Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lawsuit Filed over Hall of Fame Game....

NewColtsFan

I know it was predictable,  but still want to give props to the poster (sorry,  I don't remember who?)  who correctly predicted that someone was going to file a lawsuit against the NFL over that spectacular mess Sunday.

Surprised it's only for $5 Million.....

Just click and read for yourself......       I hope that suit is upheld and the fans win....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17276634/class-action-lawsuit-seeks-5-million-damages-nfl-hall-fame-game-cancellation

I had a feeling this would happen. You can't just reimburse the tickets and call it a day. Would it have really killed the NFL to go above and beyond on a day that was meant for celebration? Kudos to these fans who came out to this game when most saw this as a preseason fluff game.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know it was predictable,  but still want to give props to the poster (sorry,  I don't remember who?)  who correctly predicted that someone was going to file a lawsuit against the NFL over that spectacular mess Sunday.

Surprised it's only for $5 Million.....

Just click and read for yourself......       I hope that suit is upheld and the fans win....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17276634/class-action-lawsuit-seeks-5-million-damages-nfl-hall-fame-game-cancellation

That was me.. but it was also the least shocking development of the year.  This is just a cash grab by a bottom dwelling lawyer who sees an easy quick settlement of a few bucks to each person and a big payday for themselves I would imagine.  And 5 million proves it as the collective NFL likely spends that on donuts each morning.  The attorney gets a half of that (so 2.5 million)... it's class action and the little guys who got hosed each get about a $100-125 bucks each if they sign on. Even if the attorney gets a much smaller % it is still the easiest money ever... plus the NFL will likely counter with 2 million so that would mean the aggrieved people could see about 50 bucks in the end.  Class action lawsuits are almost always a massive scam by a greedy lawyer.  If this remains a single plaintiff and not a class action, then it will get laughed out of court.  In the end folks who sue the NFL are likely to get their concession stand bill paid for the next game they pay for at most. 

I hope the lawsuit gets thrown out.   i don't like the sue happy mentality. 

I drove, with my daughter, 2 hours to go to a Beatle festival.  We got there and found out it was cancelled because of storms in the area.   It was a bummer.   But I didn't sue.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I drove, with my daughter, 2 hours to go to a Beatle festival.  We got there and found out it was cancelled because of storms in the area.   It was a bummer.   But I didn't sue.

This. Let's not act like thousands of fans traveled all the way to Canton just to watch a crappy exhibition game. A majority of those fans went to experience the HOF festivities, which they were able to do. Can't believe people want to sue for what would have MAYBE been 5 minutes of quality football.

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree there are too many people wanting to sue for every little thing nowadays but people spent YEARS planning to go to this event. Hotel, flight etc. In a few cases, I'm sure the game tickets that were refunded were the cheapest item purchased.

7 minutes ago, BCoop said:

This. Let's not act like thousands of fans traveled all the way to Canton just to watch a crappy exhibition game. A majority of those fans went to experience the HOF festivities, which they were able to do. Can't believe people want to sue for what would have MAYBE been 5 minutes of quality football.

I don't think most people would want to sue, even though they were upset and disappointed.  But when you get lawyers looking for deep pockets, people figure they may as well join in.  In the end, they may get a few bucks but the lawyers will make out just fine. 

I totally agree with you, the game (especially the quality of it) had to be at the bottom of those attending expectations. 

How long before there's lawsuits when a baseball game is rained out?

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think most people would want to sue, even though they were upset and disappointed.  But when you get lawyers looking for deep pockets, people figure they may as well join in.  In the end, they may get a few bucks but the lawyers will make out just fine. 

I totally agree with you, the game (especially the quality of it) had to be at the bottom of those attending expectations. 

That sounds like something a lawyer would come up with. Lets just put a class action lawsuit against God! :scratch:----:D

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm pretty sure that's what the small print on baseball game tickets prevent. It's kind of a 'buy at your own risk' kind of a deal.

47 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree there are too many people wanting to sue for every little thing nowadays but people spent YEARS planning to go to this event. Hotel, flight etc. In a few cases, I'm sure the game tickets that were refunded were the cheapest item purchased.

Anyone who spent "years" planning to go to a preseason NFL game kind of deserve what they got. 

All the festivities happened.   Only the 3 hour exhibition football game with bench players didn't happen. 

Just now, Myles said:

Anyone who spent "years" planning to go to a preseason NFL game kind of deserve what they got. 

All the festivities happened.   Only the 3 hour exhibition football game with bench players didn't happen. 

Not saying they weren't going to be watching a low quality football game. Just that they didn't get the experience they paid for.

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

Not saying they weren't going to be watching a low quality football game. Just that they didn't get the experience they paid for.

True.   But that should be an expected risk with ball games.  

I don't get all the complaining about the cancellation.  How many people would have actually stayed if they would have postponed it a couple days?  I imagine most people would have went home, rather than paid for a few more nights at a hotel and possibly missed a few more days at work.  Then the NFL would have had to thrown tickets out of the back of a truck like it was candy at a parade to get people to show up for the game.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I would not say they "deserved" what they got, but it's not something I would do.

