Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Limited in Practice with Shoulder Injury

BullsColtsFan1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Welp, I'm chalking it up to "gamesmanship" until I see someone other than Luck under center on Sunday. But, not cool to be quite honest.

It could be gamesmanship, but I don't know why. Our choice of QB isn't going to change their gameplan at this point. And with the way the league discourages playing with the injury report, that just doesn't seem like a beast worth poking. 

Mike Chappell reported yesterday that Luck "looked fine when media watched early portion of practice." Today he didn't do anything during that portion of practice. 

Definitely out of the ordinary.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Dakich asked Grigson on this and Grigson adamantly denied this and said Luck is fully healthy, he stressed the fully healthy thing. Grigson flat out said No when asked, no cliche' etc. it was a flat NO 

Certainly hope that is correct, but hard for me to fully believe the Colts when it comes to injuries.  Especially when it's Luck.  They weren't honest about the situation just last year.  Also seems odd to me that he would be practicing without limitation for so long and now all the sudden is limited and we are told it's part of the "plan".  So the plan only started a few days before the regular season?  I'm not worried about him missing the game, but will admit i do have some concern that there is still some issue with the shoulder that could perhaps affect his performance.

I don't see how this can't make everyone raise an eyebrow, regardless of what Grigs and Chuck say. I will only be concerned if Luck is listed as Questionable tomorrow. If Grigs is being truthful, then Luck playing is not in doubt, meaning he would not have anything listed for his game status. Questionable is now defined as "uncertain if a player will play," and there is no probable (just a reminder since this is a change from previous years). 

If there truly isn't an issue, I feel like there is a bit of try-hardness going on here--it is kinda rubbing it in people's face to have Luck only do hand-offs during media portion. At the same time, I assume the best use of his throwing is during the non-media portion, so if they are really resting him, it would make sense to have his reps be most effective. If really rest, the Colts should have said this would happen a week or so ago to ease everyone freaking out. 

10 minutes ago, Larry Horseman said:

I don't see how this can't make everyone raise an eyebrow, regardless of what Grigs and Chuck say. I will only be concerned if Luck is listed as Questionable tomorrow. If Grigs is being truthful, then Luck playing is not in doubt, meaning he would not have anything listed for his game status. Questionable is now defined as "uncertain if a player will play," and there is no probable (just a reminder since this is a change from previous years). 

If there truly isn't an issue, I feel like there is a bit of try-hardness going on here--it is kinda rubbing it in people's face to have Luck only do hand-offs during media portion. At the same time, I assume the best use of his throwing is during the non-media portion, so if they are really resting him, it would make sense to have his reps be most effective. If really rest, the Colts should have said this would happen a week or so ago to ease everyone freaking out. 

I think after what happened last season the team is just taking every precaution possible. Shoulder and Kidney injuries are not be taken lightly. Grigs, Pags, and Irsay know if Luck gets injured or cant stay 100% healthy we are screwed. Once we kept him out of the Buffalo game that showed me we were just going to rest him a lot until the season started. He got quite of few reps against Philly but that is normal for a 3rd Pre-season game for starters to play and necessary. I think if Luck had any lingering affects from last season he wouldn't of played at all in Pre-season. I wouldn't worry about this. Grigs said today on the Dakich show that Luck was 100% healthy.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think after what happened last season the team is just taking every precaution possible. Shoulder and Kidney injuries are not be taken lightly. Grigs, Pags, and Irsay know if Luck gets injured or cant stay 100% healthy we are screwed. Once we kept him out of the Buffalo game that showed me we were just going to rest him a lot until the season started. He got quite of few reps against Philly but that is normal for a 3rd Pre-season game for starters to play and necessary. I think if Luck had any lingering affects from last season he wouldn't of played at all in Pre-season. I wouldn't worry about this. Grigs said today on the Dakich show that Luck was 100% healthy.

I agree with all this, but I just can't buy in to it 100%. I think the out of nowhere thing is what's throwing me off. The designation tomorrow will go a long way in bringing clarity. 

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Welp, I'm chalking it up to "gamesmanship" until I see someone other than Luck under center on Sunday. But, not cool to be quite honest.

If we have to rely on gamesmanship then we are truly in trouble.  Lions are gonna prepare to play the Colts with Luck. 

It could be the Luck's shoulder, just like Allen's hip, is going to get sore with use and has to be rested.  That's the thing about injuries to joints.  Joints are very complex and you never know what you're gonna get once they heal.   Hopefully, it's just a little soreness.  I don't believe for a minute that they would limit a 100% healthy Luck and keep him from throwing.  Throwing is what QBs do.  

