Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brock Osweiler: Mr. 3.2 YPA

SkyBane

On Monday night, Brock Ossweiler became the 1st QB in the history of the NFL to have 3 games in a single season with less than 200 passing yards, with 40 attempts in each game. On the season, he averages 6.18 yards per attempt, good for 30th, only beating out Joe Flacco and Blaine Gabbert. You would think this would mean he's just throwing low yardage, high percentage throws, but he also is only hitting 59% of his passes, good for 29th in the league ahead of only Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Combined with a TD/INT ratio of 1, the guy has been impressive in just how bad he can be, and as stated, is setting NFL records for futility in the passing game.

The Texans may have dun goofed. 

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Yeah how bad does our defense have to be to lose a 14 point lead LATE to that guy?  At any rate, I'm sure Houston would like their money back.

Considering the Texans average about 16 points a game? Pretty damn bad. 

Still has not played a 16 game season but looking at Dallas and Phily Brock needs to get it going. I had to laugh at the $72,000,000 signs at last nights game, is that supposed to be an insult? "laughing all the way to the bank"  chimes in here. If he makes it then he makes it if not well consider it a gamble like on all players. If I were him I would not be sad.

He's played seven games in a brand new offense behind a line that is consistently getting him hit. I'm not gonna say his demise in the NFL has come just yet. Give the offense some time (we just lost another linemen...) and I think it will be as dynamic as everyone hoped it would be eventually. 

There is no reason whatsoever to think Osweiler will turn anything around.  He has not demonstrated at any time in his NFL career that he can excel at the quarterback position, which is what he is being paid to do. Bronco players discussed at length some of the glaring weaknesses that they know he has, in addition to the very obvious ones that we see as fans.  If other teams weren't already aware of these holes, they will be now.  

42 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

He's played seven games in a brand new offense behind a line that is consistently getting him hit. I'm not gonna say his demise in the NFL has come just yet. Give the offense some time (we just lost another linemen...) and I think it will be as dynamic as everyone hoped it would be eventually. 

Hold onto that hope. It's probably in the same class as my hope that we fire Pagano and Grigson this off-season.

This proves how sad Indy's defense is.  He probably had close to 200 passing yards on their last 3 drives against Indy lol.  I've realized he really struggles on the road.  His accuracy is not good and he struggles to connect down field.  He has only played 7 games though, maybe things will get better.  It looks like he got way over paid though.  Hoyer had been playing better until he got hurt. 

Also for what it's worst I still maintain that the defense didn't lose that game by simply sucking, which takes some credit from Ossy in spite of what I just said. He's not exactly the greatest quarterback. I mean the defense wasn't exactly great but they were playing scared and basically let the ball carrier walk in. The offense didn't help much either. 

17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I know this board has an obligation about Ossy but he has the worst coach in the league. For some reason it's still being ignored. I know he's 1 of Bill's boys but that only gets you so far. A ton of his boys got booted once it became obvious they were going nowhere.

Bill O'Brien isn't anywhere close to being the worst coach in the league. 

3 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

They have enough weapons. If he doesn't improve I'd put the blame on him. They gave him a two year deal? If so at least thy can draft someone and bench him if he's still not performing next year.

1 minute ago, corgi said:

They have enough weapons. If he doesn't improve I'd put the blame on him. They gave him a two year deal? If so at least thy can draft someone and bench him if he's still not performing next year.

Technically they gave him a 4 year deal, but the second two years are contingent on performance in the first 2 years. Which means the front office has basically guaranteed him the start for 2 full years.

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

I agree. If they know he is not the guy then they will move on. Plus, O'Brien will get fired when Indy wins the division. Brock's PR is 20 points below Hoyer's last year and Hopkins is on track to not even have 1000 yards this year compared to 1521 last year. 

4 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Technically they gave him a 4 year deal, but the second two years are contingent on performance in the first 2 years. Which means the front office has basically guaranteed him the start for 2 full years.

