Tracking Roster Cuts (75) Thread

BlueShoe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Everyone said:

Yeah, He's shown more than Ferguson IMO

I think Ferguson is a Grig's project.  He's probably going to the practice squad.  

I guess it's kind of like Eric Swoop his first year with the Colts.  There where probably TE's better then him on the field that got cut but Swoop was a project player for Grigs so he sent him to PS.  

I was a big Williams fan, but I think the problem is he's sort of too small to hold up in the passing game blocking wise.  Ferguson has a little more size on him, but low on experience with the NFL game.  Ferguson is worth a PS spot I think at the very least. The part of the game they kept playing Tre in told me they probably weren't going to keep him.  Once Ridley was brought in it was pretty much sealed.    Maybe they'll bring Tre back at some point. Who knows?

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

Swoope looks pretty good right now.  Still has some work to do in the run game, but overall he looks pretty good.

That's true. . . although to me Swoope is a very different case then Ferguson.  Swoope hadn't really played any football before and didn't really have a handle on many aspects of the game.  So he had to basically learn everything.

Ferguson should know most of the stuff.  I'm not sure how much higher his ceiling can be pushed.

Just seen where Paul Kruger was in the first wave of cuts for Browns. I know he only had 2.5 sacks last year but 12 the year before. Anybody think he could provide any help to a porous colts olb core? Im tossed on the idea because I think he is still good enough to be our 3rd best olb if he where signed but I'd also like to see Trevor Bates/Curt Magget develop. I know others like Okine but so far I haven't been impressed with him at olb. I think he should've stayed at DL. Id love to be wrong on him and see him tear it up in the regular season but I can see him getting the axe when we get to 53.

19 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Coaches are human. Favoritism happens. I find it hard to believe that someone who did as well as Junior Sylvestre last offseason got almost no playing time this season.

I wasn't the least bit impressed by Sylvestre last preseason so I'm not surprised he was cut.

11 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Just seen where Paul Kruger was in the first wave of cuts for Browns. I know he only had 2.5 sacks last year but 12 the year before. Anybody think he could provide any help to a porous colts olb core? Im tossed on the idea because I think he is still good enough to be our 3rd best olb if he where signed but I'd also like to see Trevor Bates/Curt Magget develop. I know others like Okine but so far I haven't been impressed with him at olb. I think he should've stayed at DL. Id love to be wrong on him and see him tear it up in the regular season but I can see him getting the axe when we get to 53.

I saw this and wondered as well. 2 years ago everyone was incredibly high on Kruger. What happened? Curse of the Browns? 

On 8/29/2016 at 9:51 AM, cjrulli said:
On 8/29/2016 at 9:39 AM, jchandler7 said:

I saw this and wondered as well. 2 years ago everyone was incredibly high on Kruger. What happened? Curse of the Browns? 

First two years with the Browns he played pretty well. He hit a wall last year for some reason though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

On 8/29/2016 at 0:09 PM, jimmy g said:
On 8/29/2016 at 10:11 AM, jchandler7 said:
First two years with the Browns he played pretty well. He hit a wall last year for some reason though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

Didn't he get hurt?

Not that I'm aware, he played all 16 games for them last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 *

3 hours ago, Everyone said:

Yeah, He's shown more than Ferguson IMO

You are basing this on a hanfull of carries IN PRESEASON!

i think the coaches/management have a little more insight into these guys as they've spent MANY hours watching them day in an day out at practice.  I'll trust them over an over-emotional fan with NO professional talent of evaluating players.

i think you should too.

i expect williams to be on the practice squad, where he really belongs at this point. Or ferguson will be there.  Maybe both, who knows.

but to think WE as fans have better insight into roster building is beyond dillusional:

A hard pass on Pot Roast... The only thing he has to offer is that he's fat and takes up space. His time as a productive NT are gone.

The only recently cut player I would kick the tires on is Schwartz. He was a very solid G , but has had a few injuries along the way. He'd at least give us a veteran presence on the interior OL.

7 minutes ago, jtrester said:

The Patriots just dumped Terrance Knighton...he might be a nice addition at nose tackle.

