Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Tarell Basham, Edge, Ohio

ColtsArmy84

15 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Basham has physical traits similar to Justin Houston. He has a high motor as well. He's the player I wanted in the 3rd round. He's going to be an excellent fit in this defense as an olb.

I don't think he has quite the bend or flexibility that Houston has, but Basham can be a very good rotational pass rusher who utilizes his speed to power pass rush ability. Hopefully he can work with Mathis to add to his pass rush arsenal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStronger said:

Have clips of highlights of the game?

I would have to check my demo reel. If I still worked there I would have access to all of the old sports tapes. Thankfully the station was way behind on technology and we were still doing tape to tape editing and archiving until 2012.

36 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

A pass rusher with size and toughness.  But he relies on bull rush too much and doesn't use his hands effectively.  Because of this, his sack totals suffered.  ( if you think 11.5/season in MAC is suffering).  But his pressures was off the chart.  

Those negative things you mentioned can be corrected by NFL coaches.

• Like 1

This film says it all. Against a better team, he made huge plays, but they had 3 new dbs, so that attributed for their loss. Basham has great quickness and a high motor, love this guy. Ballard did not overlook anyone. 

Even went into coverage on one play, not too bad. Watch this film and form your own opinion on him. I like the ceiling of Ballard's picks. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/28/nfl-draft-2017-second-third-round-grades

TARELL BASHAM, DE, OHIO

GRADE: A

With a safety and cornerback under their belts already, the Colts found themselves a pass rusher at 80. He played a lot of hand-in-the-dirt DE for Ohio, but he really looks the part of a 3-4 edge rusher, which is where he’ll be with the Colts. Very good value at this spot in Round 3.

:thanks:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think he has quite the bend or flexibility that Houston has, but Basham can be a very good rotational pass rusher who utilizes his speed to power pass rush ability. Hopefully he can work with Mathis to add to his pass rush arsenal.

Last time I checked Mathis was retired.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/28/nfl-draft-2017-second-third-round-grades

TARELL BASHAM, DE, OHIO

GRADE: A

With a safety and cornerback under their belts already, the Colts found themselves a pass rusher at 80. He played a lot of hand-in-the-dirt DE for Ohio, but he really looks the part of a 3-4 edge rusher, which is where he’ll be with the Colts. Very good value at this spot in Round 3.

:thanks:

Theyve gotten straight A's so far. I mean, I guess that's one way to start out your first ever draft as a first time GM. 

Someone mentioned a press conference...I imagine it went something like this:

"I'm not here to answer any questions...I just have one statement to make: thats how you do that!"

*drops Mic...walks off stage*

• Like 2

Looks like we ran into 3rd round reality.  

I would love it, but a quick fix for 2017 is impossible.  If we're looking to compete on the highest level, this will take a few years, at least.  AFC South is one thing, true contention another.  

Was Grigson that bad?  Yes, he was.   

14 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I believe so I'm not even sure JRM will get drafted could be a great UDFA pick up 

I dont know all the details about Brantley and that girl but I know he's still on the board. If its not too bad I wouldn't mind adding Caleb Brantley to our D line in the 4th round.

Just now, #12. said:

I would love it, but a quick fix for 2017 is impossible.  If we're looking to compete on the highest level, this will take a few years, at least.  AFC South is one thing, true contention another.  

As opposed to 2nd round mentality?

43 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

This film says it all. Against a better team, he made huge plays, but they had 3 new dbs, so that attributed for their loss. Basham has great quickness and a high motor, love this guy. Ballard did not overlook anyone. 

Even went into coverage on one play, not too bad. Watch this film and form your own opinion on him. I like the ceiling of Ballard's picks. 

Has some issues breaking contact when an O-Line gets a hold of him. Bull rush was pretty much his only go-to when hands on the ground, but shows excellent swims and rips when standing. At times seemed to be baited down field a bit too hard trying to rush. But, this is the only clip of him Ive seen, and those 'issues' from my non-expert opinion can be learned/coached. 

As far as Ballard: Seems like he's getting BPA each time. They fit needs, but always BPA. I like this

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, #12. said:

What?? There are teams every season who do turnarounds.

And Grigson was not all that bad when you look at the players that are projected starters on the roster right now.