I think the NFL messed up in that it didn't try to offer some form of way of paying people back for their travel, hotel, and time.

Offer some gift cards for NFL gear or they could offer free tickets to any regular season game for every HOF game ticket.  

I'm not sure that this lawsuit will be a winner, especially because I believe that the HoF which is a different entity from the NFL manages that field.

But whoever was in charge didn't do enough to make things right.  

23 hours ago, JPFolks said:

The folks involved in the class action will be the 1st ones to + when the cost of tickets goes up the season after the suit is settled. People need to stop thinking that the "little guy" wins in these suits. The attorney heading the suit makes the money, it trickles down to the consumer from there. Then, just as soon as they're able, the loser of the suit passes the cost on to the public. Big business does NOT lose money. Not for long......

Not sure why this showed as a quote.... apologies to JP.

10 hours ago, Myles said:

But the the field was their fault, the Festival can't control weather but the NFL should be able to control their field conditions

On 8/12/2016 at 6:47 PM, CHR_11 said:

But the the field was their fault, the Festival can't control weather but the NFL should be able to control their field conditions

But it did not rain.   There was just a threat of rain.  

I stand by my thought that this is another stupid lawsuit.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:16 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I would not say they "deserved" what they got, but it's not something I would do.

I think the NFL messed up in that it didn't try to offer some form of way of paying people back for their travel, hotel, and time.

Offer some gift cards for NFL gear or they could offer free tickets to any regular season game for every HOF game ticket.  

I'm not sure that this lawsuit will be a winner, especially because I believe that the HoF which is a different entity from the NFL manages that field.

But whoever was in charge didn't do enough to make things right.  

That would most likely be the lawyers for the NFL, wanting to prevent the NFL from setting any kind of precedent for this type of situation.  

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

That would most likely be the lawyers for the NFL, wanting to prevent the NFL from setting any kind of precedent for this type of situation.  

Why not set a precedent?  No matter if it's a pre-season game or a regular season game if you suddenly cancel the game at the last minute (as this one was) then you hang a lot of people out to dry.  People invest a lot of money oftentimes in travel just to come and see your game.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why not set a precedent?  No matter if it's a pre-season game or a regular season game if you suddenly cancel the game at the last minute (as this one was) then you hang a lot of people out to dry.  People invest a lot of money oftentimes in travel just to come and see your game.  

IDk...ask a lawyer

On August 12, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Myles said:

One is an act of God , while the other is incompetence .

18 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If people would stop paying huge sums of money to go to a game, the NFL might feel the need to do something more.   This won't affect ratings or revenue at all.   Even the people who got totally screwed will still watch their teams and buy the merchandise.  

4 hours ago, Myles said:

If people would stop paying huge sums of money to go to a game, the NFL might feel the need to do something more.   This won't affect ratings or revenue at all.   Even the people who got totally screwed will still watch their teams and buy the merchandise.  

To me it shouldn't be about a calculation of if we are worried about losing these people as fans.

It should be about appearances.  The NFL doesn't exactly get the greatests of reputations.  So improve the reputation of the league by saying if you lose out because we canceled a game last minute we are going to do more then just refund you the money of the ticket to make this right.  

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

To me it shouldn't be about a calculation of if we are worried about losing these people as fans.

It should be about appearances.  The NFL doesn't exactly get the greatests of reputations.  So improve the reputation of the league by saying if you lose out because we canceled a game last minute we are going to do more then just refund you the money of the ticket to make this right.  

well, bottom line is they don't have to.  they know they're not going to lose any of their fans or money over something like this.  Even if they did have a few fans walk away and decide never to buy a game ticket again, there will always be someone else ready to step up and buy those tickets.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree that it would be the "right" thing to do.  Just be a drop in the bucket of their available revenue.  

But to play devils advocate here, why worry about your reputation when fans still watch, attend games and buy merchandise?

Heck, they pretty much screw a whole team and their fans out of a home game each year and the fans keep coming.  That same team has been bad for years and Jaguars still had 60,000 fans in the stands for each game last year.   

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree that it would be the "right" thing to do.  Just be a drop in the bucket of their available revenue.  

But to play devils advocate here, why worry about your reputation when fans still watch, attend games and buy merchandise?

Heck, they pretty much screw a whole team and their fans out of a home game each year and the fans keep coming.  That same team has been bad for years and Jaguars still had 60,000 fans in the stands for each game last year.   

Therein lies the problem.  The NFL is making too many decisions based on math and not enough based on if it's the right thing to do.  

This often comes back to bite people in the rear.  There is no way to be sure that this will happen to the NFL, but I would be careful with it.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Therein lies the problem.  Corporate America is making too many decisions based on math and not enough based on if it's the right thing to do.  

This often comes back to bite people in the rear.  There is no way to be sure that this will happen to the NFL, but I would be careful with it.  

fixed it for you :)