Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano Is The New Coach Of The Indianapolis Colts (Merge)

MSColtsFan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has been beaten to death, but the answer is the Ravens fans are ex-Redskins fans, ex-Colts fans, and hypocritical, since the Ravens are the Browns. I grew up in Maryland, still an Orioles fan, Caps, etc. I understood why they left. I sat in Memorial stadium. That place was a dump by the end. The city wouldn't move an inch for Irsay, and it is a business. Had Baltimore and the fans wanted the Colts to stay, they would have attended games and built a stadium. They didn't do either.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that they attended games just fine from about 1956 to 1977. Robert Irsay had been actively putrifying the franchise to the best of his ability for several years before the move. I doubt very much that any fans around the country would have been selling out the stadium at that point. The answer was to run his business better, not point fingers and leave. Or how about building a stadium himself if he wanted one so badly. After all, it's "his business".

The fact that it was a "dump" is a different matter. It had been rebuilt only 34 years previously - there were worse stadiums out there. Considering the economy leading up to that period (historically high interest rates, inflation, AND a recession) that probably wasn't the best time to expect the city to ante up. A little bit more loyalty and patience would paid off for Irsay eventually. I don't recall the Orioles threatening to leave. Eventually new stadiums were built. Sure it's a business, but it's also a public trust. He violated it, and I hated the man. I just don't understand people who transfer that hatred to the team itself. It's a bunch of athletes - many of whom weren't even born in 1984 - running around in uniforms that I fell in love with when I was six years old. It would take a lot more than changing cities to turn me against them.

Hopefully pagano will see that lacey sucks real bad and get rid of him and replace him with someone better....why did they let tryon go? smh

Lacy doesn't really suck...he just isn't a starting quality CB. I blame the Colts coaching staff more so than Lacy. The Colts tried to force a square peg into a round hole and Lacy was exposed. Lacy is a nickle or dime corner which is where he played his first season. I recall many fans being satisfied with his play just last year. What a difference a year and some questionable roster management makes.

That said...if Pagano and Grigson can upgrade the quality of our current DB's then I'm all for it.

I think it is true, I also saw it on the new Colts app.

That app is SUPERB, I highly recommend it to any Colts fan if you don't have it.

I have it on Android, but to my understanding it's also available on the iTunes App Store.

OT: I'm excited to the direction we go in with this guy, I wonder how much this will effect our draft style.

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that they attended games just fine from about 1956 to 1977. Robert Irsay had been actively putrifying the franchise to the best of his ability for several years before the move. I doubt very much that any fans around the country would have been selling out the stadium at that point. The answer was to run his business better, not point fingers and leave. Or how about building a stadium himself if he wanted one so badly. After all, it's "his business".

The fact that it was a "dump" is a different matter. It had been rebuilt only 34 years previously - there were worse stadiums out there. Considering the economy leading up to that period (historically high interest rates, inflation, AND a recession) that probably wasn't the best time to expect the city to ante up. A little bit more loyalty and patience would paid off for Irsay eventually. I don't recall the Orioles threatening to leave. Eventually new stadiums were built. Sure it's a business, but it's also a public trust. He violated it, and I hated the man. I just don't understand people who transfer that hatred to the team itself. It's a bunch of athletes - many of whom weren't even born in 1984 - running around in uniforms that I fell in love with when I was six years old. It would take a lot more than changing cities to turn me against them.

If Atlanta told Coke you can go, but your brand, image, colors, and history are ours, how would they have responded? Detroit says to GM we're not reinvesting in you after years of producing jobs, revenue, tourism, attention to the city? The threat of imminent domain was nonesense, and if I was Irsay, I would have done the same thing with my company. And I love Maryland, Baltimore, went to the University of Maryland..... There is no debating the condition of the Colts as they neared moving - they (at every level) were about as bad as a prodcut can be, and perhaps the worst any pro sports team could be. Irsay shares a large portion of blame.

