Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope Chuck Stays

Smonroe

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting an AFCCG appearance a year after missing the playoffs is somewhat premature I think. What I DO want to see is, more preparation and better play calling. He's shown the ability to do so against good teams (Minnesota, Green Bay, Tennessee). Just do it more consistently. 

In terms of how far they go, I want to say at least 10-6 and a playoff win, but it's hard to say without seeing how the season goes.

If they win the division, but then draw a really good team in the first round, like an Oakland, or Pittsburgh, yes a loss would be disappointing, but as long as they don't get killed, and show the improvement I stated above, I'd be okay with it. JMO though.

And remember, even if they do get an infusion of talent through FA and the draft, those players are gonna take some time to learn the new system, and for the rookies, assimilate themselves into the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What does this even mean?

I thought the same thing.

What I think Marvez is saying is...

Irsay has put a freeze on any assistant coaching coaches from being hired by Pagano. 

...Perhaps Chuck wanted to bring in his Brother John? And Irsay put the deep freeze on the deal?

More food for thought on Chuck. His 5 year coaching record percentage ranks 30 all-time. He is at 49-31, 3 playoff seasons and a .613 winning percentage. Carolina's coach Rivera sits at 53-42 with a .557 percentage. NOT defending Chuck just throwing out bones for dogs to chew on.

For what it's worth I don't think Pagano is out of the woods yet. I think the new GM, whoever it is, will decide Pagano's fate. What I'm wondering is what happens with Grigson's scouting staff and if it will be their reports that would ultimately be crucial to our draft this year...

1 hour ago, Tracy Denton said:

I wonder how many Browns fans were calling for the firing of Belichick after his 5 years and a 36-44 record,only one wining season and one playoff win ??

Not just the fans.  I remember one Cleveland reporter saying he wished the Ravens would keep him so they could suffer too.  

They called it "The Reign of Error".  He was really bad there, with personnel decisions and with the press.  I guess he learned.  

7 minutes ago, workinman said:

More food for thought on Chuck. His 5 year coaching record percentage ranks 30 all-time. He is at 49-31, 3 playoff seasons and a .613 winning percentage. Carolina's coach Rivera sits at 53-42 with a .557 percentage. NOT defending Chuck just throwing out bones for dogs to chew on.

we now live in a world where facts do not matter

I'd rather just promote Chud and see how he does for the year.

If Chuck is kept, changes are already pretty likely next season for our HC position. There's a good possibility a new HC would want to bring in his own offense or his own OC anyway, so it's not like Chud's job is super safe going forward anyways.

Plus I've always thought Chud could do better with this offense if he had the freedom.

I have long stated that I believe the players respect Pagano and will play hard for him. This last Jacksonville game shows that. I have also felt that Chuck has been asked to produce results with some less than top level talent, particularly on defense, that many would make excuses and Chuck doesn't. Give him some talent and he will win many games.

If you have had to work every day with someone you did not respect/like you know how it interferes with your ability to get things done. The players like him and that is big. Let's see how the GM job play out and go from there. A non-season Colt victory either way.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'd rather just promote Chud and see how he does for the year.

If Chuck is kept, changes are already pretty likely next season for our HC position. There's a good possibility a new HC would want to bring in his own offense or his own OC anyway, so it's not like Chud's job is super safe going forward anyways.

Plus I've always thought Chud could do better with this offense if he had the freedom.

Chud? The man who doesn't know what a slant is? No thank you.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Chud? The man who doesn't know what a slant is? No thank you.

Seeing how both Pep and Chud have struggled with that, I have a hard time not giving Pagano some blame about our offensive scheme. I think our offense will continue to miss out on its potential as long as Chuck is our HC.

That's what I was getting at in the last line of my original post.

45 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Seeing how both Pep and Chud have struggled with that, I have a hard time not giving Pagano some blame about our offensive scheme. I think our offense will continue to miss out on its potential as long as Chuck is our HC.

That's what I was getting at in the last line of my original post.

For what it's worth, we were 8th in the league in scoring, 10th in total offense.  But I agree, it could even be better if the Oline continues to improve. 

The real problems are on the other side of the ball.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

For what it's worth, we were 8th in the league in scoring, 10th in total offense.  But I agree, it could even be better if the Oline continues to improve. 

The real problems are on the other side of the ball.  

Oh yeah, I agree on the defense.

I just don't think our offensive scheme properly utilizes the talent they have. We've just seen too many similar weaknesses in Pep and Chud for me to think it doesn't have something to do with Pagano's overall vision.

4 hours ago, bleevit said:

I have long stated that I believe the players respect Pagano and will play hard for him. This last Jacksonville game shows that. I have also felt that Chuck has been asked to produce results with some less than top level talent, particularly on defense, that many would make excuses and Chuck doesn't. Give him some talent and he will win many games.

I agree. Let's at least give him one year to see what a better GM provides him to work with

23 hours ago, MTC said:

I had to question that take by listing who I would rather have as a head coach:

Sean Payton

Pete Carroll

Andy Reid

Bruce Arians

Mike Tomlin

John Harbaugh

Mike McCarthy

Ron Rivera

Mike Zimmer

Bill O'Brien

Jason Garrett

Adam Gase

Dan Quinn

Hue Jackson

Jack Del Rio

Bill Belichick

I guess average is about right. 

You would rather have Zimmer, Jackson, Garrett, Del Rio and O'Brien than Pagano? 

And if people don't like Pags in game coaching, wait until Reid or McCarthy are here.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:25 PM, Colts6669 said:

Chuck never had a chance with Grigs doing the shopping.  Dorsett, really?  Remember Jon Gruden say that "the Colts could have got Dorsett on Monday". UDFA he should have been!

That's hyperbole to the extreme

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's hyperbole to the extreme

That's true, he was just being funny (if he indeed really said it).  However, didn't everyone in all of football know it was a bad pick simply because of the position and the other needs at the time? 

Of course this is hindsight, and I do wish Dorsett would blossom.  But right now, I'd rather see Rogers on the field.

Playoff victory or Chuck out IMO.

I'm not content with routinely winning the worst division in football and then going 1 and done in the wildcard because we still can't hang with teams over .500. 

Anything else is settling for mediocrity. 

I'm hoping for the best but I'm not convinced Chuck is the guy who'll get us our next ring. 

On 1/21/2017 at 10:39 PM, Smonroe said:

Just curious, which of that group has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Pagano?  Belichick...

You know that is misleading.  Chuck also has a higher winning % than Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels.

19 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

You would rather have Zimmer, Jackson, Garrett, Del Rio and O'Brien than Pagano? 

And if people don't like Pags in game coaching, wait until Reid or McCarthy are here.

Those two make up for their deficiencies by being excellent with X's and O's.  Chuck, not so much.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

You know that is misleading.  Chuck also has a higher winning % than Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels.

Sorry, I'm not up on the rules of things we're allowed to credit Chuck.  Not his winning percentage, not going to the AFCCG, not winning 8 games without a healthy Luck, not winning 8 games with the worst defensive personnel in the league this season.  Not being saddled with a GM...

Can't credit him for any AFC South wins or for winning a game with two new QBs and a week of prep.  I'm sure there are others, I'll try to keep up in the future.