Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL will suspend 4 players linked to Al Jazzera report if they fail to interview with Goodell

RockThatBlue

I wonder if this is just one more reason Peyton retired, because now, he doesn't have to put up with this bull. Not to say he's guilty, but just the convictions of it all and the drama... I certainly wouldn't want any part of it.

4 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Peyton retired, because now, he doesn't have to put up with this bull.

I get what you're saying RMDY & on some level, you're not wrong. I'm not talking about guilt here just the wisdom in making a clean break with nothing else to prove on a perfect HOF record. 

If I was Peyton, I wouldn't give a darn about what all the conspiracy enthusiasts might think. He cooperated with an NFL investigation & was cleared by the commissioner. 18 won't lose any sleep over it. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

The media is trying to make Peyton look bad over this.

Do-gooder role and favors?  These guys are knuckle heads who are just trying to get their quota of hits to keep their jobs. Since when is a bad thing to cooperate with an investigation?

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do-gooder role and favors?  These guys are knuckle heads who are just trying to get their quota of hits to keep their jobs. Since when is a bad thing to cooperate with an investigation?

Yeah, some fools always go after low hanging fruit out of convenience, a ratings bump, or they're just jealous of his fame, money, & beloved celebrity status that they will never reach themselves. 

Plus, when a famous person has been around for a long time like Peyton has, media personnel love to tear down icons particularly in sports. It's dumb, juvenile, & childish but it happens all the time. 

What I detest is when reporters will imply ridiculous inferences like if the other players weren't cleared then that must mean Goodell & Manning cut a shady deal in a backroom to let 18 walk away scot free. Like the mere accusation of wrong doing is the equivalent of actually committing the alleged crime in question. The thirst for click bait headlines often leads to a lack of investigative journalism or vetting sources just to meet a deadline. 

Someone is going to half to explain to me when or how Jason La Canfora suddenly became an overnight quoting machine too. He's a decent writer for CBS Sports, but I must have fallen asleep when Jason got named the Walter Cronkite sports authority figure on headline statements. 

I remember him on NFL Network. He never had anything profound to say & now, he's some sort of professional football quote whisper. Please. haha

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Someone is going to half to explain to me when or how Jason La Canfora suddenly became an overnight quoting machine too. He's a decent writer for CBS Sports, but I must have fallen asleep when Jason got named the Walter Cronkite sports authority figure on headline statements. 

I remember him on NFL Network. He never had anything profound to say & now, he's some sort of professional football quote whisper. Please. haha

He's always been a Peyton hater as well. He used to take shots at him back when Peyton played for the Colts on the NFL Network.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The NFL is using a hit piece from a now defunct Al Jazerra english channel that went under earlier this year & was trying to grab headlines if they believed Peyton Manning why threaten anyone else there story was proven to be false in 18's case it does'nt pass the smell test , The NFL can't have it both ways , If 18's innocent then so are the other players ..  

Here's the link to the story 

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/12/27/al-jazeera-investigates-secret-world-of-sports-doping.html

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They were wanting the allegations to be true since their golden child in NE is suspended for actual cheating. Lets face it, that is what they wanted and they are extremely butthurt over it.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Well, see, here's the thing...we, the people, are going to need you to know the difference between half and have before we go any further with anything else. :P lol

11 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Well, see, here's the thing...we, the people, are going to need you to know the difference between half and have before we go any further with anything else. :P lol

Touche Jason. It does appear that I'm in an altered state right now. You've got me dead to rights there. :D

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I wonder if this is just one more reason Peyton retired, because now, he doesn't have to put up with this bull. Not to say he's guilty, but just the convictions of it all and the drama... I certainly wouldn't want any part of it.

No.  Peyton retired because it was time.   

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

What a Crock of nonsense.    Peyton cooperated, because he had nothing to hide.    It's never a bad thing to cooperate.  Failure to cooperate  exudes dishonesty.

7 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The NFL is using a hit piece from a now defunct Al Jazerra english channel that went under earlier this year & was trying to grab headlines if they believed Peyton Manning why threaten anyone else there story was proven to be false in 18's case it does'nt pass the smell test , The NFL can't have it both ways , If 18's innocent then so are the other players ..  

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/12/27/al-jazeera-investigates-secret-world-of-sports-doping.html

I do believe the circumstances of the other players was different,  as I don't think Peytons wife was picking up for them too hahahahahaha

But realistically it's come down to another competition between the NFL and the nflpa over who's wang is bigger. NFL just wants to ask questions and look into it, nflpa sends letters from each player basically just saying they didn't do it, not even knowing the questions. Mike Neal's letter allegedly denied EVER failing a drug test, despite a previous suspension for PEDs in 2012. 

it's the Brady deflate gate nonsense back and forth all over again. The nflpa and Goodell are making a mockery of the system they all agreed upon in the CAB.  Its gotten way out of hand....

