Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Jabaal Sheard (Merged)

PeterBowman

I'd rather have splurged and gotten Perry for the price of Sheard and Simon.

But i'll go on record as saying that I really do like Simon and have always wanted those high motor chip players for us. I don't at all like Sheard at that price or at all really but I hope Pagano can coach him better than Belichick did. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

But i'll go on record as saying that I really do like Simon and have always wanted those high motor chip players for us. I don't at all like Sheard at that price or at all really but I hope Pagano can coach him better than Belichick did. 

I think he played a 4-3 in New England when his best work was in the 3-4. He was playing out of position from what I gather from some other forum members comments.

He did look pretty good against Atlanta in the super bowl was also brought up. Just saying.

24 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Can't really judge a player on something he did 2 seasons ago. He's in his prime and should be just as good as ever. It's worrying that he slowly lost playtime and lacked the discipline with silly Billy

Well we will find out if he can help us.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Lol thats literally what your original post was...complaining about others complaints. Comon man...at least defend yourself here....

There is a difference in complaining and pointing out that no one on this forum is ever satisfied with anything the Colts do. Ever. 

It's like your parents buying you a brand new car but complaining about it.

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

There is a difference in complaining and pointing out that no one on this forum is ever satisfied with anything the Colts do. Ever. 

It's like your parents buying you a brand new car but complaining about it.

Theres also a difference between one person's maybe complaining and accusing everyone of complaining. You still arent helping yourself.  You picked out 1 post in 60 and said "everyone."

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Theres also a difference between one person's maybe complaining and accusing everyone of complaining. You still arent helping yourself.  You picked out 1 post in 60 and said "everyone."

Your reading and interpretation skills are top notch. I literally said "we signed the guy everyone wanted, yet PEOPLE still find a way to complain."

To make that into me saying everyone is complaining by saying "people" is astounding. 

I'm officially done responding to a wall. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

GB paid Perry , so this just wasn't going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Your reading and interpretation skills are top notch. I literally said "we signed the guy everyone wanted, yet PEOPLE still find a way to complain."

To make that into me saying everyone is complaining by saying "people" is astounding. 

I'm officially done responding to a wall. 

Since when is 1 person "people?" Because so far, youve pointed out only one guy that said "overpay, prior to your rant. One...

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

Now the edge is almost done, just a another impact edge rusher or a DL.  Now the team is posturing themselves to pick on offense and that means an impact RB.  Get ready to wear the Horseshoe D Cook.

:explode:

keep hearing, "meh" type responses about him from announcers "in the know" (nfl network, etc.)  -- and fans who saw a lot of him alike:  I always take this stuff with a grain of salt...but does anyone feel we overpaid for an under-talent?  Low-dy Low-dy,,,, who's got the straight stuff on this guy???

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news Colts fans, but Jabaal Sheard sucks!! He was good 2 years ago, but this past year he was trash in New England. He was the 4th string D-End w the Patriots. Rob Nincovich and Chris Long had almost no pass rush. The only competent Dlineman last year was Trey Flowers. Yet Sheard couldn't get on the field after about Week 6. There is no way in hell Sheard is worth $8.5 million a year. He's not even worth $5. His contract screams desperation by Colts! "

22 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

keep hearing, "meh" type responses about him from announcers "in the know" (nfl network, etc.)  -- and fans who saw a lot of him alike:  I always take this stuff with a grain of salt...but does anyone feel we overpaid for an under-talent?  Low-dy Low-dy,,,, who's got the straight stuff on this guy???

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news Colts fans, but Jabaal Sheard sucks!! He was good 2 years ago, but this past year he was trash in New England. He was the 4th string D-End w the Patriots. Rob Nincovich and Chris Long had almost no pass rush. The only competent Dlineman last year was Trey Flowers. Yet Sheard couldn't get on the field after about Week 6. There is no way in hell Sheard is worth $8.5 million a year. He's not even worth $5. His contract screams desperation by Colts! "

Well of course the Colts are desperate silly!  They need defenders as bad as anybody.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think he played a 4-3 in New England when his best work was in the 3-4. He was playing out of position from what I gather from some other forum members comments.

He did look pretty good against Atlanta in the super bowl was also brought up. Just saying.

A little like the Langford pick up, a 3-4 guy forced into a 4-3 with the Rams. Real shame as he was coming alone very nicely before the injuries to Anderson and himself.

So Sheard is a DE correct?

Does he start over Anderson I'm assuming? Langford is a beast when healthy, but so was Anderson before the injury.

Maybe Art Jones will return on a cheap deal and play a backup role..

Sign Poe, and this line can be pretty damn good down the stretch.

1 hour ago, Rick_Grimes said:

So Sheard is a DE correct?

Does he start over Anderson I'm assuming? Langford is a beast when healthy, but so was Anderson before the injury.

Maybe Art Jones will return on a cheap deal and play a backup role..

Sign Poe, and this line can be pretty damn good down the stretch.

He will be a OLB for the colts

22 hours ago, Dustin said:

8.5M per year Ballard you absolute madman.

It's not that crazy of a raise considering he had 2 good years for the Pats and the inflation. I wonder how many realize the he was considered to be a bargain when NE signed him for 2 years @11 mill with 5.5 guaranteed . The guy is only 27 years old and was the best edge rusher available when he signed this contract. 

16 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Well of course the Colts are desperate silly!  They need defenders as bad as anybody.

lol, yea, that was a quote from the "meh" contingent, not myself, but I agree, at some point if you're not desperate for D talent, maybe you're not trying hard enough.  But Ballard seems level-headed and probably doesn't feel that way (naturally)... except for possibly getting fleeced by the pats.

I see the signing of Sheard as likely Ballard's first mistake in free agency. I don't trust guys coming from a team that just won the Super Bowl to buy into a new team's aspirations and culture. I'm sure Patriots would have kept him if he was that good. I listened to the guy and he sounds like a mercenary who just signed a contract just for the money and taking advantage of coming from New England.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, PeterBowman said:

saw it in the Jabaal Sheard thread, per Shefty.

This guy saved my fantasy season it was a close game I only had Blount left and my opp had Justin tucker and jabaal blocked that field goal which helped Blount have a monster game and I got to the championship game. He almost blocked one in the super bowl too.  Happy he's on our team. 

5 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I see the signing of Sheard as likely Ballard's first mistake in free agency. I don't trust guys coming from a team that just won the Super Bowl to buy into a new team's aspirations and culture. I'm sure Patriots would have kept him if he was that good. I listened to the guy and he sounds like a mercenary who just signed a contract just for the money and taking advantage of coming from New England.

On the other hand, the mentally you describe certainly doesn't sound like something Ballard (or Pagano) would accept at all. There is always a risk that a player doesn't work out, no matter how much you pay pretty much. Sheard might have been overpaid somewhat, but we can easily stomach paying 8,5 mio instead of 7 per year, especially when you think about the fact that this LB group cannot be rebuilt in one draft. 

I'm good with this signing although you can get the impression that Simon might be a more sure bet. Sheard got experience, flexibility and some upside and he might just be a better fit with Monachino's vision. 

I also want to add that most of us is probably infested with the fear that free agents never work out for the Colts after all of these Grigson burn-outs! haha

I'm ready to reset that fear and replace it with a touch of optimism after Ballard came aboard. I can certainly understand why others would be hesitant to do that just yet.