Wait, i thought Billy boy was a genius for bringing him in?

i'm not sure potroast is what we need.  The broncos, redskins, AND patriots all let him walk.

No huge surprises so far.

I think it's worth noting that the staff will probably have to cut at least one guy who deserves to make it if only because we have to roster our injured players and their replacements...

I also wouldn't be surprised if at least one guy who is cut from another team gets a spot on our final roster.

Edit: wrote this before I saw that Williams was cut... I'm a little surprised that he didn't make it through the first round of cuts, but ultimately don't see room on the final 53 for him or Ferg.

52 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

You are basing this on a hanfull of carries IN PRESEASON!

i think the coaches/management have a little more insight into these guys as they've spent MANY hours watching them day in an day out at practice.  I'll trust them over an over-emotional fan with NO professional talent of evaluating players.

i think you should too.

i expect williams to be on the practice squad, where he really belongs at this point. Or ferguson will be there.  Maybe both, who knows.

but to think WE as fans have better insight into roster building is beyond dillusional:

Check your tone,  I'm in no way an "over emotional fan".  I'm entitled to my own opinion and yes, from what I've seen in just the preseason he has shown more than Ferguson.  I've never claimed to be a professional talent evaluator nor have I said I could build a better roster than any staff in the NFL I just stated my opinion about one player.

1 hour ago, Everyone said:

Check your tone,  I'm in no way an "over emotional fan".  I'm entitled to my own opinion and yes, from what I've seen in just the preseason he has shown more than Ferguson.  I've never claimed to be a professional talent evaluator nor have I said I could build a better roster than any staff in the NFL I just stated my opinion about one player.

Check ur own tone.

mine is in check.

This was directed more at the "fire grigs" people.

i agree your opinion is no less "valuable"than mine.

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Check ur own tone.

mine is in check.

This was directed more at the "fire grigs" people.

i agree your opinion is no less "valuable"than mine.

You're going to quote me and say it's directed at someone else?  Makes sense.....

1 minute ago, Everyone said:

You're going to quote me and say it's directed at someone else?  Makes sense.....

Ok, then how about flip a coin between fergusen and williams.

because from what we've seen so far, thats as good of odds to pick who will be the better back going forward.

make sense?

6 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that his dip in production was due to scheme. He dropped back in coverage around 65% of the time. Hard to get sacks when you aren't rushing the passer. 

4 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Not that I'm aware, he played all 16 games for them last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I was wrong then. I thought he missed preseason last year or the year before with a knee injury.

I spend a day a week in Utah, where he grew up. He was a HS All American QB, then a DE in college, and an OLB in the pros. Can he play Guard  or CB for the Colts????

I'm surprised at the players you people are surprised got cut.

Oh man.....Ricky Lumpkin got cut?!  The guy who didn't get drafted, has barely ever played a meaningful NFL snap, and got cut already by 2 other teams and was a complete ghost for the Colts during this preseason? Who'd of thunk it.  

Wow color me surprised:  Trey Williams got cut?!  The 5-7 guy who didn't have the measurables to get drafted by any NFL team, and who tore it up this preseason to the tune of 8 rushes for 10 yards?!

17 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

I'm surprised at the players you people are surprised got cut.

Oh man.....Ricky Lumpkin got cut?!  The guy who didn't get drafted, has barely ever played a meaningful NFL snap, and got cut already by 2 other teams and was a complete ghost for the Colts during this preseason? Who'd of thunk it.  

Wow color me surprised:  Trey Williams got cut?!  The 5-7 guy who didn't have the measurables to get drafted by any NFL team, and who tore it up this preseason to the tune of 8 rushes for 10 yards?!

Lumpkin wasn't a ghost, that's the point. I think he caught my eye along the defensive line more than anyone save for TY McGill this preseason. I'm not going to lose sleep over his release, but I just think he showed enough to get a shot in game 4.

And his previous track record is largely irrelevant. There are plenty of very good players in this league who got cut by multiple teams before settling down. Just as no name UDFAs come in and impress every year.

Trey Williams is no surprise to me. I think as a whole our RBs are not very impressive.