Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

4 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

You know when people talk about coaches coming out of retirement, they never bring up Herm? Why is that? I always thought he did a good job with the jets until Pennington's shoulder died on him...He's a great friend of Tony's so you'd think it'd be a recommendable spot for him. I'm pretty sure he only ever go the one chance, so why doesn't he ever get brought up. Personally I would love to see what Herm could do with this team.

Why would anyone bring him up?  What did he ever do to be highly thought of?

plus, he's too busy being a caricature of himself on ESPN.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/27/2016 at 0:49 AM, grmasterb said:

Rex Ryan as DC -- Yes.  Head coach, not no but HELL NO!

You may be right.  And I would agree that would likely be his best position, DC.  BUT.......before you totally dismiss him for HC, consider this from ESPN:

Ryan continued to exude confidence when speaking to his team at the start of his second Bills training camp in July.

"Everything's questioned," Ryan told his players, as captured in a team-produced documentary that aired in September. "I forgot how to f---ing coach. 'The players don't respond to Rex; he don't know what the f--- he's doing anymore.'"

As Ryan added later in his speech to his team: "I'm going to tell you we're the f---ing best because I believe it. Let me f---ing say it. And if it doesn't work, I'll be the first m-----f----- that goes."

Now, as we found out that wasn't entirely true as he fired OC Greg Roman first.  But my point is the FIRE he has.  That is the antithesis of what we have had for the last, oh, decade or more.  There is no evidence that it will work any better with this approach, I understand this.  But why not give it a try?  Can we do much worse than where we are now?  If you were going to hire him I would do a short-term deal, like 2 years and see where it goes.  It would certainly be no more psychotic than giving Chuck and Grigs a NEW 4-year deal.

Didn't Joe Philbin coach OC for Aaron Rodgers in Mike McCarthy's west coast system? That was during Rodgers' 2011 MVP season, if I remember right. That was what got him the head coaching gig in Miami. I would think he would develop more quick hitters than Chud and his offense consistently. 

Joe Philbin for OC, Gus Bradley for DC, and someone like Coughlin, Harbaugh or Gruden for HC would be a good thing, IMO.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Didn't Joe Philbin coach OC for Aaron Rodgers in Mike McCarthy's west coast system? That was during Rodgers' 2011 MVP season, if I remember right. That was what got him the head coaching gig in Miami. I would think he would develop more quick hitters than Chud and his offense consistently. 

Joe Philbin for OC, Gus Bradley for DC, and someone like Coughlin, Harbaugh or Gruden for HC would be a good thing, IMO.

Philbin for OC is actually an interesting choice, and I think that's part of the reason the Colts brought him in.  I think there may have been some expectation that Chud would get and accept head coaching offers within a couple of years, so having Philbin around would give us an in-house replacement for OC.  It wouldn't force Luck to learn yet another offense since Philbin would be familiar with what they're currently running.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

McCarthy was the play caller, so I wouldn't give too much credit to Philbin.

Bradley would be an entire scheme change. What little talent there is on D may not fit.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

McCarthy was the play caller, so I wouldn't give too much credit to Philbin.

Bradley would be an entire scheme change. What little talent there is on D may not fit.

Bradley runs all type of fronts, 3 man, 4 man fronts and blitzes in a timely fashion too. Despite being cellar dwellers, the fact that the Jags' pass D did respectably well does get my attention.

McCarthy was not nearly the play caller as you may think. It was only last year when he started taking it over actively when their offense started a bit of stagnation. His HC responsibilities did delegate a lot of those to Philbin, if I remember right.

Just now, chad72 said:

Bradley runs all type of fronts, 3 man, 4 man fronts and blitzes in a timely fashion too. Despite being cellar dwellers, the fact that the Jags' pass D did respectably well does get my attention.

McCarthy was not nearly the play caller as you may think. It was only last year when he started taking it over actively when their offense started a bit of stagnation. His HC responsibilities did delegate a lot of those to Philbin, if I remember right.

