Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seahawks considering protest during anthem as a team

RockThatBlue

Interesting.  I can't figure out what they're protesting.  What does the Star Spangled Banner have to do with supporting racial inequality?

I thought it was a song about celebrating a war that brought independence from a King who wanted our money but did not want us to have any input into policy, which effects everybody.

Maybe they just want the viewing public to know that even though they "earned" a college degree, passing 7th grade was a challenge.

These are Seattle players, right?

So, as near as I can figure, because the song was written at a time when slavery was the norm in the world, a country that has its national anthem based on a song that was written at that time must be rejected as a national anthem...even though the song has nothing to do with slavery?  Wow, the length to which people fabricate victimhood and display fake outrage is getting ridiculous.

So we have to reject a song because it was written at the time the country supported slavery by people who supported slavery, even though the focus of the protest, the song, has nothing to do with slavery?

Golly, one of those founding fathers of the country, who helped form a country that supported slavery, Ben Franklin, discovered electricity.  

So will the Seahawks be protesting our use of electricity?  

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Interesting.  I can't figure out what they're protesting.  What does the Star Spangled Banner have to do with supporting racial inequality?

I thought it was a song about celebrating a war that brought independence from a King who wanted our money but did not want us to have any input into policy, which effects everybody.

Maybe they just want the viewing public to know that even though they "earned" a college degree, passing 7th grade was a challenge.

These are Seattle players, right?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, as near as I can figure, because the song was written at a time when slavery was the norm in the world, a country that has its national anthem based on a song that was written at that time must be rejected as a national anthem...even though the song has nothing to do with slavery?  Wow, the length to which people fabricate victimhood and display fake outrage is getting ridiculous.

So we have to reject a song because it was written at the time the country supported slavery by people who supported slavery, even though the focus of the protest, the song, has nothing to do with slavery?

Golly, one of those founding fathers of the country, who helped form a country that supported slavery, Ben Franklin, discovered electricity.  

So will the Seahawks be protesting our use of electricity?  

You really can't surmise the rationale of this form of protest??? The idea isn't to be disrespectful to Veterans, the idea is to call attention to what some deem to be questionable human rights issues, and has become a legitimately considerable issue within the past few years...

If the 'Star Spangled Banner' truly just stands for a war that happened almost two and a half centuries ago, then why do people care about whether someone stands or not anyways, but you know this...

28 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

There are better ways to fight inequality. 

Anyone wanna tell me why the true story of the Titans (high school) can't be true in real schools? I'm pretty sure inequality was a bigger deal then but what ever. But why teach our children tolerance? 

Most children don't need to be taught tolerance, it is the intolerance that is the learned behavior...

27 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

You really can't surmise the rationale of this form of protest??? The idea isn't to be disrespectful to Veterans, the idea is to call attention to what some deem to be questionable human rights issues, and has become a legitimately considerable issue within the past few years...

If the 'Star Spangled Banner' truly just stands for a war that happened almost two and a half centuries ago, then why do people care about whether someone stands or not anyways, but you know this...

It seems to me if you want to bring positive attention to a cause you feel strongly about,   making a large portion of the country mad isn't the best way to do it.  

38 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Well, the article mentioned "racial inequality" so I assume that is the basis of the protest against the song.  But who knows, some people are experienced in advancement through whining so this protest could be applied to any issue of the day.  

There is such a thing as a justified war.  When you are a colony and are being taxed without any form of representation, and the King sends troops to enforce it, that is a form of oppression.  And only violence can solve it.  Of course, the civil war was also based on the principles of oppression, but it seems that only that war is never protested...interesting. 

Why the protesters would protest a song that is anti-oppression, just because it celebrates a successful war, seems to be a real stretch of logic, IMO.

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It seems to me if you want to bring positive attention to a cause you feel strongly about,   making a large portion of the country mad isn't the best way to do it.  

True, some may consider the tactics questionable, but making a statement saying human rights trumps blind American nationalism is obviously gaining traction if an entire team is considering following suit...

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's not going to appease everyone, nor should he try to. He's not playing the role of peacemaker. He wants justice and fair treatment for all minorities. I'm tired of people trying to deflect from the issues he's protesting against. It's infuriating and depressing, especially for us black people who've actually experienced what he's talking about. It's a big ole slap in our face.