As the Colts moved, the Orioles were contending for titles, and won in 1983 as I'm sure you know. They asked for a stadium too, and you're right they got one - in 1992. A long time, when Memorial was literally crumbling. And a decade too late for being competitive. Camden is empty now too.

We just keep taking from Baltimore, don't we...

One of the first things that popped into my mind after hearing about this is whether our defense will transition to a 3-4 now

I don't see how Pagano will have much of a say in the micro-management of the defense. That's not going to be his job. He's going to be the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. I wish people would get this through their heads. He's going to have to delegate, not micro-manage. He's going to have to motivate, not teach guys to run routes. He's going to have to instill confidence and a belief in his philosophy, not help devise audibles.

Just because he was a defensive coach doesn't mean he will be "defensive-minded". In fact, I doubt half of the people here even know what they are suggesting when they say that.

All that aside, this is an exciting time for the Colts. If/when Manning comes back, we could have a bright reign to end his storied career. Luck can carry towels for all I care.

Lacy doesn't really suck...he just isn't a starting quality CB. I blame the Colts coaching staff more so than Lacy. The Colts tried to force a square peg into a round hole and Lacy was exposed. Lacy is a nickle or dime corner which is where he played his first season. I recall many fans being satisfied with his play just last year. What a difference a year and some questionable roster management makes.

That said...if Pagano and Grigson can upgrade the quality of our current DB's then I'm all for it.

I agree. Lacey has some NFL calibur talent but it isn't as a shutdown starter quality talent. If he was a Safety (and had about 30 more pounds) he would be pretty good there but I do think the coaches did not help him in succeeding in his craft.I say sign him to a low rate 2-3 year deal and see if he has anything under the new coaching.

If Atlanta told Coke you can go, but your brand, image, colors, and history are ours, how would they have responded? Detroit says to GM we're not reinvesting in you after years of producing jobs, revenue, tourism, attention to the city? The threat of imminent domain was nonesense, and if I was Irsay, I would have done the same thing with my company. And I love Maryland, Baltimore, went to the University of Maryland..... There is no debating the condition of the Colts as they neared moving - they (at every level) were about as bad as a prodcut can be, and perhaps the worst any pro sports team could be. Irsay shares a large portion of blame.

As the Colts moved, the Orioles were contending for titles, and won in 1983 as I'm sure you know. They asked for a stadium too, and you're right they got one - in 1992. A long time, when Memorial was literally crumbling. And a decade too late for being competitive. Camden is empty now too.

I'm wincing, because we are inches away from getting smacked for derailing the thread, but I maintain that sports teams are completely different than any other business. This is largely reflected in the fact that they are almost universally the ego stroking toy of a wealthy man, not a traditional for-profit business. If they aren't prepared to be tied to a community indefinetly, they shouldn't buy the team in the first place. One goes hand in hand with the other. Coke and GM are loved the world over, but the location of their administrative offices is wholy irrelevent. Coke can leverage Atlanta for tax breaks, or move to Houstan, and their 4 billion "fans" aren't likely to know, and certainly wouldn't care even if they did. But a sports teams entire justification for existance is to provide entertainment, identity and pride to a specific locality. There is a reason that they call a team the Indianoplis Colts, not the Irsay Colts. If an owner wants to move, he has every right to sell the team and get the heck out of Dodge - but take his team with him? Selfish and irresponsible doesn't begin to describe it (don't forget how the Irsay's got to Baltimore in the first place - that didn't impact the fans one iota).

I'm actually a lifelong NJ resident. My former employer used to do some work for a big home builder in the state called Garden Homes. One of the owners is Ziggy Wilf, so I was intrigued when he became the principal behind the Minnesotta Vikings. That's Vikings, as in an ancient people from northern Europe. A name reflecting the ancestors and culture of a significant percentage of people living in that region. The teams been there for 50+ years, and has heated rivalies going back to day one with Green Bay and Chicago in particular based on geographic location - impacting the hearts and minds of literally tens of millions of people. But you think it would be OK for Ziggy to up and move the team to Hillside NJ, because he's tired of the commute or something? After all, it's "his" team. It doesn't work that way.

