Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Tarell Basham, Edge, Ohio

ColtsArmy84

20 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Basham will get his chance in the 4-3 (which he played in college) with the new coaching staff. A clean slate. He couldn't have asked for a better chance to prove that he is better than his performance (or lack thereof) last year.

We do definitely need more help at the DE position though. I have a feeling John Simon will transition over well, but pass rush is still a big need.

I wouldnt be shocked if we picked up at least 2 edge rushers and 2 or even 3 linebackers in this draft.

And i would say our current edge players must have scheme fit DT's to support the pass rush.
So many holes.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

More Blinders

i think its very risky to sit back and build slowly right now

if we waste lucks career than ballard should be fired too, luck is more important to me as a fan than him 

Just now, aaron11 said:

if we waste lucks career than ballard should be fired too, luck is more important to me as a fan than him 

Luck has a good 10 years left if all goes well... Building through FA quickly was disastrous the first time this franchise tried it and according to you, might have ended Andrew's career... but you feel more comfortable doing that same old song and dance again!!?? Wow

• Like 1

Luck has a good 10 years left if all goes well...

this is where we disagree

i dont see that at all.  and free agents didnt get luck hurt the first time, it was draft picks on the oline that didnt pan out 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

And another thing on this...

Ballard might have been the one to SAVE his career by sitting him all season and focusing on what the best route was for him medically. Ballard's patience is the only thing going for this organization right now.

And another thing on this...

Ballard might have been the one to SAVE his career by sitting him all season and focusing on what the best route was for him medically. Ballard's patience is the only thing going for this organization right now.

that wasnt even his choice 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i dont see that at all.  and free agents didnt get luck hurt the first time, it was draft picks on the oline that didnt pan out 

It was actually Free Agents on that o-line that didnt pan out. And if you didn't notice this Free Agency, none of those big name free agents wanted any part of this organization unless we were paying millions more than the second best (we were not..)

It was actually Free Agents on that o-line that didnt pan out. And if you didn't notice this Free Agency, none of those big name free agents wanted any part of this organization unless we were paying millions more than the second best (we were not..)

i can list the oline we drafted that didnt pan out if you want

Just like Andrew playing hurt the 2 seasons prior wasn't Grigsons choice.... righttt

its up to doctors not the GM

find me one single source that said it was the GMs decision...  you wont be able to

Just now, aaron11 said:

i can list the oline we drafted that didnt pan out if you want

I can list the FA that didnt pan out before Grigson panicked and drafted the guys you are referring to... if you want

Cherilous

Donald Thomas

Samson Satele

Mike McGlynn

Lance Louis

.... should I go on?

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Luck has a good 10 years left if all goes well... Building through FA quickly was disastrous the first time this franchise tried it and according to you, might have ended Andrew's career... but you feel more comfortable doing that same old song and dance again!!?? Wow

:)

135F8F49-B0AC-4734-9453-B350E661D12D.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I can list the FA that didnt pan out before Grigson panicked and drafted the guys you are referring to... if you want

Cherilous

Donald Thomas

Samson Satele

Mike McGlynn

Lance Louis

.... should I go on?

we drafted a guard and center with our second and third picks the year after we drafted luck.  both were supposed to be starters and both were busts.

Just now, aaron11 said:

we drafted a guard and center with our second and third picks the year after we drafted luck.  both were busts were supposed to be starters and both were busts.

Thank Grigson for that... most of his picks were. 

That doesn't have anything to do with Ballard and him focusing on the proper way of building a team, which all smart GM's say, is with emphasis on the draft...

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Ballard AND Irsay have a plan that is tried and true. It is a roster build that Must start through the draft and then fill in with FA and trades as the team looks ready to compete for the SB. There is nothing SLOW about it. It just IS.
 We should be on the cusp in 2020 and after.  It really is that SIMPLE.  For Some!

• Like 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

how dare i say luck might retire due to injuries 

any other forum and people would say yes, that is reasonable

not here with the homers though 

It's not unreasonable. No one said that. But doctors and team officials are optimistic he is going to be under center proving you wrong... And if it is a career ending injury, that is on Grigson and Pagano... not Chris Ballard. I dont understand why you are stuck on that 

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Actually it was more about his Love for the deep ball, and taking hits because of it.
We will see how well he plays being forced to get rid of the ___ ball much more quickly.
 It is a huge retool of his preferred throwing mentality. lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's not unreasonable. No one said that. But doctors and team officials are optimistic he is going to be under center proving you wrong... And if it is a career ending injury, that is on Grigson and Pagano... not Chris Ballard. I dont understand why you are stuck on that 

we could have spent some money and still "built through the draft"

thats what i dont like about ballards approach.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we could have spent some money and still "built through the draft"

thats what i dont like about ballards approach.  

We did spend a little money. Just not on who you would have liked. 

