Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

positions of need

DarkHorse

I love watching the Colts play but honestly I'm at offseason guy what I see we need 2 outside linebackers a inside linebacker, a corner, a running back and maybe another guard.   I say we get one outside linebacker in free agency the other draft in the first round. Get it inside linebacker in free agency draft a corner in the second and get a running back in the third that's just me

My list of needs

1 pass rusher

1 (coverage) ILB

A strong #2 CB

Running back

I would drafted a OLB in the 1st

A ILB in the second

A CB in the third and a RB with the 3rd compensation pick  (from Freeman)

Another ILB or OLB with the 4th

CB again or D linemen with the 5th

6th I would go WR or best defensive player

7th Best defensive player

I love doing mocks and hope we get better on both sides of the ball this draft. We need youth on both sides of the ball.

As of today, in order of importance

1) Edge rusher

2) ILB, rangy with good awareness

3) Cornerback

4) Edge rusher again

5) 3/5 tech DL, disruptive in both phases

6) OG, starter potential (let's assume Good and Haeg are never going to be good enough)

7) RB with explosiveness

8) OL, quality depth at all positions

9) Cornerback

Can't solve 1, 4 or 5 in free agency at all in 2017, IMO. There might be some serviceable vets who can rush, but the players we really need at those spots to have a great defense must be drafted. That's probably true of #2 also. 

I would be looking for a good corner, maybe a starting guard, more OL depth, and a maybe a cheap back in FA. 

Other than that, see my signature.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) Edge rusher

3) Cornerback

4) Edge rusher again

6) OG, starter potential (let's assume Good and Haeg are never going to be good enough)

7) RB with explosiveness

9) Cornerback

Can't solve 1, 4 or 5 in free agency at all in 2017, IMO. There might be some serviceable vets who can rush, but the players we really need at those spots to have a great defense must be drafted. That's probably true of #2 also. 

I would be looking for a good corner, maybe a starting guard, more OL depth, and a maybe a cheap back in FA. 

I hope we pick as you said for our first 4 picks, in Round 5 I would then take the best RB available, preferably a guy with speed like Donald Brown had. Maybe we could get lucky and if we do take a RB in the 5th Round he will be much better than Brown was.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope we pick as you said for our first 4 picks, in Round 5 I would then take the best RB available, preferably a guy with speed like Donald Brown had. Maybe we could get lucky and if we do take a RB in the 5th Round he will be much better than Brown was.

Just to clarify, my list of needs isn't what I think should/will happen in the draft, in any particular order. Just my opinion of need, starting with the greatest need.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I figured it was but I think your first 4 area's of need is how we should probably pick.

You probably know I don't think teams should reach for need, just like my signature says. And I don't really know enough about the upcoming draft class to say who should do what, who I really like, etc. Haven't started looking yet, maybe next weekend when I have a couple days off...

I will say, I don't expect all of those needs to be filled by next season. I think it would be great to definitively fill 2-3 of them, then address the rest with prospects. This team is not just 2-3 players away from being a mostly complete SB contender, IMO, especially not if we're talking about drafted players who take time and may or may not develop.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think you can forget about a starting guard.  They could have had Cody Whitehair with the second pick but they passed for Green, a developmental player.  That says it all.  They are happy with Good and he is getting better each game.  I can see Haag at RT if he beefs up some and gets stronger.  I think the line is pretty much set.  The young guys need more reps and experience and they should be pretty good next year. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you can forget about a starting guard.  They could have had Cody Whitehair with the second pick but they passed for Green, a developmental player.  That says it all.

LOL

They passed on Whitehair, so that means they'll never add another guard??

1 hour ago, Superman said:

1) Edge rusher

3) Cornerback

4) Edge rusher again

7) RB with explosiveness

9) Cornerback

Why don't you think we cant get a double digit sack EDGE rusher in Free Agency Supe? I know Jones is probably going to sign with Arizona long term from what I seen the other day, but between Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry. One should hit the open market. I'd bet one, maybe both of Perry and Ingram do. I agree 150% we need to get our own EDGE rusher or 3 in the draft, but I think the best move would be to sign one and draft 2 early. Also. You have guys like Jabaal Sheard and Demarcus Ware who'll be free agents. Would Jamie Collins be a possibility? I personally like him best as an ILB, but he definitely has pass rush ability. You know I kinda get jacked up in the offseason lol, but with the cap room we'll have, and really nobody but Doyle and maybe Walden to re-sign I don't see why we wouldn't go all in on a couple big ticket free agents.

The CB market is starting to look a little better with Morris Claiborne finally living up to his potential. He would be a big get. Then you have Tru Johnson, Stephon Gilmore, Prince Amukamara, Robert Alford, Logan Ryan, Dre Kirkpatrick, and a guy like AJ Bouye who's quietly having a really big year with Houston.

As for a coverage ILB there's guys like Zach Brown out there, but I think we can get a day 1 starter at ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. We need to find our version of Eric Kendricks or Jordan Hicks in the 2nd or 3rd.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

LOL

They passed on Whitehair, so that means they'll never add another guard??

They passed on Whitehair because they felt they didn't need a starting guard.  They took a defensive player with potential. They felt that was more important.  They could draft a guard down the line, but a plug and play starter is not needed now.  A backup guard in the later rounds, maybe. 

I'm not going to list Guard, because I have high hopes for Haeg. I think he can be a solid starting RG. He's had some ups and some downs so far and has a lot of work to do, but I think he can be the answer at RG, or maybe RT if that's what we need, but again. I like him better at guard.