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Touche Jason. It does appear that I'm in an altered state right now. You've got me dead to rights there. :D

lol..yeah I too knew what you meant.  Just had to bust your chops a bit on that one. :D

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Peyton did the right thing, I'm not sure why the NFLPA or the players involved want to fight over this.  Go meet with the NFL, cooperate, and then move on.  Pick your battles wisely, this is not worth fighting over.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly!!!

14 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

18 was not proclaimed innocent till he co-operated and they did their investigation. Even if it is just an appeasement of NFL egos for players to co-operate, just provide a few details to at least show some co-operation, just my two cents. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

18 was not proclaimed innocent till he co-operated and they did their investigation. Even if it is just an appeasement of NFL egos for players to co-operate, just provide a few details to at least show some co-operation, just my two cents. 

Your probably right , Don't destroy your phone dudes & just co operate unlike the Patriots Organization .

IMO there's nothing there other than an attempt to grab headlines by those that used to be employed at Al Jazeera & a dude who would have done anything or said anything to get in the Rio Games .

17 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Except, at 29:05 and some time after, is the video of a catcher in the NL from the Cubs that admits to 'using' on camera.  The NL investigated and has suspended Taylor Teagarden 80 games this season.

I used it last year, I was very ... I was scared to be honest with you,” Teagarden said.  “I took it for like two weeks and I had a test four weeks after my last administration of it.  Nothing happened ... And I was also taking peptides too but they were all urine tests, no blood tests ... Once a year, maybe twice at most.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/player-named-in-al-jazeera-report-suspended-80-games-for-peds/

So there's is at least some 'there' there.  Not all were proven as false claims.

But Ryan Zimmerman and Ryan Howard, also linked to Delta2, have filed defamation lawsuits earlier this year.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Wow, this is a serious standoff.  Talk to us about this or your are out?

I would like for the NFL to disclose to the parties involved if they have any tiny shred of information or evidence (beyond that Al Jazeera report)  that would constitute further discussions with the implicated players.  If they do, I wish the players would cooperate.  If not, just let it go NFL.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think the only way anybody gets suspended is if they don't go in

I agree. The NFL wants this to go away. I don't expect anything to come out of this. The players should report for their "interviews" and no further action will be taken.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I agree. The NFL wants this to go away. I don't expect anything to come out of this. The players should report for their "interviews" and no further action will be taken.

That's the best point. The NFL doesnt want to suspend name players (I guess Michael Neal is only a name at Purdue) but they cant ignore this once it goes public...

....if they do, they're covering it up.....

I hope you are right....I like Julius Peppers and the others.....

..if they just go in and say they are innocent because  never failed a test

.....I think the league office clears them unless they test positive later

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I would respectfully disagree with this....

If the NFL really wanted this to go away,   it would go away.    The players have submitted sworn affidavits that the claim is false and nothing happened.      But they don't want to set president about accepting sworn affidavits being acceptable.

What's important to the NFL is that the commissioners broad powers be upheld and recognized by the players.   That's what's important to the league.     So if Goodell says come to New York and talk to me,   they expect the players to go and talk to the commish.      They don't want the players to hide behind the NFLPA.

This is an issue for the league,  whether the players want to acknowledge it or not....

12 hours ago, Gramz said:

What a Crock of nonsense.    Peyton cooperated, because he had nothing to hide.    It's never a bad thing to cooperate.  Failure to cooperate  exudes dishonesty.

I know, since when did cooperating with an investigation become a bad thing? He had nothing to hide so he cooperated quickly that would show he was innocent and to kill any rumors. Unlike some QB's we know.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would respectfully disagree with this....

If the NFL really wanted this to go away,   it would go away.    The players have submitted sworn affidavits that the claim is false and nothing happened.      But they don't want to set president about accepting sworn affidavits being acceptable.

What's important to the NFL is that the commissioners broad powers be upheld and recognized by the players.   That's what's important to the league.     So if Goodell says come to New York and talk to me,   they expect the players to go and talk to the commish.      They don't want the players to hide behind the NFLPA.

This is an issue for the league,  whether the players want to acknowledge it or not....

Okay. I don't disagree with you. We just expressed our points differently. The Commissioner wants to show that he is still in charge. What I meant to convey is that as long as the players give their interviews, they can go about their business.  I dont believe there will be any punishment unless the players refuse to meet with the NFL.