I don't see how Pagano will have much of a say in the micro-management of the defense. That's not going to be his job. He's going to be the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. I wish people would get this through their heads. He's going to have to delegate, not micro-manage. He's going to have to motivate, not teach guys to run routes. He's going to have to instill confidence and a belief in his philosophy, not help devise audibles.

Just because he was a defensive coach doesn't mean he will be "defensive-minded". In fact, I doubt half of the people here even know what they are suggesting when they say that.

All that aside, this is an exciting time for the Colts. If/when Manning comes back, we could have a bright reign to end his storied career. Luck can carry towels for all I care.

I had to go through 5 pages of posts to find this. You saved me from posting it. We hired a HC, not a DC.

I agree. I thought of that and posted it in another thread. It all (should) depend on who Pagano wants as his D coordinator. If that guy wants to run the 4-3, then that's what we will do. And if he wants to run the 3-4 and thinks we have the personnel for his 3-4 scheme to be successful, then that's what we'll do

I just want to know when and how will I be notified about my SB tickets, and I hope I get to sit in my usual ST seats. Seriously though, new to twitter, anybody know how and when the winner will be notified?

The same way you were notified of the contest.

I'm not a member, but I've read Irsay's Tweets enough to know that he runs contests all the time. His assistant Abby will pick someone out of a hat, he'll Tweet about it and his assistant will follow up.

The same way you were notified of the contest.

I'm not a member, but I've read Irsay's Tweets enough to know that he runs contests all the time. His assistant Abby will pick someone out of a hat, he'll Tweet about it and his assistant will follow up.

If Twitter ever needs to advertise Jim Irsay better be the first person they call on to be a spokesman for it.

If Twitter ever needs to advertise Jim Irsay better be the first person they call on to be a spokesman for it.

Tell me about it. I don't like or use "social media" (well, aside from this forum I guess :) ), but I appreciate Irsay's enthusiasm. He seems to relish it and certainly gets the most out of it. More power to him.

when will you "get it through your head" that you're not always right about everything? lol you do realize that several coaches call their own defensive plays and several coaches call their own offensive plays? i'm not saying that it's a given that Pagano will do this, but for you to act like it's beyond the realm of possibilities when people suggest it is absurd.

This is a good hire IMO as long as he doesn't try to bring along Cam Cameron.. Cam is horrible

This guy has never been a HC at any level, I think I would very much like to see him bring along Cam and a strong DC. He will be learning the ropes on the fly so a strong staff is a must.

Decent hire, only time will tell if it will be great, horrible or just ... decent.

Rookie GM, Rookie HC.... Manning soon to be released? I have a feeling we are headed for a heavy dose of Jim Irsay involved in everyday opperations I don't know if that will turn out to be a good thing or not.

Ok, lets get this party started and get to work.

I'm going to ask a question. Many people who were all for firing Jim Caldwell made the claim that he was not a good coach and that he just road the coattails of Peyton Manning; yet many of those same people are lauding the hiring of Pagano because of how great the Ravens D was in his one year as DC. The question is, why don't you think he just road the coattails of Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, and Reed?

Perhaps, but at least the New HC has a pulse and personality;

So did Caldwell, if you watched his press conferences he was quite funny too.
seems to relate well to players.
So did Caldwell, at least that is what the players said.
1st year, heck get a pass with Luck at the helm.
So the new HC will get a pass with Luck, but Caldwell didn't get pass with Collins/Painter/Orlovsky>
I have not been this pumped about new D scheme (I hope) since tough Colts of 95 team.

So, in other words, you have no reason for not thinking he just road the coattails of his players. Thanks.

So did Caldwell, if you watched his press conferences he was quite funny too.

So did Caldwell, at least that is what the players said.