1 EDGE rusher

2 ILB with coverage skills

3 CB

4 EDGE rusher

5 RB

Sign one of Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry in free agency, one of the corners I listed in my other post, and hit big in the draft and come out with an EDGE rusher in the 1st, ILB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Why don't you think we cant get a double digit sack EDGE rusher in Free Agency Supe? I know Jones is probably going to sign with Arizona long term from what I seen the other day, but between Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry. One should hit the open market. I'd bet one, maybe both of Perry and Ingram do. I agree 150% we need to get our own EDGE rusher or 3 in the draft, but I think the best move would be to sign one and draft 2 early. Also. You have guys like Jabaal Sheard and Demarcus Ware who'll be free agents. Would Jamie Collins be a possibility? I personally like him best as an ILB, but he definitely has pass rush ability. You know I kinda get jacked up in the offseason lol, but with the cap room we'll have, and really nobody but Doyle and maybe Walden to re-sign I don't see why we wouldn't go all in on a couple big ticket free agents.

The CB market is starting to look a little better with Morris Claiborne finally living up to his potential. He would be a big get. Then you have Tru Johnson, Stephon Gilmore, Prince Amukamara, Robert Alford, Logan Ryan, Dre Kirkpatrick, and a guy like AJ Bouye who's quietly having a really big year with Houston.

As for a coverage ILB there's guys like Zach Brown out there, but I think we can get a day 1 starter at ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. We need to find our version of Eric Kendricks or Jordan Hicks type ILB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't believe in any of the bolded guys as double digit sack guys. They would be serviceable vet pass rushers I was talking about, not a core guy that transforms your pass rush, IMO.

Chandler Jones I think stays with AZ, and I wouldn't give him the Olivier Vernon kind of contract that I think it would take to get him to leave. All considered, I don't think he even hits FA.

Jamie Collins gets tagged, and like you said, isn't a true edge rusher. Ware is old, no thanks (Trent Cole again?) I'd take Sheard, Ingram or Perry on a reasonable deal, but you still need to draft a young guy or two, desperately.

I agree that the CB market is flooded. I don't want any of them for $13m/year, but once the dust settles, someone might be available for $7m/year, a starter quality guy who can play CB2. 

Just said in another thread, the one guy I had forgotten about is Kawann Short. He probably doesn't reach FA either -- I assume they tag him, at the least -- but if he does, I'd be all in on him.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They passed on Whitehair because they felt they didn't need a starting guard.  They took a defensive player with potential. They felt that was more important.  They could draft a guard down the line, but a plug and play starter is not needed now.  A backup guard in the later rounds, maybe. 

I don't think that's why they passed on Whitehair. Either way, I think I understand your point better now, so all good.

32 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm not going to list Guard, because I have high hopes for Haeg. I think he can be a solid starting RG. He's had some ups and some downs so far and has a lot of work to do, but I think he can be the answer at RG, or maybe RT if that's what we need, but again. I like him better at guard.

1 EDGE rusher

3 CB

4 EDGE rusher

5 RB

Sign one of Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry in free agency, one of the corners I listed in my other post, and hit big in the draft and come out with an EDGE rusher in the 1st, ILB in the 2nd, and RB in the 3rd.

That would be how my first 5 picks would go as well. Not sure who I like in Free Agency?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

1) Edge rusher

3) Cornerback

4) Edge rusher again

7) RB with explosiveness

9) Cornerback

This and pretty much only this. I mean our defense doesn't have to be world beaters just serviceable. If we get a plug and play pass rusher day one, we would see a sizeable improvement. It would mask a lot not having our linebackers and corners in coverage so long on third down. I pretty much agree with the entire list in the order you have it. I think if this was our draft model, we could see a Jekyll and Hyde type transformation in our defense. My fingers are crossed that Grigson is in the same boat we are. :goodluck:

Honestly we don't need another corner  nor do we need a Rb this draft if you're even thinking about offense you draft some more olinemen because our depth sucks and a lot of our linemen seem to get nagging injuries..I think this draft should be olb/olb/ilb and more olinemen and that's it ..don't need a corner if Melvin balls out with this lack of pass rush if he's here next year and we draft pass rush he'll look better 

Our most glaring need I know all colts nation agree.  New HC and New GM.  I say if Harbaugh doesn't win national title this year we can lure him away from Michigan.  Let Harbaugh have control of the HC and GM needs.  We need a true defense minded coach.  Luck played for Harbaugh perfect for here.  Michigan may not even make it to the playoffs because of last week lost to Iowa.  Harbaugh will leave Michigan for the NFL espically if we have a QB in Luck.  

On 11/14/2016 at 7:37 PM, COLTS449 said:

1 EDGE rusher

3 CB

4 EDGE rusher

5 RB

I like it except I would pass on RB as5th . Gore has a couple of yrs left.   Can and should address RB with a higher round pick than 5th or else we end up with another Ferguson.  

Draft another DL or OLINE with that pick 

22 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I like it except I would pass on RB as5th . Gore has a couple of yrs left.   Can and should address RB with a higher round pick than 5th or else we end up with another Ferguson.  

Draft another DL or OLINE with that pick 

No I just listed what I thought our needs were in order. No I would draft a RB in the 3rd. I think we need to get 2 stud defensive players in the first 2 rounds. this is a deep class for RB's. We can get a 2nd round talent in the 3rd. Then actually I think we should draft another RB in the 5th or 6th.

I agree with the general consensus of our needs... I think that we are hurting the most at OLB, however...

Reuben Foster (Alabama) is a force to be reckoned with... He may be BPA when we pick and ILB is certainly a need as well. 

I'm not an Alabama fan in general, but Allen is probably the best player in the draft. He won't be there when we pick, but Foster might be, and he likely makes our defense noticeably better from the minute he steps on the field.