For his production up to this point it's an awful contract, but at least it's not a long term thing. He still could turn it around, but it looks pretty bleak at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, corgi said:

That's what I'm saying. We're seven games into the season right now, so I'm gonna withhold judgment. It's the same for rookie QBs starting in offenses they don't know for the first time. If he's still playing poorly towards the end of this season and into next year then I'll definitely be concerned. 

7 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

That's what I'm saying. We're seven games into the season right now, so I'm gonna withhold judgment. It's the same for rookie QBs starting in offenses they don't know for the first time. If he's still playing poorly towards the end of this season and into next year then I'll definitely be concerned. 

Like Wentz and Prescott? ;) Brock currently has a lower PFF rating than Fitz and Gabbert.

10 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Like Wentz and Prescott? ;) Brock currently has a lower PFF rating than Fitz and Gabbert.

But he beat the Colts ;) Wentz and Dak are exceptions. Rookie QBs usually don't play to the huge level that they have so far. I haven't watched either of them play either so I can't say anything about their rookie mistakes.

To me just winning the Division isn't good enough. I want at least a Playoff win to go with it to say it was at least a halfway successful season. I look at the Texans and Colts and to me despite our Defense I think the Colts have a better chance of winning a Playoff game because we have Andrew who can put up 30 points a game, especially in a home game. I just don't see the Texans being the type of a team that can even put up 20 points in a Playoff game. I could be wrong but look at what we did in 2013 vs KC and 2014 - went to the Final 4 and then look at what the Texans did in the Playoffs last season and they even had Watt on Defense. Colts are always dangerous just simply because we have a QB that can score in bundles. I have little doubt we will beat the Texans in Indy this season but because of losing that game last week and getting off to a slow start, it will still be close whether or not we win the Division.

6 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

But he beat the Colts ;) Wentz and Dak are exceptions. Rookie QBs usually don't play to the huge level that they have so far. I haven't watched either of them play either so I can't say anything about their rookie mistakes.

I get it, I do, about believing in your guy, but we're talking about one of the worst seasons recorded in NFL history from Osweiler so far. He has weapons around him, but he's bringing the entire offense down to his level. He's also not a rookie, he got the nod to start for Denver some last year, and never actually impressed there either. Also- he wasn't even that pressured last night. The only sack recorded was the sack he gave up on himself.

The biggest problem with Osweiler, isn't what he's shown, it's what he hasn't shown, and that is any semblance of something to be built on to actually get better.

1 minute ago, SkyBane said:

I get it, I do, about believing in your guy, but we're talking about one of the worst seasons recorded in NFL history from Osweiler so far. He has weapons around him, but he's bringing the entire offense down to his level. He's also not a rookie, he got the nod to start for Denver some last year, and never actually impressed there either. Also- he wasn't even that pressured last night. The only sack recorded was the sack he gave up on himself.

The biggest problem with Osweiler, isn't what he's shown, it's what he hasn't shown, and that is any semblance of something to be built on to actually get better.

I watch him every Sunday. I see how the line plays. I've seen drops by Fuller and the TEs, as well as forced or errant throws by Brock. It's not all on him like the media would have you believe. And I'm not saying that he's a rookie, but he is playing in a brand new offense with a brand new team. I'm gonna give the guy more than seven games before I give up on him. His teammates believe in him. They're undefeated in the division and have a solid defense to fall back on. Like I said before, if the poor play continues next year, then I'll be worried. 

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I know he's 1 of Bill's boys but that only gets you so far.

And yet, folks still clamor to get one of 'Bill's Boys" as a HC.  Look for a re-treaded Josh McDaniels 2.0 and Matt Patricia to escape the clutches of the hoodies in search of HC immortality.

