Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts = 15.7 Million in cap space

bigdeps

PFT Claims we have quite a bit of cash available.

IS this before we signed our FA I wonder... Also have we seen any contract numbers from any of the guys we picked up?

Excellent question. I don't like PFT so I question everything they publish, but those are the only numbers I've seen since free agency started. I would assume that they would include all of our signings -- Manning, Joe, Diem, rookies, other pickups.

I also saw a clarification on the payroll floor. Every team doesn't need to spend 89% of the salary cap, like I thought. The league as a whole has to spend 99% of collective cap (about $3.84 billion, total) on player salaries for the season. It's not until the 2013 season that every team has to spend to the minimum individually. Reports say that they're close to the collective minimum already, so the spending spree should be about over for now.

if we actually have that much space, i really hope we bring in Whitner, Grimes, or trade for Samuel.

Whitner doesn't really make much sense although I'm an OSU fan and would love to see him in the Blue and White... Now Grimes would be amazing but highly unlikely, he would demand Hayden type cash and that would be hard to see. Although I think we are starting to see Chris Polian putting his 'stamp' on this team. No way we pick up any of those FA (Anderson, Sims, Harris) if BP was fully in charge. With that being said IMO Grimes could be a lock down corner and is just entering his prime. Whats his RFA tender? I thought someone said a 3rd dp? If so I'd consider reaching out and seeing what type of money he wants.

I was just wondering this, is there any other sources that might have this?

I do know John Clayton from ESPN was on one of the local radio shows on 1070 the fan Monday or Tuesday and he said the same figure. This was before we got Sims and Harris though. Can't imagine those guys were overly expensive though. I blew it off, didn't believe him, but appears maybe he was right.

I do know John Clayton from ESPN was on one of the local radio shows on 1070 the fan Monday or Tuesday and he said the same figure. This was before we got Sims and Harris though. Can't imagine those guys were overly expensive though. I blew it off, didn't believe him, but appears maybe he was right.

Those guys are probably 2 to 4 million towards the cap, if that? But I agree, I haven't seen the figures either. So even if we save a few million for the season, I see we have some room. Maybe they are waiting for cuts today to see who becomes available?

They have to be planning something because 15 million is a heck a lot more then you need to have some wiggle room later in the season for injuries.

I really hope they are planning on making a move for Whitner or Samuel.

I have to imagine, if this number is true, Manning would not be to pleased that we have that much cap room not used going into the season.

Whitner doesn't really make much sense although I'm an OSU fan and would love to see him in the Blue and White... Now Grimes would be amazing but highly unlikely, he would demand Hayden type cash and that would be hard to see. Although I think we are starting to see Chris Polian putting his 'stamp' on this team. No way we pick up any of those FA (Anderson, Sims, Harris) if BP was fully in charge. With that being said IMO Grimes could be a lock down corner and is just entering his prime. Whats his RFA tender? I thought someone said a 3rd dp? If so I'd consider reaching out and seeing what type of money he wants.

Atlanta wants a second and then another pick so basically like a 2nd and a 7th for him.

SIGN TODD HEAP

Uh, why? Because our Pro-Bowler Clark isn't good enough?

Or because our could-be Pro-Bowler (If Clark retired right now, he would put up ANOTHER Pro-Bowl caliber season) Jacob Tamme isn't good enough?

That's like saying "Hey, lets go trade for Drew Brees!"

Why? We have literally ZERO need for him.