Well.....this may not be a popular opinion, but if you ask me the NFL has over done it a bit with the flag waving since 9/11 did happen. It's one thing to show pride in your country but sometimes it feels like they down right promote war in this league and nothing but military recruitment. The GIANT field sized flags.......the constant reminder of the troops......the hate against those who want to not partake in it.

Sometimes it does go overboard.

You don't see this kind of thing as much in the NBA and you don't see as much ridicule in the NBA when star players do protest things:

0584983001418189578_usatodaysportsimages

lebron-james-i-cant-breathe-eric-garner.

In some ways this recent stuff with Kaepernick and possibly now the Seahawks is just showing how easy it is to work up this country into a frenzy over something......anything

Most people don't even care until someone goes against the grain here despite cries of so much freedom. In fact, if you ever go to an NFL game many people are not even paying attention to the national anthem. Many are in beer lines or going to the bathroom etc. lmao 

I wish this never happened though since I knew as soon as Kaep did it that it would cause an uproar since American football at all levels is VERY patriotic to the point of excess and it's a kiss of death. So when it did happen I did cringe but in a way as time goes on I don't mind it as much since I do like to see people have a cause and stick to it.

Also it's easy to say "Kaep is not oppressed!" and that can be a lazy argument. Many people don't have to be actual victims of something, but they can still care about those who are. And no matter what you can't please everyone with how you donate money to charity or what you do on the side. Someone here will always be unhappy with your choices.

15 minutes ago, Jules said:

Well.....this may not be a popular opinion, but if you ask me the NFL has over done it a bit with the flag waving since 9/11 did happen. It's one thing to show pride in your country but sometimes it feels like they down right promote war in this league and nothing but military recruitment. The GIANT field sized flags.......the constant reminder of the troops......the hate against those who want to not partake in it.

Sometimes it does go overboard.

You don't see this kind of thing as much in the NBA and you don't see as much ridicule in the NBA when star players do protest things:

0584983001418189578_usatodaysportsimages

lebron-james-i-cant-breathe-eric-garner.

In some ways this recent stuff with Kaepernick and possibly now the Seahawks is just showing how easy it is to work up this country into a frenzy over something......anything

Most people don't even care until someone goes against the grain here despite cries of so much freedom. In fact, if you ever go to an NFL game many people are not even paying attention to the national anthem. Many are in beer lines or going to the bathroom etc. lmao 

I wish this never happened though since I knew as soon as Kaep did it that it would cause an uproar since American football at all levels is VERY patriotic to the point of excess and it's a kiss of death. So when it did happen I did cringe but in a way as time goes on I don't mind it as much since I do like to see people have a cause and stick to it.

Also it's easy to say "Kaep is not oppressed!" and that can be a lazy argument. Many people don't have to be actual victims of something, but they can still care about those who are. And no matter what you can't please everyone with how you donate money to charity or what you do on the side. Someone here will always be unhappy with your choices.

I wish the NFL would do away with its over the top patriotic pregame crap.  It just seems cheap.  It seems quite popular for big business to wrap themselves in the flag.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I wish the NFL would do away with its over the top patriotic pregame crap.  It just seems cheap.  It seems quite popular for big business to wrap themselves in the flag.

We need bigger flags. CLEARLY.

I mean come on........flags this big are almost obnoxious IMO. 

2 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

And yet it is to a large segment of Veterans.

At least Kaep is now deciding to donate money to help a cause. That's kind of a plus. But it was kind of... after the fact.

No certain group of people will ever be happy with our country. They take a few bad apples and decide the sky is falling. If they really want to help, they should show up in Chicago and help clean those streets up. I'd like to see how they feel after a couple months on the job of Chicago PD.

4 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

True, some may consider the tactics questionable, but making a statement saying human rights trumps blind American nationalism is obviously gaining traction if an entire team is considering following suit...

It seems to be a fashionable thing to criticize nationalism these days.  I'm not sure what in what social circles this criticism is considered the superior position. 

Why would a reasonably thinking team think that the Star Spangled Banner is a symbol of human rights infractions?  Coming from a blind perspective that war itself is a human rights violation?   

I'm not sure how a soldier who volunteers to die for their beliefs has their rights violated when they die for their beliefs.  

OTOH, drafting soldiers against their will to fight in ANY war is a clear violation of their human rights.  So when young males were forced by the Union army to fight the Confederate States it was a huge violation of their human rights, as was drafting young males to fight the Nazis in Europe.  Funny, I don't think NFL players will protest the killing of drafted males in the civil war, nor would media moguls coddle any protest of drafting young males to die in the the european theater.  Hmmm, I never hear many protests over the civil war or WWII, even though plenty of young males were drafted against their will.