11 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I watch him every Sunday. I see how the line plays. I've seen drops by Fuller and the TEs, as well as forced or errant throws by Brock. It's not all on him like the media would have you believe. And I'm not saying that he's a rookie, but he is playing in a brand new offense with a brand new team. I'm gonna give the guy more than seven games before I give up on him. His teammates believe in him. They're undefeated in the division and have a solid defense to fall back on. Like I said before, if the poor play continues next year, then I'll be worried. 

Regarding the learning a whole new system thing...it seems like he has the whole Manning at the line of the scrimmage thing going on that he would have learned in Denver and actually had a few good audibles to runs. So my point is, if he is doing all of that, which is probably window dressing in some systems, then wouldn't that mean he knows the Texans system but may not be good enough to execute it? It seemed to me last night that he went in there more worried about not making a big mistake to lose the game as opposed to trying to make a couple of tough throws to win the game. 

23 minutes ago, 19colt said:

Regarding the learning a whole new system thing...it seems like he has the whole Manning at the line of the scrimmage thing going on that he would have learned in Denver and actually had a few good audibles to runs. So my point is, if he is doing all of that, which is probably window dressing in some systems, then wouldn't that mean he knows the Texans system but may not be good enough to execute it? It seemed to me last night that he went in there more worried about not making a big mistake to lose the game as opposed to trying to make a couple of tough throws to win the game. 

Yeah that's probably why he didn't throw a pick this past game, trying too hard to play it safe...He didn't take any sacks and picked up a few yards on the ground too. I would like to see more of that to be honest, as long as he doesn't get hurt. 

Honestly, I think the sample size is too small to make any lasting characterizations about Brock as a franchise QB yet. He did play a pivotal role in helping Orange Crush win  a SB last season. Those signs in the stands about the Texans wasting money were a little over the top. 

I get it on a rivalry front, but Brock isn't a bad QB IMO. He's just learning how to lead a squad on his own & seriously who wouldn't take the money? 

Was OZ's timing off with Hopkins? Sure it was, but there have been many games this yr where WRs dropped passes from our very own Luck too. So, INDY is in no position to gloat ourselves really. 

Anybody looks like a vast improvement over Brian Hoyer vs KC last yr man. Tell the truth now come on. LOL! 

15 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

He makes Curtis Painter look good........ Ok, reasonable then.

haha Curtis Painter could make me look like a reasonable QB BHC & who knows where that ball would end up when I attempt a flee flicker or slant & go throw to lift the top off a defense man. 

The best part of the MNF broadcast was when John Gruden mentioned visiting the Red Rocks Amphitheater & I quote "Talking Heads, Tesla, & the Stones." Darn right! You tell em Chucky! 

That place is magical man. It truly is. 1 of the best outdoor concert venues in the 4 corners baby! 

colorado_symphony_at_red_rocks.jpg?itok=

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Trying to be fair , here's my take on it. Your right , it's 7 games and you can't just say he's a bust. On the flip side , this is his 5th year in the league. It's not like he's a "newbi." He really didn't play all that well last year . I believe he had 1 really nice game and quite a few duds ? 

Watching him play is how you form an opinion.... No ? To me .. it looks like he has enough arm talent and he's athletic enough. That's the good side. The bad side (IMO) is his mechanics are sub par. Doesn't always set right , has a very imperfect release (6' 8" and gets passes knocked down at LOS)) and doesn't appear to be great progressing through his reads. Is it fair to pass judgement ? No.. your right.. too early. However you can watch him play and have an opinion. Mine would be 60-40 that Texans will be sorry they invested this kind of money in him.

As to the contract , you mentioned in another post that it was a 2 year deal. I looked at the contract and mostly agree with you. If they release him after 2017 , the cap hit is 6 million .. which is not a killer for 2018. However it will really mess up the Texans 2017 season if he's a bust. He's taking up 19 million in cap space and if they cut him , he eats up an unfathomable 25 million of the 2017 cap. 

IMO , unless Savage turns out to be a good QB , the Texans are screwed for at least 3-4 years if he turns out to not "be the guy."