So the new HC will get a pass with Luck, but Caldwell didn't get pass with Collins/Painter/Orlovsky>

So, in other words, you have no reason for not thinking he just road the coattails of his players. Thanks.

These r two completely diff types of coaches. Chuck would get in the their with the team when ray was doing his pre game speech and yell and dance. Caldwell funny??? Come on.

Jim Caldwell is that you??

These r two completely diff types of coaches. Chuck would get in the their with the team when ray was doing his pre game speech and yell and dance. Caldwell funny??? Come on.

So he's a better coach because he could go on American Idol or Dancing with the Stars during the offseason?
Jim Caldwell is that you??

Nope, just wondering why the same standards are not applied to the new coach?

So he's a better coach because he could go on American Idol or Dancing with the Stars during the offseason?

Nope, just wondering why the same standards are not applied to the new coach?

I didn't say he was a better coach and I said he's in the middle when ray Lewis does his dancing and yelling and stuff. Why r u salty. These r diff types of coaches. One was a qb coach then HC one was a dc then a HC. One doesn't show emotion one does. Doesn't play into ability of coaching at all but they are diff. So don't say they r the same

I didn't say he was a better coach and I said he's in the middle when ray Lewis does his dancing and yelling and stuff.

That may have been what you meant but your sentence structure was that Pagano would yell and dance.
Why r u salty.
Salty? I guess because I'm an old sea dog.
These r diff types of coaches. One was a qb coach then HC one was a dc then a HC. One doesn't show emotion one does. Doesn't play into ability of coaching at all but they are diff. So don't say they r the same

No doubt they are different. That is not what I'm asking. I'm asking why the same standards are not applied to Pagano as were to Caldwell?

That may have been what you meant but your sentence structure was that Pagano would yell and dance.

Salty? I guess because I'm an old sea dog.

No doubt they are different. That is not what I'm asking. I'm asking why the same standards are not applied to Pagano as were to Caldwell?

What standards??????

Actions are the only things that will speak louder than words.

Will our opponents' pass completion pct. go down with Pagano as coach? Will he surround himself with the right staff that can mentor Luck as well if we choose to hedge our bets with Luck? Caldwell may have survived if he had a better DC than Coyer and a better ST coach, IMO.

The proof will only be found in the results. But if I personally believed that we were a .500 team with a QB other than Painter or Orlovsky with the team Polian put together, even without Peyton, then this coach should be able to fulfill such expectations too when year 2 hits for a rookie QB. QB being the toughest position to transition from college to NFL, I would hold back my excessive optimism for Luck to turn this franchise around in a year. But, if the coach cannot get the most out of the talent on this team to have us in the playoffs by year 2, questions will have to be asked.

The case of Jim Harbaugh goes against all odds, IMO. College coaches succeeding in the NFL first, and then the massive turnaround that Harbaugh had. Maybe, he struck the iron while it was hot. He first coached University of San Diego, then Stanford, now the 49ers. Maybe he realized that by the time he completed year 5 or 6 in any single program, the odds will even out and it was in his best interest to move on quickly. If the 49ers can reproduce what they did this year for a couple more years, then I will sing a different tune. But we have all seen a 1-15 team go 11-5 with Chad Pennington, and all kinds of 1 year transformations but the odds even out eventually if the coaching excellence cannot be sustained.

What standards??????

This.

I'm going to ask a question. Many people who were all for firing Jim Caldwell made the claim that he was not a good coach and that he just road the coattails of Peyton Manning; yet many of those same people are lauding the hiring of Pagano because of how great the Ravens D was in his one year as DC. The question is, why don't you think he just road the coattails of Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, and Reed?

Did you not know what we were talking about? You probably just wanted to talk about how coach dances and yells.:)

This.

Did you not know what we were talking about? You probably just wanted to talk about how coach dances and yells. :)

If we start losing, they will.

This is a tough situation we're in.

New HC with no HC experience.

New GM with no GM experience.

It's going to be interesting to see who the coordinators are, because, so far, there are a lot of learning curves to overcome.