Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope Chuck Stays

Smonroe

I think he's a good coach and I know the players love playing for him.

I'm in the minority, but I think a lot of the people who want him gone just want change, and change isn't always good.  I know you'll talk about his inability to get the team off to a fast start.  But no one talks about his ability to get the team back into games.

We all seem to agree that the roster is probably less than mediocre.  Someone said it's worse than Clevelands.  So it must say something about the coaching to get that much out of that little.  And before you say "It's all Luck!", look at the Saints who also have a franchise QB and a highly respected coach.  Tomlin had back to back 8-8 seasons.  Rodgers has been to one SB.  

My final point in this rant is to remember the Dungy era - I think he was a great coach, and we had some great teams.  But he only got us to the AFC championship twice in his seven years.  And those rosters are going to have a lot of god jackets in the years to come.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you go and look at Mike Tomlinson's record he also has a back to back 8-8 seasons and tomorrow his team is in the AFC championship(where we would like to be), IF chuck learns from his past mistakes and gets some better players we may have a future, if not it will be a

rinse and repeat.

2 minutes ago, workinman said:

Well, if you go and look at Mike Tomlinson's record he also has a back to back 8-8 seasons and tomorrow his team is in the AFC championship(where we would like to be), IF chuck learns from his past mistakes and gets some better players we may have a future, if not it will be a

rinse and repeat.

that's a BIG "if"

2 minutes ago, workinman said:

rinse and repeat.

If my aunt had a beard she would be my uncle....he's been here 5 seasons and I don't see any improvement.

11 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

No playoffs again=Chuck out.

No playoffs win = chuck out, otherwise its rinse and repeated mediocrity

The AFC South is a gift that keeps on giving, that's why making the playoffs (which means winning AFC South because the division is not good enough for a wild card) should not be enough.

9 minutes ago, workinman said:

rinse and repeat.

Don't ever INSULT Mike Tomlin by putting him and Pagano in the same sentence...

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

They marched down the field like it was a high school defense. (Grigson's fault)

Yeah the defense sucks. The logical thing is to run the clock down so they are never in that position to begin with, not put your terrible defense in a position where they have to stop one of the best QBs in the NFL with 30 second left.

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

They marched down the field like it was a high school defense. (Grigson's fault)

Not only should they have never had time because flappy hands called a timeout,  but then we proceed to play prevent defense to allow them to march down the field..That is one of several games in his tenure here Pagano has COST us by HIMSELF..A head coach should help you win games you should lose, not LOSE games you should win..

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yeah the defense sucks. The logical thing is to run the clock down so they are never in that position to begin with, not put your terrible defense in a position where they have to stop one of the best QBs in the NFL with 30 second left.

Completely agree. Should've milked down that clock to about 10 seconds left (or less).

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Explain to me what Grigson has to do with Chuck's situational play-calling and clock management? Are we totally forgetting the week 1 clock management debacle that cost us a win?

I'm not convinced it's 100% certain that pagano returns.   I truly think that's a GM&irsay decision. So if a GM is hired from external sources, I think the odds are against Chuck coming back, despite what Irsay said today.!

I dont see how pagano staying is going to work. dont get me wrong, I think pagano is a good coach, but a new GM likes to bring in his own coach. The only way I see us keeping pagano is if we promote internally. the fact that jimmy raye didnt get the gm job with the 49ers makes me think irsay promised him the gm job if he stays 

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I dont see how pagano staying is going to work. dont get me wrong, I think pagano is a good coach, but a new GM likes to bring in his own coach. The only way I see us keeping pagano is if we promote internally. the fact that jimmy raye didnt get the gm job with the 49ers makes me think irsay promised him the gm job if he stays 

This is true, but Chuck has time on his side.  If they bring in an outsider there's not a lot of time to get a coach and be ready for the draft with him.  

I'm more for bringing in some talent.  There's money for some decent FAs, combine it with a good draft, and continued Oline improvement, the team could contend again.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I think he's a good coach and I know the players love playing for him.

I'm in the minority, but I think a lot of the people who want him gone just want change, and change isn't always good.  I know you'll talk about his inability to get the team off to a fast start.  But no one talks about his ability to get the team back into games.

We all seem to agree that the roster is probably less than mediocre.  Someone said it's worse than Clevelands.  So it must say something about the coaching to get that much out of that little.  And before you say "It's all Luck!", look at the Saints who also have a franchise QB and a highly respected coach.  Tomlin had back to back 8-8 seasons.  Rodgers has been to one SB.  

My final point in this rant is to remember the Dungy era - I think he was a great coach, and we had some great teams.  But he only got us to the AFC championship twice in his seven years.  And those rosters are going to have a lot of god jackets in the years to come.

There's a lot of legitimate reasons to want him gone it's not just for change sake.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

This is true, but Chuck has time on his side.  If they bring in an outsider there's not a lot of time to get a coach and be ready for the draft with him.  

I'm more for bringing in some talent.  There's money for some decent FAs, combine it with a good draft, and continued Oline improvement, the team could contend again.  

Draft is over 3 months away.  Plenty of time.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

What if we didn't even score? We had to take the lead. I don't see how you can only blame Pagano, but not the bare cupboard of a defense. 

18 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What if we didn't even score? We had to take the lead. I don't see how you can only blame Pagano, but not the bare cupboard of a defense. 

How am I not blaming the defense? I literally said they suck in the first 4 words of the post you quoted. This may be hard to belive but I can think that the defense and Pagano both suck at the same time. It's not one or the other.

Just now, Dustin said:

How am I not blaming the defense? I literally said they suck in the first 4 words of the post you quoted. This may be hard to belive but I can think that the defense and Pagano both suck at the same time. It's not one or the other.

So how you gonna blame the loss solely on Pagano if the defense sucks so bad.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Well you're right, the defense does suck. Plus, they were tattered by injuries. Knowing this, shouldn't Pagano try to LIMIT the time the defense spends on the field by using as much clock as possible, especially at the end of the game?

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think his point is the defense should have never been put in that position. Pagano had bad clock management and therefore, the defense had to go back out there for way too much time. And yes 37 seconds is way too much time with this defense lol

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

Well you're right, the defense does suck. Plus, they were tattered by injuries. Knowing this, shouldn't Pagano try to LIMIT the time the defense spends on the field by using as much clock as possible, especially at the end of the game?

We scored with 30 seconds left.. what if we didn't score a td at all?

Just now, Luck is Good said:

I think his point is the defense should have never been put in that position. Pagano had bad clock management and therefore, the defense had to go back out there for way too much time. And yes 37 seconds is way too much time with this defense lol

Yeah I get that.. it's a fair point. But that L isn't only because Pagano is our coach.

He should stay I think he good!! This team is not that good. With some better drafting it could be though. This team would run throw a wall for Pagano. Look at the last game against the Jags. Nothing to play for they came out flat IMO Pagano willed that team to a win at half time. People can talk all the % they want about Pagono  but I like him!!