Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope Chuck Stays

Smonroe

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We scored with 30 seconds left.. what if we didn't score a td at all?

People seem to forget that.   It's like they think we could have scored whenever we wanted, so we should have waited.  

I know a lot of fans never played the game and think they know it because they play Madden, so I just ignore most of it.  But it's frustrating.  Whatever.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, I'll continue to support Chuck but I understand that everyone wants to win and win now.  

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you out there:

What does Chuck need to prove next season that he should be the coach for the long-term?

For me personally: Chuck has to bring us to the playoffs and win a game or two. PLUS no more blowouts and slow starts.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

What does Chuck need to prove next season that he should be the coach for the long-term?

For me personally: Chuck has to bring us to the playoffs and win a game or two. PLUS no more blowouts and slow starts.

The Colts need to make the AFC Championship at least for me. And not get blown out by the pats or steelers (assuming they would be the opponent)

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm not thrilled with Pagano coming back as hes an average coach IMO. But I am willing to see how he can do with possibly better talent, assuming we will have a better GM.

I had to question that take by listing who I would rather have as a head coach:

Sean Payton

Pete Carroll

Andy Reid

Bruce Arians

Mike Tomlin

John Harbaugh

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike Zimmer

Bill O'Brien

Jason Garrett

Adam Gase

Dan Quinn

Hue Jackson

Jack Del Rio

Bill Belichick

I guess average is about right. 

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The Colts need to make the AFC Championship at least for me. And not get blown out by the pats or steelers (assuming they would be the opponent)

That's a tall order even for a good coach. I think the odds of that happening are slim to none. 

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

AFCCG appearance at the very least with a semi-respectable loss.

16 minutes ago, MTC said:

I'll leave room for one blowout and at least a few slow starts. Can't expect too much improvement. Have to see a few complete games here and there too, preferabbly several. I'd hope for 10 wins, mostly competitive losses, and for me even just a good win in the playoffs. Especially if they lose a competitive game to a good team. Getting blown out in the playoffs would be huge though.

But yeah, the slow starts cannot be a weekly or week to week thing like it has been the past few years though.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I get your point, but this will be Chucks 6th year. Its time for him to show us something. If he does that I'll feel better about him.

I agree I was hoping he was gone today... But I don't know if you could legitimately set the bar that high for any coach... Unless he had a totally stacked team and even than its likely the coach would fail.  BB might be the only coach who would be feeling decently safe with that mandate. 

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What if we didn't even score? We had to take the lead. I don't see how you can only blame Pagano, but not the bare cupboard of a defense. 

So do you think that Chuck has had ABSOLUTELY NO say in the defensive players brought in?! I've seen good dc's come up with descent schemes to stay competitive with ok players. (Dallas this season comes to mind) I think this team has had a few underachieving Raven players here on defense and tried to get some more but I guess that was ALL Grigs doing. :nono: Chuck is mediocre at best as hc and is SUBPAR as any type of defensive coach as the steady DECLINE on that side of the ball proves. To compare Chuck to Mike Tomlin as some on this board have because of the 8-8 seasons is INSANE because Mike has won COY and has lead the Steelers to two SBs winning one so he received a justified pass as a PROVEN coach. Last I checked the Steelers are playing in ANOTHER AFCCG tomorrow under Tomlin. So the logic of keeping Chuck based on a couple of 8-8 seasons while residing in the AFC south is nonsense.

42 minutes ago, MTC said:

I had to question that take by listing who I would rather have as a head coach:

Sean Payton

Pete Carroll

Andy Reid

Bruce Arians

Mike Tomlin

John Harbaugh

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike Zimmer

Bill O'Brien

Jason Garrett

Adam Gase

Dan Quinn

Hue Jackson

Jack Del Rio

Bill Belichick

I guess average is about right. 

Just curious, which of that group has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Pagano?  Belichick...

Just now, bluephantom87 said:

So do you think that Chuck has had ABSOLUTELY NO say in the defensive players brought in?! I've seen good dc's come up with descent schemes to stay competitive with ok players. (Dallas this season comes to mind) I think this team has had a few underachieving Raven players here on defense and tried to get some more but I guess that was ALL Grigs doing. :nono: Chuck is mediocre at best as hc and is SUBPAR as any type of defensive coach as the steady DECLINE on that side of the ball proves. To compare Chuck to Mike Tomlin as some on this board have because of the 8-8 seasons is INSANE because Mike has won COY and has lead the Steelers to two SBs winning one so he received a justified pass as a PROVEN coach. Last I checked the Steelers are playing in ANOTHER AFCCG tomorrow under Tomlin. So the logic of keeping Chuck based on a couple of 8-8 seasons while residing in the AFC south is nonsense.

I dont know. And the Cowboys team that has way more talent on defense than the colts? Mhm. 