McCarthy has always been the play caller.  He briefly let Tom Clements have his shot last season...didn't go well and he took over later in the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Whether 2017 doesn't go as Irsay is planning or our new GM is adamant about a new coach, I don't think it's unreasonable to start thinking about coaching candidates. My question is who is there out there? This year or next. Genuine question, I really don't know.

Coming uo to Black Monday, I had my eye on McDaniels. He had an ill-fated stint in Denver but in Indy he would already have a real QB and hopefully a GM to build a decent defense. Schematically, I like what he does. He finds mismatches, and is a creative playcaller. I feel he can improve in his second stint as coach.

I see people saying the coaching pool is weak this year. But who is going to be available in 2018? I don't think Saban or Harbaugh will change their minds much over the course of a year.

Who is the best? Who do you want?

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Whether 2017 doesn't go as Irsay is planning or our new GM is adamant about a new coach, I don't think it's unreasonable to start thinking about coaching candidates. My question is who is there out there? This year or next. Genuine question, I really don't know.

Coming uo to Black Monday, I had my eye on McDaniels. He had an ill-fated stint in Denver but in Indy he would already have a real QB and hopefully a GM to build a decent defense. Schematically, I like what he does. He finds mismatches, and is a creative playcaller. I feel he can improve in his second stint as coach.

I see people saying the coaching pool is weak this year. But who is going to be available in 2018? I don't think Saban or Harbaugh will change their minds much over the course of a year.

Who is the best? Who do you want?

I think Irsay will wait for Harbaugh to get bored at Michigan.  Harbaugh left that door open

It depends on who is hired for the GM position but if Ballard is hired then keep your eye on Dave Taub.  He is the KC special teams coordinator.  He has worked with Ballard twice in Chicago and KC.  He has also worked with/under John Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, and then Andy Reid again.  He has a very solid reputation as a candidate that is ready if someone will take a chance on him.

1 minute ago, Dilger85 said:

It depends on who is hired for the GM position but if Ballard is hired then keep your eye on Dave Taub.  He is the KC special teams coordinator.  He has worked with Ballard twice in Chicago and KC.  He has also worked with/under John Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, and then Andy Reid again.  He has a very solid reputation as a candidate that is ready if someone will take a chance on him.

Someone for me to look into. Was unaware of him. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I'm operating under the impression that he is the next 49ers coach.

I wouldn't operate under that assumption.  I think he's smart enough to turn them down.  

That would especially be true if our job opens up inbetween now and the SB.  

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't operate under that assumption.  I think he's smart enough to turn them down.  

That would especially be true if our job opens up inbetween now and the SB.  

There's not a single report available saying that guy is turning that job down.

I agree Saban is doubtful to ever return to the NFL. Harbaugh has yet to out stay his welcome in Michigan. 

After another strong year from NE, I can see McDaniels and Matt Patricia getting a lot of attention next year. Especially as Brady and Belichick might think about hanging it up.

If the Panthers don't improve I can see Ron Rivera being on a hot seat too.

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn Colt said:

No the Chargers fired their coach. But you're right the Broncos just recently got a head coach but they were interested in Toub earlier this month 

As far as I know the Chargers hired Anthony Lynn as the coach.

9 minutes ago, Brooklyn Colt said:

No the Chargers fired their coach. But you're right the Broncos just recently got a head coach but they were interested in Toub earlier this month 

The chargers hired Anthony Lynn and the Broncos hired Vance Joseph there are no HC job open anymore Toub was talked about. I personally don't want a specal teams coordinator as HC I'd prefer a offensive coach this time around.

46 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The chargers hired Anthony Lynn and the Broncos hired Vance Joseph there are no HC job open anymore Toub was talked about. I personally don't want a specal teams coordinator as HC I'd prefer a offensive coach this time around.

I was wrong from earlier but he interviewed for both positions. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator before the Ravens took a chance on him and look how that turned out.  Dismissing him due to being a special teams coordinator is short sighted in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He would be a much better hire than Pagano was. I think people underestimate the role of a ST coach. Can forget that Belicheck(throws up) started as a ST coach as well