Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England @ Arizona

dgambill

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

That holding call really messed things up...why didn't they keep running?

They gained 1 yard and I would not have been comfortable with them settling for a 50+ yd FG with that kicker, especially when they were moving the ball through the air just fine.

6 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Why are they so lucky....

They aren't. They are well coached and we'll run and prepared for injuries because their backups just do their job. Plain and simple. That's what good coaching looks like. Not just on Sunday's but mon-sat too. Sorry but this team isn't going anywhere for a long time. BB and TB will be relevant long into Lucks career.

Just now, runthepost said:

:hide: BB and painter would still make the playoffs 

Don't get carried away..........

And please people don't get overly jealous of the Patriots, aren't you all used to this? I am. It's been the same old same old for a long long time now. lmao 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I'm not surprised whatsoever. The AFC East was 0-3 till the Pats won. Garropolo is better than advertised. Yes, the system is an awesome system, McDaniels is a very good OC.

Dude the way that offense is run they run several pick plays a game you or me could probably hit a guy that is that wide open.

1 minute ago, buffalo34 said:

They gained 1 yard and I would not have been comfortable with them settling for a 50+ yd FG with that kicker, especially when they were moving the ball through the air just fine.

Makes sense. Just blah. What a gaffe by the cardinals tonight. 

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Dude the way that offense is run they run several pick plays a game you or me could probably hit a guy that is that wide open.

The key is they time it so bang bang that the ball is released just as the wideout makes a pick making it hard to call. They adjust to the existing rules and stretch it as much as they can, no doubt. However, they find ways to get the most out of everyone on their roster while other coaches try putting square pegs in round holes, IMO.

Cards have been crap too since the playoffs started last year, well since the final week I think of the regular season vs. Seattle. GB could have beaten them IMO but they also dropped a few Palmer picks that the Panthers a week later gladly scooped up.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They aren't. They are well coached and we'll run and prepared for injuries because their backups just do their job. Plain and simple. That's what good coaching looks like. Not just on Sunday's but mon-sat too. Sorry but this team isn't going anywhere for a long time. BB and TB will be relevant long into Lucks career.

I'm not denying their superior coaching, but the shanked kick was lucky.

1 minute ago, snkdy said:

Fortune favors the brave and the ones who make it matter. Both the Broncos and Patriots made it matter at the end coming down to a FG and both won on a missed FG. :)

11 minutes ago, snkdy said:

I think you create your own luck. They were very very well prepared for this game. They gave them self the opportunity to win the game. That team is so well coached and so well run when you can change out players etc and still get this result...well when Tom gets back it will get even tougher for the rest of the league. Give BB more than a week to game plan and I'm sorry he has the advantage...Gronk and TB or no Gronk and TB.

40 minutes ago, Jules said:

Don't get carried away..........

And please people don't get overly jealous of the Patriots, aren't you all used to this? I am. It's been the same old same old for a long long time now. lmao 

Exactly...but then again BB wouldn't have PAinter on his team. He expects all his guys to be ready to play and step up when called upon. BB wouldn't have let Painter hang around so many years. He had Brady ready when Bledsoe went down and he had cassell ready when tom went down and he had Jimmy ready this year knowing Tom was going to be out 4 games. He wouldn't be caught unprepared with a Painter on the sideline. He would recognize long before he couldn't play and replaced him.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Good luck getting pats fans to agree to that.  

It's the right quarterback in the right scheme with the right complimentary players.  Coach and GM select the QB, set the schemes, and select the complimentary players.  Belichick drafted a bunch of QBs before Jimmy G. and had a good season with Matt Cassel.

Maybe we should do what Polian did, draft for a system, perfect the system. However, Polian did draft the pass rushers that could make the system work with Freeney and Mathis. Dungy and his coaches made the rest of the system work.

Dungy and Ron Meeks, despite their lack of aggression and man CBs, did their best to teach the system well and when you had the safeties in Bethea and Sanders healthy together, they could fly and it was hard to pass on us. But then, they did not invest much on bulk in the middle of the DL, or retaining defensive talent or take a few risks by investing in man CBs and blitzing more knowing Peyton was in his prime and could handle a few risks gone bad if it meant there were rewards every now and then, that is what Gregg Williams and the Saints did when they won their SB, they did not sit back in Cover 2 and let opponents dink and dunk.

One thing in stark contrast to the Pagano era - we started fast, and in games we were slightly behind, came out roaring after the half with adjustments.

12 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

So what if the Patriots go 4-0 in this stretch? Does it validate the argument that it's not so much the QB, but the coaching and the system?

Joe Montana must be an overrated system QB too, right? 

Hell the Niners won it with a different QB after he left, so he clearly wasn't essential either.......

*hint: being an all time dynasty requires the marriage of coach and QB

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think you create your own luck. They were very very well prepared for this game. They gave them self the opportunity to win the game. That team is so well coached and so well run when you can change out players etc and still get this result...well when Tom gets back it will get even tougher for the rest of the league. Give BB more than a week to game plan and I'm sorry he has the advantage...Gronk and TB or no Gronk and TB.

Plus just the bounce of the ball luck. Not much luck in turning it over twice that led to 14 pts for the Cards.

So it tends to work out. Football is a game of inches and bounce of the ball (luck)

I would love to go thru a season here without "you were lucky" and all the other multitude of excuses.

Not holding my breath on that :)

Now watch Jimmy G do well and we get a QB controversy. lol.

53 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Plus just the bounce of the ball luck. Not much luck in turning it over twice that led to 14 pts for the Cards.

So it tends to work out. Football is a game of inches and bounce of the ball (luck)

I would love to go thru a season here without "you were lucky" and all the other multitude of excuses.

Not holding my breath on that :)

Now watch Jimmy G do well and we get a QB controversy. lol.

Like a stock, sell high. Just wait for a starting QB to go down in the middle of the season and watch the Pats, after Brady has been in for a few games, trade Garropolo for a first rounder :(

14 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Time for a wide right miss.

It was actually wide left LOL. I see the Patriots are in your nightmares again! I cant stand them either but they are great so it is what it is. They have the best Coach of all-time who knows how to run a team and the perfect system. Free Agents always want to go there as well so I don't see them dropping off anytime soon unless BB decides to retire at the end of the season.

Tom Brady is the best qb of this generation...but it is nice to see Bill get some credit now. Goes to show that that staff and him do a whole lot to help this team become one of the all time great franchise's in history. We are talking the Lombardi Packers, Knoll Steelers, Walsh 49ers, Belichek Patriots here...he doesn't get enough credit in my opinion...and that's scary because he is widely known as the best coach in the game....but its a wide margin and I don't see anyone jumping up to take that mantle away.