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Just curious, which of that group has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Pagano?  Belichick...

Because Pagano has the fortune of Andrew Luck and playing in the weak AFC South division.

Just now, MTC said:

Because Pagano has the fortune of Andrew Luck and playing in the weak AFC South division.

Payton has Brees and the NFC South is completely volatile, different winner every year.  AFC North had one team over 500, Harbaugh has had two non winning seasons in a row.  I could go on with Garrett and Rivera amongst others.

Bottom line, you play who you play and we can make excuses all day.  To me it comes down to realistic expectations.  You have to give any of those coaches talent in order for them to win.  It's obvious what happens to them otherwise. 

1 hour ago, MTC said:

he can do nothing

i would have respect for him though if he quit.  actually no.  no i wouldn't

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Scale down the cliches 

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Payton has Brees and the NFC South is completely volatile, different winner every year.  AFC North had one team over 500, Harbaugh has had two non winning seasons in a row.  I could go on with Garrett and Rivera amongst others.

Bottom line, you play who you play and we can make excuses all day.  To me it comes down to realistic expectations.  You have to give any of those coaches talent in order for them to win.  It's obvious what happens to them otherwise. 

Payton with Brees has WON a SB. Harbaugh has WON a SB. Rivera has GONE to a SB and Garrett is an avg coach who happens to be more of the the owner's puppet than a hc. Do I believe that Chuck can develop talent or turn into a championship caliber hc and the answer is no. I don't need 8yrs or even six to see that... Chuck has enough talent to win the south but seems to have this team headed for the BOTTOM of the division.

9 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Payton with Brees has WON a SB. Harbaugh has WON a SB. Rivera has GONE to a SB and Garrett is an avg coach who happens to be more of the the owner's puppet than a hc. Do I believe that Chuck can develop talent or turn into a championship caliber hc and the answer is no. I don't need 8yrs or even six to see that... Chuck has enough talent to win the south but seems to have this team headed for the BOTTOM of the division.

Yeah, I know those coaches won SBs.  My point was that they don't always have winning seasons, even though they have great QBs.  But people here think Chuck's wins are division and Luck.  As if we get six wins for free every year, even though Houston has won the division 3 of the 5 years.  

I never said Chuck was the next Lombardi.  I do believe he was never given the tools, but has done well with what he's been given. All the coaches you mentioned have had losing seasons, right?  Were their rosters worse than ours?

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think he's a good coach and I know the players love playing for him.

I'm in the minority, but I think a lot of the people who want him gone just want change, and change isn't always good.  I know you'll talk about his inability to get the team off to a fast start.  But no one talks about his ability to get the team back into games.

We all seem to agree that the roster is probably less than mediocre.  Someone said it's worse than Clevelands.  So it must say something about the coaching to get that much out of that little.  And before you say "It's all Luck!", look at the Saints who also have a franchise QB and a highly respected coach.  Tomlin had back to back 8-8 seasons.  Rodgers has been to one SB.  

My final point in this rant is to remember the Dungy era - I think he was a great coach, and we had some great teams.  But he only got us to the AFC championship twice in his seven years.  And those rosters are going to have a lot of god jackets in the years to come.

Under Pagano the Colts are playing from behind almost on a weekly basis.

That ends up making our offense one dimensional and predictable.

Pass. Pass. Pass. Everyone knows Luck is going to drop back and throw the ball.

And with a weak offensive line.. Luck either turns the ball over or gets killed.

Pagano's coaching is a huge problem. Grigson failed to produce us with some real play-makers. I think the two of them should of been fired together.

Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

Maybe our new GM will finally bring us in a Running Back who isn't 33 so we can finally be able to run the ball and have defenses respect our ground game.

I mean five years into building this monster and we still have no defense, running back and half of a offensive line.

While I definitely agree about our run game not being respected, it is noteworthy that Frank Gore did put up the 12th best rush yards in the NFL this year. That's not bad for a 33 Yr old. That being said we can't rely on him forever and do need to get another RB in because our team rush yds are ranked 23rd, meaning our other rbs aren't keeping up with their share of the work. 

35 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We scored with 30 seconds left. I think we just disagree my good man. 

Dont bother.  It's ridiculous to think we could choose when to score.  So many things can go wrong on any play, the last thing you think about is waiting.   

Might work in Madden though!  

14 hours ago, dudeski said:

pagano is probably the worst coach i have ever seen.  people like him because he had cancer and says stupid cliches

he is terrible for the colts 

Wow... for someone who likes to preach on their soap box about NFL players being classy on Twitter you sure don't practice what you preach...

8 minutes ago, CptHooligan said:

Wow... for someone who likes to preach on their soap box about NFL players being classy on Twitter you sure don't practice what you preach...

i am not employed by the colts am i?

that is what makes the difference.