That doesn't make it wrong, just means he has an approach you don't agree with. But your examples aren't helping your case on this forum. I think I'll trust the professional, that has had nothing but praise from fellow scouts/GM's, on this one.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That doesn't make it wrong, just means he has an approach you don't agree with. But your examples aren't helping your case on this forum. I think I'll trust the professional, that has had nothing but praise from fellow scouts/GM's, on this one.

yes, im just some guy, but lets not act like GMs dont make mistakes and fans cant see them and call it out 

forgive me for not trusting the draft, but we have not had a 4th round pick or later pan out since mcafee in 2009!  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The bolded is a very bad and flawed argument that people use on countless message boards. It's not Aaron Vs Ballard to see who is the better GM. It's Ballard Vs 31 other GM's to see who can build the best team and win the SB every year. I'm trusting Ballard right now because he's following through on his "build through the draft" philosophy so far with the trade and everything, but it's not Ballard Vs the armchair GM, it's Ballard Vs 31 other professional GM's in a war every year. That's why you have to trust him, because you think he can outsmart those other 31 GM's, not a random message board poster. So far, we don't know, but this draft will be telling on Ballard's credibility.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually it was more about his Love for the deep ball, and taking hits because of it.
We will see how well he plays being forced to get rid of the ___ ball much more quickly.

I would also say that his reading the defense and presnap reads may not be as good as say a manning, rogers, brady etc... Not being decisive which receiver he should target he lets the play develop and gives the defense more time to hit him.

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The bolded is a very bad and flawed argument that people use on countless message boards. It's not Aaron Vs Ballard to see who is the better GM. It's Ballard Vs 31 other GM's to see who can build the best team and win the SB every year. I'm trusting Ballard right now because he's following through on his "build through the draft" philosophy so far with the trade and everything, but it's not Ballard Vs the armchair GM, it's Ballard Vs 31 other professional GM's in a war every year. That's why you have to trust him, because you think he can outsmart those other 31 GM's, not a random message board poster. So far, we don't know, but this draft will be telling on Ballard's credibility.

And many of those GM's are praising his moves. Which is what I said. It isn't a flawed argument. It's an ideological difference. It's literally Grigson versus Ballard in terms of ideology. It's one man that refuses to overspend in FA when there is value to be had. To focus on the draft and build from within. Aaron thinks this is risky, and that is absurd. 

Back to topic.  Basham is the exact same size as Chubb.  6'4" 269 lbs. Chubb ran a 4.65 40 and Basham a 4.70, however Bashams 20ss and 3 cone are faster. They are both strong, but Chubbs bench reps were higher and Bashams arm reach was longer. Everyone was worried about the 3 cone and here we have the same body type with a faster one.  If we get Chubb, we might have both of our pass rushers day 1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

yes, im just some guy, but lets not act like GMs dont make mistakes and fans cant see them and call it out 

forgive me for not trusting the draft, but we have not had a 4th round pick or later pan out since mcafee in 2009!  

Hairston and Mack played pretty well last year... perhaps Grigson just sucked as a GM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

The Colts as a team is more important than Luck. When are going to hear exactly what Ballard said when he said this is not about one player and that includes Luck.

The Colts have been around longer than Lucks been alive and they will continue long after he retires.

Ballard is building this team exactly the way Irsay wants him to build it.

Ballard and Irsay are trying to salvage Luck's career, not destroy it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

how dare i say luck might retire due to injuries 

any other forum and people would say yes, that is reasonable

not here with the homers though 

that's NOT what you said.  you said, 

luck will be gone before the team is any good

and that ^ is what people were arguing against.  Try keeping your story straight :P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Back to topic.  Basham is the exact same size as Chubb.  6'4" 269 lbs. Chubb ran a 4.65 40 and Basham a 4.70, however Bashams 20ss and 3 cone are faster. They are both strong, but Chubbs bench reps were higher and Bashams arm reach was longer. Everyone was worried about the 3 cone and here we have the same body type with a faster one.  If we get Chubb, we might have both of our pass rushers day 1. 

Yes! I like the Basham pick much more in this new system then I did last year when we took him. It’s almost as if Ballard looks to the future past one year at a time....wow...how genius....like sacrificing to being fiscally conservative this year allows us to be very aggressive next year AND will likely net us compensatory picks for next year. I’m much more confident in Ballard’s approach then Grigsons.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

His love for the deep ball...?

Forced to get rid of it....?

Huge retool of his preferred throwing mentality....?

Three ridiculous observations in one post!   It can only mean BBZ is back in business?

NONE of those things are true!   Lol..

Luck did what he was told...  the head coach was a believer in lots of big chunk plays...   and he had the OCs to run that...   Arians, Pep and Chud.

Luck wasn't a Mad Bomber in college or high school.   Funny how that works.

Luck will have no problem with this new offense.  The problem will likely be rust from not throwing for so long.   He'll need reps to get comfortable.   Will his arm allow him to do that?   Otherwise, the offense should be easy for him.

Don't overthink this....

• Like 2