I've come to the conclusion that protesters are simply uninformed, uneducated, ignoramuses seeking attention.  They just parrot what they think is cool, and then it gains traction because of blind parroting by other protesters seeking attention. 

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I will play Devil's Advocate. A "large portion of the country" gets "mad" whenever someone or a group of people challenges the status quo. People got "mad" when people fought against slavery, when women fought for the right to vote, when sports were being integrated, etc. If folks had not challenged the status quo, many of the players you root for today would be playing in some segregated league. 

There are more respectful and more effective ways to bring about change. But you will always get a segment of the population that gets "mad" whenever people are calling for change. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It seems to be a fashionable thing to criticize nationalism these days.  I'm not sure what in what social circles this criticism is considered the superior position. 

Why would a reasonably thinking team think that the Star Spangled Banner is a symbol of human rights infractions?  Coming from a blind perspective that war itself is a human rights violation?   

I'm not sure how a soldier who volunteers to die for their beliefs has their rights violated when they die for their beliefs.  

OTOH, drafting soldiers against their will to fight in ANY war is a clear violation of their human rights.  So when young males were forced by the Union army to fight the Confederate States it was a huge violation of their human rights, as was drafting young males to fight the Nazis in Europe.  Funny, I don't think NFL players will protest the killing of drafted males in the civil war, nor would media moguls coddle any protest of drafting young males to die in the the european theater.  Hmmm, I never hear many protests over the civil war or WWII, even though plenty of young males were drafted against their will.

I've come to the conclusion that protesters are simply uninformed, uneducated, ignoramuses seeking attention.  They just parrot what they think is cool, and then it gains traction because of blind parroting by other protesters seeking attention

Ha...

that's a rather tolerant conclusion towards a peaceful form of protest...

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

To do it on 9/11, is just so wrong. I get that it's a free country and you've a right to protest. But Jesus Christ 

Yeah no kidding. That is the worst day to do it. That will do nothing to help their cause. In fact it will probably make more people hate it. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I will play Devil's Advocate. A "large portion of the country" gets "mad" whenever someone or a group of people challenges the status quo. People got "mad" when people fought against slavery, when women fought for the right to vote, when sports were being integrated, etc. If folks had not challenged the status quo, many of the players you root for today would be playing in some segregated league. 

There are more respectful and more effective ways to bring about change. But you will always get a segment of the population that gets "mad" whenever people are calling for change. 

I'm still mad women got the right to vote.......

54 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

What are you getting at? That response makes no sense to what I said.  You seem to be posting just to be argumentative.

Your initial post seemed to suggest that protestors, (in this case Seattle joining in with the protest to the National Anthem), were exhibiting an example of herd mentality, you also said that the concept could be observed all over the place. I was simply agreeing. One could argue this concept can be observed in protestors, as well as within the group that is showing high level of contempt for those protesting...

51 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Your initial post seemed to suggest that protestors, (in this case Seattle joining in with the protest to the National Anthem), were exhibiting an example of herd mentality, you also said that the concept could be observed all over the place. I was simply agreeing. One could argue this concept can be observed in protestors, as well as within the group that is showing high level of contempt for those protesting...

Did I ever state there was only one 'mob'?  No.  Did I state if their point of view was right or wrong? No.  I simply stated that their was truth to what they said.  Personally I think it is all a big joke.  What will come from all this, pretty much nothing.  It's just the flavor of the week that gets blown up by the news and social media, just like the ALS ice bucket challenge, occupy Wall Street, and all the other recent 'trending' hot topics. 

It all reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes.  "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. "

7 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha...

that's a rather tolerant conclusion towards a peaceful form of protest...

Being tolerant these days is just a popular fad with no substance.  So being intolerant certainly is no criticism, but people seem to use those two words as a form of judgement.  Its a popular word to use.

But I'm intolerant of protests that make no sense.

With all of the players joining in, has anybody given a clear explanation of what exactly they are protesting and how the SSB symbolizes the issue?

I'll be waiting for NFL players to protest Abraham Lincoln drafting young males, forcing them to kill others or be killed in the Civil War.

I think I'll try to get on Mike and Mike and tell Greenberg how we should protest FDR drafting young males, forcing them to kill others or be killed in Europe during WWII.