I don't believe that there is really an investigation, but the NFL must do their due diligence to make it appear that they have done an investigation and conclude that there was no wrongdoing. JMO.

This is why the NFLPA took the Tom Brady case as far as it did.  Now players are facing suspension for no other reason than a report by a less than reliable source said they did something wrong.  And that is wrong.

The reason they are getting onto Manning somewhat is because by him cooperating with the investigations it add validity to the investigation and therefore adds validity to the report.

It's basically a modern version of the Salem witch trials.  If all someone has to do is point a finger and say, "I saw it..." and because of that the league says either cooperate with the investigation or we'll suspend you.

People use the old cop line, " if you don't have anything to hide then you'll cooperate."  But that is really a weak argument because the biggest reason to not cooperate is because there is no proof or evidence they did anything wrong, it basically puts them in a position to prove they didn't do something..  And you can turn it around... if they really had any proof then they wouldn't need the player cooperation.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is why the NFLPA took the Tom Brady case as far as it did.  Now players are facing suspension for no other reason than a report by a less than reliable source said they did something wrong.  And that is wrong.

The reason they are getting onto Manning somewhat is because by him cooperating with the investigations it add validity to the investigation and therefore adds validity to the report.

It's basically a modern version of the Salem witch trials.  If all someone has to do is point a finger and say, "I saw it..." and because of that the league says either cooperate with the investigation or we'll suspend you.

People use the old cop line, " if you don't have anything to hide then you'll cooperate."  But that is really a weak argument because the biggest reason to not cooperate is because there is no proof or evidence they did anything wrong, it basically puts them in a position to prove they didn't do something..  And you can turn it around... if they really had any proof then they wouldn't need the player cooperation.

If the NFL has the proof, the players have the right to request it, don't they? If the NFL deems a report to be somewhat plausible, then co-operation or not, the NFL will start deeming it more valid. The player is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. However, if the player does co-operate, it would honor the process, somewhat, and it will be looked at with a softened set of egos, I feel. :)

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If the NFL has the proof, the players have the right to request it, don't they? If the NFL deems a report to be somewhat plausible, then co-operation or not, the NFL will start deeming it more valid. The player is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. However, if the player does co-operate, it would honor the process, somewhat, and it will be looked at with a softened set of egos, I feel. :)

But honor what process?  The process of someone pointing fingers and the NFL saying... prove you're not guilty.

It is touchy, when a report like this comes out the league has to look into, but IMO it's wrong for the league to say, we are looking into this and you have to cooperate with our investigation or be suspended?

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But honor what process?  The process of someone pointing fingers and the NFL saying... prove you're not guilty.

It is touchy, when a report like this comes out the league has to look into, but IMO it's wrong for the league to say, we are looking into this and you have to cooperate with our investigation or be suspended?

It is not hard to determine whether a report is grounded in garbage or has any kind of legs to it. To me, there were possible shipments made from the institute and in Peyton's case, it was to his residence probably. So the league wanted to get to the bottom of it. They weren't going to publicize the evidence they have in Peyton's case, same with the other players. It is not a mere pointing of fingers if they have the evidence. The NFL is not obligated to provide the evidence to the public, so it is pure conjecture on our parts to say the NFL does not have proof.

In other words, how do we really know the NFL does not have proof that shipments were made to their addresses? If they really have the evidence, the players or their lawyers need to reach out and see what they really have instead of waiting till their suspension hearing and presenting just their side of the story. That is my thought process. If it is just empty smoke, the players don't need to co-operate after that.

While the precedents may be ugly and do not give the NFL the benefit of doubt in the players' or public's eyes, the players should do their due diligence, that is what I am getting at.

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

I would say it's kind of a waste of time IMO that they cleared Peyton but then have to call these guys in to interview about the same report.  

But at the same time, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  It's stupid that they have to come in and interview.  But at the same time if they interview and cooperate they will most likely be cleared as well.  The NFL would have a tough time explaining why they cleared 18 but suspended a bunch of other guys based off the same report.  

Again it's stupid that they can't after investigating Manning just take the report and conclude it's just a nonsense report.  But just roll with it.  Unless you come into the investigation and start popping some steroids while they are interviewing you, I'm pretty sure they will clear you. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

They arn't saying "prove your not guilty" they are saying "come in and answer some questions".  

This isn't a hearing in which they are going to be handing out punishments.  It's asking them to answer some questions.  

When the NFL is investigating something it should have the right to suspend players for refusing to answer questions or for doing what they can to hold up the investigation.