:

That is quite a bit to ask for if PG is a 1 year rental imo. If Boston can somehow acquire PG knowing he'll extend his contract with them then it's a fair trade. Otherwise, they'll giving up a lot of assets just to see him go to LA the following season. Wouldn't that be funny if the Celtics was able to acquire and retain PG--considering the history between that franchise and the Lakers?

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship.  Many can go several years without even making the playoffs or posting a winning record.  Boston is close to a championship now and they need a few pieces to get them over LeBron in the East and to be competitive against the Warriors in the West.  Clearly, what they have now isn't working since they just lost 4-1 against Cleveland.  When you're that close to a championship, there's a strong argument for going all in and trying to win it all in the next year.  Not only that, but PG - who changes his mind more than he changes his underwear - has said he wants to play for a contender.  If the Celtics can show him that they're in a position to compete for a championship for the next few years and they actually have the pieces to go against LeBron and the Warriors, he might stay.

If Ainge is too scared to pull the trigger, he could end up with the same team he has now.  Good for regular season success, but not good enough to beat LeBron and nowhere near good enough to compete against the Warriors.  So you could stay championship-less now, or roll the dice and try to hang another banner.

10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Not unless Brad meets Gordon halfway here in Indy. That's about the closest Gordon will ever get to here.

apparently PG saying he'd leaving publically,,,,removed any chance of Hayward even talking about coming to Indianapolis..

..looks like the only free agents who will think about us are the ones who cant get a job interview anyplace else

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship.  Many can go several years without even making the playoffs or posting a winning record.  Boston is close to a championship now and they need a few pieces to get them over LeBron in the East and to be competitive against the Warriors in the West.  Clearly, what they have now isn't working since they just lost 4-1 against Cleveland.  When you're that close to a championship, there's a strong argument for going all in and trying to win it all in the next year.  Not only that, but PG - who changes his mind more than he changes his underwear - has said he wants to play for a contender.  If the Celtics can show him that they're in a position to compete for a championship for the next few years and they actually have the pieces to go against LeBron and the Warriors, he might stay.

If Ainge is too scared to pull the trigger, he could end up with the same team he has now.  Good for regular season success, but not good enough to beat LeBron and nowhere near good enough to compete against the Warriors.  So you could stay championship-less now, or roll the dice and try to hang another banner.

I see what you're saying. I would be more inclined to pull the trigger if this was 3 or so years ago before the Warriors as we know them today existed. But there's a lot of uncertainties with an acquisition such as this.

1) As mentioned, will PG stay longer than one year? PG's went on the record saying he wants to play for a contender. However, he prefers to play for the Lakers, who currently is not even in the conversation of remotely contending especially out in the west at the present moment.

2) If the Celtics justify the risk of acquiring PG for a one year rental on the basis of going "all in" for a championship, how good of a chance do they truly have of winning it all even with PG? With PG, I think they have a pretty solid chance of ousting Lebron and the Cavs. However, I don't see the Celtics beating the Warriors in a best of 7 even with George. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe if they add Gordon Hayward then it gets more interesting but that's another if. TBH, I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.

Overall, I think the risks outweighs the benefits of making the aforementioned trade. Sure, if they don't pull the trigger then the team could remain the same for next year. But is that really that bad? All things considered, the Celtics are in a good position for the future unlike organizations like the Cavs. They have plenty of draft picks to build for the future. Furthermore, they have an excellent coach in Brad Stevens who's always going to get the most out of his team. This in turn will attract other notable free agents. If I was Ainge, I wouldn't gamble all of those assets away for a possible championship without knowing for certain that PG's committed to stay long term. That's a desperate move that's not necessary for the Celtics.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not always 

But this time, it is.

We need to settle the PG thing so anyone who wanted to take our offers will know who they're playing with..

Even Jeff Teague is probably waiting on us to decide what trade we make with Paul

I think we'll settle for Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and one (not two) of the high Boston picks.

That allows the Pacers to stay competitive AND get a high pick (Maybe 2 with their own) in 2018

..and it allows Boston to occupy LeBron with PG, take their shot at the title (keep {G away from Cleveland) and keep a high draft choice for 2018 and 2019

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship. 

12 out of 30 nba teams have never won

26 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.

i think thats the idea.  if they get hayward, they think they can extend PG

if they dont get either, they are content to keep their picks and wait out the cavs and warriors.

1 hour ago, Boilermaker said:

I see what you're saying. I would be more inclined to pull the trigger if this was 3 or so years ago before the Warriors as we know them today existed. But there's a lot of uncertainties with an acquisition such as this.

1) As mentioned, will PG stay longer than one year? PG's went on the record saying he wants to play for a contender. However, he prefers to play for the Lakers, who currently is not even in the conversation of remotely contending especially out in the west at the present moment.

2) If the Celtics justify the risk of acquiring PG for a one year rental on the basis of going "all in" for a championship, how good of a chance do they truly have of winning it all even with PG? With PG, I think they have a pretty solid chance of ousting Lebron and the Cavs. However, I don't see the Celtics beating the Warriors in a best of 7 even with George. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe if they add Gordon Hayward then it gets more interesting but that's another if. TBH, I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.

Overall, I think the risks outweighs the benefits of making the aforementioned trade. Sure, if they don't pull the trigger then the team could remain the same for next year. But is that really that bad? All things considered, the Celtics are in a good position for the future unlike organizations like the Cavs. They have plenty of draft picks to build for the future. Furthermore, they have an excellent coach in Brad Stevens who's always going to get the most out of his team. This in turn will attract other notable free agents. If I was Ainge, I wouldn't gamble all of those assets away for a possible championship without knowing for certain that PG's committed to stay long term. That's a desperate move that's not necessary for the Celtics.

That's fair.  But at what point does Ainge want to stop being the Clippers of the East?  It's great to have 50+ win seasons, be ranked #1 or #2 in your conference, and have division titles.  But if there's no championship there, it doesn't mean that much.  Furthermore, at some point, you have to cash in all your assets.  It doesn't help if you're saying "we have assets for the future" every year.  The Celtics are in a position to win now, so their future is now.  This is the time to cash in your assets and make a run for a championship.  Maybe they can acquire Hayward too and really up their chances?  But if they don't make a splash, they don't have any chance of beating LeBron, meaning all of these assets and roster building and great coaching would result in no championships

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think we'll settle for Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and one (not two) of the high Boston picks.

That allows the Pacers to stay competitive AND get a high pick (Maybe 2 with their own) in 2018

..and it allows Boston to occupy LeBron with PG, take their shot at the title (keep {G away from Cleveland) and keep a high draft choice for 2018 and 2019

I think you are right.

Maybe a third team could get involved for Bradley and/or Crowder? Ideally the Pacers get younger players and picks for PG. Bradley and Crowder are both good and have value but they are likely in the deal for salary purposes. I'm guessing KP would prefer younger players/picks if he had the choice.

I love this......I have always wanted Olidipo..

He'll start for us and Sabonis has a lot of potential,.

This is better than draft choices.......we have payers with track records who can contribute next season....

Oladipo is 25..Sabonis just turned 21

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1