On September 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM, SteelCityColt said:

60893221.jpg

On September 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM, SilentHill said:

I'm going with a conspiracy theory. Kinda like when the Patriots put Brady on their injury reports with a "shoulder injury".

When I read these 2 responses, I said to myself maybe this is film director Oliver Stone's next picture: 'Facial Hair, Physical Limitations, & The Championship Aspirations That Never Came To Be Fulfilled Under Luck.'

Relax, I'm just goofing around. It does sound like something Stone would release after the 'Snowden' picture though. I never believe his crazy theories, but Oliver is a fascinating filmmaker though just on presentation alone. 

This is why I was against signing Luck to the highest contract in NFL history.  He was coming off of a very serious injury, and even before the injury, he was still making many of the same mistakes he has his entire career.  The Colts had a better record last year with HB compared to Luck.  What does that tell you?

Anyone without a blind fold on could see there was something wrong with Luck last year.  Many of his balls were high floaters.  A sure sign of a weak shoulder as he tries to compensate for the lack of velocity.  So to have these issues crop up now?  After an off season of healing?  Not a good sign.  This is something chronic.  Something career threatening imo.  And this contract may cripple the Colts for years to come if so.  There was just no need to sign him to this contract now.  They should have waited for this season to see how he came back. Or if they wanted to sign him now, don't make him the highest paid player ever.....someone who has never led the league in passing.  It's ludicrous. 

It reminds me a lot of Manning and his neck.  Once it started going bad, the end was near.

19 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This is why I was against signing Luck to the highest contract in NFL history.  He was coming off of a very serious injury, and even before the injury, he was still making many of the same mistakes he has his entire career.  The Colts had a better record last year with HB compared to Luck.  What does that tell you?

Anyone without a blind fold on could see there was something wrong with Luck last year.  Many of his balls were high floaters.  A sure sign of a weak shoulder as he tries to compensate for the lack of velocity.  So to have these issues crop up now?  After an off season of healing?  Not a good sign.  This is something chronic.  Something career threatening imo.  And this contract may cripple the Colts for years to come if so.  There was just no need to sign him to this contract now.  They should have waited for this season to see how he came back. Or if they wanted to sign him now, don't make him the highest paid player ever.....someone who has never led the league in passing.  It's ludicrous. 

It reminds me a lot of Manning and his neck.  Once it started going bad, the end was near.

Good grief!

Just now, threeflight said:

I'm an athlete.  Play tons of sports.  I tore my rotator cuff last year and my shoulder will never be the same.  Look at Bert Jones for prime example #1 of what happens to a qb with a bad shoulder.

Luck is healthy, at least lets see how week 1 plays out before we jump to conclusions. I have been a Colts fan since 1984 and have played sports as well. This doom and gloom stuff by many people in here is silly.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

So what was the other option letting him walk?  He wasn't going to sign for less.

manning first injuried his neck in 2006.  He didn't miss a full season until 2011 for his neck and during that time won a couple of MVPs went to the Super Bowl twice and won it.  It's not like he was sprialing down after his neck.  It was wear and tear that took six years to finally bring him down.  That can happen to any player because football is a violent game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17497558/indianapolis-colts-quarterback-andrew-luck-play-limited-practice-due-right-shoulder

Grigson trying to calm everyone down.

for what it's worth no reason to worry if he will or won't play unless Morris is re-signed to the active roster.  They aren't going into a game with one healthy QB on the roster.  

I don't buy a single word the Colts say on injuries. They are the worst when it comes to how they report. All the way back to the Edgerrin knee injury.

I think he truly has lingering issues and they are trying to mitigate it buy throwing less. Problem with that is Luck is by far not a finished product mechanically and needs as many reps as he can get.

Find Drew Bree's doctor and get this fixed. Stat!

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.all22.com/indianapolis-colts/understanding-andrew-lucks-shoulder-injury

really good explanation of what is going on with Andrew.

If that article is correct and after doing some of my own reading I believe it sounds like every hit he takes there is an added risk because of the shoulder subluxation he will have to likely deal with the rest of his career. He is obviously going to take hits simply because the O Line is soft and how Luck plays. Tolzien has to be ready because I think the likelihood of him seeing at least some time in the regular season is fairly high especially going forward as time goes by again because he will take big hits and they will add up

On September 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM, threeflight said:

I'm an athlete.  Play tons of sports.  I tore my rotator cuff last year and my shoulder will never be the same.  Look at Bert Jones for prime example #1 of what happens to a qb with a bad shoulder.

Solid argument